4-26-Hla

After an exterior claim has been cleared by a review, the thread will be moved here. Discussion is still allowed.

Moderator: Lead Developers

Haplo
Lead Developer

4-26-Hla

Post by Haplo »

Claim type: Exterior
Claim ID: TR_4-26-Hla (#163)
Faction: Hlaalu
Claimed by: Haplo
Files: TR_4-26-Hla_Haplo_1.esp

---

Western border of the River Thirr
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Revoked, it sucks.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Adding Indal'Ruhn and vertex shading made this an easy claim.
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Does this need redoing, it's Thirr...
SIGILLVM COMMVNITATIS DE CIVITATE BERGENSI
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

I'd say the final call is yours HoE
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

If it does go up, I'd like to do the small area where the Almas Thirr bridge will end (which is in A2 but a consistency would be nice), similar to how Nemon had A2 cells in 4-13.
Katze
Developer Emeritus

Post by Katze »

I'm sure whoever eventually claims this would be sensible enough to match to your file and make it consistent.
"If a hermaphroditic, bug-armored, bipolar god-king existing in multiple universes who has his very own bible with *actual* magic strewn throughout it is your idea of a cliche, then I really would like to live in your world." -MK

"You say a lot of things. And how does that work? You're a bicycle"

Tea is important.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

It needs matching to the revised Thirr region plan; I'll take care of it after I finish 4-37.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Is this underway? 4-37 was finished ages ago :) .
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Yep, I'll go ahead and move it back to Claimed for the duration.

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Before I upload a WIP with work that might be wasted: Nemon, you didn't use the darker green AI trees in 4-13, right? Sticking only with those light green ones?

Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Haplo wrote:Before I upload a WIP with work that might be wasted: Nemon, you didn't use the darker green AI trees in 4-13, right? Sticking only with those light green ones?
Correct. Only the "two-in-one" light trees... The darker ones are used at the mouth of the river, Old Ebonheart claim and the 4-18 claim.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

First early WIP (Been busy with studies), the northwestern-most cell is almost finished and I've started landscaping the eastern coastline (the cell bordering 4-13).

All cells are named TR_Indal'ruhn at the moment.

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Top 3 cells have all been started, and I changed the under water textures along the eastern border so Aeven stops asking me whether I'm going to be keeping that bit WG or not.

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

What do you think so far, Nemon, on matching your scheme for the area? (Top three cells)

Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Now that's a seamless transition :) . If not for the slightest lanscape openings and my knowledge of 4-13 I wouldn't be able to find the split. Nice as ice as rice.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

New (unclean) file. This one is a modest update; the border to 4-13 is more or less finished, and I've started on the border to 4-11.

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

I've uploaded a new file to help Scamp with 4-11. I'm almost finished with the cells of 4-26 bordering 4-11's eastern edge, I just have to detail one of those cells a bit more.

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Backup file posted; currently looking into the best practices for constructing Dwemer ruins (translation: don't mind what I've got thrown together in the file... it's mostly statics placed in the screen so I can copy and paste with ease).

This claim will contain a largely-sunken ruin (my first!) of modest size (it was a minor outpost of old, I assume) on the banks of the Thirr, moved west a little out of A3 so that Aeven has more freedom to design that area.

And this file contains a little more work elsewhere, as far as getting the cells I've begun work on completed, and removing the dark AI trees and excess mushrooms from the cells I have yet to start on. Finals are mostly over (two left next week) so I should be able to do more work on this in the next several weeks (if it takes that long).

Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Post by Bloodthirsty Crustacean »

Love the idea of a sunken Thirr-side ruin! :)

One thing on roads, Indal-ruhn ought to be connected to the Almas Thirr road in this claim - the little track out north into 4-13 is a dead end. Otherwise this place and Scamp's 4-11 settlement have no road links.

Also, on a region-theming note, it would be nice to see Nemon and Aeven's technique of those 'AI-rock tree-covered plateaus' extend down here, which really define the region out north and east. Maybe extend the floodlands and tributaries of the river a bit too, as in 4-13? (the old Indal'ruhn river seems a bit too neat and linear by comparison)
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals
a man melts the sand so he
can see the world outside

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Bloodthirsty Crustacean wrote:One thing on roads, Indal-ruhn ought to be connected to the Almas Thirr road in this claim - the little track out north into 4-13 is a dead end. Otherwise this place and Scamp's 4-11 settlement have no road links.
I have the road running from Almas Thirr, I'll connect it by a trail to the pathway leading out of Indalruhn.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean wrote:Also, on a region-theming note, it would be nice to see Nemon and Aeven's technique of those 'AI-rock tree-covered plateaus' extend down here, which really define the region out north and east. Maybe extend the floodlands and tributaries of the river a bit too, as in 4-13? (the old Indal'ruhn river seems a bit too neat and linear by comparison)
I'll look into that. Not sure about the plateaus (I don't get along with those cliff pieces very well), but some tributaries are definitely doable, I think.

Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Post by Bloodthirsty Crustacean »

Yeah, I agree with you on the cliffs. Aeven's got a very nice technique for the plateaus just using the chunky rocks and nicely sculpted terrain which works very well in A2. Nemon didn't use cliff pieces in 4-13 either for his hills and plateaus.

Looking over 4-13 again (and holy cow is that claim a masterpiece - Nemon and Aeven have done wonders with the TRV) i think the nicest thing is how the 'default terrain' for the valley is muddy shallow water, with islands and hills strategically raised out of it, rather than a default grassy plain with rivers and pools strategically sunk into it. Really gives the place definition as a fertile 'river valley'.

