5-2-Red

After an exterior claim has been cleared by a review, the thread will be moved here. Discussion is still allowed.

Moderator: Lead Developers

Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Update, please.

Edit Nov 1st; PM sent to modder.
SIGILLVM COMMVNITATIS DE CIVITATE BERGENSI
alex25
Developer

Post by alex25 »

Updated! Sorry it took so long I haven't been around lately. I should finish this either this week or the next one.
Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

whoa progress!
"Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse considerations have diverse names."

"How dare you question the colonnade!" - one of the Glorious Leaders

"Nemon + IKEA = creationism" - some guy

"The layout is awesome, the scale is awesome, the whole city is just awesome!" - Tyrion on Blacklight, circa 2007
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Well, I guess last week went by. Do you have any WIP or screenshots for us? I'm hoping to see the little town fleshed out.
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Please update status.
Edit Nov 22nd; PM sent to modder.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

His last file was November 2nd, so he has until next Thursday to update again.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Hi alex25. This needs to be updated as soon as possible. Also, could you please include a quite small volcano somewhere? (to explain the pocket of ashlands here)

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

alex25
Developer

Post by alex25 »

Updated. This claim is mainly done with the exception of the southern cells that need the ash swamp models and some road detailing that I'm realy too tired of this area to do. Please revoke for now since without the ash swamp bits there isn't much that I can do.
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

revoked by request
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Velothi Mountains. See 5-15 for inspiration.
Please download map 5 height map here and work from that:

http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=19347
Note that cleaning irrelevant cells may create land tears, so backup your work regularly and often.

See this picture for regional borders, roads and rivers.

[url=http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/2835/mwmap5.jpg][img]http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/2835/mwmap5.th.jpg[/img][/url]
Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

Ok, after a long time I will give it a try. First I will submit my concept of RP for approval.
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Heh, thanks for reminding me to update the description of this claim. Reich Parkeep is a name we've decided to kill with fire, so call your town lolsexycat or whatever for now.

If you want to scrap the original concept of lolsexycat (which is in the height map file you must download to work from) then feel free to do so.

Remember to border match with 5-25, Scamp's claim.
Also, the VM region has been snowified in recent time, as well as raised in terms of landscape. Your claim will be consisting of much snow + BM statics, for the lowest parts you can use RM statics (see 4-16 for flora reference on "low" areas, 5-15 for reference on "high" areas).

Phew, lots of words. Questions?
Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

I have downloaded the heightmap and started to work on this claim. I will check surrounding claims for textures and statics. I greatly prefer BM statics to RM. I will also use the cliffs that surround hill bastion in Firewatch - they blend with BM statics quite well.

I will keep some of the original towns design, but I intend to stretch if over 4 cells. To stretch does not mean to enlarge... The town will be more fortress like now. There will be several layers of walls, guardposts and bridges with occasional huts inside them and smaller townlike enclave with market, approximately in the style already used.

I can work on this only time to time, but I will try to update regularly.
THEO
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Please keep lolsexycat within two cells, except you may have non buildings outside cell boundaries (like parts of walls, foundations etc). We do not have much space available in map 5, so large settlements will look weird both in game and on the world map. Remember that Kogo'Tel and Baan Malur is roughly 2 and 3/4 cells respectively, and they are supposed to be way larger than lolsexycat.

Also, and this is important: This is a mountaneous region, with somewhat harsh weather conditions. Try not to have this town too exposed to the elements, but rather use natural elements as part of the fortification (i.e unscalable hills/cliffs). The original "bowl" concept was ok enough.

We're looking forward to seeing your proposal however, any good stuff is accepted, naturally.
Scamp
Reviewer

Post by Scamp »

Sorry I will try to update 5-25 as soon as possible, but I am working on my detailing claim atm so it shall take some while.

Nemon, are you sure this should use RM statics in the lower parts? I thought 5-2 would consist only of BM stuff as it is north of the Ash Swamp...
"Scamp you are the wonderboy" - Praedator

[url=http://scamp.blogspot.com/][img]http://i.imgur.com/Ea8ABeM.png[/img][/url]
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Yes, for the non snowy parts the RM is still to be used on the southern part of this claim, the area bordering the ash swamp.

