I hear you need help with automation?

In order to implement content in-game, you must be a Developer. This is the place for you to introduce yourself, and apply to become a TR Developer.

Moderator: Lead Developers

Shnatsel

I hear you need help with automation?

Post by Shnatsel »

Hey everyone!

I come here from Reddit upon supersayansega's invitation. I freaked out after somebody spent hours inserting all those <BR>'s in a Morrowind book manually and told them to contact me next time because a really simple one-liner BASH script automates the entire thing (it is literally "sed 's|$|<BR>|' input-file.txt") and then supersayansega told me to stop by Tamriel Rebuilt forums because you could use automation like that.

I normally work with the BASH shell and GNU environment which are native to Linux. I imagine you're all working on Windows, but fortunately the scripting environment has been ported to Windows as well (the port is called cygwin) and there's also an [url=http://www.tutorialspoint.com/execute_bash_online.php]online interpeter[/url] if you don't want to set up a local environment. The system is very flexible and can handle a wide variety of tasks ranging from text and image processing to... well, I've recently built a script that scanned the top million websites in mere 8 hours and that was 6 lines of code plus one more line to run it in parallel as 50 instances. I've also been handling automation required by elementary OS development needs for three years.

So if you are in need of some kind of automation on texts or images or whatever, let me know and I'd be glad to assist. No manual typing of <BR>'s on my watch!
NathanJ

Post by NathanJ »

While I cant speak for the lead devs of this project (who actually decide) id say beyond the <BR> problem the morrowind modding community can use help with the compatibility of mods with each other and with eliminating bugs. In the long run I think there will be the need for that, for combining things like TR with Lyithdonea with Province: Cyrodiil (...) and the various other mods and patches that change something in the game. OpenMW is also worth a look.
So there should be definitely interest in your assistance, from me a "thank you";-)!
Why cant I simply use an Elder scroll to make my Clocks go slower?
Seneca37
Lead Developer

Post by Seneca37 »

Hi Shnatsel!

Thanks for stopping by and offering your services. Very interesting portfolio, and thanks for the info on BASH/cygwin.

One project came to mind while reading your post. Would it be possible to set up a script to grab the latest questions/posts from a variety of sites and post them on our forum?

We've recently lost our PR guy, and need a way to get the questions/posts from all TR's accounts on the various social-media sites and have them posted to our site here. We have accounts on the OpenMW forum, Nexus, Twitter, Reddit, Deviant Art, Great House Fliggerty, Tumblr and Bethesda Forums.

If this sounds like something that would interest you, please let me know.