Fighter's Guild

Development of the Imperial city of Old Ebonheart on the Eastern Mouth of the Thirr River.

Moderator: Lead Developers

gro-Dhal
Lead Developer

Fighter's Guild

Post by gro-Dhal »

This thread is for planning the characters and broad storyline of the Old Ebonheart Fighters Guild, with reference to the city concept: http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=24304

I know Tondollari and a few others had ideas for this one.
Test
Tondollari
Developer

Post by Tondollari »

*My quest idea

I was thinking the OE FG could be an unwitting pawn of House Hlaalu. Early-stage quests would be domestic, but later-stage quests would direct the player to the area around Roa Dyr, Almas Thirr, and Dondril. These later quests would appear straightforward, but ultimately result in destabilization of Indoril territory. The head of the guildhall is completely oblivious of House politics, passing orders down believing they are from concerned locals when they in fact come from across the river. The only Dunmer member of the guild, a Scout and "cultural advisor", is a Hlaalu spy.

An example I have in mind for the beginning of this questline:

The guildmaster sends the player to clear out a den of smugglers near Dondril. Another member (TR_m3_sela_delveneii) has already been sent, but is taking too long. When the player talks to her, she says she believes the locals are covering for the smugglers and not cooperating. When the player asks around about the smugglers, the locals insist that the people in the cave are not smugglers, just hermits, fishing and living off the land. If the player presses enough, s/he will get the location of the cave: Kadanuran, on an island near the Drethl estate.

The (not stated in-game) conspiracy here is that the Hlaalu want the hermits gotten rid of so they can turn Kadanuran into a smuggling base. The player can report back that something just doesn't sit right with the order, or complete the order and kill the "smugglers".

As the questline goes on, more and more clues will turn up regarding Hlaalu involvement. The player would eventually have to take a stand one way or the other on the issue.

*My NPC idea

One of the FG members (Imperial), while on a mission, picked up a curse that's the magical equivalent of Tourette syndrome. Any interaction with the player will be marked by spasmodic swearing. This could be an opportunity to use new Imperial swear words equivalent to N'wah, s'wit, etc. This guy could also be questgiver for early domestic stuff.
Rats
Lead Developer

Post by Rats »

A few quick bullet point thoughts about the general feel of FG in OE:

_the guild leadership in Old Ebonheart is not aware that the guild is under Camonna Tong's influence. OE is an Imperial safe haven, the guild headquarters is more in touch with events in Cyrodiil than in Morrowind (not totally off the radar, but still). Having one Camonna Tong spy acting as a traitor in the guildhall is a great idea.

_the members in Narsis are directly under Hlaalu/Camonna Tong control.

_at one point, the OE branch will realize the situation and confront the bad apples. The confrontation will be violent and the guild's leader will be killed (thus enabling the player's ascension as the new leader).

_due to CT not being present in OE, there will be less FG v. TG stuff going on. Perhaps there could be some sort of crackdown on Thieves guild activities in the sewers -- a joint operation with the Legion, though secretly orchestrated by Hlaalu/Camonna Tong? might be fun.

NPCs:

_Guildmaster Joccathe of Bladed-Hymnals (Saru-do-Katha in Yoku) is an orange-eyed Redguard/part-Dunmer swordmaster born and raised in OE, who could trace her lineage back to Cyrus the Restless. She's a philosopher-monk-warrior by nature, and often meditates on both the teachings of the diagnite Gaiden Shinji and the proto-Fighters Guild Syffim. Her fascination with the spiritual side of things (so to speak) has attributed to her neglecting the real side of things (so to speak) and is part the reason she has been unaware and unable to rid the Guild off Camonna Tong's influence. She is a legend among the guild members across the province, and meeting her should be a big deal. Quest-giver for the final quests of the whole FG questline.

_OE Steward Sharnoga gra-Mal. An ironclad Orc warrior who is the second-in-command and handles the day-to-day affairs of the guildhall. Quest-giver for the high-level OE missions.

_Do'Mashirr. A Khajiit warrior, learned in various schools of the Rain of Sand. Teaches escaped slaves self-defense. Offers training in hand-to-hand and whatnot. Should have interesting stuff to say about all the Khajiiti karate gimmicks and all.

_Foedus Locutius. The Imperial with the magical Tourette's. A low-level quest-giver, though can't act until he's cured of his curse.

