Morrowind and Akavir

Place to discuss history, story, character development, questlines for factions and other specifics.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Dormichigan64
Developer
Location: Stop trying to see where I live, you creepy bastard! (Kingston, Ontario)

Morrowind and Akavir

Post by Dormichigan64 »

Yo,

Being Japanese myself, it's quite clear to me that Morrowind shares a few themes and ideas with Japan: ancestor worship, volcanoes, etc.

Obviously, Akavir is the Asia of TES, so the Akaviri must have had some influence on Morrowind as a culture. It would be interesting to discuss the relationships between Morrowind and Akavir that are not military related.

Maybe this isn't the best place to post this...
"When life gives you lemonade, make lemons. And life will be all like 'what??'" - Phil Dunphy's Phil's-osophy

(\_/)
(-.-)
(>_<)
Shhh, bunny be snoozing. lolcatz
NathanJ

Post by NathanJ »

The relationship between those two tamriel and akavir is to my knowledge not very exciting, I mean very little actually happened between them. As you said, the Akaviri (though im not sure which specific nation) tried to invade tamriel a few times.
Also some human species originally comes from akavir (as mentioned in "mysterious akavir"), like the katanas too.
There are no humans or mer on akavir.
It would be really nice if someone would mod akavir too woudn't it? :-)))
Why cant I simply use an Elder scroll to make my Clocks go slower?
Marandahir

Post by Marandahir »

If Morrowind is starting to feel Asiatic, then we're not doing our job to make it weird enough.
NathanJ

Post by NathanJ »

Oh, and with "someone" I didnt mean "someone of us" :p
Why cant I simply use an Elder scroll to make my Clocks go slower?
10Kaziem
Lead Developer

Post by 10Kaziem »

Akaviri influence might well be present, what with the katanas and the "asian" style roofs in Mournhold. I think discussing their influence would be important, but I wouldn't quite know where to start.

After all, invading cultures tend to leave cultural marks on the places they invade, so it's reasonable there'd be something there.
Anonytroll
Website Administrator

Post by Anonytroll »

Asian aesthetics (or at least *some*) are actually High Elven (see, for example, MW's Orc armor which is noted to be identifiably Altmeri in origin).

Akavir up until Oblivion wasn't so painfully blatant Japan and I'd really hope that TR doesn't fall into the comfortable associative traps that image conjures up (up and including "smuge tool Japan" on that map, you know which one).
Dormichigan64
Developer
Location: Stop trying to see where I live, you creepy bastard! (Kingston, Ontario)

Post by Dormichigan64 »

I'm just saying that it made me think of the relations, not that we should expand upon Morrowind's Asianness. I'm just talking about the influence the Akaviri had on Morrowind. We could, I feel, make Morrowind more interesting if we did something with Akavir as to build upon the interactions with and lore related to other TES cultures.
"When life gives you lemonade, make lemons. And life will be all like 'what??'" - Phil Dunphy's Phil's-osophy

(\_/)
(-.-)
(>_<)
Shhh, bunny be snoozing. lolcatz
klep
Lead Developer

Post by klep »

I personally think that, unlike other aspects of Morrowind, any influences of the Akaviri have been left out for a reason. There simply hasn't been enough contact with them for there to be any serious offset on Morrowind, or Tamriel for that matter. Any possible "evidence" of influence of the Akaviri would already be implemented in the culture and not be recognised as Akaviri. Adding Akaviri related stuff to Morrowind would, in my eyes, be adding interesting stuff for the sake of adding interesting stuff. If, however, it would be done anyway, there are still the remaining questions of "What do we really know about the Akaviri?" "What do we really know about the races of the Akaviri which Tamriel has had contact with?". I other words, even if we would add Akaviri influences to Morrowind we wouldnt have the resources to know what they would be.
10Kaziem
Lead Developer

Post by 10Kaziem »

Thinking about it a bit more, I think any influences are going to be secondhand-- consider that the imperials are the ones most influenced by the akaviri, and their culture then leaks a little into Morrowind which they now officially control.