Here’s is the first polished version of the Ordinators in Mourning voices.
Based on the discussion in this thread I made a script and sent it to MorrowindShorts who was very quick to record the lines for us. Some lines are location specific (only spoken in the Catacombs) or have other conditions. Lines are mostly inspired by 34th Sermon of the 36 Lessons of Vivec and the Book of Dawn and Dusk. Motifs such as silence, weeping, ghosts, and a passionate dislike for sacrilegious outlanders feature heavily. [See .pdf script here]
The sound files are 64 kbps MP3s due to game engine restrictions, but just in case OpenMW allows it in the future I have higher quality .wav versions of them too waiting on my computer.
I have made an .esp file where the voices have been added to the game. The affected NPCs are all the generic Ordinators in Mourning as well as their Marshal, Erendes Hlevran. A new script “T_ScNpc_Mw_NecromOrd” has been assigned to these NPCs so the dialogue system recognizes them as Ordinators in Mourning, and the script should be assigned to any new Ordinators in Mourning placed in the game.
In addition to just adding new voices I’ve tweaked the Ordinators a little – to give them and the city of Necrom some extra flair:
1) Ordinators in Mourning check whether or not the player is acting in a disgraceful manner – “disturbing the silence of Necrom” – by running or jumping or having a weapon or a spell at the ready. They vocally chide the player for being disrespectful, tell them to stop, and their disposition towards them will lower by 5 points. Ignoring the warnings by flailing one’s weapons in front of an Ordinator in Mourning while jumping up and down can cause the disposition to drop all the way to zero. Ordinators with disposition of zero have a 1 in 4 chance of declaring the player to have committed a sacrilege for which the penalty is death – that is, the player gets a 5000 bounty. I’ve been testing this feature for some time now and I personally think it adds an element which has been missing from Necrom: it is a place of mourning, a holy city, the sanctity of which the Ordinators now protect. The players will now have to think twice before dashing around. [Technical note: checking if the player is being an ass is done in the “T_ScNpc_Mw_NecromOrd” script, and the dialogue system then filters a correct angry response based on the information from the script. Every now and then (20 per cent of the time?) this doesn’t seem to work like intented, and the Ordinator utter a normal line of dialogue even if the player is acting disrespectfully. I suspect that this has to do with the way the game’s hardcoded bits in regards to voiced dialogue work – and I don’t think it’s an issue. It’s nice to have a certain element of uncertainty.]
2) Ordinators in Mourning now have a higher Destruction skill and have a new fire spell. They have enough magicka to cast the spell only once. While in combat, each time the Ordinator in Mourning shouts the war-cry “Let fire consume thee!”, they get a refill of magicka to cast the spell again. This adds some variation to combat.
3) Similarly, each time the Ord-in-Mourn shouts the war-cry “The Thrice-Sealed House withstands the storm!” they gain a little health back.
All the three things above are something that I feel make for even more interesting Necrom. I hope you try it out and like it, but I understand if some don’t like these tweaks. They are relatively easy to clean out, if need be.
Things I would want to do to make Necrom and its Ordinators even better:
- Add more of them. Necrom is really empty and there are plenty of artifacts left without proper guards
- Add a couple of new written Greetings for the Ordinators in Mourning which better reflect the voiced lines – currently they use very generic guards’ greetings
[also: MorrowindShorts was really cool to work with, so if we ever need any new voice actin done he’s our guy. ]