_Ophelie Vilifienne. A Breton blacksmith. Armorer service.

_Hvedrik. A Nord caretaker of the household. Sort of like a janitor but with a battle axe.

_Osricus Callanius/Darrakiius/Rumidriel. A newcomer/newcomers recruited by the player. First one is a naive lad with hopes of becoming a legendary paladin of justice, second one is an escaped Argonian slave with a vengeful attitude towards his former masters, and the third one is a Wood Elven archer. One of the recruits will accompany the player at some point of the questline as a squire/tutee.

_Rathys Madalvel. A low-ranking but likeable Dunmer, whose main purpose is to act as a messenger between the HQ and the other guildhalls in Morrowind. He is in fact a traitor planted by the Camonna Tong; he's real job is to spy the guild's leadership as well as keep them in the dark about the real state of affairs. It will be up to the player to discover his treacherousness.

A few ideas for relatively misc quests:

_low-level: the FG is always in need of new members. the player is given a bunch of flyers that they're supposed to hand out to potential volunteers. there will be a couple of NPCs in OE who'll be interested. possibly one of them will accompany the player on a later stage of the questline on a mission somewhere to make this quest have more far-reaching consequences.

_"private-eye" stuff: the guild is hired by a suspicious wife/husband to spy on their spouse. whether or not their suspicions are correct, a violent confrontation between the two and a (innocent?) third party should ensue; the player would have to make the fighting stop.

_would love to include the quasi-Akaviri Daedric relic "Fearstruck" in the questline somehow (featured in the ingame book "Story of Lysirius"). also Akaviri battle meditation scrolls. also the sword of Cyrus.
Last edited by Rats on Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gro-Dhal
Lead Developer

Post by gro-Dhal »

I like the idea of the guild here being slightly aloof and unworldly. That plays well with the isolation and power of the city. I think that should be emphasised during NPCing.
Test
Rats
Lead Developer

Post by Rats »

So.

I've been trying for weeks to come up with some sort of Fighters' Guild document for OE. It seems I hit writer's block every time so now I'm just going to leave a few quick bullet points of ideas so they could be discussed/agreed/disagreed/improved upon. Most of it could be just rephrasing something that's been written above or said on IRC.

_the Grandmaster Joccathe of Bladed-Hymnals (the byname refers to her studying the creeds of ancient swordsmen) is not present in the OE HQ at the start of the quest line. Bit of a philosopher she's become more and more reclusive and has left the Guild headquarters for a retreat of meditation in an undisclosed cavern somewhere. The reason for her retreat is that over the years she's observed how the Guild has tried time and again to earn the trust and respect of the people of Morrowind and failing at the task despite their best effort. She's beginning the doubt whether the Guild can ever prove its worth to the natives who see it as an instrument of foreign occupation (Imperial by law and Akaviri by history/tradition) and whether there's any future for the guild as it is in Morrowind.

_the Narsis chapter of the Guild--led by Coraxes Myro, a ruthless Colovian from a long line of mercenary-warlords--is directly in Camonna Tong's pocket. The Guild in Narsis has decided that in order to survive the Guild must embrace what they essentially are: blades for hire who should side with whoever is paying the most ie. the Tong.

_the player should be given a choice to side with either of these leaders (killing the other in the process) and then--ultimately--overcoming them to become the grandmaster of the Guild. Siding with the Narsis chapter/the Tong will mean that the player will be send on ruthless assassination missions where they kill prominent Thieves Guild members and troublesome Imperial government officials; with the final being a duel to death with Coraxes Myro over the control of the Guild. Siding with Joccathe and the OE chapter will mean rooting out the guild members who are with the Tong and will ultimately end with the grandmaster abandoning the FG for good while calling all other members to follow her example and leaving the player alone to govern over the withered organization the guild has then become. All in all both of the endings should leave a bitter sweet feeling of both success and regret (as in "what if i had chosen differently?")
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

These are great ideas, Rats! I had the same writer's block issues when I was thinking of the FG as a whole.

I assume Joccathe lives in one of the badass caves in the Velothi Mountains? (Sounds like the most obvious region for that; but I am a bit biased towards the western half of the mainland...)

Also wondering if Darrakiius has taken on the "ius" as he/she escaped slavery to style themself an Imperial?

