q2-26-Mis

After a quest claim has been cleared by a review, the thread will be moved here. Discussion is still allowed.

Moderator: Lead Developers

Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

q2-26-Mis

Post by Bloodthirsty Crustacean »

Claim type: Quest
Claim ID: TR_q2-26-Mis (#2398)
Faction: Misc
Parent claim: TR_2-40-Imp (#103)
Claimed by: MSam
Files: TR_q2-26-Mis_MSam_1.esp; TR_q2-26-Mis_MSam_2.esp; TR_q2-26-Mis_MSam_3.esp; TR_q2-26-Mis_MSam_4.esp; TR_q2-26-Mis_MSam_5.esp

---

Helnim miscs quests 5-8 in attached doc. Do not work on quest 1-4.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals
a man melts the sand so he
can see the world outside

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Doc file summarising all Helnim quests attached. You are to work only on quests 5-8.
Attachments
HelnimMiscPlans.doc
(35.5 KiB) Downloaded 197 times
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
MSam
Developer

Post by MSam »

I'd love to be able to finally do something. I'm sure I can handle this, so can I please claim them?

The only question I have is, would the naming conventions for these be something like 'TR_m2_q_26_[object]'?
"Thank you to the Makers of Rules. To the Breakers of Backs. To the sincere Autocrats. To the false Democrats. To the Builders of Walls. To the Painters of Lines. To those who Tattoo Numbers. To those who point fingers. To those who count their greed. To those who split by colour. To those who smile their lies.

Thank you so very much."
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

I'm not sure what the naming conventions are for quests, but I know that's not it. It's something like TR_m2_q#-##_object or TR_q2-##_object.

If you want to claim a claim, you must first click the green "Claim" button in the top right corner of the claim thread.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Actually those are the naming conventions he gave. ;)

Anyway, yes, Sam, please do press the Claim button then I can grant this. :)

Haplo Edit: Actually they are not, if you look closely.

BC: Actually, they are, if you check the most recent and up-to-date questing stuff like my area claim (e.g. "TR_m3_q_A7_ashreward") or the [url=http://www.tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=21296]most recent guidelines[/url].

In any case, using hyphens in object names is inadvisable, as scripts sometimes break when they encounter them due to one of many Morrowind engine quirks.

Haplo Edit: I'm referring to what you said: "the naming conventions he gave" which, before you edited his post for him and changed what it said, were TR_q-2-26 or something similar, and they were wrong. The example I gave was different from both of his suggestions in his post, before your edit. But it's not a big deal, so let's not carry this on.

I definitely didn't edit his post. Sorry if you thought I was being underhanded.

Haplo Edit: Someone did, and I don't think it was him; there were two examples in his post when I replied to it, and I think there were two after I hit submit, but there was only one once I read your post. Very curious... who is going around ghost-editing?
Last edited by Bloodthirsty Crustacean on Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

MSam
Developer

Post by MSam »

I will do exactly as it says in the description. Woohoo.

Sorry, I'm still familiarising myself with the naming conventions, since there seems to be a bit of difference between the various quests on the Mainland file.

So, (for example) the cookie quest, the journal entry will be 'TR_m2_H_Cookierep'. That's easy, but any objects/scripts would be titled 'TR_m2_q_H8_Cookieobject'.

So (if I have this right, it's TR_m2_quest_[Initial of Area of quest][quest number in the area]_object).

Sorry for any mix up, it's just the recommended guide 'Morrowind Quester Guidelines.pdf' made by MMMowSkwoz no longer exists.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Granting.

Okay, this time you have got the procedure wrong. :P

All the naming conventions can be found in that thread I linked in my above post.

For this claim:

Objects: TR_m2_q_26_Object
Journals: TR_m2_He_Journal

The 'letter and number' thing for objects is when you're doing a quest directly in an NPCing claim, in which case you use the 'Area Code' of that NPC claim. (so if working on Map3 Detailing Area 7, you use TR_m3_q_A7_Object, with A7 replacing the quest claim number)
MSam
Developer

Post by MSam »

So all the quests fit under the umbrella of #26? Gotcha.

I've finished the Cookie Quest (which didn't require objects) and have written half of the Literary Critic. For that quest, do I need to write my own book/seal letter? I think the seal would be fine but I wasn't sure on the book.
"Thank you to the Makers of Rules. To the Breakers of Backs. To the sincere Autocrats. To the false Democrats. To the Builders of Walls. To the Painters of Lines. To those who Tattoo Numbers. To those who point fingers. To those who count their greed. To those who split by colour. To those who smile their lies.

Thank you so very much."
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Maybe send a request to the Literary Request thread, or use an existing book, or borrow one from Daggerfall or Oblivion from TIL.

P.S., I like your dialogue for the Orc baker, you captured him well. Without that this quest would have been very boring.

I would suggest changing the person the cookies are being prepared for to either the Governor or one of the guests up in his banquet hall. (Because that's the meal the cooks are currently working on)
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

MSam
Developer

Post by MSam »

Took a break between Modern and Ancient History to finish up the Governess' first quest. Woohoo, I'm glad you liked the Orc. :D I have edited the dialogue to accommodate the Governor.

