5-2-Red

After an exterior claim has been cleared by a review, the thread will be moved here. Discussion is still allowed.

Moderator: Lead Developers

Haplo
Lead Developer

5-2-Red

Post by Haplo »

Claim type: Exterior
Claim ID: TR_5-2-Red (#169)
Faction: Redoran
Claimed by: Nemon
Files: TR_5-2-Red_Haplo_1.esp; TR_5-2-Red_Nemon_2.esp

---

Reich Parkeep name to be keeled with fire.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Claim unlocked; look, a city claim!
Katze
Developer Emeritus

Post by Katze »

Now that I've gotten 4-7 out of the way, I'd really like to claim this one. The current plan I have in my head is to have a walled fort atop a large basaltic outcropping, the top of which is inaccessible save for a single bridge leading down to one end of the civilian trader part of the city.

The civilian part extends in a clockwise crescent shape around about a third of the circumference of the outcropping; that should keep the city to about two cells, which seems the sensible number. I'm not entirely sure if the civilian part will be walled as well, it probably will be to allow for one or two seperate "districts". A river or moat may also partially surround the outcropping.

If anyone wants further clarification I can supply a crudely drawn map made in paint =P
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Granting. A map can't hurt. And as for the size, I think Sload said it should be somewhat similar to Kogotel.
Katze
Developer Emeritus

Post by Katze »

Would it be possible to get the claim file for this? I can't use "go to cell" to get to where the city is going to be, and I don't know of any other way to create exterior cells yet.
"If a hermaphroditic, bug-armored, bipolar god-king existing in multiple universes who has his very own bible with *actual* magic strewn throughout it is your idea of a cliche, then I really would like to live in your world." -MK

"You say a lot of things. And how does that work? You're a bicycle"

Tea is important.
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

You know the coordinates right? Click in the object window, press t for top view. Zoom out and just use your arrow keys to maneouver to the correct coordinates. Then rename the cells in your claim so that you'll find them again...
SIGILLVM COMMVNITATIS DE CIVITATE BERGENSI
blackbird
Reviewer

Post by blackbird »

What do you mean with claim file?
You could download the latest map 5 file and cut the necessary cells off.
The location of the city should correspond with the map. At map 5 is the location for RP -24,3.
Katze
Developer Emeritus

Post by Katze »

I've done it now, going to start on sketching out the city, get that finished first, and then split it off for interiors claiming.
"If a hermaphroditic, bug-armored, bipolar god-king existing in multiple universes who has his very own bible with *actual* magic strewn throughout it is your idea of a cliche, then I really would like to live in your world." -MK

Tea is important.
Katze
Developer Emeritus

Post by Katze »

Right, first update. After scrapping my first attempt, and discussing the city with some of the higher-ups last night, Reich Parkeep mkII is coming along pretty well.

I uploaded a WIP so that people could voice their opinions on where this is going. The current idea is that the military fort will be atop the ravine, and built into its stone, with a bridge between the two sides. The peaceful trading town will be down in the bottom of the ravine, having grown up alongside a trade route passing through the area. The entrance to a large Redoran market/bazaar is also built into the cliff face, surrounded by the homes of the artisans and traders living here.

Anyway, until I finish the city, I will only be working on the 4 cells that contain it. Opinions and suggestions are always welcome.

Tea is important.
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

It looks exiting, just remember to keep up the pace whenever you are inspired :) . Also, try yo cover up as much as possible of the TR_terr_WG_Cliff_02-surface, the top of it looks a bit low res compared to normal flat surfaces...
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

I already advised him to scale it to .5. In my experience that takes care of the low-res-ness.
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
blackbird
Reviewer

Post by blackbird »

I agree that it looks fine.
If you wanted and if the core agrees, you could the cells off which you need of the map5 file (by deleting every cell you don't need and change the name of course) and merge it with your city and the cells you've done so far. You could also start your claim from scratch.
The 'forest' or swapms around don't look bad, but I don't know what region it will be and which kinds of rocks, flora and trees should be used.
Katze
Developer Emeritus

Post by Katze »

I'll be making the whole claim from scratch. The old Reich Parkeep was terrible, and was in the centre of a swampy area, whereas my interpretation was that it was at the border of a mountainous area and the swamp.

The city is on the southern border of my claim, and pretty much everything north of it will be mountainous, I imagine.

Tea is important.
blackbird
Reviewer

Post by blackbird »

I forgot to say that the velothi mountains are also on your claim at the west.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Post by Bloodthirsty Crustacean »

Looks sweet. :)

With the cliffs, the issue of textures was fixed by Worsas, so they look just fine now. The issue is the fact that they don't look very 'natural' on top, because they're so flat and cannot be vertex shaded.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals
a man melts the sand so he
can see the world outside

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Katze
Developer Emeritus

Post by Katze »

I came up with this idea for fortified-looking watchtower balconies, to form the primary exterior of the fort (the majority of the fort will be inside the rock of the cliff, it's really hard to make imposing redoran fortifications that don't look like horrible boxy messes)
Attachments
RPbalcony.png

Tea is important.
RelinQ

Post by RelinQ »

Thats a very strange coinsidence you thought of that Idea Cath because I've been doing the same with a velothi entrance on the side of a river cliff :P

I took a look at your screenshot & I like the Idea, (I realise its just a start) but I am not too keen about your choice for using that interior piece outside. See if you can find an alternative entrance.