One thing I'd like to make a bit subtler is how the CT exerts influence on the Guild. We had this "spy in the headquarters" trope twice (once in vanilla, once in Firewatch, both times in the MG), and both times I never got an explanation of how the spy had actually been helping the spying party (unless I've missed something). Not saying that the spy should be axed, but we might show some more down-to-earth kind of interference: Thugs that go after the Dunmer who contract the Guild (spies could be useful for that, but not in OE unless there is some kind of central registry of contracts in there); fake guildsmen breaking into houses; badmouthing of the way the Guild perform their missions (this being Morrowind, it will focus less on "civilian" victims and rather center around the Guild's cowardice and ineffectivity). Confronting these will be a more complex challenge to the player than just killing a spy.
rot
Lead Developer

Post by rot »

Looking good, I'd just like to add wrt all the CT/TG targets - the FG and TG shouldn't be incompatible, so the FG player mustn't end up stuck on an alternative path that conflicts with the TG/forces them to kill TG NPCs/... without very well knowing what they're getting into.
Rats
Lead Developer

Post by Rats »

rot wrote:Looking good, I'd just like to add wrt all the CT/TG targets - the FG and TG shouldn't be incompatible, so the FG player mustn't end up stuck on an alternative path that conflicts with the TG/forces them to kill TG NPCs/... without very well knowing what they're getting into.
Agreed 100%. It will be made clear for the player that choosing the side of the Camonna Tong controlled Fighters Guild ("the dark side") will result in irreversible clashes with the Thieves Guild.

As for the spy and its function in OE, I was thinking that Rathys Madalvel is supposed to act as a courier between the OE headquarters and the other chapters and is intentionally keeping the OE people disinformed about the true state of the guild. Your suggestions are also good and sound, arvis.
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Ah, that's a very suitable role for a spy. Nice!
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

Didn't Sload suggest once that the FG, MG and TG quests shouldn't conflict with one another? I don't necessary think we should avoid quests that pit the three factions against each other, but players should have opportunities to navigate these situations without getting expelled. The Imperial Guilds are, after all, the most basic factions the player can join, and shouldn't define the player's character to the extent of what Great House they join, for instance.
-Head of NPCs: [url=http://www.shotn.com/forums/]Skyrim: Home of the Nords[/url]
Rats
Lead Developer

Post by Rats »

Yeti wrote:players should have opportunities to navigate these situations without getting expelled.
True. There will be two different paths the player can choose. The one involving TG butchery and the other one involving none. The time of the decision will be relatively endgame and consequences of choosing to side with Coraxes Myro/the Camonna Tong will be very clear to the player by then. Any other quest prior to that point which would conflict with the player being in the TG will have some alternative way to complete the quest.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

While I agree we should have these factions remain mutually inclusive, that doesn't mean we should have the outcomes be the same for the different paths... taking the path that gets you blacklisted by the Thieves Guild should have different ramifications (preferably positive) within the Fighters Guild, and vice versa.

Ex: if your current quest is to kill three key TG members, and you choose the docile method to avoid getting kicked out of/banned from the TG, your reward or outcome should be less because of it. Likewise, if you choose the anti-TG method, some extra compensation on the FG's part might be in order, since that kind of decision lasts an entire saved game.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Seneca37
Lead Developer

Post by Seneca37 »

These are just some ideas I had while playing the Akamora FG quests.

Would the OE FG be the main FG within MW? Could the other leaders stop by for meetings, or send couriers to pay dues. Possible quests out to the outer guilds to give them a hand with anything new that's developed over the years.
Rats
Lead Developer

Post by Rats »

seneca37 wrote:These are just some ideas I had while playing the Akamora FG quests.

Would the OE FG be the main FG within MW? Could the other leaders stop by for meetings, or send couriers to pay dues. Possible quests out to the outer guilds to give them a hand with anything new that's developed over the years.
Yes, the OE guildhall is the provincial headquarters for the Guild. The idea to visit the outer guilds / have them visit OE is a good one.
Tyrant
Developer

Post by Tyrant »

It's good to be back.

Some really interesting ideas here.

Fighters Guild Training Master

While constructing this interior (although that was well over a year ago, I understand things change and the interior I built could have been scrapped for all I know!) I came up with an idea for a small Misc. Questline.

