n4-2-Mis

Where hooms take a shit and we clean it up.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Haplo
Lead Developer

n4-2-Mis

Post by Haplo »

Claim type: OOT
Claim ID: TR_n4-2-Mis (#2615)
Faction: Misc
Claimed by: Rats
Files: TR_n4-2-Mis_Rats_1.rar

---

Bonemold helm G from this concept art image:
http://www.imperial-library.info/sites/default/files/imagecache/node-gallery-display/gallery_files/mw_TAoM_p32.jpg
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Rats
Lead Developer

Post by Rats »

Because I just haven't posted enough screenshots already, here's the final thing
[img]http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y417/rats_tr/bonemoldy_zps78afb11c.png[/img]
Mwgek
Developer

Post by Mwgek »

This should not be here but in showcase.
--Mwgek--
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

I've made the claim so that the model Rats is working on can be added to the project the proper way--through the claims process. It wasn't an insinuation that Rats' modeling claim is finished yet. :-)

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

Mwgek
Developer

Post by Mwgek »

project the proper way--through the claims process
The proper way to me seems like Showcase->Promotion->Claim->Update->Finish->Review->TR Data merge.

But you guys should really look at the way model claims are worked on. Now it should go the same as the other departments which is never the case... I would like to see a lot of these claims public so people can give stuff a try. That should be stuff we need. Although I like this masks concepts the only place it could be used is the armun-ashlands. I rather see we concentrate on stuff we need. But that's not a discussion for here.
--Mwgek--
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

Mwgek wrote:
project the proper way--through the claims process
Although I like this masks concepts the only place it could be used is the armun-ashlands.
Why do you think this? I see no reason to limit this helm to only one region. Dunmer wear weird enclosed helmets no matter where they are. The chitin helm from vanilla look's like it's designed only for the Ashlands, yet NPCs wear it all around Vvardenfell.
-Head of NPCs: [url=http://www.shotn.com/forums/]Skyrim: Home of the Nords[/url]
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Mwgek wrote:The proper way to me seems like Showcase->Promotion->Claim->Update->Finish->Review->TR Data merge.

But you guys should really look at the way model claims are worked on. Now it should go the same as the other departments which is never the case... I would like to see a lot of these claims public so people can give stuff a try.
What do you mean by public? Anyone can attempt it rather than TR Modders? In certain cases for direly needed things, maybe, but we moved away from the "anyone can work on our claims" model of doing things back in 2006 due to serious quality and inconsistency problems.

Mwgek
Developer

Post by Mwgek »

Haplo wrote:
Mwgek wrote:The proper way to me seems like Showcase->Promotion->Claim->Update->Finish->Review->TR Data merge.

But you guys should really look at the way model claims are worked on. Now it should go the same as the other departments which is never the case... I would like to see a lot of these claims public so people can give stuff a try.
What do you mean by public? Anyone can attempt it rather than TR Modders? In certain cases for direly needed things, maybe, but we moved away from the "anyone can work on our claims" model of doing things back in 2006 due to serious quality and inconsistency problems.
Well that is pretty much how the model department worked the last years. It should not be a problem to set some stuff out in the public. You should not see it as claims, rather like if you want to give this a try you can. As long as there is a decent quality control at the end of the line from someone who can look further then just checking nifskope or screenshots.
--Mwgek--
Adanorcil
Developer Emeritus

Post by Adanorcil »

Sorry for hijacking this thread for a moment.
Haplo wrote: What do you mean by public? Anyone can attempt it rather than TR Modders? In certain cases for direly needed things, maybe, but we moved away from the "anyone can work on our claims" model of doing things back in 2006 due to serious quality and inconsistency problems.
This procedure makes sense for interiors, exteriors and quests. These sort of things require the creator to develop a certain sense of taste and to acquaint themselves with a bunch of unwritten rules (no style mixing etc.) that you can't just learn from a text.

No such thing for asset creation. A model can be judged by objective and clear standards: does it fit the concept, is it qualitative (detail, UV mapping, texturing), does it have a reasonable polycount, etc. If it meets these demands, then the model is usable regardless of whether the creator has already done a showcase or not. Conversely, having had a succesful showcase should absolutely not be a guarantee for having one's models included in the mod. Quality should be our only criterion here and we should really use it like that more.

The current idea behind the showcase for artists seems to be that they first have to show their mettle and then they can stay at the project as some sort of tenured modeler. This is naive and not at all representative of the way in which game artists operate (at least on a volunteer basis). There is no "getting to work for TR"; we have nothing to offer them. An artist passing by will model something if it catches their fancy and they think it's within their skill. An additional "test" step largely ruins that initial drive. As long as we actually consider quality (as judged by knowledgeable people) as the "test", the showcase for modelers can be entirely omitted.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

I agree with this, but I think it's some matter of changing the structure of how we technically handle modeling claims before that can really become the practice "full swing", so to speak.

Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

Is there anything preventing this from being moved to reviewing? I know Mwgek hasn't been around since mid-November, but we have at least a few other modders capable of reviewing claims, right?
-Head of NPCs: [url=http://www.shotn.com/forums/]Skyrim: Home of the Nords[/url]
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

It is still a showcase file that happens to already exist as an Objects Claim. This thread's progress must follow the showcase thread's progress, not pre-empt it.

Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

So did Rats ever get promoted for modelling?

Perhaps more importantly, do we even have anyone around at the moment who could give his showcase a comprehensive review?
Rats
Lead Developer

Post by Rats »

Urrght, totally forgot about this one.

No, I wasn't promoted and rightfully so. :)

Mwgek did sort of a review of this in my showcase thread. The mesh was in his opinion pretty alright, but the texture needed some optimization. I was going to start optimizing but then all kinds of real life events occurred and all progress was lost so to speak. I don't think I have the motivation to pursue a career modeling (both in and out of TR context) right now :/

Thankfully this isn't the most top priority thing right now, so I'd might as well sit on this for a while and see if I get my motivation back in the near future. If someone wishes to take this away from me, however, please feel free to do so.