On snow, Theo. Since this is bordering the ash swamp, we need to be a little wary of not letting it appear too low. For the southern cells bordering the ash swamp, use snow for heights above 7500. I know we've gone lower in other areas, but this is area is directly bordering the ash swamp and places where we'll be using 0 height and it would look weird to have snow too low here.

For the northern part of your claim, snow is ok further down.
Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

First pictures of the lolsexycat. I mostly kept the design, but added a hill-fort and fixed some buildings. I will now work mainly on the northeasternpart and wait for 5-25 to match the borders.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/WLKOUSZ/TR-Overview.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/WLKOUSZ/TR-GuildHall.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/WLKOUSZ/TR-Guardpost.jpg
THEO
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

I like it, but looking at the Guardpost.jpg picture, how does one get up to the top level on the right side of the picture?

Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

As I said, the layout of the town is mostly taken original. You need to pass through the interior of the thin building to get behind the wal.
I do not know what original modders plans for this were, but as this town was meant to be built over old fortress making the fortified part easily acceptable would not make sense.

The western part I envisage os governors fortress, the lower part as townsfolks and travellers part and the eastern part as house to the merchants and theirs guild.
THEO
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

You're close to the one month mark now, please update status.
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Hi, one month mark passed. Update please.
Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

Not much progress, I have finished the town layout, matched terrain with neighbouring claims and raised it and am currently starting to shape out terrain in detail and draw textures. Please comment.
THEO
Katze
Developer Emeritus

Post by Katze »

This file shouldn't be dependant upon TR_Mainland, please use TESDTK to remove the dependancy.

Also, is this region supposed to be snowy? I was under the impression that this region was a little low-lying to have snow. I'll look around for relevant threads and get back to you on that.
"If a hermaphroditic, bug-armored, bipolar god-king existing in multiple universes who has his very own bible with *actual* magic strewn throughout it is your idea of a cliche, then I really would like to live in your world." -MK

"You say a lot of things. And how does that work? You're a bicycle"

Tea is important.
Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

It shouldnt be that snowy due to the claim description, but bordering claim to the west suggest there should be snow even here. That is why I am asking for approval before moving to detailing stage.
THEO
Scamp
Reviewer

Post by Scamp »

Okay, just trying to clarify this now.

Theo, your claim is at a completely different height, sorry to say this. The fact that I was using snow in 5-25 was only because my claim is all higher than 7000 (which is about the height where you are allowed to start using snow) and does not immediately mean your entire claim needs to be covered in snow, please keep in mind your claim is bordering the Ash Swamp, which should be far away from snow, actually.
My excuses if this sounded a bit harsh, isn't meant to :wink:

Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

How come? I left intentionally the bordering cells with your claim in the file for comparison and they are all snowy and you can see that there are really few areas lower than 7000 in my claim. For me it is not problem to change most of the parts to the ash to the south and probably to the east too, but than you should probably do the same as your claim borders with the ash swamp too.

EDIT: Well, it does not that much in fact, but neither does mine, the border of ash swamp does not enter my claim.
THEO
Scamp
Reviewer

Post by Scamp »

Hmm. The areas bordering my claim should be snowy, yes.

Areas in the east should not have snow I think, that's what we all meant. Snow near the border is perfectly fine.
@Edit: I did not say your claim contains any Ash Swamp, but it borders the Ash Swamp. Mine does not :D

Also, with the blessings of Thrignar Fraxix, I shall tell you that you bleeding redoran houses into each other making new, larger buildings ([url=http://img808.imageshack.us/img808/6585/rarg.jpg]like that[/url]) is not really appropriate as it looks a bit awkward and can barely be properly interiorized. (Sorry for bringing this up now)

Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Comments:

- Do not use stairs for main roads, there are supposed to be caravans and guar carts travelling these areas, so no steps. I know the game engine makes these things highly unlikely to actually be included in our mod but still it's supposed to look like it could be pulled off.

