i3-777-Imp

After an interior claim has been cleared by a review, the thread will be moved here. Discussion is still allowed.

Moderators: Seneca37, Lead Developers

Seneca37
Lead Developer

i3-777-Imp

Post by Seneca37 »

Claim type: Interior
Claim ID: TR_i3-777-Imp (#2755)
Faction: Imperial
Parent claim: TR_3-24-Imp (#128)
Claimed by: Seneca37
Local map: OE Docks 10/6/2014
Files: TR_i3-777-Imp_Rats_1.esp; TR_i3-777-Imp_seneca37_1.esp; TR_i3-777-Imp_seneca37_2.esp; TR_i3-777-Imp_seneca37_3.esp; TR_i3-777-Imp_seneca37_4.esp; TR_i3-777-Imp_seneca37_5.esp; TR_i3-777-Imp_seneca37_6.esp

---

VERY HIGH PRIORITY:The flagship of the Imperial Navy's Morrowind Fleet in the "Old Ebonheart, Docks". An indomitable galleon.

Use "TR_Gnomey_Shiptest" cell in the attached file as a reference.

"Imperial Warship" on Local Map. Check out the latest exterior cell: http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=24615
Rats
Lead Developer

Post by Rats »

Claim opened. This is high priority as it's OE.
Seneca37
Lead Developer

Post by Seneca37 »

There are some issues that need to be dealt with this interior and the associated exterior - so I'm claiming it.
Last edited by Seneca37 on Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seneca37
Lead Developer

Post by Seneca37 »

Granted
Seneca37
Lead Developer

Post by Seneca37 »

I have fixed several of the TR\I models, including the interiors for the warship. These will need to be incorporated into the bsa file. I still have issues with the Warship's raised sections - if nobody minds - I'll fix those to have a plank texture, and fix the wood-rings to be circular (not oval as they are now). I see that you put in a hatch - good work Rats - I was wondering how people would get inside this thing. I'll also incorporate your new wall into my bsa update file. And finally - I guess wollibeebee isn't going to do the RCN for this, so I'll get that done too.

Edit: I'll also fix the stairs so you don't need to use the collision wall to get up them.
Rats
Lead Developer

Post by Rats »

All the improvements sound good to me. Go for it.
Seneca37
Lead Developer

Post by Seneca37 »

I've uploaded my basic plan for the Warship interior.
The is a very preliminary interior, just looking for any comments on the general design.

The upper level is designed for the officers, and any dignitaries. The bow section (front) is for the dignitary, maybe an admiral or some high ranking political official. The middle room is for the captain. The aft (back) section is for the officers.

The lower section is for the main crew. The middle section is the galley. The bow section is the main sleeping area. And the aft section is for storage and possibly additional sleeping quarters.

You will need to also use the attached files (place the extracted files into the "Data Files/Meshes/tr/i" directory). One file has the fixed interiors, which were full of keyframes. The other file has new walls for the ship. I didn't like the BM walls because that middle section looks like a stucco type material, even though the texture has the work "wood" in it.
Attachments
ShipWalls.7z
New walls for ship
(3.58 KiB) Downloaded 124 times
tr_in_imp_warship.7z
Fixed interiors
(54.09 KiB) Downloaded 127 times
Rats
Lead Developer

Post by Rats »

The design is great. It's a small miracle that you've managed to fit so much stuff/different areas in a relatively tiny space.
sasquatch2o
Developer

Post by sasquatch2o »

I would remove 2 of the four tables and fill the space with crates and barrels to the ceiling held back by rope or a net. There is not enough storage. I would also move food prep to the back of bottom level and remove the two beds in there for more storage and hanging food. I would also consider making the back section a very cramped full split level if possible (more storage) or you could try to put a black door in there with a grate over it for moving goods between bottom and mid level.
my opinion.
Seneca37
Lead Developer

Post by Seneca37 »

Thanks for the comments. Yes, I was planning on putting a lot more crates and hanging food baskets throughout the interior. Once I've packed all the current storage areas (upper and lower) with armor/weapons crates, I planned on seeing if it needed more, and possibly removing the bedrolls if necessary.

