Solstheim a little too close?

Brainstorming, discussing, and drafting of the Master Plan happens here.

Moderator: Lead Developers

Dormichigan64
Developer
Location: Stop trying to see where I live, you creepy bastard! (Kingston, Ontario)

Solstheim a little too close?

Post by Dormichigan64 »

I have a feeling that Solstheim is a little too close to the mainland. It looks like it's a part of Morrowind when it's not. It's supposed to be an independent island, and the farther away, the more remote it seams, which is what we want, right? It doesn't seam very remote when it's that close to Morrowind.

I think it should look more like [url=http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120706152110/elderscrolls/images/f/f3/Tamrielcomposite.jpg]this[/url].
"When life gives you lemonade, make lemons. And life will be all like 'what??'" - Phil Dunphy's Phil's-osophy

(\_/)
(-.-)
(>_<)
Shhh, bunny be snoozing. lolcatz
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

Ideally, there probably should be more distance between Solstheim and the mainland, but by now it's too late/not worth the effort of altering the shore to add more sea, imo.
-Head of NPCs: [url=http://www.shotn.com/forums/]Skyrim: Home of the Nords[/url]
Marandahir

Post by Marandahir »

What's the harm with cutting out Solstheim, putting it farther away, and just leaving the space where it was with open waters, maybe adding more watery elements? Eventually, Telvannis is going to be blown apart, so the "too much effort" argument seems a bit excuse-y.
RyanS
Lead Developer

Post by RyanS »

Moving an entire landmass is not TR's job. Other mods can do that.
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value. –Albert Einstein

A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others. -Ayn Rand
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

"Too much effort" is short for "too much effort for the expected benefit". The Telvanni rebuilding effort will see a mostly lackluster and geographically unexciting region become something new and better; moving Solstheim would merely serve to increase an unrealistically short distance.
Marandahir

Post by Marandahir »

Gotcha.

I thought after I hit the submit, the complications that might come from moving Solstheim. Organizing the coast was TR's job, and this was an unfortunate mistake, to put the coast so close, but moving Solstheim would be like the doubling of Mournhold NPCs and all into the new Almalexia; a whole lot of picking up everyone.
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

As I understand it the basic problem with Solstheim was that Tamriel Rebuilt was underway before Bloodmoon came out and the island of Solstheim even existed. When Bloodmoon came out, the location of Solstheim intersected with the map TR had already been using at the time. TR compromised by altering its map around Solstheim to accommodate the new landmass.
The solution may not have been the best, but at this point changing it would probably be more trouble than it is worth, as stated above. Note that most of this happened before I joined; I only vaguely remember reading a thread in which the matter was discussed.