I've edited the script on Cyria Flavius, so if the player kills her you don't get stuck with a never ending quest. If this isn't ok though, I'll delete.

Thank you so very much."
MSam
Developer

Post by MSam »

Not clean yet, but I edited a script onto Darran Flavius so when he dies, your journal updates to say he's dead and finish the quest. Same with Cyria. I removed ownership over his bed, since he invites you to sleep in it (...rawr?).

With the 'Deep Conversations' quest, I'm having a problem with a particular script. I could find a reference for a script that used 'hours' as a convention, so I changed it to 1 day since he's researching for the rest. Problem is, my script that I usually use for days passed isn't working/compiling. If anyone could take a look, I'd be grateful. Otherwise, I will look into it more on the weekend:

Code: Select all

Begin TR_m2_q_26_deepconvoscript

short currentDay
short localdaysPassed
Short doonce

if ( currentDay != Day )
	set currentDay to Day
	set localdaysPassed to localdaysPassed + 1
endif

If ( localdaysPassed == 1 ) ;so if one day has passed then this should activate
	If ( doonce == 0 ) ;as long as the doonce = 0...
		Journal TR_m2_He_deepconvo 30 ;then the Journal entry is given
		set doonce to 1 ;Do Once has been done...once...
		StopScript TR_m2_q_26_deepconvoscript ;script ends once fulfilled
	endif
endif
endif

End

Thank you so very much."
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

You've got at least one surplus endif there, and you should I think have the localdaysPassed filter set to 2, because it gets set to 1 as soon as the counter is started (i.e. when currentDay changes from 0 to 22 or whatever).

Also yeah, please keep a note of any objects or references from TR_Mainland which you edit in any way. These are the kinds of things which can get awkward during merging, causing duplicates etc. Best form is to leave a clearly labeled post, or a .txt file, documenting all these things so that on merge they can all be swiftly checked.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

MSam
Developer

Post by MSam »

Ok, so now it's this:

Begin TR_m2_q_26_deepconvoscript

short currentDay
short localdaysPassed
short doonce

if ( currentDay != Day )
   set currentDay to Day
   set localdaysPassed to localdaysPassed + 1
endif

If ( localdaysPassed == 2 )
   If ( doonce == 0 )
      Journal TR_m2_He_deepconvo 30 
      set doonce to 1
      StopScript TR_m2_q_26_deepconvoscript 
   endif
endif

End
And it still isn't working (still complains it hasn't been compiled). Bah. Apart from this, the 3rd quest is finished. Will start the 4th one as soon as I work out what this is...

EDIT: Fixed it - I made a new script, and cut out the 'StopScript' line.

Thank you so very much."
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Oh, yeah, it must not have liked referring to a script that doesn't yet exist (i.e. itself which has not yet been saved)

When you're making scripts self-referential like that, for ease and efficiency I tend to comment out the self-referential line with a ; and then once its been saved just delete the ;.

I assume you have now reinstated the StopScript line?
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

MSam
Developer

Post by MSam »

I did, although I had to make another script because the old one was also refusing to recompile since it stated I had problems with my 'Hour' function...which I removed.

Sorry to ask ANOTHER question about scripting, but I've finished the 4th quest with the exception of this one script. I've attached this script to an invisible activator below the floor, but the script on it activates *before* the object is actually enabled.

begin TR_m2_q_26_temisohno

short doonce

if ( GetJournalIndex "TR_m2_He_lostfound"  = 40 ) ;so if your journal entry is this
if ( GetDisabled == 1 ) ; then it will be enabled
enable
endif
elseif ( GetDisabled == 0 );otherwise, it's disabled
disable
endif

if ( doonce == 0 )
    if ( GetDistance Player <= 256 ) ;but when you get near it, you get 
        Journal "TR_m2_He_lostfound" 50 ;this journal entry
        set doonce to 1 ;ensure it only happens once.
    endif
endif

end
I'm guessing I've overlooked something in the script, or one of the basics. Will the script of the distance/journal activate even if it hasn't been enabled in game yet? I've ticked the 'references persist' box. Is there something fundamentally wrong with the script? I assumed that if the object was disabled that scripts couldn't active on them. Any alternatives would be nice - would it be possible for this to work on a physical activator (like...a fork?).

Besides that, I'm almost finished so yaaay.

EDIT: Right, I also just read the edits above. The name convention example I originally posted was the one above - 'TR_m2_q_26_[object]'. I'm not aware of anyone changing it. At any rate though, the guide that MMMowSkwoz has written is gone. Is there anywhere I could access this?

Thank you so very much."
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

A script will run if an object is disabled (otherwise how could it re-enable itself?). Disabling something just removes its graphics from the world - everything else (often including collision) remains the same.

In any case, that's a very roundabout way of doing what you want. A far simpler option would just be to replace the 'doonce' with ( GetJournalIndex TR_m2_He_lostfound == 40 ).

