q2-5-Mis

After a quest claim has been cleared by a review, the thread will be moved here. Discussion is still allowed.

Moderator: Lead Developers

Beave
Developer

Post by Beave »

First WIP up. "The Trials of Age" and "Gone to Ground" have been completed and partially tested (Trials of Age should be fully functional). "Quality Time" is about 30-40% finished. Concerning this quest, I'll probably have to unlock the armory door, and I remember there being some strange script attached to one of the jail keys.

@gro-Dhal: Out of curiosity, what did you mean by naming the quest "Gone to Ground"?
gro-Dhal
Lead Developer

Post by gro-Dhal »

It means the same thing as to 'lay low', ie a criminal basically hiding from the law.
Beave
Developer

Post by Beave »

You have enlightened me with your superior knowledge.
Beave
Developer

Post by Beave »

New WIP. All three quests are finished and will be tested for the remaining 10%. Anyone's thoughts are welcome (Faalen :P ).
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Post by Bloodthirsty Crustacean »

Tested two of three.

Endurance potion is flat-out broken at present. When you speak to her and agree to fetch the potion, she says "here you go" and gives you one! The journal implies I got this from Llothis Dralor. Presumably you've got a mismatched Choice filter. Please remember to playtest your quests yourself first, to pick up obvious problems like this.

Staron is functional, but needs a bit of tweaking. The Ordinators should be NoLored, otherwise they talk like residents of the town. If 'small favor' is a Beth topic, that's okay, but otherwise I'd reassign that all to 'Staron'.

When Staron teleports away, you should make him actually do this. Do basically what you do now, but have MenuMode == 1 -> return in the disabling part. Then, rather than straight-out disable him, have him cast a random non-visible on-self spell (Telekinesis is a favourite) on himself. Add a check for "GetSoundPlaying "Mysticism Hit"", and then proceed to the disabling bit. All looks a lot prettier. You can check various TR quests for examples of this. Off the top of my head, Llothanis's Daedric Cultist one, the RR MQ, and possibly also my recent IC upload. There are others. If you need help, i can provide the necessary script.

When you meet him in Cephorad Keep, have him disable on CellChange, not immediately.

I spoke to the Ordinators initially, then spoke to Staron and helped him. What should have happened is that the Ordinators were gone when I returned, but instead they were still there, and asked me 'how my mission with Staron was going' though I could not respond.

Anyway, I might test the other one later, but that's enough to go on for now. Please make sure you test it yourself also before uploading the next file.

Otherwise, pretty solid work Beave. :)
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals
a man melts the sand so he
can see the world outside

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Beave
Developer

Post by Beave »

Thanks for the feedback. This is why I intend to suggest testing before it goes into actual reviewing. Most of these things must have escaped my eye while building, but the endurance potion, I thought I fixed that... oh well, these things will be implemented and tested sooner or later.

"small favor" is a topic I created. Generally a quest NPC greets the PC with a general topic as such, which leads into the quest. If I were to put everything into "Staron" I would have to make the Ordinator's greeting go into too much detail about their mission, which is not very immersive.

Also if I recall correctly you suggested that the Ordinators remain and give the PC a chance to confront them, because them simply disappearing wouldn't make much sense.

I disable them when the PC enters an interior cell, since there is a cell border right beside the Ordinators.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Beave wrote:Thanks for the feedback. This is why I intend to suggest testing before it goes into actual reviewing.
Actually that is the present system. ;) It's not written down, but then our review process isn't. Please do playtest your quests - it is our official policy.
Beave wrote:"small favor" is a topic I created.

Despite this reasoning, such 'generic' topics are generally a bad idea. They can cause bad incompatibilities with other mods. As an example, if another mod added the topic "favor", but in dialogue the guy said "I have a small favor to ask", it would not get hyperlinked and the quest would be broken. Either use an existing Bethesda generic topic (which cannot break anything that isn't already broken) or use a specific topic that is highly unlikely to break anything. (e.g. "Excuse me, %PCName, we're looking for an outlander called Staron")
Beave wrote:Also if I recall correctly you suggested that the Ordinators remain and give the PC a chance to confront them, because them simply disappearing wouldn't make much sense.
I did, but that chance wasn't offered when I spoke to them, so I got confused. ;) Please add said chance.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Beave
Developer

Post by Beave »

Before Haplo drops by with his routine notification, I'll go ahead and give a progress update.

I haven't worked on this for weeks, mainly because of marching band season. But all of that is over; soon I expect to be finishing this. The work I have done since the stop is just some minor bug-fixing and testing.
Beave
Developer

Post by Beave »

Hey look, it's a month later!

I'm afraid that no progress has been made. It turns out that life did not clear up, and for various reasons. But I'm back now, which is good. I hope to be making some progress shortly; gonna have to re-familiarize myself with everything again...
Beave
Developer

Post by Beave »

Alright, as far as I'm concerned, all three quests are finished. "Trials of Age" and "Quality Time" should not have any problems, and I have not found any problems with "Gone to Ground", although if one of you would offer an extra pair of eyes that would greatly be appreciated. The journal entries in that quest were re-ordered, but I'm pretty sure that everything is in line, regardless.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

So, ready for review? I'll see if I can get the time to check out yours and MowSkwoz's lines this weekend.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Okay, pretty much finished. A few last fixes and then this is all done up! :)

Endurance Potion is perfect.

Staron needs a few fixes:

Ordinators need to be NoLore scripted.

When the player has both scrolls, they are only given the option of giving him an Almsivi scroll. Give them the choice of both.