The very basic premise of the quest is that the player will receive training from some hardened imperial battle master. But a more interactive form of training than simply purchasing skills from the other trainers of MW.

The 'Trainer' is some type of Myogi-like master, perhaps a retired Blade, or simply a veteran from recent wars.

When speaking to him, there would be some skill and FG rank requirements to begin his training. The questline I envisioned something like this:

1.) Before he will agree to train you, the player must recite a small passage from a combat skill-book. The book will be kept on one of the bookshelves in the FG. He gives you multiple choice options from the book, but each wrong answer lowers his disposition, eventually rendering the player unable to continue unless he raises it again.

2.) Next, the master will tell you a story about one of his battles. The story I imagined would tell of a battle with an Ashlander Tribe. In the battle this particular tribe was wiped out, and in the end, imperial soldiers came upon a Yurt filled with Ashlander children. One soldier wanted to kill the children, while the rest did not. The belligerent soldier stabbed an ashlander child through the chest, only to be killed himself, by a more sympathetic soldier behind him. The trainer will ask the player what lesson is to be learned here?

A multiple choice answer

'Mercy is a virtue' - Gain +1 speed

'In war, you need to be prepared to do what needs to be done' - Gain +1 Agility

'Orders are to be obeyed at all costs' Gain +2 Endurance -1 Intelligence

'Death to all enemies' Gain +2 Strength -1 Intelligence.

3.) Upon answering, the trainer will tell you that you are worthy of his training, and that tomorrow he will be willing to offer you his Training services.

Now he will function like a typical Morrowind trainer, selling you skill training. He would also be master level with a certain combat skill.

In short, I feel this quest adds a little bit of extra interaction in terms of training, and fits in perfectly with being in the Headquarters of the FG. The entire quest can be completed inside the FG building, and just spices up the typical training regime a bit. Also it would be relatively easy to code.

Thoughts?
Mourn for us oppressed in fear
Chained and shackled, we are bound
Freedom choked in dread we live
Since Tyrant was enthroned
Tyrant
Developer

Post by Tyrant »

Fighters Guild quest idea

Champion of Old Ebonheart

DO NOT NEED TO BE AN FG MEMBER, ONLY TAKES PLACE INSIDE THE FG

Basic Premise

A tournament-style competition is being held for the title of "Champion of Old Ebonheart". Various competitions and events will determine who moves on. There would be a few 'kill things' type quests, but ideally I would like there to be a bit more choices involved with this. There would be a handful of other competitors that you would have to interact with and see eliminated throughout the tournament. At the end, the player faces a difficult choice...

Upon signing up, the player will join the faction "Champion of Old Ebonheart, Rank- Contestant"

Detailed quest structure (WIP)

The player would initially hear about the Tournament from the town locals, directing the player to sign up for the Tournament at the Fighters Guild.

When speaking to the appropriate person at the FG, the player will be given a days notice for the tournament and asked to sleep in the FG quarters that night.

The player will be auto-woken at 6AM and directed to go downstairs for the start of the contest

The first challenge is Challenge of the Hunt. In the main hall of the FG, the player will be told that all contestants are given a day to produce the most hides of a specific animal they can kill in a specific nearby region by the end of the day.

Only hides obtained that day will count.

Before you set out from the FG, you can choose to speak with all the other contestants. There will be various characters included 'tough guys' from around the land, FG members, Medium-ranked Imperial soldiers etc.

Before you leave, you are force-spoken to by another contestant standing near the door. Despite being a somewhat 'nerdy' young punk, he quickly reveals himself to be your chief rival in the competition. He is fiercely patriotic to the city, although very young and physically frail.

The player will be reminded in advance of when to return to the FG, and given a specific 1-hour window of when to produce the hides.

The other contestants will produce a fixed-number of hides. Whatever number of hides you produce, your 'rival' will slightly beat you, due to a bait and trapping technique.

You are asked to spend the night at the FG again, and prepare for the next event tomorrow.

You are again auto-woken and asked to come downstairs. Several of the contestants from the day before are eliminated, and no longer in the room.

The second event is Challenge of the Protector

In this challenge the contestants are given the entire day to perform a significant deed for the good of the city. Showing that you are willing to work for the common good of the people. Upon leaving the FG there could be several options around town. In particular, in an alley, a woman could be getting hassled by some muggers. The player can kill them, or speak to them, scaring them off. The woman will be very thankful. Upon speaking to her, the player will get a journal update, and can report his good deed to the FG tournament leader.

