q1-64-Mis

After a quest claim has been cleared by a review, the thread will be moved here. Discussion is still allowed.

Moderator: Lead Developers

Haplo
Lead Developer

q1-64-Mis

Post by Haplo »

Claim type: Quest
Claim ID: TR_q1-64-Mis (#1239)
Faction: Misc
Parent claim: TR_1-37-Tel (#61)
Claimed by: Red Knight
Files: None

---

Wilderness quest. The last miscellaneous quest needed for Map 1.
I would suggest adapting this quest to be used in a different area, but I'm open for suggestions. http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=13355
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
groza528
Developer Emeritus

Post by groza528 »

As I said in the thread for q1-62, I do have an idea for this last quest, but it's not entirely refined. I was going to wait and see if Red Knight wanted to put it in his showcase, and I probably will wait a little longer considering I did pitch the idea to him.
The gist of the quest is that you meet someone outside of Rangirth Ancestral Tomb (near the south edge of map 1. 20,8 I think?) He had come here with a friend, presumably to plunder the tomb, which means the player needs a reason to help him: greed, threats, deception, whatever. Anyway, the bottom line is he and his friend were attacked by a skeleton while inside the tomb. The friend was killed but the man you're talking to obviously made it out. He wants you to enter the tomb and recover some item, perhaps the hidden treasure that they were looking for to begin with, or maybe a personal effect of some sort.
There has to be some sort of a twist though because otherwise it's too simple a quest. Probably something unexpected will happen when the player emerges (Think of the quest with the ring at the bottom of the pool, except it won't just be an attack because that's not unexpected from graverobbers. Maybe there are guards outside waiting for the "other robber" to come out and you have to convince them you weren't the accomplice?) I hadn't specified a twist to Red Knight because I wanted him to use a bit of creativity there. If someone else has a suggestion, go ahead and suggest it.
Imagine my insult to find that "Raw Glass has no effect on you." I became very huffy at the implication that my intelligence could not be lowered further. Then again, I did just eat a piece of glass.
groza528
Developer Emeritus

Post by groza528 »

Sorry, 63. Not 62.
Imagine my insult to find that "Raw Glass has no effect on you." I became very huffy at the implication that my intelligence could not be lowered further. Then again, I did just eat a piece of glass.
groza528
Developer Emeritus

Post by groza528 »

Sorry for the triple post, but as you know, there's no editing here.
I didn't see the link Ludo provided. Probably ought to use that one, as mine can easily be put in another map that doesn't rely on slavery.
groza528
Developer Emeritus

Post by groza528 »

Quadruple! We really should try to get editing capabilities in here.
I just heard back from Red Knight. He *is* planning on using my idea concerning Rangirth Ancestral Tomb, and assuming he sticks with it long enough to be promoted, I imagine it should be mergeable and that should give us the proper number of wilderness quests. I don't see any reason we can't add a sixth, though. Apart from that we can keep Sload's quest around Darconis (except isn't Darconis an imperial town?) Or we could hold it until we get to Dres territory.
Starcrunch
Developer Emeritus

Post by Starcrunch »

To keep you from having to quintuple post I'll reply :P . Can't you edit posts since it's your claim? I mean in any of my quest claims I can edit every post regardless of who wrote it (I've had to be careful not to accidentally edit your posts). I can't edit any posts in other peoples claims, not even my own.

Now about Darconis; it is about 3/4 Imperial and about 1/4 Telvanni (on the east side, surrounding the tower of Nerrusa, the Mad Lord of Darconis). I like Sload's quest idea, but it actually works equally well outside of any Telvanni city (it could also be used in Dres territory, and maybe Indoril as well).

-Starcrunch
groza528
Developer Emeritus

Post by groza528 »

http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=17725&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
That's the link to Red Knight's Showcase, which contains the quest I'd like to be the last map1 misc. It needs some minor tweaks like making sure everything follows the naming convention, but considering it went through the showcase system it should be quite functional :)
Starcrunch
Developer Emeritus

Post by Starcrunch »

Did you PM Red Knight, Gorza? If he hasn't responded, can we move the quest esp here and move it into claimed (or unclaimed) for bringing it into line with naming conventions?

