Local map: Dondril watchtower Indoril-Thirr
Parent: 3-24-Imp
 Faction: Imperial
 Files:
Name Size Last Modified
TR_i3-782-Imp_Ragox_2.esp 27.5 KB Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:17 pm
TR_i3-782-Imp_Ragox_1.esp 26.8 KB Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:17 pm
Description
HIGH PRIORITY - Dondril watchtower, bottom floor (see local map).
Dondril, Craftmer's Hall: Dondril, through its outlying fields, is associated with St. Meris, patron of farmers and labourers. The technical purpose of this interior is that of a workshop used for work relating to farming and labour. Several ideas have been discussed for this (here: http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24562): it could contain a small public shrine to St. Meris, (including one shrine activator), some beds for guards posted to the area, a greenhouse/apothecary area near the three windows, or preferably some combination or all of the above. Most importantly, though, it should reflect its primary purpose as described above. The challenge for the interior modder would be combining those features in a way that looks natural rather than eclectic.
I'd prefer if the claimant avoided adding a basement, though that can be negotiated. A more preferable alternative would be if the interior extended horizontally into the hillside, though I'm not sure if even that is necessary. This interior shouldn't be much larger than its outward appearance would suggest.

Make sure to download the most recent file here: http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24623 for the exterior; located in cell [9, -22].

Note: despite the claim's ID the town is Indoril (not Imperial) and uses the Velothi tileset
Last Edited by Seneca37
(Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:57 pm) Post
Send private message   Reply with quote      
Ragox
Developer
20 Jul 2013

Claiming.

Would contain a very small shrine near the entrance, a 2x2 room with two loft beds for the guards and finally the main hall, which functions as a workshop and apothecary. de_p only.
Post Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:38 am Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
Seneca37
Lead Developer
10 Feb 2014

Granting
In addition to all the other aspects, in the description, that need to be addressed, also try to incorporate that curved wall, by the front door, into the design. The in_velothissmall_pit_02 may be useful.
Post Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:45 am Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
Gnomey
Lead Developer
19 May 2006

Primarily, have fun with this. It's an unusual interior, and I look forward to seeing what you do with it. Smile

"I have nothing to declare except my genius." - Oscar Wilde, border
Post Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:53 pm Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
Ragox
Developer
20 Jul 2013

Production completed.
Gnomey wrote:
Primarily, have fun with this.

Thanks, I definitely had fun doing this Smile
Post Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:58 pm Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
Seneca37
Lead Developer
10 Feb 2014

Need smithing area changed.
Post Fri May 08, 2015 12:49 pm Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
Tes96
Reviewer
06 Sep 2009

seneca37 wrote:
Need smithing area changed.

Are you speaking directly to Ragox to change this file?

"If one is to understand the arcane arts, one must study all its aspects, not just the dogmatic narrow view of the Mages Guild."
Post Fri May 08, 2015 1:51 pm Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
Seneca37
Lead Developer
10 Feb 2014

Yes - If Ragox would like to re-work the smithing area that would be great. Otherwise I'll take care of it myself.
I'll review this interior last.
Post Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:50 am Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
Tes96
Reviewer
06 Sep 2009

seneca37 wrote:
Yes - If Ragox would like to re-work the smithing area that would be great. Otherwise I'll take care of it myself.
I'll review this interior last.

Okay. I've been busy with real life stuff and haven't done any modding-related tasks in months, unfortunately. Sad

"If one is to understand the arcane arts, one must study all its aspects, not just the dogmatic narrow view of the Mages Guild."
Post Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:02 am Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
Yeti
Lead Developer
15 Feb 2009

If it's not too much trouble, would it be possible to have this reviewed sooner than that? I'd like to finish readjusting Dondril's NPCs and dialogue in the near future, and need a finished version of the watchtower to do so.

It's good to see you around again, Tes96. Don't worry about not having time to mod at the moment. That happens to all of us at some point or another.

Post Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:53 am Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
Ragox
Developer
20 Jul 2013

seneca37 wrote:
Otherwise I'll take care of it myself.