When you report the deed, you will be told that your 'rival' has asked his father to make a substantial financial donation to the local Guards Quarters, increasing patrols around the city. Your 'rival' ends up winnings the event very slightly again.

You are asked to sleep in the FG and again auto-woken to hear the next event.

Once again, there are fewer contestants than before.

This event is "Challenge of the Redeemer"

Contestants are told that some bandits in some cave have some thing that needs retrieving.

The hard part is finding which cave. The player is given somewhat solid suggestion on where the bandits might be hiding out. There will be three suggestions on where they might be hiding. Ultimately they are in whatever cave.

Once in the cave, you will find your 'rival' hiding in a dark corner of the cave. It will be an obvious spot so the player doesn't miss him. He managed to find 'whatever' item but is having a panic meltdown. He won't leave unless you kill all the bandits for him. At this stage the player has 2 choices:

1.) Kill the 'rival'. You won't go to jail, and you'll be able to take the item from him, and win the competition.

2.) You can help him by killing the bandits and helping him escape.

Two results for this. If you kill him you win the competition upon returning by default. With no repercussions, other than the odd suspicious stink-eye.

If you help him escape, he will return with the 'whatever contest item'. At the FG, it will be proclaimed that the contest is too close to call, and the only way to resolve it is an honorable duel. Both parties can agree and duel for the title of 'Champion of Ebonheart'.

It will be obvious to the player that any duel will easily be won by the player. Accepting the duel is a death sentence for the young 'rival', and an almost automatic win for the Player.

Again, there are now two choices for the player:

Accept the duel - Easily win, killing the young naive rival and be proclaimed 'Champion of Ebonheart'. Reward: Shield of Old Ebonheart = A powerful enchanted steel shield.

Forfeit the duel - Forfeit, sparring the life of the young contestant. Become 'Protector of Ebonheart'. Reward: A powerful enchanted non-combat item IE: amulet, belt etc.

I feel quests should be immersive to the player, allowing them to make choices and feel like they effected the course of events in the world. This quest does exactly that in my mind.

Specific details are certainly subject to change or debate, this is only a rough outline of a quest idea involving the FG I've come up with

I'd like to hear any thoughts on this! And whether folks think something like this is worth pursuing.
sasquatch2o
Developer

Post by sasquatch2o »

Absolutely! Champion of OE is particularly interesting because it is almost a new challenging quest type. Time trial quests could create some new and challenging gameplay for all characters and experienced players. I'm really liking these ideas. Hopefully you'll keep them coming, its good to have another veteran active again.
my opinion.
Tyrant
Developer

Post by Tyrant »

FG Main Quest proposal

Here is a very loose outline for a quest structure I have. If there is any interest in this I can plan it more specifically.

Premise

The basic idea for the FG main is as follows: The player will complete a few 'kill this/these' basic quests and ask to be upgraded into some special elite group within the FG.

Once upgraded into the elite group, you will find that you are working jointly with the Imperial Guard to root out an underground crime syndicate.

It would likely be the Thieves Guild themselves, or perhaps Commonna Tong, or even a different group unique to OE. I would prefer it to be the TG, so that player have the opportunity to choose a side in an actual conflict. I feel it gives more meaning to the choices players make.

The player goes on a few quests using muscle and bullying people for answers. The questline leads you around town, in sketchy allies, and dark bars, forcing you to kill a few people a long the way.

Eventually one of the Imperial Guards starts acting sketchy to you, subtly warning that you are uncovering too much too fast.

In the end of the line, when you uncover the final plot and ringleader of the crime group (moon sugar/skooma distributors most likely) and are about to bring him to justice you are confronted by a corrupt Imperial Guard. (Likely the guard captain). He tells you that you have sniffed around where you shouldn't have. He threatens to kill you, but the drug king pin offers you a different deal:

1.) Accept the bribe and turn a blind eye - You will not have to fight the formidable Guard Captain, and you will retrieve a very large sum of cash (5000-10000 or so)

2.) Bring him to justice - You'll have to kill the Guard Captain. After that, you could kill the drug king pin (or thieves guild leader) without consequence, or speak with him and send him to jail, where he will be for the player to see afterwards.