- No bleeding one redoran house into another, as it is very hard to make interiors for it, as mentioned by Scamp.

- The road network has an extreme amount of straight lines. This needs to be made curvier. The detailing is also important, see 5-15 for gospel on that.

- The RM textures south of lolsexycat is ok, make sure to use mostly rm stuff as this gets closer to ash swamp areas.

- No snow below 7000, which mostly applies to the eastern part of your claim.

- Also, look at these two screens.
[url=http://img690.imageshack.us/i/heightmapm.jpg/][img]http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/7227/heightmapm.th.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=http://img25.imageshack.us/i/bumps.jpg/][img]http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/4690/bumps.th.jpg[/img][/url]

The reason I made the heightmap was to avoid the vanilla bumpy mountains, and to have some consistency in the way the mountains look. Please fix that.

As mentioned earlier, see 4-16 for flora reference on "low" areas, 5-15 for reference on "high" areas. The minimum snow height might be different between 4-16 and this claim but 7000 applies here.
Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

Well, seeing how much amount of work would have to be redone and with the amount of free time I have, it will be better if this is revoked.
THEO
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

revoked by request
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

The previous file at the top was a bit dirty, so I cleaned it and modified a few things so that it will be better for a new claimer to use. However, please note that if you use this file, much of the claim needs to be redone to match closer the heightmap Nemon provided.

alex25
Developer

Post by alex25 »

Claiming this again. This will follow the heightmap Nemon provided, with the town being raised slightly and snowyfied with the RM bit starting just south of it to make things look natural. I also want to add an old Velothi style temple or monastery near the town (mainly because this is a religious Redoran settlement and the temple would further increase the idea of old/new fortress). I'll also get rid of those stairs that lie in the middle of the road and deal with the bleeding redoran buildings.
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Ok, granted, on these conditions:
- Make sure you download all relevant finished exterior claims before even starting to work here. We won't be doing exterior detailing claims for map 5 and it's the claimer's responsibility to make sure the area is consistent with its surroundings. ESPECIALLY roads need much detail, AND the proper "sunkage" (because people/carts use it) as well.
- Your update rate on your previous claims has been unsatisfying, I expect you to update when we ask for it.
- Regarding snow, make sure you match it with the western claim first.
- Drop the temple thing, we have one in Kogotel which is just a few cells south. A shrine or something is okay though.
- Please not that the heightmap has not been cleaned for unusable statics. Delete the RM rocks and replace them with BM rocks instead (use the vanilla BM ones since ours have this uglu green hue). Same applies to ground textures, see Scamp's claim 5-25 for reference.
alex25
Developer

Post by alex25 »

Update. Most of the work was done in changing the town layout and actually building it and in matching the terrain with claims 5-25 and 5-23.
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

See the attached screenshot. The ash swamp border has been moved into my claim for consistency's sake, matching with Scamp's claim west of it. Also, no RM rock textures to be used in your claim, use the Tx_BM_rock_02 instead of it. Snow where applicable of course!

Also, make sure to read the vertex shading thread in internal discussion.
Attachments
Achtung.jpg
NB!
(270.54 KiB) Downloaded 133 times
alex25
Developer

Post by alex25 »

Seen this and will bordermatch appropriately. I'm using snow above heights of 7500.
Scamp
Reviewer

Post by Scamp »

If you "bordermatch appropriately" please keep in mind I am already having snow statics at heights below 6900 in 5-25. Thanks.

Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Also: The NORTH part of 5-2 needs to be colder in terms of climate. Which means we're lowering the snow height as we get further north.

As in 5-16, I believe a snow height limit of 6000 should be correct for the north part, and around 6700-6900 south as per Scamp's claim.
alex25
Developer

Post by alex25 »

New WIP. Not a lot of things done since I had to scrape the RM bit and then ran into some land tears but I've managed to build the bridge (that still needs some detailing) and pretty much everything innovative so I expect things to go on much faster.
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Any updates of recent progress?