q7-6-Mis

After a quest claim has been cleared by a review, the thread will be moved here. Discussion is still allowed.

Moderator: Lead Developers

Haplo
Lead Developer

q7-6-Mis

Post by Haplo »

Claim type: Quest
Claim ID: TR_q7-6-Mis (#1256)
Faction: Misc
Parent claim: TR_7-1-Imp (#1061)
Claimed by: groza528
Local map: StirkExtMap
Files: TR_q7-6-Mis_Haplo_1.esp; TR_q7-6-Mis_Haplo_2.esp

---

This is the Stirk main quest. Refer to the thread here:
http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=16020
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Noirgrim
Developer Emeritus

Post by Noirgrim »

I will be working on the quest main story line. Once groza's misc quest is done, I will begin work on the entire main line.
groza528
Developer Emeritus

Post by groza528 »

Revoked because of Noirgrim's departure.
Imagine my insult to find that "Raw Glass has no effect on you." I became very huffy at the implication that my intelligence could not be lowered further. Then again, I did just eat a piece of glass.
groza528
Developer Emeritus

Post by groza528 »

I'll handle this as soon as I get the misc quests cleared up.
Nanu
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nanu »

Whoo! Stirk MQ!
"You can remove spells from your list in Morrowind. I think it was shift-click, don't quote me on that though." - Cathartis
|[url=http://tinyurl.com/mnbsqv]Forum Rules[/url]
|[url=http://tinyurl.com/mj594z]Moratorium[/url]
| [url=http://tinyurl.com/6msxag]Writing for TR[/url]
groza528
Developer Emeritus

Post by groza528 »

I've played through the main quest so far. It's good work, but apart from the overarching plot about finding undead underneath the mine, most of it has undergone some pretty serious changes. I'm going to try to talk to Noirgrim and see if he can let me know where he was planning to go with it, but people who read through Sload's outline in the "On Stirk" thread might find that a lot of things have changed.
Imagine my insult to find that "Raw Glass has no effect on you." I became very huffy at the implication that my intelligence could not be lowered further. Then again, I did just eat a piece of glass.
groza528
Developer Emeritus

Post by groza528 »

Missed yesterday due to the fact that I had some ayleid renovation to do and did not have the exact parts I needed. I'm also going to change the name of Y'Vassa to something more ayleidic; Y'vassa sounds like the name of a sloadish location and it's an ayleid ruin.
Currently, I have four sub-quests (out of probably seven? Depends on whether I separate my puzzly renovations into a separate sub-quest, which I probably will, so that would make eight.) fully functional, on the miners' side of the questline. There will also be a Polle side of the questline which will feature the same quests but from a different point of view.
El Scumbago
Developer Emeritus

Post by El Scumbago »

So, the main bad guy isn't a Sload any more?
groza528
Developer Emeritus

Post by groza528 »

Correct.
The dialogue Noir had started setting up looked like it wasn't pointing to a sload anymore. I asked him about it and he said that Sload didn't particularly like what he had written, so he changed it. I agree with the decision, as I always felt the whole sload line was a tad uber.
Anyway, the main baddie will be a lich, who may or may not have associated with the sload, but is not trying to revive one. The ruin is very clearly ayleid.
I'll try to get the whole questline written up today so those who are interested can see what it looks like now.
groza528
Developer Emeritus

Post by groza528 »

Right, so "today" ended up being a little later than expected.

SPOILER WARNING: Only read the below if you want to know what's going to happen during the Stirk main quest.

The quest begins after you have completed three of the miscellaneous quests. If one of those three quests is helping Winston with the remains of Zeek, you will get put on the miners' side of the quest. If you have not helped Winston, you start the Polle side.

Some of these quests will occur simultaneously (or partially simultaneously). Check the numbering for an idea of the order the different parts arise in.