-Starcrunch
groza528
Developer Emeritus

Post by groza528 »

Right, he did respond. This is his response:

"Yeah. I wouldn't mind trying a new quest. I'd rather have the walking speed fixed before I try renaming anything.

I just realized how difficult it will really be to do this, with so many scripts and dialogue entries referencing the old names. It will be very easy to miss something and screw up the whole quest."

If you could tell me how to fix the pauses-while-walking issue I'd be willing to handle that or pass the information on to Red Knight, but it sounds like he's looking to work on something new. I'm not sure we have that much available really.
Starcrunch
Developer Emeritus

Post by Starcrunch »

I have quite a bit of experience updating old quest names and things like that, but you're welcome to do it (and you know the quest a lot better so it's probably easier for you).

The walking without pauses solution:
It needs to be set up like this -

Code: Select all

if ( state == 0 )
	AITravel X Y Z ;First waypoint
	set state to 1
elseif ( state == 1 )
	if ( GetAIPackageDone == 1 )
		set state to 2
	endif
elseif ( state == 2 )
	AITravel X Y Z ;second waypoint
	set state to 3
elseif ( state == 3 )
	if ( GetAIPackageDone == 1 )
		set state to 4
	endif
elseif ( state == 4 ) ;and so on and so forth
The key is that only one state block can execute in a given frame. Alternatively, you can achieve the same thing by inserting Return after each "set state to x" line in the current version of the script (the one in RK's esp; this is probably easier if you want). In general the scritps failing manifests itself when one of two things happen:
  • 1. The path is obstructed.
  • 2. When two or more AI related events occure in the same frame (This includes using GetAIPackageDone in the same frame as calling the new AITravel command; as would occur without RK's timers).
EDIT: I just remembered, I constructed a version of the plugin with this scriting corrected, but otherwise unchanged from the original.

-Starcrunch
Attachments
TR_RK_QuestShowcase_SA_FIX.esp
(60.6 KiB) Downloaded 108 times
groza528
Developer Emeritus

Post by groza528 »

Red Knight said he'll try to get the renaming done before he leaves for Japan on the 25th; if he doesn't finish he'll upload his work.
Red Knight
Developer

Post by Red Knight »

Alright, the renaming wasn't as complicated as I had thought, so I actually finished it rather quickly. I didn't see any new problems during the playtest, so here's the new version.

I wouldn't mind starting a new quest. I have a little time before I leave, and plenty of time after that. :)
Attachments
TR_q1_64.esp
(60.42 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

wait... does that mean this is a completed quest sitting inexplicably in the design forum?
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
groza528
Developer Emeritus

Post by groza528 »

Looks like it. Moving to reviewing.
groza528
Developer Emeritus

Post by groza528 »

Er... I don't know how to "claim" this in someone else's name. For the sake of getting it to reviewing I'll claim it myself, but can an admin help me to get this under Red Knight's name instead?
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

done
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
theviking
Developer Emeritus

Post by theviking »

TESAME: Clean

Fits exterior: Yes

Northmarker set: Yes
Loading errors: No

Review: Ok, this is a good small quest, as far as I can see. I only corrected two dialogue errors. I've glanced over the scripts but I don't really have to knowledge to know this for sure but I think they should work.

Comments This is a fun little quest. (I hope red knight returns)

Rating 8
Attachments
TR_q1_64.esp
(60.46 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
Interiors: 25
Reviews: more then 250!
Quest Reviews: 3
NPC claims: 2

Currently looking for quest designers.
Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

I am going to merge this file to Map1_Qv022.esp 1 and test in there...
THEO
theviking
Developer Emeritus

Post by theviking »

Merged
Interiors: 25
Reviews: more then 250!
Quest Reviews: 3
NPC claims: 2

Currently looking for quest designers.
theviking
Developer Emeritus