Tear and Alt Owerelyn Concepts

Place where art is developed for our game.

Moderator: Lead Developers

seancruz
Developer

Tear and Alt Owerelyn Concepts

Post by seancruz »

Wanted to post some progress on concepts for Tear and the surrounding area.

1st Image: City of Tear from a bird's eye view. It's a wip. I took some artistic license to play around with structure color. I thought it would be cool if the main temple/fort structure of Tear is actually a dark colored structure to stand out from the lighter colored city (right now the city is still dark). Perhaps it's constructed from dark muddy materials in the surrounding swampy/tropical environment. Most of the environment is unfinished, so it'll have lots of trees and plants. I'll be working on another view of the city some time later.

2nd Image: Playing around with tropical-like tree designs, that moves away from the typical palm/coconut tree, but that still has some qualities of the palm tree. I'll probably work on some more swamp-like trees as well.

3rd Image: A map layout of the city. I think it's pretty self-explanatory. I'm not sure how large or small the city should be. Originally I made it much larger, but reduced the size. On TR Chat someone mentioned slave pits; I'll be making a concept of that soon.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/iUOERSW.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/wj5FaAs.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/p7HJHsgl.jpg[/img]
Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

Looks good! We do want Tear to be a 'canton' city though.
MoonAndStar
Developer

Post by MoonAndStar »

Wow. This is awesome stuff!

Regarding the size of Tear, I would say that, being the capital of House Dres, it should be up to twice the size, going by how big Almalexia and Baan Malur have been made.

I like this layout. I think all that's missing is a massive slave market inside the city walls. I'm not sure what exactly a slave pit is, but I had imagined a series of large mud-wall depressions in the middle of the city, with walkways passing over them in different directions, for buyers to get a better view of the merchandise.
roerich
Developer

Post by roerich »

Looking great! As MoonAndStar said, Tear needs to be much larger. :) Your map concept looks suspiciously like one I drew up some time ago (but never even scanned and uploaded) - You're not a concept art thieving burglar, are you now?
seancruz
Developer

Post by seancruz »

Aeven, what exactly is a canton?

MoonAndStar, I'm not exactly sure what you mean by mud wall depression with walkways. Do you know if there's a photo of something like it?

Roerich, haha no. I actually had another layout that is much larger. Maybe I'll work on that one.
roerich
Developer

Post by roerich »

A canton is a large structure like those Vivec and Molag Mar is made up of. And as for the mud wall depression with walkways I imagine it to be something like this [url=http://i.imgur.com/CNKx8j7.png/]2 minute MS paint concept.[/url] And I'll look forward to seeing what you come up with, you make some wonderful art, that's for sure.
MoonAndStar
Developer

Post by MoonAndStar »

yes, something like that... I think :P
just deep rectangular pits with mud walls (or whatever Dres houses are made of), and a mess of slaves skulking about inside.
greendogo
TR Tester

Post by greendogo »

roerich wrote:A canton is a large structure like those Vivec and Molag Mar is made up of.
Or, you know. Vivec. I imagine Tear will be quite a bit more impressive than Molag Mar.

Nemon, to give seancruz an idea of what Tear should look like: should Tear have more than one canton? Will it have surrounding smaller buildings? How big should the canton be?

Nemon, did you or anyone else ever finish the canton models?
Gentlemen, start your striders:
[url]http://tristikov.deviantart.com/art/G-Dunmer-wit-Siltstridaz-dawg-28071455[/url]
hmmmm... I should have looked at this guys DA gallery before posting a link to it... he likes horses... a little too much
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

MoonAndStar wrote:(or whatever Dres houses are made of)
Argonian bones and xenofobia.
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

MoonAndStar wrote:yes, something like that... I think :P
just deep rectangular pits with mud walls (or whatever Dres houses are made of), and a mess of slaves skulking about inside.
Interesting. I always pictured the Tear slave pits as being circular.

Your concept art is really awesome, seancruz. The design of your city would be perfect for a smaller Dres holding, imo.

In case you're interested, here's the old concept art for how the Dres cantons would look:

http://img463.imageshack.us/img463/8040/drescanton1.jpg

http://img463.imageshack.us/img463/8708/drescanton2.jpg

and I believe this is an early concept for what Tear could look like:

[url=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/463/tearconcept1.jpg/][img]http://imageshack.us/a/img463/8272/tearconcept1.jpg[/img][/url]
-Head of NPCs: [url=http://www.shotn.com/forums/]Skyrim: Home of the Nords[/url]
Rats
Lead Developer

Re: Tear and Alt Owerelyn Concepts

Post by Rats »

Awesome concept art in such a short period of time!
seancruz wrote:On TR Chat someone mentioned slave pits; I'll be making a concept of that soon.
That someone would be me. I'm really looking forward seeing the pits. I always pictured there would be this really massive upside-down cone-shaped structure which can house a small army of slaves; the lower you descent the grittier it gets and down at the very bottom of this "Betmeri Well" they keep the biggest lizards and the hairiest cats. I picture sewer pipes leading into the pit so that the Dres can effectively flood the entire pit with (toxic, mind you) water if they need to quench a revolt.