The grate is an interesting idea - I'll see how it pans out.
sasquatch2o
Developer

Post by sasquatch2o »

This being such a large ship I think itd be nice if someone was willing to make some further modifications to the ship model. I'd like to see the middeck be open to the exterior and a basic model made for the cabin. This would allow the size of the captain's quarters to be slightly exaggerated and the open interior would make exploring the ship very unique.

Here are some images to illustrate what I mentioned.

storage:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-VbiejmmwxWY/Tk2DctDJitI/AAAAAAAAAoM/3TRiFmPLP1c/s320/Balclutha+cargo+hold.jpg

the black door:
http://greenupgrader.com/files/2008/08/image-thumb87.jpg
https://www.flickr.com/photos/merryjack/6683598453/
my opinion.
Seneca37
Lead Developer

Post by Seneca37 »

Would a couple people try out my latest update in-game?

I seem to be having some kind of problem with this file - it causes a random CTD. Sometimes I can walk around for up to 30 minutes in here no problem, other times after a minute or 2 it crashes. I will usually see the hull wall flicker (actually they disappear for 1 or 2 frames then come back). Once I start to see that, the game usually crashes in a minute or 2.
Seneca37
Lead Developer

Post by Seneca37 »

It appears that I had a bad graphics card driver. I rolled back my Nvidia drivers and all is working fine now. So its back to the CS to finish this one up.
Seneca37
Lead Developer

Post by Seneca37 »

New Interior Door for Imperial Navy Warship

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yyb3dmx9rgint ... 1.png?dl=0
Zoomed in view
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rv1hgcv0fqqh7 ... 2.png?dl=0

Let me know what you think.

I had some problems with the .dds version of the texture. Everything looked fine in blender and Nifskope, but my new surface did not show up in-game or the CS. I am currently using a .tga version. If anyone has any suggestions about making .dds textures please let me know. I'm using gimp, have installed the plug-in for dds files, used the default setting (no compression) and tried with and without mipmaps.
Rats
Lead Developer

Post by Rats »

The doors look just great with the burned insignia.

I don't know what could be causing the issue with Gimp and .dds textures (always work for me with the same settings you tried; no compression, no mipmaps), but if you send me the .tga files I can convert them.
Seneca37
Lead Developer

Post by Seneca37 »

Well that's good to know - about Gimp and dds files. I'll play with it some more - reinstall the dds plugin and see what happens. I must be doing something wrong.
Seneca37
Lead Developer

Post by Seneca37 »

Found my problem with DDS files:
The textures I was making did not use the alpha channel, so I removed it, before saving. This causes nothing but grief. It appears that DDS files must always have an alpha channel, at least as far as the MW engine is concerned.

Notes from Wikipedia on S3 Texture Compression:
DXT1 does not store alpha data enabling higher compression ratios.
Typically DXT3 are well suited to images with sharp alpha transitions, between translucent and opaque areas.
DXT5 use an interpolated alpha scheme, they generally produce superior results for alpha (transparency) gradients than DXT3
Seneca37
Lead Developer

Post by Seneca37 »

Here are the meshes, textures and data to be incorporated into the TR_Data.esm file. For version 3.
Attachments
TR_Data_Seneca37_002.7z
(99.49 KiB) Downloaded 130 times
Seneca37
Lead Developer

Post by Seneca37 »

Here are some images of the new pieces proposed for the Warship.

Ship Door

Ship Walls

Navy Tankard

I thought it would be nice to introduce a new item for the player. The navy tankard has the navy emblem as a decal on the front. Suggested value 5.
Rats
Lead Developer

Post by Rats »

Looking good, seneca37. The navy emblem on the tankard is a nice idea, though it could be little less opaque to better blend in with the rest of the texture.
Seneca37
Lead Developer

Post by Seneca37 »

Rats wrote:Looking good, seneca37. The navy emblem on the tankard is a nice idea, though it could be little less opaque to better blend in with the rest of the texture.
Hmmm. That last statement is more difficult than expected.

I used the Decal-0 texture option of the nif file to put in the Navy Emblem. The original texture is only a 64x64 texture. Scaling the emblem down to that size, essentially made it just a blob. This is why I used the Decal-0 texture. I was able to use a 256x256 emblem here, on top of the 64x64 texture.

