Vvardenfell-Mainland questions

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

TheLexicon

Vvardenfell-Mainland questions

Post by TheLexicon »

I've heard from one of the administrators that TR is trying to keep from including Vvardenfell into the mod. But at the main page, it says that TR's goal is to recreate Morrowind's mainland true to what Bethesda would've done. So I have to ask this:

Will there be any quests that start from the mainland, but send the player to Vvardenfell?

The two main concerns I think TR has is that it would take longer to add a quest that just send the player back to familiar territory, or that it would become like another major questline to vanilla Morrowind.
But they don't have to be large-scale quests. It could just be something like "Hey, this dude owes me money. Get it from him. He lives in Gnisis." And you don't need to build a whole other house and NPC; you could just use an existing one that is very unimportant in vanilla Morrowind.
And it isn't a very urgent thing to complete. They could wait until they have the mainland all built and they're structuring various major questlines.

It's just a couple of suggestions/questions. I really just wanna know why TR wants to completely exclude Vvardenfell out of their mod. 8|
But that's just my opinion, so it's likely completely stupid.
cabal

Post by cabal »

I'm pretty sure that a part of the reason that they're avoiding making changes to Vvardenfell is so that the mod is compatible with as many other mods as possible. Additionally, Vvardenfell is supposed to be under quarantine because of the Blight so it doesn't make a lot of sense for there to be many quests connecting the island and the mainland.
TheLexicon

Post by TheLexicon »

Oh, right. Sorry, I don't know much about Morrowind, but I thought the Blight stuff was quarentined inside the Ghostgate? :L (Don't know the puzzled emoticon)
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

The problem with answering this question is that we aren't decided very much so far. We will definitely have boat transport between Vvardenfell and Mainland (there is no quarantine unless the ship has blighted people aboard) in the Heartland release, and maybe earlier as well. I think the Mages Guild will also give travel options; don't quote me on this. Some quests might interact with vanilla, but I think I can speak for the team in saying that we don't like the idea of just using irrelevant stuff from the original game (how many unique snowflakes are using the Queen of Bats axe in their mods?).
Not
Lead Developer

Post by Not »

I can atleast say that we do plan on finding a place for some select few vanilla NPCs on the mainland, i.e. ones where you do a quest and they then say they are taking off for the mainland and then subsequently "disappear" from the game.
Not another memory

...And so my bad karma gets worse
TheLexicon

Post by TheLexicon »

Okay, cool! Thanks for answering my question! I just had this quest idea that a fugitive fled the main into Vvardenfell, expecting no one to follow him/her into contaminated lands. Of course, these people who want this fugitive conveniently have a nameless hero they could boss around and make him/her do what no one else wants to do :P

In fact, TR should implement a character that tells the player to do something ridiculously easy and that the character is fully capable of doing himself or herself. Something like buying a fork from the trader next door or something. Then the player blatantly refuses to do this, and tells the character to stop being so lasy.

I think this is both a reference to TES games and how some "quests" or misc. objectives are something not worth doing, or the character could easily do him or herself. I thought this would add some humor into this great mod. :P
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

TheLexicon wrote:In fact, TR should implement a character that tells the player to do something ridiculously easy and that the character is fully capable of doing himself or herself.
This is 95% of all missions in every game.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
TheLexicon

Post by TheLexicon »

Yeah, but I mean something RIDICULOUSLY easy, like "Get my heirloom bowl from my next-door neighbor" or something.

Yes, vanilla Morrowind's Mage Guild, I am talking about you!

EDIT: I just had a question about the forums. The Quest Design forum, is it where anyone can make/brainstorm quest ideas, or is it closed to TR modders? I feel I can pitch in there while I wait for my new computer.
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Quests: Design is for specific (groups of) quests bound to specific areas, which makes it rather hard to contribute there without having access to the files containing those bits of world, I fear. Usually we'll have some idea of an overarching theme or story ready but need Quests: Design to sort out the specifics, and sometimes these quest claims are blank slates where we basically have a brainstorm session to come up with a story.
TheLexicon

Post by TheLexicon »

Oh. Darn. Well, I'll just keep waiting for my new computer. Ahahahaha, yeah, it could take a while before I'll feel ready to work for TR :) But now a generic question to all TR modders (I like doing this stuff; helps me get to know people better): Which city/landmark do you think is the best in TR? Specifically, places that have been publicly released, so that I'll make a trip to visit. Don't answer if you don't want to, but I will greatly appreciate an answer. :D
Katze
Developer Emeritus

Post by Katze »

Out of the currently-released places, definitely Necrom. It's also coincidentally the most important location in Sacred East and the only city so far to have its own unique architecture style, so that's always cool. Go get yourself lost in the catacombs! :)
"If a hermaphroditic, bug-armored, bipolar god-king existing in multiple universes who has his very own bible with *actual* magic strewn throughout it is your idea of a cliche, then I really would like to live in your world." -MK

"You say a lot of things. And how does that work? You're a bicycle"

Tea is important.
TheLexicon

Post by TheLexicon »

Okay! Once I get Morrowind and install TR, I'll make sure to visit.

There are instructions on how to download and install TR, right? :P

EDIT: I just had a cool idea. Have a quest about a Khajiit slave trying to escape inprisonment, and if you help him/her out, s/he will reward you with...... A player home. This could be explained in-game as the Khajiit's hideout (the house will be a small shack, like the Imperial City player home in Oblivion) and s/he will give you the house as a thanks for saving him/her, as s/he will be smuggling him/herself onto a boat to Elsweyr.

Is this a good idea. I came up with it from the severe lack of player homes in Morrowind. :)
Arizzi

Post by Arizzi »

Why dont you guys put a bunch of imperial ships surrounding the island, in theory to cut off access to the mainland, or something along those lines?
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

There's no quarantine except possibly for wares, which is normally implemented in the harbors.
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

Plus, having a bunch of ships cluttering the Inner Sea would look ugly and spoil the view.
-Head of NPCs: [url=http://www.shotn.com/forums/]Skyrim: Home of the Nords[/url]
TheUnending
Developer

Post by TheUnending »

I thought the idea of the quarantine got thrown out years ago?
"*Sips Coffee*"

"The only sure way of taking over the world without your plans being ruined at the eleventh hour by some nosy kid... steal everyone's shoes..."
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

Yes and no, I think. Naturally, it still makes sense for officials to prevent people carrying the blight and illicit goods from traveling from Vvardenfell to the Mainland, but we no longer have a blanket quarantine preventing regular travel to-and-from the island.
-Head of NPCs: [url=http://www.shotn.com/forums/]Skyrim: Home of the Nords[/url]
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

People like [url=http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Vodunius_Nuccius_(quest)]Vodunius Nuccius[/url] (who go to Narsis if you buy his ring), [url=http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Larienna_Macrina]Larienna Macrina[/url] (who supposedly go on to take care of "unfinished business" on the mainland even though Beth forgot to disable her), or [url=http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Drulene_Falen]Drulen Falen[/url]'s family ought to be somewhere.

Also, Kragenmoor should have a temple school for [url=http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Tribunal:Muckraking_Journalist]Gee-Pop's lie[/url] to be credible. (And given where he works, he should know where there are and aren't Temple schools.)