maggot7896's Quest Showcase

In order to implement content in-game, you must be a Developer. This is the place for you to introduce yourself, and apply to become a TR Developer.

Moderator: Lead Developers

maggot7896

maggot7896's Quest Showcase

Post by maggot7896 »

Well, hello. I am quite new to this sort of thing. I've always loved Morrowind, but I've never really been good with the construction set. Or TESAME, for that matter. I'm not even sure if I cleaned this correctly. I'm not very good at interiors or questing, my true prowess is in writing. Anyways, I just wanted to put something up here that was really my first attempt at a quest, and see if I could garner some feedback. It would be much appreciated, as I'd like to better my modding skills. To start the quest, find Aldarilar outside Fort Moonmoth. Thank you for your time! :)
Attachments
Clean_TheAltmerBountyHunter.esp
Like I said, I'm bad at interiors. Be gentle :p
(79.72 KiB) Downloaded 197 times
Let's not make this official outlander, move along.
Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

Hi, welcome to Tamriel Rebuilt! I hope you enjoy your time here.

I myself am not really knowledgeable when it comes to questing and scripting, but I'm sure someone who is will look at your showcase shortly!

(I'm editing the title of your topic so it's more recognisable as being yours)
maggot7896

Post by maggot7896 »

Ah, well thank you! I appreciate the quick response!
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Not having the time for a proper look yet, but just a first exercise. What happens if I pick up the sword, then drop it and pick it up again?

Code: Select all

Record: SCPT "aa_orcsword" Flags:0x0000 ()
  SCHD: ID:aa_orcsword  Num_Shorts:1  Num_Longs:0  Num_Floats:0  Data_Size:56  Local_Var_Size:5
  SCVR: Script_Variables: done
  SCDT: Bytecode:(compiled script code)
  SCTX: Script_Text:
begin aa_orcsword

short done

if ( done == 1 )

return

endif

if ( onactivate == 1 )

Journal "aa_bh" 20

set done to 1

activate

endif

end

Also, the file isn't completely clean:

Code: Select all

E:\games\mw>tes3cmd clean "Data Files\Clean_TheAltmerBountyHunter.esp"

CLEANING: "Data Files\Clean_TheAltmerBountyHunter.esp" ...
Loaded cached Master: <DATADIR>/morrowind.esm
 Cleaned duplicate record (DOOR): door_cavern_doors10
 Cleaned duplicate record (DOOR): ex_cave_door_01
Output saved in: "Data Files\Clean_Clean_TheAltmerBountyHunter.esp"
Original unaltered: "Data Files\Clean_TheAltmerBountyHunter.esp"

Cleaning Stats for "Data Files\Clean_TheAltmerBountyHunter.esp":
                duplicate record:     2
maggot7896

Post by maggot7896 »

Stumped already! :( I'm honestly not sure what happens that is negative when I pick up the sword, drop it, and pick it up again. It still worked fine for me in-game... could you please explain? Also, to be honest, I'm not sure how to finish cleaning this. I tried using the automatic clean, but I get an error: Cannot open file C:\Users\Owner\Desktop\dbase\WEAP.txt. Not a clue what that means. I tried cleaning it manually, by deleting all the GMST's. So in other words, I don't know exactly what else I need to do. Sorry for all the questions. In the meantime however, I am going to try and get better at scripting, and make a new quest, probably without the dungeon. I'll also make it more creative, not a simple "fetch this item" quest. Thank you again for your time!
maggot7896

Post by maggot7896 »

Okay, I went back in and deleted those two door references. I think that's all I had to do, but I'm not sure. Apologies, I am trying to become more knowledgeable with these things.
Attachments
Copy of Clean_TheAltmerBountyHunter.esp
(79.42 KiB) Downloaded 207 times
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Yes, the file looks cleaner now. Generally, there are several ways to clean an ESP file; the most common one is to open it in TESAME and go over all items, deleting the ones that you have not willingly changed (this is good for cleaning everything but exterior cells). Alternatively, make a tes3cmd dump and delete all unintended changes using "tes3cmd delete" if you are good with the command line. Or do the same in the CS (which is the simplest option for mods that are not too big). I do not understand what the WEAP.txt is that you were missing; what tool were you trying to use?

Your dialogue is very good except for a minor issue: there are some overused idioms ("You look like you can take care of yourself", "far beyond your comprehension", "incompetence of the locals", "if you'll excuse me", "May they serve you well") which I just feel like I've heard too often in Morrowind. "posession" is also misspelt.

The script actually works well -- sorry! I thought it would cease to be activatable after the first try, but apparently the "return" before the "if (onactivate == 1)" causes this not to happen.

I'd still prefer you to show a bit more scripting work for a quest showcase. If you want to keep using this quest, please make sure that it is finishable if the player first kills the orc and gets the blade and only then talks to the bounty hunter. This is a very real possibility and currently breaks the quest.
maggot7896

Post by maggot7896 »

I was trying to use the auto-clean feature of TESAME, sorry forgot to mention that. And thank you for pointing out the issues with the dialogue, I will definitely keep that in mind for the future. At the moment, sadly, I am not knowledgeable enough in scripting to make the quest work even if the player picks up the sword first. But, I'm very determined to learn. I have downloaded the latest "Scripting for Dummies", and am going to try and get better. I already have a few ideas for a new quest, and I'll try to learn how to make the old one work.
rot
Lead Developer

Post by rot »

Welcome, always good to see a new quester!

The easiest way to learn how to script would be to look at existing scripts for bits of the game you've played. Whenever you see something ingame, wonder how it's done, check it out and you'll soon learn. Beyond that it's mostly a matter of learning a few tricks and a lot of standard bugs (I think we can call them that now...) to avoid.