Miners' Side
- Strange Noises
1. You receive a letter from Winston the next time you wake up (I may have to change this as some players avoid sleeping for underleveling purposes). The miners have been hearing some strange noises in the lower levels of the mine. If you come to Winston's aid, he will give you the key to the lower levels.
Enter the lower levels of the mine and you will find a zombie. There is also a door to an Ayleid Ruin, but there is too much rubble to access it. After defeating the zombie you will be prompted to report to Winston. He will in turn send you to the mine's foreman, Rogkuroth gro-Budok.

3. Rogkuroth has had the rubble cleared away from the Ayleid door. The two of you enter the ruin, to find that it contains four zombies. Defeat them and then head toward the mine entrance to regroup.

- Father in Trouble
2. In order to earn your trust, Rogkuroth asks you to visit Father Ambrogio through his tunnel into the mine. Father Ambrogio has been secretly helping the miners to get medicine etc. that Polle doesn't care enough to get for them. He has to do this in secret because Polle has threatened him to stay away from the mine and the miners.
Going back and forth, you determine that Father Ambrogio is in trouble. You tell him about the door and he agrees that it's time to stand up to Polle.

5. The Chapel is on fire! Looks like Polle went through with his threats. The front door is blocked, so you go through the tunnel in the mine to find that Father Ambrogio has been murdered (i.e. the fire hasn't reached that fire, but he's dead). You run back to tell Rogkuroth. He wants to find some proof, but by the time you get back to the tunnel, some of the supports have caught fire and collapsed and now block your way.
Follow Rogkuroth to the front door where you will find the chapel has burned down and the fire smoldered out.

- A Third Party
4. In order to regroup, Rogkuroth suggests that the historian Alenion Eulius might have an idea what they're dealing with. Alenion will tell you that he had suspected the possibility of an Ayleid city on Stirk for some time and is excited that it has been found. He wants you to find his brother Amarius as well, because in addition to being a historian, he is also an adventurer and would never forgive Alenion if he kept this to himself.
Bring the Eulius Brothers to the ruin and leave them to explore it a bit.

- Errands for the Eulius Brothers
6. When you arrive at the ruin with the Eulius Brothers, Amarius Eulius asks you to take care of a few things he's neglected on the surface. He wants you to retrieve his logbook which he has forgotten, lock the bookstore behind you, tell his uncle that he and Alenion are safe, and tell Jafan that the plans they had made will have to be postponed. Mostly this is just to eat up some time while they explore. You will be rewarded with a base ring of light.

- Another Door
7. Once you've completed all the errands for Amarius Eulius, Rogkuroth gro-Budok will inform you that he had the miners do a bit more digging, and they've uncovered a second door near the first one. Unfortunately you can't get through. Something is physically blocking it on the other side.

9. In the top portion of Vassa Tarnabye you will be able to see many ayleid gates below you-- the "operated remotely" type. Some will be open and some will be shut. One of the shut ones is what is physically blocking the lower entrance.
There are also seven Ayleid pushbuttons on the wall. Each of them aligns with one column of gates. Pressing a button will toggle the state of every gate in that column. Using logic and maybe a little trial and error, players should be able to find the single position that will allow them to get through the room into the main chamber of Vassa.

