Fragmentary Manuscripts of the Saturniidae Library

Place where in-game literature is written and developed.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Xui'al
Developer Emeritus

Post by Xui'al »

In 3E 387 the Saturniidae Library at the Temple of the Ancestor Moth in Cyrodiil was demolished. This was a library in name only. The bulk of the volumes of the small and damp structure had long been moved to the Temple’s main library three centuries previous. The structure was largely ignored until renovations at the Temple slated the structure for demolition, and available documentation records no librarian after 3E 102. In preparation for the demolition, a number of damaged manuscripts were found in situ. More interestingly, some were also found in a small, bricked-up alcove. When and why these texts were secured in this manner is unknown. Several theories have surfaced based on the contents of the surviving texts, but only a fraction of those in the niche survived and thus a representation of the whole is not possible.

Centuries of neglect, damp conditions, and the presence of insects has made the state of the surviving texts perilous. Few have more than a dozen readable folios, and those that are readable can only be done so with difficulty. Most of these texts are known, but not all, and a few have interesting variants. This catalogue has been published with the goal of making scholars aware of what was found. A full diplomatic edition will follow in the future to preserve this find.

Codex Y. I. 13.
1 (ff. 1-6v). 2920, First Seed. Carlovac Townway.
2 (ff. 180-1). 2920, Hearth Fire. Carlovac Townway.
3 (ff. 245-6v). Chronicles of the Five Companions, vol. 7. Abnur Tharn.
Only these leaves remain in the bound leather codex, the rest having been ripped out quite carefully. The surviving sheets are blackened with mildew. The text is written in an attractive Antiochan hand by a single scribe upon parchment sheets, perhaps suggesting it was put together under the Potentate. Together with large margins this suggests that this was at one time a very expensive volume.

Fragment 1
Half a folio. Parchment. The recto contains writing in an elegant Altmeri hand normally dated to the Second Era. Stitch marks on the left of the recto indicates that this was a part of a codex. Few words are legible, but the first line clearly reads “...participate in re-enactments of the deeds of Sload...â€Â￾

Fragment 2
Two folios. Paper. In an unremarkable Second Era hand. Appears to be a copy of the “Nine Commands of the Eight Divinesâ€Â￾.

Codex Y. I. 76
1 (ff. 1-156). A small paper codex that is largely undamaged. It contains a single work written in an standard Second Era Nibenese hand. The text is a lengthy prose account of Topal the Pilot’s voyage up the Niben, but contains such absurdities that it can scarcely be said to have any historical value. However, extensive marginal notes in a cursive hand suggest that someone was taking a serious interest in it.

Fragment 3
Single folio. Paper. In a messy hand, probably from the early Third Era. Contains a list of names and book titles.

Codex Y. I. 164
1 (ff. 103-12v). The intact proem labels this play ‘Dibella and the Hermit’.
2 (ff. 145-77). Commentary on Albicius Grenthen’s ‘Mercy of Stendarr’.
3 (f. ?). Leaflet supporting the cult of Dibella in Sentinel.
Damaged parchment codex of Third Era provenience.

Codex Y. I. 179
Damaged paper codex containing 44 folios of Ancestor Moth rules.

Fragment 4
Three folios in a clear Nibenese hand from the Third Era. Contains Dunmer religious works.

Fragment 5
Single folio. Found inside the otherwise destroyed Codex Y. I. 31. Parchment. Ayleidic writing covering both recto and verso. In a very fragile condition.

Fragment 6
Two folios. Paper. Apparently a treatise for affixing seals to letters.
'What if man is not really a scoundrel - man in general, I mean, the whole race of mankind - then all the rest is prejudice, simply artificial terrors and there are no barriers and it's all as it should be.'
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

I've only now gotten around to reading this (it was posted while I was on vacation). It's very interesting, and seems like the sort of thing that might be tucked away in the Old Ebonheart library or archives, but there doesn't really seem to be any reason for this catalog to be found outside of Cyrodiil, which is my main issue with it in regard to TR. The only real reference to Morrowind is Fragment 4, which isn't much to work on.

It could have been mixed in to a shipment of books sent to Old Ebonheart by accident, of course; or perhaps an inhabitant of the castle has some personal interest in the catalog. Whatever it is, I do think I'd prefer some sort of context if this is included in the project. Perhaps an additional fragment that could be of interest to Imperials in Morrowind would be the best solution; for example a second era text which appears to reference the ancient temple of Lorkhan that was once located roughly on the site of Old Ebonheart.
Rats
Lead Developer

Post by Rats »

For a seemingly mundane catalogue, this is oddly captivating. I would like to see a *bit* more of these little nods at various people and events that you drop throughout the text. Nothing major. A few more underlined words, vulgar and/or esoteric doodles, or some of those marginal notes transcribed, perhaps.

Agreed with Gnomey that this is something that should really be found only in Old Ebonheart.