I just thought of something, some of those ex_redwall_b pieces could be used as balcony prop ups as well as spikes along the tops of walls, which could making an impossing look?

Eitherway Looking foward to seeing a WIP. :)
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

RelinQ wrote:I took a look at your screenshot & I like the Idea, (I realise its just a start) but I am not too keen about your choice for using that interior piece outside. See if you can find an alternative entrance.
We have an entire city built like this (Kartur) It is perfectly fine. You can make suggestions, but don't tell anyone to do anything.
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
Katze
Developer Emeritus

Post by Katze »

New WIP. The missing files are MA cliffs Aeven made, find them in the TR Data thread, I'll change the file paths as and if they get added to TR_Data.

Added various bits to the town, started detailing the ashlands behind, lots and lots of rocks, etc.

Tea is important.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Cathartis wrote:I'll change the file paths as and if they get added to TR_Data.
You shouldn't have to; that's why I told you which folder to put them in.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Katze
Developer Emeritus

Post by Katze »

I can't remember what time on irc you told me them, and I didn't fancy leafing through several days worth of logs, could you state them on the thread please?

Tea is important.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Meshes\TR\x

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

How are you coming along, C? Any new stuff to show?
Katze
Developer Emeritus

Post by Katze »

Frig, it's been that long since I updated? Sorry, been really busy with work and the like recently, haven't really had much modding time, and what I did have I spent on stuff like the Necrom catacombs (map 2, slightly higher priority man :p)

I'll get something done this weekend or Monday, promise!

Tea is important.
Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

Map 3*
"Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse considerations have diverse names."

"How dare you question the colonnade!" - one of the Glorious Leaders

"Nemon + IKEA = creationism" - some guy

"The layout is awesome, the scale is awesome, the whole city is just awesome!" - Tyrion on Blacklight, circa 2007
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

im pretty sure my catacomb claim is prefaced "i2" and necrom looks like its [url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/?p=forum/showmap&map=2]on the map[/url], maybe youre thinking of a different necrom?
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

Ok, "Olde Map 2" if you like. I meant the map they are currently being released with, not the map they were initially a part of.
"Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse considerations have diverse names."

"The layout is awesome, the scale is awesome, the whole city is just awesome!" - Tyrion on Blacklight, circa 2007
Katze
Developer Emeritus

Post by Katze »

Necrom is being released with Sacred East, seems you're a bit slow keeping up with the news, Tyrion!

Numbered map releases will likely not be seen again by the public.

Tea is important.
Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

They're still numbered in my mind D: its how I keep track of all these new-fangled naming conventions you kids come up with!

I swear, in my day it was so much simpler. We were fighting the commies and our maps were numbered.

I actually totally forgot... hehe. I know they have names, but I just kept calling them map2,3,4,etc. to myself. My apologies to all concerned.

Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

Does that mean Tear is on the same map as Rihad? Boy I'm confused!
Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

No, its on the same map as the border forts which got their own map7 unless that map was merged with map 8 which means then yes it is only that means rihad was map 7 but it was always listed in claims as map 8 so it would have to be part of the border forts map thing.

Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Post by Bloodthirsty Crustacean »

Except that Dres is the 8th release we'll be making for Morrowind. Now, this sparring is a bit tiring. Can we perhaps take a break and leave Cathartis to make his city?
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals
a man melts the sand so he
can see the world outside

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

Yes, sorry about this distraction, I just hate people who show off how much they know when they're completely wrong.

EDIT: And a last point of fact, not only are there 8 Morrowind releases, the border forts were Map 9; Stirk was Map 7.
Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

Yes, I got carried away and didn't think before posting.

Really sorry about that guys, it was out of line.

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Oops!

This needs an update today, Cathartis. (Plus TF wants this approved so he can add RP interiors)

Katze
Developer Emeritus

Post by Katze »

Updated! Started adding a nice ravine system to the mountainous region east of the town. I still need to update the file paths on those cliffs, I'll get around to it eventually, when I have time to look through logs of what you said about the correct file path and filename corrections, etc.

Tea is important.
Andres Indoril
Senior Developer

Post by Andres Indoril »

If you clean the cliffs out of your file, the CS should load them from TR_Data, try that (but save the clean file as another file just in case :P).
[url=http://andresindoril.blogspot.com/][img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/Andres_Indoril/siggyleft.jpg[/img][/url][url=http://www.youtube.com/user/AndresIndoril][img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/Andres_Indoril/siggyright.jpg[/img][/url]
"You guys are no fun, I'll start my own TR with dead children and toy guars!" -Why
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Cathartis wrote:Updated! Started adding a nice ravine system to the mountainous region east of the town. I still need to update the file paths on those cliffs, I'll get around to it eventually, when I have time to look through logs of what you said about the correct file path and filename corrections, etc.
I think I posted that information on the forum after repeated request

Katze
Developer Emeritus

Post by Katze »

Ah yeah, I see it now. Nevermind.

Tea is important.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Awesome. Can't wait for us to be done with Ashlands, they're starting to wear out the team