- A Little Help From My Friends
8. Amarius Eulius will tell you that they've discovered a secret passage in the first part of the ruin (all scripted; the player would not be able to find this passage himself.) There is an Ayleid tablet and a locked gate. According to Alenion Eulius, the tablet says "Speech becomes silence.
This next part is slightly cliché perhaps, sort of a "series of tests" for the player. Basically they have to make their way through this ruin, losing things that would otherwise be helpful along the way. The first tablet will put a "permanent" (until the end of the ruin) silence effect on the player. Beyond the gate (which becomes unlocked when you touch the tablet) there is a large fire in the corridor, and of course, you can't use spells to resist it. Ask your comrades about fire resistance and Rogkuroth will give you a potion that should make you immune to fire for 10 seconds.
The second tablet will remove your inventory. It's also scripted to continue removing your inventory throughout the duration of the quest, to avoid people simply dropping everything before they touch it. Beyond that are several locked doors (average level locks) but of course with no lockpicks and no spells, the player cannot get through them. This time Amarius Eulius can help. Remember, he's an adventurer, so he knows how to get past a few locked doors.
The third tablet will blind you. As I found out, Bethesda removed the blind spell effect for Oblivion, so I handled this by physically removing all the light sources. Alenion Eulius offers to lead you verbally through the rest of the ruin because he can recognize the Ayleid traps (ceiling spike traps). I'm also putting in named activators so you can "feel" the walls.
The fourth tablet will prevent Alenion Eulius from leading you any further. There will be a loud crash, mostly for effect, and then you're alone. You have to make it through the next series of traps (slow swinging blades: you can hear them even if you can't see them) blind and alone.
Finally, the fifth tablet will give everything back, and probably also add some sort of positive spell effect (edit: Greater power, reflect or resist magic fits well into the final scene) as a reward. From here you can enter the second part of the ruin, into the top portion of the chamber known as Vassa Tarnabye ("Vassa Pasasge.")

-[Final Showdown, Title TBD]
10. As you enter the main chamber of Vassa, you will find Therander Polle has beat you there. Presumably he snuck in while you were coming back through the area with all the tablets. He tells you all to sit-- there are four stone thrones in the center of the room. Upon doing so you will discover you cannot stand again.
He then proceeds to explain that he knew about the existence of the ruin all along; that's why he started the mine to begin with. He also knew that the Ayleids stored something very important inside. He believes the Ayleids had mined away most of the gold and had hidden it somewhere in the ruin, or perhaps had something even more valuable. Discovering the ruin was the reason he didn't want Father Ambrogio, for example, snooping around the mine, to learn that his true purpose was to find some Ayleid power.
The miners were mostly tools, as were, he reveals, you and your comrades. And you are still tools, as he needs the four thrones to be occupied in order to open the final chamber, Vassa Morisel ("Vassa Darkened (i.e. Bad) Hall," but presumably Polle doesn't know Ayleidic), and uncover the power within. A spell on the thrones prevents any of you from standing.
Polle will enter Vassa Morisel to find that there is indeed something of great power behind: a lich named Maugrue the Steward, a servant of the sload long before the Alessian rebellion. He was imprisoned by the Ayleids, perhaps for interrogatory purposes, and has been simply waiting since the Ayleids were defeated. Now, however, he is set free. Maugrue sees that the four of you are trapped in the thrones, helpless, and takes the opportunity to destroy you with one powerful spell, starting with Amarius Eulius.
What Maugrue clearly doesn't realize is that killing Amarius breaks the bond that kept the rest of you seated in your thrones. With proper timing you can use the reflective greater power from the fifth Ayleid tablet just before the lich attacks you, causing him to destroy himself instead. Or I may decide to go the magic resistance route instead, and just make it a tough fight.

Epilogue: Mourning his brother's death, Alenion Eulius decides to try to fill his shoes and becomes an adventurer. Cassyndrian Eulius takes over the duties of the bookstore.
Polle is dead, killed by the lich. His fortune is divided among the miners, who go off in their own separate directions. Some will head toward Cyrodiil, including Winston, who will devote his life to the Nine with the intention of returning to Stirk and rebuilding the Chapel (sometime after the events of the game.) Others will leave for various parts of Tamriel (i.e. disabled). Rogkuroth gro-Budok will take Therander Polle's house and the mine will close down.

Polle's Side
You begin Polle's side of this questline if you have completed three of the five miscellaneous quests, but helping Winston is not among them.

-Strange Noises
This is the portion of the questline I am currently working on. Everything above this is complete.
1. Polle finds you to tell you that the miners have been hearing noises in the lower levels of the mine. He wants you to investigate the cause of these noises because it has kept the miners from digging in that area. He suspects foul play.
Delving into the lower parts of the mine, you find that a zombie is creating the noises. You also find a strange door, but it's blocked by rubble. Dispatch the zombie and report your findings to Polle.
3. Polle tells you to bring one of the miners (haven't decided which yet, but essentially Polle's "pet." Bribed to keep Polle apprised of mine goings-on etc.) into the ruin with you. When you do so, you will discover and defeat four zombies.