It would be great if you could do that seneca.
You know best what kind of change you'd like to see anyways Smile
Post Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:59 pm Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
Yeti
Lead Developer
15 Feb 2009

What changes need to be made to the smithing area exactly? I'd be happy to implement them if Seneca37 is busy at the moment.
Post Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:05 am Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
Seneca37
Lead Developer
10 Feb 2014

Great! Thanks Yeti.
Pull out the smithing area (the fire pit, the tools, armor etc..). Keep the structural elements. Replace with something appropriate for this town. One suggestion being a basket making area. If you can think of something else that might work in here - go for it.
Post Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:07 pm Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
Yeti
Lead Developer
15 Feb 2009

Okay, so remove the smithing area and replace with something appropriate for the village. Sounds good.
Post Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:06 pm Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
Seneca37
Lead Developer
10 Feb 2014

I let progress reporting lapse during the summer.
Just checking that you're still planning on finishing this.
Post Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:57 pm Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
RyanS
Lead Developer
19 Aug 2013

Any progress to report?

A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others. -Ayn Rand
Post Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:56 pm Send private message       Send e-mail       Reply with quote                   up  
Yeti
Lead Developer
15 Feb 2009

Gah! I completely forgot about this! And I was the one pushing for it to be finished... How foolish of me. I'll wrap up work on this by the end of the week. If I don't, may Almalexia herself strike me down where I stand.
Post Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:21 pm Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
RyanS
Lead Developer
19 Aug 2013

Any progress to report?

A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others. -Ayn Rand
Post Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:06 pm Send private message       Send e-mail       Reply with quote                   up  
Yeti
Lead Developer
15 Feb 2009

Apparently, Almalexia isn't the God she's cracked up to be. I'll care of this over the Thanksgiving weekend. If not, you can revoke it.
Post Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:11 pm Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
RyanS
Lead Developer
19 Aug 2013

Since Yeti never actually claimed this interior, and instead just volunteered to fix some small issues, I won't need to revoke it. If anyone is interested in revamping the smith area of this interior, just give a shout and you can have it. Otherwise, I'll make the changes myself if there are no responses within a week or two.

Post Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:54 am Send private message       Send e-mail       Reply with quote                   up  
Ragox
Developer
20 Jul 2013

My idea for the smith in there was that she is mainly providing her services to the Indoril guards who also have a room in the same int, fixing their armors and weapons, but also offering some decent goods she makes when she's not required by them to any visitors.

So the issue with the smithy was that there is already another smith in the town. So I just had a look around all other ints and found Fothas Vorum's shack and apparently he is a smith who works in there (which is kinda weird IMO). Thing is the door to his shack is locked and he only offers a bunch of iron crap on the market.

I think that Dondril is big and important enough that it should have a proper smithy, especially since it has a rather large Indoril garrison and Vothas Vorum is clearly not suitable for maintaining their armor and weaponry in working order. And it would also make sense for that smith to be located in the same building that the Indoril guards reside in.

So I'd recommend that I make it more clear that she works mainly for the guards by placing some Indoril armor pieces in her working area. She wouldn't offer to sell any, of course. Additionally, she could also mention this in her dialogue.
Post Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:52 am Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
Gnomey
Lead Developer
19 May 2006

Ah, that does explain why the smithy is there, but I'm still not sure whether it should be.

For one thing, Dondril doesn't really have a garrison of Indoril guards; the guards patrolling Dondril are garrisoned at Roa Dyr, the locals simply provide them places to sleep while they are patrolling.
What that means is that stuff like the personal belongings of the guards are mostly kept in Roa Dyr, but also that most of the equipment maintenance and such would also be handled at Roa Dyr, aside from rare field repairs.

As far as Fothus Vorum is concerned, he does have a smithy behind his shack. For an agriculturally-focused village like Dondril, his selection is, if anything, more than adequate, though he should perhaps sell some misc junk like shears as well.