Doing the 'right thing' would earn the player the disposition of everyone in town, some type of honorary badge of honor from the Imperial Guard, and the highest rank available in the FG.

Doing the 'wrong thing' would earn the player lots of money.

I personally prefer quests where the player if given a choice of what to do. I feel it provides much more immersion. Especially when doing the 'right thing' is an actual choice, rather than doing simply what the quest said.

Any thoughts on this?

Again, if there is interest I would be willing to draw this up in much greater detail.

Thanks

EDIT: In conjunction with my own thoughts and with the suggestion of Rats, I've decided that this quest would probably be better suited for the Imperial Legion of OE. I'll re-propose this there.
Last edited by Tyrant on Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tyrant
Developer

Post by Tyrant »

BTW, can anyone confirm the interior I built for the FG HQ is still the one being used? :P Or has OE been flipped on it's head since I've been gone?
RyanS
Lead Developer

Post by RyanS »

It looks like your interior is still being used, I don't see why it wouldn't. I remember viewing it in the CS -- good work on it, Tyrant. :D
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value. –Albert Einstein

A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others. -Ayn Rand
Tyrant
Developer

Post by Tyrant »

On the topic of FG quests, I would like to see a Guild Member offer Misc. Contracts. These would mostly be simple 'go kill things' type quests, that you could choose from.

Speaking to a specific person in the Guild would open up a multiple choice of available contracts, a long with the reward for each. They could be completed in any order. Although they would not be directly connected to the FG questline, more contracts would become available as the player reaches higher ranks.

A simple 'thing to do' as a guild member besides the questline
sasquatch2o
Developer

Post by sasquatch2o »

I really like this idea! I hope some time sensitive side jobs are added as well. Some more possibilities:

Migrant Bandits- Recover X amount of gold from migrant bandits who have been harassing caravans in the area before they move on (2 days). (stationary)

Tracking - Target is on the move each day. you are only given first location, from there you must you must use persuasion or clues to track them further. Maybe only 2-3 possible spots in tavern or other landmark. ie thief moves further from OE until they leave another port with goods could add interesting conflict between TG and FG. (1 day per location). (mobile)

Deliver X amount of booze- Self explanatory, possible bonus for something select or surplus (4 hours).

search and rescue- Given a relatively small search area find lost or wounded FG member(s). (X days)

Maybe a certain number of these could be required to be completed between ranks. Some amount of side work might be required of all members to to earn the respect needed to advance.
my opinion.
Tyrant
Developer

Post by Tyrant »

Additional Misc. FG Contracts.

Convoy Escort.

Be hired to escort (yes an escort mission) a caravan of merchants from OE to the nearest town. A long the way, predictably there would be a raid on the caravan. Kill the attackers, and continue your journey to the next town, where you would get paid.

Guard duty.

I think it would be somewhat humorous to have a mission, where you are hired as a thug to basically stand somewhere and look tough. Basically some high class citizen has hired you to stand guard near a door for some event.

A high class citizen would be holding some type of event, where you would basically act as a bouncer. For the quest you would stand outside the front door, and NPC's would walk up to you to pass through the door. You would be given a list of names of people that are allowed inside. If someone is not on the list, you must tell them to leave.

If you let any wrong guests in, your reward for the Quest is cut in half.

Likely there would be one belligerent NPC who tries to fist fight you. Hitting him or punching him once would cause him to stop, and leave. Killing him would also cost you half your reward.
Rats
Lead Developer

Post by Rats »

Welcome back, Tyrant. Good to have another quest developer with us.

I'm in bit of a hurry so I won't be able to comment on all the quest ideas that've been suggested, but I feel like the core idea behind the OE main quest proposal them would mayhaps work better with the Legion faction proper. I think OE being the headquarters of the Fighters Guild the main questline for the guild should focus on the juxtaposition between the Camonna Tong controlled chapter in Narsis and the isolated and clueless OE.

As for the Champion of Old Ebonheart tourney, I'd say that though the FG would definitely support their members joining the competition it suit better for it to be hosted by the Lord Chamberlain.
Tyrant
Developer

Post by Tyrant »

Thanks for the input Rats.

