Voice acting for Ordinators in Mourning

Place where the game's audio assets are produced.

Moderators: Gesshoku, Lead Developers

Why
Lead Developer

Voice acting for Ordinators in Mourning

Post by Why »

Leon approached me a while ago since he'd found someone who he claimed could do a good Dunmer voice, so since I didn't see the harm in trying, I helped him compile/edit a list of possible spoken dialog for Ordinators in Mourning. It's not quite perfect yet, but it was good enough for a demo, which Leon just sent to me. To be honest, I think this has potential.

The incomplete list:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/75781212/Necrom_Dialogue.png
In Excel format:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/75781212/Necrom%20Voices.xlsx
My original list fromalongtimeago which still has things I like more than certain stuff from Leon's list:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/75781212/Ordin ... Speech.txt

The demo:
"Death does not diminish. The ghost gilds with glory."
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/75781212/Nec_01.mp3
"May Veloth guide you through these lands." Not quite how you're supposed to say Veloth, but alright, it'll do for a demo.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/75781212/Nec_02.mp3
"The spirits welcome you to the city above Necrom." Sounds like commute, but again, this is about tone and sound quality more than anything.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/75781212/Nec_03.mp3
7z-style for those with little internet.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/75781212/Necrom_Demo.7z

Thoughts?
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

The problem I have with his voice is that it is too gravely and deep. If you listen to the Dunmer voices in-game, you can tell (especially compared to this guy) that they actually have a discernible tone (not tone as in language, but tone as in musical tone). This guy's rendition is a bit too Christian-Bale-as-Batman, if that makes sense.

As for Veloth, he needs to emphasize the first syllable, not the second, I'm pretty sure. That's how I've always said it, and that's how we've named our 5th release: Véloth.

So maybe ask him to try and add some tone to it? I think it would be pretty spot-on, with that adjustment.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Yeah by and large I definitely agree with your assessment, what I mainly want from this thread is know if this is an opportunity we'd like to take or not, and if we do, what adjustments need to be made.
Not
Lead Developer

Post by Not »

Personally, I'm all for it. I agree with Haplo, I suppose it could be better, however, I suggest we use this guy because I doubt we'd find anyone else who comes as close to the original as this guy does.

Edit: After listening to this a second time, I rather like his voice. I seriously think we should have him voice the Ordinators in Mourning as soon as we're ready to do so.
Not another memory

...And so my bad karma gets worse
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Post by Bloodthirsty Crustacean »

Haplo's right about the Batman intonation, but with that in mind the guy could definitely pull off a Badass Boast in the style of the 'Mournhold, City of Light!! City of MAGGIC!!' line from Tribunal.

I quite like the 'city above Necrom' line that he's already done.

And his 'Veloth guide you' line does have a better intonation, too, actually.

Generally, I think this is pretty cool. His impression is good enough that including well-scripted lines would make us seem less, rather than more, moddy, as long as we keep the lines short and classy.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals
a man melts the sand so he
can see the world outside

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
gro-Dhal
Lead Developer

Post by gro-Dhal »

I wasn't sure, but then I played it over the soundtrack and it sounded pretty good. Might need to be fractionally deeper- is that something that could be tweaked? Also the voice sounds a little bit too sibilant to me, maybe fewer S-words would be a good idea.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J-agukWPOY[/url]

Edit: I think Veloth (Véloth) should strictly speaking be pronounced VAY-loth.
Last edited by gro-Dhal on Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Test
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Re: Voice acting for Ordinators in Mourning

Post by arvisrend »

I've got a few little issues about the dialogue lines, but feel free to ignore me as I probably don't understand them well enough.

First, why has "the thrice-sealed house withstands the storm" been removed from the warcries?

There is a bit too much "citizen" in the disposition 60 greetings. Can we add some (most?) of the disposition 40 greetings to the list of disposition 60 ones? Or just replace some of the "citizen"s with "outlander"s?

Also, is "consider your death" really that much offensive to be a disposition-0 greeting? I thought of it as a Memento Mori...

Finally, what does "From Necrom to Daggerfall" refer to?
Why
Lead Developer

Re: Voice acting for Ordinators in Mourning

Post by Why »

arvisrend wrote:First, why has "the thrice-sealed house withstands the storm" been removed from the warcries?
Because Leon fancies his ideas better than mine.