À la Dante: http://espliego.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/botticelli_chartofdanteshell.jpg
roerich
Developer

Post by roerich »

greendogo wrote:Or, you know. Vivec. I imagine Tear will be quite a bit more impressive than Molag Mar.
"Made up of" being the code word. :)

Tear should be gritty, ancient, majestic, intimidating, sprawling, dark, hot, dusty, grey, brown, purple, dark green, blue, Akkadian, unwelcoming, brutal. The Jewel of the East.
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

greendogo wrote:
roerich wrote:A canton is a large structure like those Vivec and Molag Mar is made up of.
Or, you know. Vivec. I imagine Tear will be quite a bit more impressive than Molag Mar.

Nemon, to give seancruz an idea of what Tear should look like: should Tear have more than one canton? Will it have surrounding smaller buildings? How big should the canton be?

Nemon, did you or anyone else ever finish the canton models?
Hmm, I'm not sure how Tear will look. Interesting concepts are always helpful though.
I don't know the status of the canton models. I'd imagine using a retextured Vivec model with additional cosmetic changes to suffice.
SIGILLVM COMMVNITATIS DE CIVITATE BERGENSI
Jule
Reviewer

Re: Tear and Alt Owerelyn Concepts

Post by Jule »

Rats wrote:I always pictured there would be this really massive upside-down cone-shaped structure which can house a small army of slaves; the lower you descent the grittier it gets and down at the very bottom of this "Betmeri Well" they keep the biggest lizards and the hairiest cats. I picture sewer pipes leading into the pit so that the Dres can effectively flood the entire pit with (toxic, mind you) water if they need to quench a revolt.
That has a nice sound to it. A deep pit with a downward spiraling path and lots of small hollows lining its steep walls. And just next to the pit is a dam, which can be opened any time the Dres wish to do so. Not necessarily a revolt, the slightest urge to show off their power and break the slaves' will is reason enough to open the locks, and voila - here comes the water.
Le vent nous portera

Tea is important! - Cathartis
seancruz
Developer

Post by seancruz »

Alright newish stuff.

Image 1 and 2: changed the city a bit. It's still FAR from done. I've only really squared in all the various cantons. If you want to have an idea as to the scale of the city, take a look at the tiny little humans walking on the bridge, or the size of the ship in the waters. The closeup (image 2) should be clear. It's pretty big I'd say, probably bigger than Necrom once I paint in all the middle class and lower class structures, and farmland.

Image 3: A quick sketch on a rectangular slave pit. I imagined little holes dug up where the slaves live or hangout for days on end. It might be too big, but I'm sure it's not too difficult to imagine it smaller. I want to do a circular cone pit like Rat suggested when I have the chance.

Image 4: I revamped the map. It is now much larger. The walled and gated area of the city is where the elite and middle class live; it is also where all the cantons are built. All the dark purple squares marked with a C are cantons. The gated city is also the oldest part of the city. To the south, much of the middle class has expanded outside the gates; most middle class dunmer are the owners of farms as well as many farm slaves. The lower class (dark yellow) only live outside the gates.

I placed all the slave pits inside the gated city, where anyone can watch the slaves from the ground. Some are placed at the entrances of the gates.

The blue-purple square near the docks marked with a L stands for Lighthouse. Since this is a major port city, there should be a lighh house or beacon.

Structures marked with a T stands for Temple. There are two temples: one in the gated city for the elites, and one for the middle class outside the gates to the south.

The central and oldest canton that is built on the island is perhaps a fort, or residence of the ruler of Tear. But it can also serve as a temple, if people prefer not to have two separate temples. Perhaps this central canton once served as a temporary residence for one of the Tribunal figures?

Anyways, I'm gonna have to take a short break on this while I work on some urgent school work. I'll be online to see any responses.

Image[/img]
seancruz
Developer

Post by seancruz »

Hey TR, just want to give an update that I'm pretty busy with school atm since I'm graduating from college soon. Got loads of work and portfolio stuff and a game on the side to finish before the end of April.
Rats
Lead Developer

Post by Rats »

Take your time. Your art's really top-notch so it's well worth waiting for.
greendogo
TR Tester

Post by greendogo »

Just wanted to revive an old concept screenshot from long ago made by Theo:
Theo wrote:Velothi pit meshes can be used to blend interiors to exteriors smoothly, thus creating pits, atriums, archways, bridges, connections and cantons of several height levels. Whole city could be done in this style and look unique.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/c0Z9w3dl.jpg[/img]
To which Kebra replied:
Kebra wrote:Really love the second one, that's a good idea for slaves, but also for a covered market, all of a city could be built around this, with streets opening down to a half subsystem.
Those models could be retextured for the Dres set and function quite well in the capacities mentioned above.

Alternatively, if the Dres set ends up with a different wall shape, the same idea could be used with any Dres kit parts that are counterparts to these Velothi ones.
Gentlemen, start your striders:
[url]http://tristikov.deviantart.com/art/G-Dunmer-wit-Siltstridaz-dawg-28071455[/url]
hmmmm... I should have looked at this guys DA gallery before posting a link to it... he likes horses... a little too much
Rats
Lead Developer

Post by Rats »

It's been a while. You still with us, seancruz? :)
seancruz
Developer

Post by seancruz »

Yes I am! Man it's been quite busy, still is. But it's summer so I do have time :)

Need to catch up first.
Rats
Lead Developer

Post by Rats »

Yay! Take your time, take your time.