-Father in Trouble
2. Polle has discovered that there is a tunnel in the mines that is unaccounted for, leading to the "upper level." The foreman, Rogkuroth gro-Budok claims no knowledge of where it leads and says that he had only recently noticed it himself; he rarely goes that far into the mines. Polle tells you that at the other end of that tunnel, you will find the person who is likely responsible for the zombie (in reality he knows this is false).
When Polle tells you about the tunnel, it conveniently but inexplicably changes from a "needs a key" level lock to an "average" level lock. If you can get it open, you can follow it to the Chapel, revealing Father Ambrogio as the source of the undead.
Polle asks you to deliver a letter to the guard captain in Fort Stirk. If you open it you will find it to be in code-- could this mark the first instance of a coded letter in OB? If you are able to decode it you will find a confession that Polle is sending someone (his pet miner) to kill Father Ambrogio and burn the Chapel, and he would like the guards to look the other way if presented with any evidence. The letter will also contain hints of blackmail in it to provide a reason for the guard to listen.
5. When you come looking for Amarius Eulius, you will find the Chapel on fire. Unlike the miners' line, the quest ends here; you do not try to save Father Ambrogio.

-A Third Party
4. The miner will suggest that you find Amarius Eulius, the adventurer, as he likely has a lot of experience with these sorts of ruins and may be able to help figure out what's going on.
Amarius Eulius will suggest that you talk to his brother Alenion Eulius as well. Alenion Eulius has speculated toward the possibility of an Ayleid Ruin beneath Stirk for some time, and should really be included in this expedition.

-Errands for the Eulius Brothers
-Another Door
-A Little Help from my Friends
-The Final Showdown, or Title TBD
6. All of these will be identical to the miners' side, except substitute the pet miner in for Rogkuroth gro-Budok. Sorry for not making it more unique, but I really don't know what Polle would do differently if you worked with him vs. with the miners.
Last edited by groza528 on Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
groza528
Developer Emeritus

Post by groza528 »

The questline is posted in its entirety along with a bold marker pointing out where I am in constructing it.
Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

great! i dont think the problem of the not-too-unique storyline ending for poole is a serious trouble since people can only play one anyways.

you are doing an awesome job man, i love ya
In hoc signo vinces

"you sex craved blue colored red eyed squirrel messiah of a fictional video game world!"
-PoHa!
El Scumbago
Developer Emeritus

Post by El Scumbago »

It's awesome indeed, especially if the part where Eulius guides you through the room where you're blind, but what about the next part? It would be difficult even with a 5.1 surround, and most don't even have one (me neither). Are you sure it's going to be playable?
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

*doesn't actually read the monster post in an effort to avoid spoilers*
I remember you mentioning the part about blindness via a perfectly dark room, how do you plan on keeping the player from pulling out a torch?
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

Or a potion of nighteye?
<insert witty signature here. i might spend time trying to come up with something, but its not like anybody reads these anyway>
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

You guys think too much :-/

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

inventory disable seems easiest...
In hoc signo vinces

"you sex craved blue colored red eyed squirrel messiah of a fictional video game world!"
-PoHa!
groza528
Developer Emeritus

Post by groza528 »

Sorry, I somehow missed these posts.
I'll DEFINITELY need more opinions on the blind part. The player will be silenced and have inventory removed at that stage. You can "feel" the walls, to make it a little easier to navigate, but it may still be tough; if it's too rough I'll have to edit that part of the quest a bit.