Unfortunately, it appears that this texture (Decal-0) treats the alpha channel as a binary. Either 100% opaque or 100% transparent. There is no smoothing option that works here. At least, as far as NifSkope is concerned. I'll need to do more testing with the CS, to see if NifSkope implemented this texture the same way. It should be noted that this is an unused option of the file (meaning Bethesda never used it). It doesn't mean it can't work, Bethesda also never used the FlipController or the StencilProperty and these are now widely used by others.

I have been asking around the forums; Bethesda, NifSkope ..., but haven't found anyone who's used this option before. Blender 2.49b doesn't seem have this option, so most people don't know about it.
Seneca37
Lead Developer

Post by Seneca37 »

Finally got it to work. The Decal texture does work as I had hoped, and can have a smooth alpha channel. Its just that in order to see thru the decal, alpha must be down around 100 (0=transparent, 255=opaque). There is also no need for an NiAlphaProperty- the texture works fine without it.

Here are 2 possible naval tankards. I dare not make them more transparent as the color tends to fade. The black one is already a bit grayish. Let me know what you think.
Attachments
NavyTankard2.png
(389.83 KiB) Downloaded 146 times
Rats
Lead Developer

Post by Rats »

Cool. I like the gray one better.

Never even knew about the Decal property. It opens a whole bunch of possibilities.
Seneca37
Lead Developer

Post by Seneca37 »

I've been working on updating TR_Data. Once that is out I'll finish this.
Seneca37
Lead Developer

Post by Seneca37 »

Version _4 requires at least TR_Data.esm v14.12B.

I've gone with the notion that the ship is in dock for resupplying. Hence, all the empty crates/baskets etc. Also most of the weapons, I figure, have been taken to the local blacksmith for repair.

If this is ok - then the interior is essentially done. I'll give it one more going over and then submit for review.
Rats
Lead Developer

Post by Rats »

There's a stack of three crates in the back of the ship on the lower deck that looks like it would be a little too wobbly a way of storing them. Maybe replace with a long crate that's resting against the ship's side?

I'd also rotate the row of navy tankards on the shelf 180 degrees from their current position so that the player can see the navy emblem on them.

^These things are obviously just nitpicks; all in all the interior looks just great.
Seneca37
Lead Developer

Post by Seneca37 »

Off to review
Seneca37
Lead Developer

Post by Seneca37 »

I fixed the crates - but left the tankards alone. They are all placed as though they've been put away or are in use. I don't want to "showcase" them.

In the bottom level - the pillows are positioned on the bed to indicate which bunks are free. I would guess that while in port, a few of the crew members would end their tour of duty, and a few would replace them.

The captain is a old sea farer. Loves fishing, and a bit superstitious. He keeps a black pearl for luck - some old wife's tale about keeping the wind blowing and storms at bay. (Not in lore)
RyanS
Lead Developer

Post by RyanS »

TESAME: Clean

Fits exterior: Yes

Northmarker set: Yes
Loading errors: No

Review: Ambient/Sunlight/Fog/IllegaltoSleepHere: Good/Good/Good/Set
Tileset: Correct
Books: Good
Containers: Ok
Rotation: Good
In-game: Good
Locks/Traps: Ok
Sounds: Ok
New references: Good

FLOATERS:
-sc_paper plain
-Misc_Uni_Pillow_02
-imperial broadsword
-_misc_com_silverware_plate_07
-imperial netch blade
-Misc_Uni_Pillow_02

BLEEDERS:
-active_com_bed_04
-misc_de_fishing_pole
-com_basket_01_chpfood
-TR_misc_impn_tankard_01
-com_sack_gold_rnd too far into wall
-sc_daynarsairybubble
-p_vintagecomberrybrandy1
-com_chest_02_empty
-crate_01_food
-crate_02_food
-furn_com_p_table_01
-furn_com_p_bench_01
-repair_journeyman_01

OTHER ISSUES:
-added some In_Lava_Blacksquare around the ship
-other minor adjustments were made

Comments Fantastic work, Seneca37. Not only was this interior quite unique, but there were very few errors overall.

