My constant modeling problems

Place where approved concepts are developed into in-game assets. (Models & Textures)

Moderator: Lead Developers

DestinedToDie
Developer

My constant modeling problems

Post by DestinedToDie »

Since niftools forum blocked me from registering after failing to read the confirmation code 5 times, I'm posting my problems here in hopes that someone can resolve them. Also I can't get into chatspike for some reason, I get:

menu
Status
[10:49] qwebirc v0.93
[10:49] Copyright (C) 2008-2014 Chris Porter and the qwebirc project.
[10:49] http://www.qwebirc.org
[10:49] Licensed under the GNU General Public License, Version 2.
[10:49] == Connecting to server, please wait...
[10:49] == Disconnected from server: Connection to IRC server failed.

Anyway, to the point. I'll just provide you a screenshot so that you can see the issue.

https://i.imgur.com/ChHPhhu.png

As you can see, my beatiful model has walls that your eyes cannot pierce in 3D Max. However when I export it as a .nif, you can see through the wall that you're facing. The roof is also see-through if you look at it from above, but you can see it from below. When I add this model into the game, the problem persists. Any ideas why my walls are invisible depending on observation point? Plz don't say quantum mechanics.

I'll attach the nif file as well.
Attachments
Brichouse.nif
(6.01 KiB) Downloaded 124 times
sirrah
Developer

Post by sirrah »

I didn't check your .nif, but if I understand, you want your models faces to be visible from both sides?

[Redacted! Just read seneca37's post below.]

You might want to keep double-sided lighting turned off so that you can tell where your normals are facing.

Edit: Of course, if you just wanted the visible surfaces to only be on the outside, like Vanilla meshes, then all you need to do is select all faces and flip normals.

Edit 2: Whoops, I didn't know about NiStencilProperty; that's a lot more straight-foward. Sorry for the mis-info!
Last edited by sirrah on Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DestinedToDie
Developer

Post by DestinedToDie »

Thanks! I think I got this problem solved.
Seneca37
Lead Developer

Post by Seneca37 »

As sirrah said - all the normal were pointing in the wrong direction.

However MW DOES support double-sided faces. You can add the NiStencilProperty to the mesh and the normals will no longer effect how the mesh is rendered.