To be honest, I actually was thinking the same thing regarding the FG Main Quest I proposed. Going undercover to root out an underground crime society would definitely be more under the Jurisdiction of the Legion rather than the FG. I'd actually like to re-propose this basic outline for the Imperial Legion questline if there isn't a concrete one already.
Tyrant
Developer

Post by Tyrant »

Alternative OE FG Main Quest idea.

Technology has come a long way since Morrowind was released. Not only is the engine being rebuilt, hardware is in a whole new league.

Having said that, I think we should use that, and start doing things that haven't been done in Morrowind.

I want to see a medium-large scale battle.

Here's what In envision:

Imperial Intelligence has been aware of an impending large Ashlander attack for some time. Loyalist leaders of various Minor tribes are uniting in an attempt to take OE, and drive the Empire out of Morrowind.

Now, with the attack happening sooner than expected, the Empire is contracting the Fighters Guild to help protect the city.

(This will be the final quest offered by the FG. You will meet with the highest ranking Imperial officer the night before the attack, to discuss tactics.)

While speaking with the Guard Captain, he will ask your opinion on how to deploy the troops. You will be asked a handful of questions, with multiple choice answers.

-You will have to divvy up a group of 10-20 (by all means larger if this engine is up to it.)Imperial Soldiers into unit types, archers, swordsmen, perhaps exchange 3 soldiers for a battlemage etc. You could make them all melee soldiers, or split them however you like.

-You will also choose where to deploy your Fighters Guild Unit, left flank, right, or center.

-Next, you choose their tactics. You will decide if you want the army to remain close to the front gate and protect it, or if they will full-out charge the enemy.

-Before the battle begins, you will choose two NPC's from the FG to be your personal guards during the battle, they will both do their best to stay near you.

-Also before the battle begins, a member of the imperial cult would ask you which of the Divines you would like to pray to, and whichever divine you choose would provide a different blessing to the army.

-Upon receiving the blessing of your choosing, the battle would commence. The battle would play out on it's own, but you and your personal guards are free to run around as you choose.

-After winning the battle, you would be declared Grand Master of the FG, and receive some honorary badge from the Legion.

-Depending on scripting limitations, there could be multiple waves.
sasquatch2o
Developer

Post by sasquatch2o »

Maybe, something in this vein as legion quest. I'm not as supportive of some of these most recent ideas.
my opinion.
Terrifying Daedric Foe
Developer

Post by Terrifying Daedric Foe »

I'm not really sure that last quest works. Afaik, there is no Ashlander presence in the OE area, and there probably aren't enough in the whole province to launch an organised assault on a fortified Imperial city. Also, there are probably enough guardsmen and legionaries in the city to fight them off without having to hire mercenaries.

However, it could be repurposed to some hapless rich Imperial who bought a farm in Hlaalu territory (or something similar) who's being threatened by bandits/Camonna Tong/whatever and hires a troop of FG mercs to defend his property. Also explains why the PC is in charge of strategy rather than the ranking legion officer.
'The strange thing about TR is that I think it is by and large accepted that we will finish. We are all the sort of crazy people that would do such a thing. We are inevitable.' ~ Thrignar Fraxix
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Re: .

Post by arvisrend »

sasquatch2o wrote:Migrant Bandits- Recover X amount of gold from migrant bandits who have been harassing caravans in the area before they move on (2 days). (stationary)

Tracking - Target is on the move each day. you are only given first location, from there you must you must use persuasion or clues to track them further. Maybe only 2-3 possible spots in tavern or other landmark. ie thief moves further from OE until they leave another port with goods could add interesting conflict between TG and FG. (1 day per location). (mobile)

Deliver X amount of booze- Self explanatory, possible bonus for something select or surplus (4 hours).

search and rescue- Given a relatively small search area find lost or wounded FG member(s). (X days)
These look too much like radiant quests to fit my understanding of TR. Maybe someone has a different idea. Generally, timed quests are unusual in TR and I'd like to keep it that way. It's probably good to use the above not as quests, but as quest elements in other quests.
Tyrant wrote:Convoy Escort.
Looks good, only it better not be OE. The TRV is understood to be really safe. This is better suited as a Velothis FG quest.
Tyrant wrote:Guard duty.
This is a nice one. We have something remotely similar in Firewatch, but it doesn't hurt to have more.
Tyrant wrote:impending large Ashlander attack
Nope.
Terrifying Daedric Foe wrote: However, it could be repurposed to some hapless rich Imperial who bought a farm in Hlaalu territory (or something similar) who's being threatened by bandits/Camonna Tong/whatever and hires a troop of FG mercs to defend his property. Also explains why the PC is in charge of strategy rather than the ranking legion officer.
I like this a lot. A poisoned offering, that sounds very Hlaalu. Plus, the Imperial was likely expected to turn to House Hlaalu for protection and thus pay twice.
Dragon32

Re: .

