Temple [Faction]

Brainstorming, discussing, and drafting of the Master Plan happens here.

Moderator: Lead Developers

Gnomey
Lead Developer

Temple [Faction]

Post by Gnomey »

A very important faction, though it naturally hasn't seen much planning, or I wouldn't have to make a thread for it. I don't have much to say here, either, so I'll just quote again:
klep wrote:Concerning faction relationships, or NPC reactions towards members of other factions.

In [url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?p=326454#326454]another thread[/url] I started drawing a table to determine faction relationships with other factions, which has changed a few times since the first sketch. The table shows NPC reactions towards members of different factions. The table should be read by finding the source faction on the left hand column, and matching it with a faction from the top row. See the table in the spoiler below.
Gnomey wrote: First of all, in those graphs, I think the vertical columns are really the most important. They show how the opinions of members of factions change upon the player joining a certain faction.
Always remember that faction relations are inherently player-centric. The player will probably never join Her Hands, for instance, so figuring out what other factions would think of Her Hands would mostly be a waste of time. Figuring out what Her Hands thinks (if anything) of other factions is, however, very important.
Truth be told, I think it might be more reasonable to just figure out the vertical columns in the individual faction threads. This would split the task into bite-sized portions, allowing for proper discussion, and it would be rather easy to then go through the faction threads and gather the results.
Per Gnomey’s advice I am now splitting this up through the faction threads. Please discuss in this thread the reactions of other factions towards [the Temple] to keep things organised.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

[...]
klep
Lead Developer

Post by klep »

What I deem most important is to distinguish the Temple from House Indoril. They are deeply entwined, but still are separate factions and the player should be able to feel this. It would be boring to have two of the same factions with different names. How this should be accomplished I do not know, and I think it wise to have a clearer view of House Indoril before delving into the Temple.

I am curious about where the Temples will be, especially those purposed for Almsivi Intervention.
Dreadnautilus

Post by Dreadnautilus »

klep wrote:What I deem most important is to distinguish the Temple from House Indoril. They are deeply entwined, but still are separate factions and the player should be able to feel this. It would be boring to have two of the same factions with different names. How this should be accomplished I do not know, and I think it wise to have a clearer view of House Indoril before delving into the Temple.
I thought it was pretty clear. House Indoril are theocratic legislators, not monks or preachers.

Note that Progress of Truth claims that "The temple hierarchy has been corrupted by self-interest and politics, and no longer acts in the best interests of the Temple or its worshippers" and "Though the Dissident Priests acknowledge that most rank-and-file priests honor the best traditions of the Temple, they believe that many priests in higher ranks are interested more in love of authority and luxury than in the welfare of the poor, weak, and ignorant." I didn't notice many things in vanilla Morrowind dealing with corruption in the priesthood. I think delving into a corrupt church could provide for some interesting quests and lore. Just look at all the crazy shenanigans real world popes got into.