Dondril isn't really big and important, even in terms of Velothi towns. It doesn't have a tradehouse or proper temple for one thing. It's a sizable shack village, but still a shack village. Velothi towns -- at least in Indoril land -- tend to be focused on the production of specific goods or produce -- in Dondril's case, agricultural produce -- which are then shifted around by the tollmer working from the castle-estate which controls the region.
They are not self-sufficient; any goods they do not produce themselves are -- assuming all is running properly -- directed to the village by the tollmer, generally to the village's tradehouse, but as Dondril doesn't have a local tradehouse to the local market. Slaves are naturally one of those goods, and metal tools would typically be another, though Dondril is actually more self-sufficient than most Velothi towns and can produce its tools locally, only requiring shipments of metal ingots to be imported.

All of that being said, I do like the smithy, and even if it isn't strictly necessary it wouldn't be out of place for the locals to go above and beyond to care for the Indoril guards and provide them with a smith while they are on patrol.
My main issue is that the smithy takes away space that could be used to more clearly show Dondril's agricultural focus, for example a basket weaving area. While this interior is largely multi-purpose, at it's core it is the Craftmer's Hall of an agriculturally focused Velothi village, and that focus isn't really clear from looking at the interior, in my opinion.

Post Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:42 pm Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
Ragox
Developer
20 Jul 2013

So we need a basket weaving area in the most important building of the village? By the way, where do they get the reed to make them from? I've never seen any. And where are all the other basket makers in Morrowind? There sure are a lot of baskets around. You try too hard to make things realistic IMO. Environmental storytelling is great, but it should never be put before the gameplay itself. A smithy is something a player can interact with in a useful way at least.
Post Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:57 pm Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
Gnomey
Lead Developer
19 May 2006

Yes, because that's how Velothi villages are. This isn't for realism; I don't think we need to consistently show these sort of details across the province. I think these details are important for establishing the character of Velothi villages.
And it's also important for gameplay; Velothi towns aren't great places to buy and sell stuff. They work with a barter economy, and are generally quite poor; you typically just have a few peddlars with very limited and more often than not useless goods on offer and a tradehouse. If there is a temple, you can get some more useful services there. Velothi villages are essentially hick villages. They create a stark contrast to places like House settlements including the Indoril castle-estates, which often have specialized and skilled laborers, and especially places like Almalexia, which will have a blinding array of goods, many of them quite precious.

This is the exact same principal as the various halls in the St. Delyn and St. Olms cantons of Vivec; Brewers and Fishmongers, Farmers and Laborers, Tailors and Dyers, Tanners and Miners, Potters and Glassworkers. Those don't exist anywhere else on Vvardenfell. Does that mean those activities are only carried out in Vivec? No, that would be silly, because those activities are necessary to support Dunmer society. They are only present in Vivec in-game because they're only worth being shown in Vivec in game.
Those cantons are where most of the non-House affiliated Dunmer live in Vivec, in other words the Velothi.
All of those activities are linked to patron saints: respectively, Seryn and Felms for Brewers and Fishmongers, Meris for Farmers and Laborers, Llothis for Tailors and Dyers, Aralor for Tanners and Miners, Delyn for Potters and Glassmakers.
For the Velothi class, which toil to provide Morrowind with much of its goods and produce, those are not mundane activities. Those are their function and reason to exist in Tribunal society. By weaving baskets or whatever mundane tasks, they're showing devotion to their particular patron saint, to the Tribunal and to Dunmer society as a whole. It's super important.

As for the reeds, I'd use the wickwheat bundles; they presumably use stalks from the plants they grow in the fields.

Post Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:09 pm Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
Yeti
Lead Developer
15 Feb 2009

Yeah, someone else should tackle these changes -- I'll clearly never get around to it. XD

Now if you excuse, I have work on Almas Thirr's Waistworks to do...

Post Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:57 am Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
Ragox
Developer
20 Jul 2013

Done.

I removed the smithy and replaced it with some kind of outfitter.

And there are quite a few baskets too, so I hope you guys are happy Razz
Post Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:56 pm Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  
rot
Lead Developer
21 Oct 2012

transferred at
http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/node/1116
Post Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:16 pm Send private message             Reply with quote                   up  

The content of this site is © by the Tamriel Rebuilt community. Morrowind, its expansions, and its content is © Bethesda Softworks.
Forums powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group