Really though, since we seem to be in agreement that this is a good idea, let's compile a final list of dialog we can send to the guy. Shall I try and start one, or does one of the more lore-versed people (Adan? gro-Dhal?) want to do the honors? Most of the things I came up with were taken straight from the Book of Dawn and Dusk, and while I like them, some truly new and unique stuff wouldn't hurt either.
Mwgek
Developer

Post by Mwgek »

After hearing some of the lines from this actor I think it will be an addition. Still he sounds a bit more growly in comparison to the original but I like it. I agree with Arvisrend that the ordinators shouldn't get so friendly on 60 disposition level. Hope to hear some more from him.
--Mwgek--
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

More than 3 Hellos, and perhaps an Idle or two, would be excessive, anyway.

More worth considering might be a couple other location specific lines, expanding on what's in vanilla: (so perhaps a 'welcome to [Port Telvannis, Baan Malur, Mournhold-Almalexia, Narsis, Tear]' type line for a couple of more important places, to be used sparingly)
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

The reason I like custom voice files for these Ordinators is that they're a very specific group of guards and we can basically do them without having to rely on vanilla files as long as we include enough lines. To add a few lines to guards for different cities sounds nice, but I'd hate it if the guards spoke with two different voices for different lines, so to speak.

I'll try to start a list of entries soon.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Fair call.

I think the impression is good enough that just a few scattered lines would be better, because with too many the risk increases of having some lines where the similarity slips or the intonation is weird or whatever.

But yep, do what is best.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Not
Lead Developer

Post by Not »

Has anything been decided on this?? Or is someone working on the final lines?
Not another memory

Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

It's on my to-do list for soon. Leon's getting kind of anxious too. Hoping to have something tomorrow.
Not
Lead Developer

Post by Not »

Oh don't hurry on my account, I didn't mean to sound impatient. I just wanted to make sure that we didn't forget about this, that's all. No big deal really.

Also Leon can be anxious all he wants, I really don't care.

Edit: hmm, perhaps that last part was kind of mean :/
Not another memory

Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

Let me help you feel better by comparison.

Leon can blow it out his ass.
Last edited by Thrignar Fraxix on Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

I'm not worried about Leon's feelings, I want to hurry this up for the guy that does the voice.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Did any decision happen on this?
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Current status is that Leon is no longer with us and only wants to work with me, not TR as a whole, so I'm going to continue this in my spare time, so to speak. I'll still post a list of dialog but it's not really a priority right now since it's unclear if we'll be able to use it. Still, since the idea is neat, I'll try to do something with it, even if releasing it as an independent add-on is all I can do in the end.
Mwgek
Developer

Post by Mwgek »

Another case of: How weird can people act on the internet. Well maybe it also happends in RL but then I just turn my back away. What about contacting the guy directly and trying to find another audio man who can edit this?
--Mwgek--
Not
Lead Developer

Post by Not »

Mwgek wrote:What about contacting the guy directly and trying to find another audio man who can edit this?
Quite possibly the best idea I've ever heard....and an obvious one at that.
Not another memory

Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

I'll see what I can do
Vernon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vernon »

that voice is pretty damn good
welp
Rats
Lead Developer

Post by Rats »

How'bout sending them lines to [url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=23915]this MorrowindShorts guy[/url] to be read? His voice is pretty damn good and the sound quality is OK. I'm pretty handy with Audacity, so I'd be willing to edit whatever material he'll record for us.

Mayhaps we should also write some other generic dialogue (i.e. for Almalexia) while we're at it?
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

I agree! He had a decent voice.
SIGILLVM COMMVNITATIS DE CIVITATE BERGENSI
Not
Lead Developer

Post by Not »

I second that
Not another memory

Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

This is the same guy. I'm in contact with him and I've been waiting for Adan to show up on IRC to get a proper script going. School's been keeping me busy a lot though :(
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Bumpity-bump!

I've gotten back in touch with the guy and I want to now properly internalize this project in a Sound claim somewhere. Could [url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=13454]MorrowindShorts[/url] please be promoted into the Sound Artists usergroup? I'll set up a sound claim for Ordinator in Mourning voice acting in which we can discuss exact scripts and procedures and whatnot.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

I've added him to the modder usergroup
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined