Bleakrock Isle's Location on Tamriel Rebuilt's Map

Miscellaneous non-TR related discussion.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Morrocookie

Bleakrock Isle's Location on Tamriel Rebuilt's Map

Post by Morrocookie »

I'm sure many of you are aware of Bleakrock Isle, a small island added in ESO at the western entrance of the Inner Sea near Solstheim, but I was curious whether TR had plans to create this small island and if not, what the location of this island would be in conjunction with TR's latest (to my knowledge) landmass map. Should the project not have plans to recreate this island, I plan to begin work on creating it both as a passion project and a method of honing my CS skills, but of course would not want the island conflicting with Tamriel Rebuilt. I've added a few circles indicating where I believe the best locations for the island would be (red being most accurate to ESO's map, purple being least accurate). Please share any thoughts you have on this subject!

[url=http://www.esohead.com/map#27.3.67.28]Interactive ESO Map, to see Bleakrock's location[/url]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/fMRdfbf.jpg[/img]
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

I would guess probably not. "Bleakrock" is a blatantly generic name, and the area around Solsthiem is already pretty crowded on our map, with Baan Malur only a relatively short trek away. I also don't see how our world would benefit from the extra island, to be honest. We already have plenty of our own locations to worry about without taking Bethesda's random additions into account.

For your project, I would build the island in the area circled in purple to maintain compatibility. We definitely won't put anything that far north.
Last edited by Yeti on Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.
-Head of NPCs: [url=http://www.shotn.com/forums/]Skyrim: Home of the Nords[/url]
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

We probably will not be creating that island. To be frank, I am somewhat mystified at the tendency for new islands to materialize northwest of Vvardenfell; I had never thought it to be such prime real-estate. The situation appears to be more complex than that, though; compared to the Bethesda maps, Skyrim appears to be leaning into Morrowind in ESO, and I think one could make a very valid argument that Bleakrock should actually be north of Skyrim, not Morrowind. Another valid idea would be that Bleakrock is, in fact, Blacklight. This is quite likely, as ESO's Skuldafn is roughly where Blacklight should be, and it wouldn't make any sense for those two locations to occupy the same spot. The alternative is that Blacklight has been shifted all the way south to the Inner Sea.

Anyway, long story short I would suggest going with the location in red, if you want to be accurate to ESO's map, but due to the severe incompatibility between ESO's maps and Bethesda's (and consequently our own) any location east of [url=http://www.shotn.com/forums/]SHoTN[/url]'s (as-yet uncreated) Windhelm and west of Vvardenfell would work.

Edit: and Yeti, I doubt Bleakrock was Bethesda's idea; while ZenimMax Online Studios no doubt conferred heavily with Bethesda on various lore-and-geography-related subjects, I suspect they added Bleakrock as a generic starting zone of their own initiative and didn't think too deeply about it. At most the people at Bethesda probably just shrugged their shoulders and said 'go ahead'.
Dormichigan64
Developer
Location: Stop trying to see where I live, you creepy bastard! (Kingston, Ontario)

Post by Dormichigan64 »

I, personally, don't like ESO in general, especially lore-wise. Such as no dwemer ruins in Morrowind. I don't agree upon adding it in any TR releases, but as a stand-alone mod, I think it would be quite cool.
"When life gives you lemonade, make lemons. And life will be all like 'what??'" - Phil Dunphy's Phil's-osophy

(\_/)
(-.-)
(>_<)
Shhh, bunny be snoozing. lolcatz