Sorry, I'm rambling, but i just can't miss an opportunity to enthuse about this region - it's one of TR's (and by extension all of TES3 modding's) best! :)
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals
a man melts the sand so he
can see the world outside

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Also, moar flora_bc_grass01 / 02 around the rocks. And am I the only one who thinks the rocks01 / 03 looks stupid if not sunk enough into the ground?
Scamp
Reviewer

Post by Scamp »

probably not the only one, as the Scamp sinks them much more too
"Scamp you are the wonderboy" - Praedator

[url=http://scamp.blogspot.com/][img]http://i.imgur.com/Ea8ABeM.png[/img][/url]
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Yes, more grass is forthcoming. I try not to leave those rocks too high... while I do utilize them only partially at times by sinking them well below ground, I like to use the whole feature sometimes. It takes up space and looks natural since it's all one mesh.

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Update. Only did a little bit of work, since I hadn't touched this for nearly a month when I started again.

Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

Hey Haplo, judging by [url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/download.php?id=19587]this map[/url], maybe it would make sense to connect that tiny Thirr protrusion to the Indalruhn river? It'd make more sense, and make Indalruhn like a Hlaalu Roa Dyr.
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

As it stands that tiny piece of the Thirr river that begins at Indalruhn doesn't make a whole lot of sense anyway, starting so close to the main river in the same valley, but running south all the way through the Othreleth Woods (if [url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/?image=g/maps/map_mw_full.jpg&p=modding_data/maps]this map[/url] is still accurate) before joining the main river. That's pretty impossible, geographically.

I think the best thing to do would be to connect Indalruhn to the Thirr river in this claim, and make sure the tiny part of the river doesn't cross this claim's southern border. Then a new river can be started somewhere in the Othreleth Woods and connect to the Thirr way down south like on the original map. That'd also allow for the landscape in this claim to look a bit more like the Thirr claims north and east of it, with the small islands and such. Atm they look quite different, even though they're both pretty.

Just my 2cents, feel free to disregard them.
Scamp
Reviewer

Post by Scamp »

I would suggest changing the patch of land east of Indalruhn to a few islands as seen in 4-13, because according to the createmap it looks pretty awkward together with 4-13. Thirr River better be this way everywhere.
Edit: Just noticed this was pretty much what Why suggested, but perhaps it was good that I threw my opinion in, still.
"Scamp you are the wonderboy" - Praedator

[url=http://scamp.blogspot.com/][img]http://i.imgur.com/Ea8ABeM.png[/img][/url]
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Why wrote:As it stands that tiny piece of the Thirr river that begins at Indalruhn doesn't make a whole lot of sense anyway, starting so close to the main river in the same valley, but running south all the way through the Othreleth Woods (if [url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/?image=g/maps/map_mw_full.jpg&p=modding_data/maps]this map[/url] is still accurate) before joining the main river.
That map is kind of not accurate, no Thirr river valley rivers run into the Othreleth Woods. As shown in 4-13 and 4-26, there will be borders between TRV and Othreleth. How far south has not been decided.

BC Edit- just editing in to avoid clutter on a non-important point: that map is accurate in its depiction of the river, so Why's still right; but yes, the region called Gah Othreleth on that map does not correspond to the Othreleth Woods, so the river is not in the Woods.
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

In any case, my point still stands, it's pretty illogical for this stream to run so far south without any kind of true natural border (hills etc) separating it from the main river, and moreso to have a dock at the very beginning of the steam rather than on the main river, which would provide way better access to the rest of the province. Also, what Scamp said.
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

I misunderstood so I guess I agree with both you and Scamp.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

That dock isn't for trade or commerce or anything, it's just a dinky little personal dock. But I do have some work to do on connecting the inlet to the river.

And Nemon, to understand correctly, I am not to follow the river guideline on the TRUMP map, and thus should be diverting this river to flow into the Thirr instead of going out the southern border?

Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Haplo wrote:That dock isn't for trade or commerce or anything, it's just a dinky little personal dock. But I do have some work to do on connecting the inlet to the river.

And Nemon, to understand correctly, I am not to follow the river guideline on the TRUMP map, and thus should be diverting this river to flow into the Thirr instead of going out the southern border?
Can we has both? Both this river going into the Thirr AND having it connected southwards? Since the TRV is going to be lots of interconnecting bodies of water anyway using that in 4-26 would make sense...
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

If this river would connect to the Thirr here ánd continue southwards, doesn't that result in a part of the Thirr running in a circle, since that southwards bit also joins the Thirr? That would be very weird.

Unless I'm looking at the wrong map of course. As always, please ignore me if I'm wrong.
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Well I have lots of "circles" in 4-13, it's part of the thirr concept to have tributaries, lakes, ponds and so on.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Can do.

Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

My concern wasn't that it was a circle, it was that a river needs a flow direction. The ponds and tributaries and whatever in the other claims are totally fine and awesome, however, if this river thingy connects to the Thirr here and still continues south, this is what happens:
[img]http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t141/WhyAreWeFighting/circlewut.png[/img]

On second thought, it can be reasoned that if Haplo just connects this stream to the Thirr here and it is still connected to Lake Coronati southwards, the origial river plan still works, but rather than flowing southward, the smaller part of the river at the west would flow northward alongside the main river. This also gives claimants in the southern parts more freedom in connecting this stream to the main Thirr river and continue the awesomeness that's seen in the northern Thirr claims.

So yeah, ignore me. It's all gonna be fine. :-D
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

The tributaries, ponds, lakes and rivers galore thing is supposed to continue down into map 6 so I wouldn't worry. For all I know, this is how stuff might turn out in a year or so when we hopefully start working on map 6: (just an example)

[url=http://img97.imageshack.us/i/circlewut.png/][img]http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/6136/circlewut.png[/img][/url]
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

That kinda was what I realized while typing my previous post. I should really stop involving myself in matters that don't need my opinion to be awesome.