Post by Dragon32 »

arvisrend wrote:<snip>
Terrifying Daedric Foe wrote: However, it could be repurposed to some hapless rich Imperial who bought a farm in Hlaalu territory (or something similar) who's being threatened by bandits/Camonna Tong/whatever and hires a troop of FG mercs to defend his property. Also explains why the PC is in charge of strategy rather than the ranking legion officer.
I like this a lot. A poisoned offering, that sounds very Hlaalu. Plus, the Imperial was likely expected to turn to House Hlaalu for protection and thus pay twice.
Am I the only one who read this and thought of the Seven Samurai? It's been re-made so many times (Magnificent Seven, Battle Beyond the Stars...) so I think an Elder Scrolls version would be great. Particularly if the FG people need to be recruited for "one last job" / "chance of redemption".

Bit of dialogue based recruiting to start where the PC could fail the recruitment meaning there'd be fewer fighters on their side when it comes to the climactic battle.

Maybe a minor character in a previous FG quest could be one of those who needs to be recruited.
Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

Here are some random ideas on a possible quest.

Perhaps have a quest to recruit two of six possible candidates for the guild at some stage of the quest, that can later aid player in some final confrontatio.:

A) Dunmer archer: Somehow enigmatic elf, who is renowned as a hunter of wild beasts and monsters. He refuses to join the foreigners guild originally. But after several days he approaches player himself and offers him his services if he helps him to recover an artifact that has been stolen from tomb of his ancestors.

B) Orcish barbarian: Proud and skilled fighter. Will join the guild if player defeats him in a duel with a weapon of players choice (unarmed, mace, axe).

C) Redguard crusader: Former legion member, who was retired due to elderly age but still very experienced swordsman. Will join the guild if player has a good reputation and standing with the legion. Or you may do prove your worth by helping with some investigation.

D) Imperial knight: Will join the guild if player promises him a good wage. Asking around his town reveals he owes a large sum of money to some local mobster. Player can offer the mobster to repay the debt either in gold, or by performing some dirty job for him. He can also skip this part, but it will have consequences.

E) Nordic warrior: Renowned drunk. Will reguire some verbal persuasion. You may buy him some drinks (ask locals which ones he prefers and order him those) that might aid.

Player can recruit any of these two. Depending on his choice there will be a possibility to select some helpers for some final enforcing quest.

A) This NPC is a traitor and secretely works for the enemy. He will disappear from the guild before the final confrontation and join the forces of the enemy. He may also do some more damage, like assasinate other guild members, steal some equipment, or betray some important information.

B) There will be no further problems with this NPC. But he is the weakest of them all.

C) Crusader: He will refuse to join player in the final confrontation because his codex of honour will not allow him to do so.

D) Knight: At some stage player witnesses an assasination attempt on the knight and has to help him defeat the attackers. After that the knight admits himself on having these problems. Now you can go talk to the gangster and offer him the payment. If you refuse to do so, he gets insulted and you have to kill him and his goons. If you do not do this, after next FG quest there will be a succesfull assasination attempt. Once the knight is out of trouble he will join player gladly in the final confrontation.

E) Nord: Will cause some bar brawl during the questline, which will trigger a sidequest. Player can either pay caution for him to get him out of prison or leave him there. If he chooses the first, the nord will gladly join player in the final confrontation and fight fiercly by his side.
THEO
sasquatch2o
Developer

Post by sasquatch2o »

What I like about the times quests is that it would allow elements of a quest to change or the outcome to be different based on something other than character skills. Something where ai characters move through world each day could be really interesting and new. There is only so much that can be added with flavor to freshen up a tired quest structure. This would be new and should be used as is or integrated into a few new quests.
my opinion.
Tyrant
Developer

Post by Tyrant »

Any updates on this one? Curious to see how it turns out. If there's a rough outline I wouldn't mind putting some time into helping out again.