When the player finishes the quest (Almsivi or Divine), the Ordinators keep talking about 'that's some interesting information' even after the quest is over. Needs to be filtered.

When the player gives Staron a Divine scroll, he does not leave Cephorad Keep after cell change. That ought to happen.

When the player tells the Ordinators he helped Staron, they call him "Telvanni slime" regardless of faction. So even the head of House Indoril or the Temple would get such a telling off. :P

Quality Time was a very good quest (nice work gro-Dhal on an excellent plan, and Beave for backing it up with well done dialogue!)

There are two muskflies who accosted me as soon as I went out on the balcony, coming from the west. If you can locate the levelled creatures in question, make a note of them so the merger can delete or move them.

If possible, move Mohryl slightly away from the ledge - at present he sometimes 'slides off' through random chance, like the siltstrider guys at Balmora.

Use experimentation to find out which of the WanderAI Idle values makes the NPC do the 'looking over their shoulder' animation, and set Mohryl to 100 on that, and 0 on everything else. It adds a touch of extra class.

The brother could perhaps have some brief commentary on your quest through Greetings? His complete nonchalance is a bit unbelievable. (So like "you are really going to indulge him? You're far too generous")

Tell the merger to either unlock the upper Mothrivra Jail door, or replace the wandering guard at the 'window' with a static guard. I'd prefer the latter. (When you upload your file, and indeed when anyone uploads a final file, please include a list of the things that involve changing/deleting existing objects that the merger should be aware of - see my Imp Cult file)

In dialogue about 'female guard' with other guard, rather than "if I wanted to spend time with her though my best bet", have "if you actually wanted to spend time with her your best bet". This seems more like the flippant comment its meant to be.

If there is not one already, place a pathgrid in the Daranith house.

After Mohryl is 'arrested', he should be put in a cell on CellChange, rather than just remain where he was standing.

Otherwise, very good. I really like it. :)
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Beave
Developer

Post by Beave »

Thanks for the review BC, greatly appreciated. A couple things that need clearance:
Bloodthirsty Crustacean wrote: When the player tells the Ordinators he helped Staron, they call him "Telvanni slime" regardless of faction. So even the head of House Indoril or the Temple would get such a telling off.

After Mohryl is 'arrested', he should be put in a cell on CellChange, rather than just remain where he was standing.
1. As the journal suggests, the Ordinators assume the PC to be a Telvanni agent. I did not, however, consider the PC being a head of a faction...

2. The way that works is that Mohryl doesn't get moved until about 6 hours have passed, since the guard does mention "processing his details" first, but now that I think about it, 6 hours seems unreasonably long. I don't mind either shortening the time or just removing the time thing altogether, but it still seems a bit too sudden for Mohryl to immediately be put in a cell. What do you think?
RelinQ

Post by RelinQ »

I would think to keep a timer there and probably just change it to one or two hours, otherwise the mentioning of "processing" seems a little pointless

I suppose as well, if you want to get into pedantics, say it was after 12:00am, you could just set the cell change to day break (like 6:00am) the next day. thats probably more trouble than its worth though.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

I'd put in a seperate response for senior House Dunmer other than Telvanni, and also for middle-ranked Indoril and Temple. These characters should not be attacked.

As to putting him in the cell, do it immediately. Realism isn't really a concern here. Or if it is, then give them some dialogue about it to explain why it looks like a bug is happening. :P But just do it immediately.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Beave
Developer

Post by Beave »

A few new updates and concerns:
Bloodthirsty Crustacean wrote: Ordinators need to be NoLore scripted.

When the player gives Staron a Divine scroll, he does not leave Cephorad Keep after cell change. That ought to happen.
1. Both Ordinators are NoLore scripted; there may just be several Temple-specific topics that are not filtered with NoLore.

2. This was not a problem when I tested it. Are you sure you encountered this error?
Bloodthirsty Crustacean wrote: I'd put in a seperate response for senior House Dunmer other than Telvanni, and also for middle-ranked Indoril and Temple. These characters should not be attacked.
Do you know any way of accomplishing this other than making a billion different entries?
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

1: Okay, make a note to merger to get me to fix what must be poor filtering in Tel Mothrivra (I don't find this hard to believe, from what I remember) when we have a TR_Mainland.esp to play with.

2: If you don't have some other kind of weird limit on it (like with moving guy into jail cell), and it works for you, then just assume it's a crazy bug my end and leave it for now.

3: Just make one entry for the Temple and each House (excluding Telvanni, but unfortunately including all the Vvardenfell Houses as well as their TR versions). On each one, set the minimum PC Rank box to Kinsman for all the Houses apart from Indoril, who should have Lawman (lowest ranked 'member'), and the Temple who should have Acolyte.

Do this using the CS's 'copy' function.

So yes, you kinda have to make a bajillion entries, but no, that shouldn't take long and won't cause problems.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Beave
Developer

Post by Beave »

Done. I have a feeling that we may have to perform a large-scale checking of dialogue entries for poor filtering, sooner or later.
Attachments
MergerNotes.txt
(983 Bytes) Downloaded 104 times
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Okay, I just added the dialogue of the brother to Greetings where it's more logical, but this file should now be ready to merge. Excellent.
Attachments
TR_q2-5-Mis_Beave_4.esp
(57.24 KiB) Downloaded 106 times
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Not
Lead Developer

Post by Not »

This file is now ready to be merged. Again, please double check it just to make sure, though I'm 95% positive it's good.
Attachments
TR_q2-5-Mis_Beave_4.rar
(15.77 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
Not another memory

...And so my bad karma gets worse
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Claim has been merged into TR_Mainland and has been released with Sacred East.