Anyway, the miners' side of the quest is up and ready for some preliminary testing. I expect a fair number of bugs; please report bugs.

http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=16392
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

I love you

Lady Nerevar
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lady Nerevar »

as do i :D
In hoc signo vinces

-PoHa!
El Scumbago
Developer Emeritus

Post by El Scumbago »

I've got a suggestion about the last part where you have to go through the swinging blades, deaf and blind. Before the pc activates the fourth tablet, Eulius tells what this part is about (swinging blades, darkness). When the crash occurs and the pc is alone in the dark, the journal gets updated, saying that you have to rely on your judgement to pass through.

Then, when the pc steps into the blades area (no actual blades being there though) a timer starts. If he remains still for more than 3 seconds he begins losing significant amounts of health. What the player has to do is use his most basic instict (run forest, run!). What do you think Groza?
groza528
Developer Emeritus

Post by groza528 »

Hello all, I apologize that I haven't been around much lately. It has been a pretty brutal semester.
Anyway, I'm just popping in to say hello, let people know I'm still alive and this isn't forgotten. I'm also going to post the current WiP in case my system crashes or something *knock on wood*
Attachments
TR_Stirk_v0.92.esp
(1.32 MiB) Downloaded 124 times
groza528
Developer Emeritus

Post by groza528 »

This version has both sides of the main quest, but still needs to be tested. I won't have access to the CS over the break, but I might be able to talk someone through changes when the first bug reports come in.
Attachments
TR_Stirk_v0.93.esp
(1.33 MiB) Downloaded 123 times
theviking
Developer Emeritus

Post by theviking »

Very cool, I'll let my playtesters test it, I hope any of them has oblivion. Sending this to reviewing..
groza528
Developer Emeritus

Post by groza528 »

At Haplo's request, here are some console commands that *should* skip the requirement to actually do the misc quests leading up to this:

SetStage Tr07q001 40
SetStage Tr07q003 100
SetStage Tr07q004 100

The three of those should initiate the Polle side of the quest. To do the miners' side, replace any one of those with

SetStage Tr07q002 40
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

groza is an idiot. a complete fucking idiot.

let me explain this to all of you who couldn't figure it out on your own:

The miners are the proletariats (his name was fucking marks for god's sake). The nobles (orlando philo, the hardworking civil servant, horatia eulius, the concerned progressive, the brothers, the inquisitive scholars) are the bourgeois in all its "good" forms. These are the lower class and the middle class. Polle (the corporate businessman and robber baron), and Captain Stirk (the enabling politician and inheritor of an "old money" dynasty) are the upper class.

Throughout the quest, the miners blame their problems on the bourgeois, when they really come from Therander Polle and Captain Stirk. The nobles, meanwhile, look down on the miners as uneducated and poor. They're pitted against each other, when the real bad guys are the people richer than all of them. Finally at the end, they realize their mistake and unite to throw Polle and Stirk off the island.

Which is why making the player work for Polle is retarded, wrong, and really perplexing. I had never portrayed Polle as anything less than a complete ass. I don't know why groza would even consider making the player work for Polle, it shows a complete lack of understanding of the basic situation, even if he didn't get the whole metaphoric story.

EDIT: Reading through the quest, its lost all the meaning of my original quest. I wanted to change some things, I didn't want it gutted.

I think this should be rewritten. There should only be 1 side, not 2, and it should be the miner's side. We wrote the quest with the miners in mind, everything else was an afterthought.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
theviking
Developer Emeritus

Post by theviking »

Uhm Sload, you realise that the questline already was made for over a half year or so? Also working for the bad upper class is something that is done before, in the Aylied treasure hunt. I don't know if the questline for Polle is bad, because I played the other side. If it truly is horrible, then off course it will be removed. But if it isn't, I want to hear the opinion of more people before we take a drastic step and remove it.
Interiors: 25
Reviews: more then 250!
Quest Reviews: 3
NPC claims: 2

Currently looking for quest designers.
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

either you didnt read my post or you didnt understand it. the quest has been rewritten to remove everything about it that mattered.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

File updated by groza to fix playability issue with hide and seek mini-quest and the Polle side of the MQ.

theviking
Developer Emeritus

Post by theviking »

This is approved.