On MowSkwoz's guide, I think that is now gone. The more important elements of questing protocol I am periodically updating into that thread I linked you to.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

MSam
Developer

Post by MSam »

Ugh, of course. Thanks, that worked a charm. :P

Well, I've run through all the quests, and they're working fine for me. I've uploaded a document for all the things I've added/changed in this post. I've changed the end of the #7 a little - now you can avoid helping Garo to start with and look for Temis on your own. Then you can report back to get some extra gold for efficiency, or just not turn him in at all.

Other than that, I think it's ready for a review!
Attachments
thingchanged.txt
Things changed/added in this claim.
(647 Bytes) Downloaded 133 times

Thank you so very much."
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Cool, sorry I missed this, sending to review.

As with the other one, will check it when I get a chance.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Okay, this file below should be ready for merge.

Nice dialogue, some typos and I toned down a bit of Cyria's dialogue because you made her quite aggressive at times ("hell-hole" not really appropriate for a noble).

Some mess with 'Temis Lorthus' hanging around as a topic for ages, cleaned up.

Otherwise, good to go, nice work.
Attachments
TR_q2-26-Mis_MSam_1.esp
(12.04 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

I love seeing quests ready for merging! :-D Makes me all warm inside. But BC, I see your file is named _1. Did you work from Msam's newest file, _5, and just rename it to _1? Or work from his first file mistakenly?
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
RelinQ

Post by RelinQ »

Hooray new quests!

hmm Judging from the size of the file it looks like the latter, unfortunately. :?
MSam
Developer

Post by MSam »

Thanks Bloodthirsty Crustacean (if it's okay, Ima call you BC from now on). I'm all warm and fuzzy too at the idea that it actually is acceptable. Thanks very much for the fixing you've done.

This is just a minor observation from me that I've only just realised...'Imperial Literature' should actually have lower case letters. Like, you major in biology, not Biology (English and French, of course, would be a different story). I'm not sure if anyone other than Bill Walsh would notice, but it's really minor improper grammar atm.

Since there is nothing on Temis in there, I'm guessing BC just uploaded the wrong file by accident.

Thank you so very much."
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

oop, yeah, wrong file.
Attachments
TR_q2-26-Mis_MSam_5.esp
(57.59 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

This is not a final (it's not even clean). It is just a result of half an hour of work. I started with BC's file in Sep 28, 2010 post.

The bugs below are FIXED; I have just listed them for educational value.

-------

Several scripts in this claim have the "return bug": the boilerplate code

if ( TR_Map == 2 )
	return
endif

set TR_Map to 2
makes whatever comes after it in the script never fire except for the rare case when the TR_map variable is not 2.

Also, there are more errors like misplaced endif's, use of two "onDeath"s in one script (that doesn't work; the onDeath variable is reset to 0 every time it is accessed, so the second time you access it it will always be 0).

Script TR_m2_q_26_duoboysgone, on the other hand, can be optimized by putting this in front:

if ( currentDay == Day )
	return
endif
since it only needs to fire at day change. Same for TR_m2_q_26_garodisable. Also, both scripts need a StopScript.

Also, added check for ( getDeadCount "TR_m2_q_26_Garo_Varsel" == 0 ) in Script TR_m2_q_26_duoboysgone. You can guess why.

In script TR_m2_q_26_temisfinale, the equality sign = should be ==. Same (+ confusing indentation) in TR_m2_q_26_temisohno.

Also, "comprimise" should be "compromise".
Attachments
TR_q2-26-Mis_arv_6.esp
(57.51 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Here are some more issues, not fixed this time.

First of all, a response to topic "Temis Lorthus" is missing a full stop at the end. Easily found, easily fixed.

More important things: If I (falsely) tell Garo Varsel (the killer) that Lorthus is out of town, the next time he greets me with "Hello, %PCName. Thanks to you, I am finished with my dear friend Temis Lorthus." I am not sure what exactly "finished" means but this doesn't look correct, particularly since his response to topic "Temis Lorthus" says "I will be sure to find him next time".

Suggestion time:

I think there should be a way, after one let Lorthus be killed, to tell the guard what happened. Depending on what one has found out, one either has a suspicion or is pretty sure about that. Now somebody lore-savvy should better know how the guard is to react to this. Drop the investigation because the Morag Tong is legal? Disbelieve the player? Go after the murderer?

Also, I think there should be a way, after telling Garo about the location of Lorthus, to change one's mind and quickly report back to Lorthus. Again, the reply should depend on what one has found out. Lorthus will then disable (go hiding).

I can implement both of these tweaks once I know
(1) whether they're good,
(2) how the guard should react to the player's information, and
(3) whether they should be done before or after merging (I personally prefer after, lest work have to be done twice).
Last edited by arvisrend on Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Not
Lead Developer

Post by Not »

Here's the final version of this claim. Again, it should be mergeable like the others now, but feel free to double check anyways.
Attachments
TR_q2-26-Mis_MSam_5.rar
(16.06 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
Not another memory

...And so my bad karma gets worse
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

This file has been made from an obsolete version of the ESP. Please export the scripts from my updated version.

EDIT: Or I can do this when I get the file next.
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Claim has been merged into TR_Mainland and has been released with Sacred East.