Rating 10 out of 10
Attachments
TR_i3-777-Imp.esp
(43.57 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value. –Albert Einstein

A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others. -Ayn Rand
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

I'd taken a look at this earlier in the CS, but only checked it in-game today. One thing I wondered is where any prisoners would be kept, but I suppose they could be stuffed into the storage room. It probably wouldn't come up much anyway. Other than that, the only detail that struck me as odd is that the first mate would sign his name 'First Mate', but I suppose that's there as a placeholder. Or the first mate is an Argonian called First-Mate. :P
Tes96
Reviewer

Review

Post by Tes96 »

Review: Northmarker: Yes
Illegal to Sleep: Yes
Fits Exterior: Yes

TOP:
-Lowered Furn_colony_ladder01 a little so bottom step was not bleeding out of floor
-Slightly adjusted TR_m3-777_l_c_lant_2_177_Sway on hook
-TR_furn_com_tapestry_imp02b bleeding into wall
-TR_furn_com_tapestryDY bleeding into wall
-Rotated TR_furn_com_tapestryDY so they weren't fall turned the same way (8x)
-Rotated misc_com_wood_bowl_02 (6x)
-Rotated misc_com_metal_goblet_02 (5x)
-com_sack_gold_rnd bleeding into wall
-Moved com_chest_01_empty on upper deck back against wall so bunk beds could be moved back so player could have more walking room
-Moved bunkbeds (2x)
-Moved crate_02_food so player could reach TR_barrel_01_drinks_che
-Moved crate_02_de_mclothes so player could reach it
-Rotated and resized p_restore_health_s to avoid monotony (4x)
-Resized p_water_breathing_s (2x)
-Rotated TR_misc_com_silverware_plate_07 (4x)
-Raised lock level for com_chest_02_tomb_rare from 75 to 90 since it has over 200 gold and a couple potions
-Rotated TR_misc_com_silverware_bottle
-Raised lock level for com_chest_02_vault_03 from 90 to 100
-Moved misc_com_bucket_01 because door would bleed into it when you opened it during gameplay.
-Added a couple more light_com_lantern_01_Off in upper deck

I left two of the crates on the top level as they were so that the Player has to use telekinesis to access them. The items up near the bunk beds still require telekinesis because I cannot activate them, even with a male High Elf character. I'm assuming the NPCs would crawl to get to these areas in real life but this works just fine for game purposes. I guess those without magic or scrolls will be out of luck.

BOTTOM:
-F'ed TR_w_imp_bsword_03
-hammer_repair bleeding into wall
-Misc_Uni_Pillow_02 clipping into hammock
-Lowered hammock (ring clipping into other ring on pole)
-Repositioned TR_furn_com_rope_01 to be flat on the floor instead of slanted against the barrel. Rope couldn't sit like that.
-Lowered misc_com_iron_ladle to be resting on top of water barrel

Comments -"TR_furn_crate_open_05" model is missing two sides on the lower legs. Model is caspering; needs to be fixed!

*Weapons/armor and other items that deteriorate with usage still need to have their health changed. I wouldn't expect a pair of boots to be in perfect condition here. Leaving this for the final reviewer.

Rating
Attachments
Clean TR_i3-777-Imp.esp
TR_i3-777-imp
(43.72 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
[url=http://www.project-tamriel.com/]Project Tamriel[/url]

"If one is to understand the arcane arts, one must study all its aspects, not just the dogmatic narrow view of the Mages Guild."
Seneca37
Lead Developer

Post by Seneca37 »

Review: I made the following minor changes:
Resized bunkbeds to be 0.95. This gives the same room at the foot of the bed, as Tes96 had. It also gives a bit of extra room on the sides.
Added another hook (unused) between bunks, for symmetry purposes.
Added black squares outside top section, in case player could see out when on level with bunk beds.
Lowered # of uses on all repair items.
Adjusted health of all weapons.

Comments Excellent reviews by RyanS and Tes96.

New items:
TR_m3-777_l_c_lant_2_177_S, new swaying com lantern
tr_m3-777_fm_note, note from first mate about weapons being repaired in town.

There is no armor in here to really speak of. When the Imperial Naval Uniforms are done they should be added throughout this interior.

Rating
Seneca37
Lead Developer

Post by Seneca37 »

Use my latest file (_6) at the top.
Rats
Lead Developer

Post by Rats »

Huzzah! Will merge this in the OE section file.