q1-77-Tel

Moderator: Lead Developers

Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Claiming.

I know I'm a new modder and not allowed to have two claims yet, but q2-10-Mis is nearly done and I want something to work on after that, and as the forum is about to go offline I might not be able to claim this once I'm finished.

I know this is one of the higher-up Telvanni quests that might be redesigned as a result of some super secret conversation on a super secret core part of this forum, which is why I will carefully dissect Faalen's WIP and make it so that parts can easily be taken out or merged into this quest line. Besides that I will finish it up according to the original plans.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Post by Bloodthirsty Crustacean »

Granting, with the proviso that 2-10 takes much greater priority.

If we can get plans for Thieves and Fighters sorted, a released quested Map 2 is just over the hill.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals
a man melts the sand so he
can see the world outside

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Any news? (I understand 2-10 has priority)
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Did some brief exploration through the new ints (found two or three minor errors, will provide a list soon-ish) and took a quick look at the quest structure so far to familiarize myself with Faalen's work. Made no actual edits yet.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Hah! No 2-10 anymore!

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

touché

edit edit: I'll do some work on this once I get bored with NPCing. If there's anyone else who wants to have this claim go ahead and say so and it can be revoked though.
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

I've been compiling a list of things I wanted to change in the file I was working from, only to realize it wasn't Faalen's most recent WIP. So I'm now determining which parts of his original and more complete file I will merge into his newer and cleaner file and which parts I will redo. This was going to be a rather impressive planning-progress-update, but it isn't so much now. Meh. Anyway, the new file is indeed a lot cleaner, and it'll be easier to work with. Faalen did a good job keeping the questline clear so it's nice to work with. No WIP because the scarce amount of physical progress I had done is now obsolete.

edit: One thing I'd like to know is if it is okay to replace the part where the player needs to kill a bunch of vampires in the tomb that's the cause of Aranyon Pass being haunted with a lich. It'd make much more sense and make the cloning of the tomb redundant. I frown on tomb cloning so even if the vampires are to be kept I'll redo this bit.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Why wrote:edit: One thing I'd like to know is if it is okay to replace the part where the player needs to kill a bunch of vampires in the tomb that's the cause of Aranyon Pass being haunted with a lich. It'd make much more sense and make the cloning of the tomb redundant. I frown on tomb cloning so even if the vampires are to be kept I'll redo this bit.
Could you clarify this a bit? You want to delete the bit about vampires in a tomb, and replace it with what?

Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Currently, to gain access to the Ranyon Ruhn Temple Archives, the player has to root out a vampire infestation in the Erushara Ancestral Tomb in Aranyon Pass. Existing dialogue says Aranyon Pass is haunted. Faalen created a new door directly in front of the original Erushara door which leads to a new cell called "Vampire-Infested Ancestral Tomb". This door gets enabled at the appropriate moment in the quest, so that when the player tries to enter the Erushara tomb he instead enters this "Vampire-Infested" tomb and can confront the vampires and proceed with the quest. This creates several problems, one of which is that this Vamp-infested cell can only be entered once so any items dropped there will be forfeit to the player after this moment in the quest. So I'd like to eliminate this cloned tomb by 1) moving the vampires to the actual Erushara tomb and enabling them (and disabling the undead) at the appropriate time or 2) (and this is what I'd prefer) get rid of the entire vampire infestation and the cloned tomb and instead send the player after a lich that has corrupted the Erushara tomb (matches existing dialogue better, a new vampire infestation in a tomb that is already pouring undead into a pass makes little sense).
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Yeah it doesn't have to be haunted. Or even, have the vampires be the one doing the haunting.

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Hi, this needs an update soon!

Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Made some progress, will upload my WIP tomorrow (don't have it here right now)
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Apologies. In Dutch, "tomorrow" means "three days later".

I've finished checking existing dialogue and added in some stuff from the older file, and nixed the duplicate tomb. Currently there's just one vampire in the tomb but I'll re-add a couple more.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

It's okay, thanks for the update. Aren't you going on vacation soon?

Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

I am on vacation, in fact. I'm just one of those idiots who can't leave these forums alone even if all I've got is my smartphone. :P

Edit: triple post. Can someone clear up that mess please? Blame the smarthone + crappy internet.
Last edited by Why on Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Any news on this?

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

...Why?

Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Oh, I never saw the first message, I'm sorry. I usually read all the posts here, so I didn't specifically watch my own claim threads for new posts. I haven't done much about this one, since my time is better spent on my NPC claim because it is of higher priority and I don't know the extent of the Telvanni quests redesign and whether it'll hit this chain or not (I figured it would).

I'd like to keep this claim though, as I think I'm by far the most familiar with this story and file. It'd be hard for a new claimant to start working on this. I promise I'll be able to bump up the percentage soon though, as university has started and somehow it leaves me with way more spare time than my holidays.

If you (or BC, or the core) insist on this being revoked and passed on to a more active quester I won't protest though. I think I'm the ideal candidate to finish this, but hey, you're the boss, not me ;)
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Post by Bloodthirsty Crustacean »

Yeah, the limbo status of the Telvanni line puts this on the back-burner. It sounds like you're still interested in this, so I'm fine with you keeping it for now, but if you do reach a point where you have no intention of working on this claim, make sure to let us know so there's no confusion.

And once Telvanni is up and running, you'll be back on the monthly update timetable properly.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals
a man melts the sand so he
can see the world outside

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

edit: nevermind fixed. I'm stupid. Totally.
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

An actual file update this time. Re-added the Temple archives, quest is playable up to the point you find the journal.
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

drop.

Might reclaim in the future, if it is decided that the quest plan is still okay. For the time being however, I don't want to be distracted by feeling the need to work on this one every now and then.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Revoked per user request