Swiftoak
Developer Emeritus

5-8-Red

Post by Swiftoak »

Claim type: Exterior
Claim ID: TR_5-8-Red (#175)
Faction: Redoran
Claimed by: Parted User
Files: TR_5-8-Red_Melchior Dahrk_1.esp; TR_5-8-Red_Melchior Dahrk_2.esp; TR_5-8-Red_Swiftoak Woodwarrior_1.esp

---

Uld Vraech, wilderness

Please download the merged map 5, meshes and textures found here: http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=19347 - and work from the esp. Smooth/fix and change landscape if necessary, preferrably not so much at claim borders.

Note that cleaning irrelevant cells may create land tears, so backup your work regularly and often. It is advisable to keep neighboring claim cells while working on your claim IF they are in a acceptable finished state, as to keep static/texture/style consistency in our work. If in doubt, look to earlier finished claims for reference.

The program TESAME is ok for cleaning.

5-8 includes the velothi (snow covered) village strangely named "tba" so far. Their main trade is the silver mine. Remember to detail the road part heavily, and the rest of the claim should be snowy and generally cold and uninviting.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

The claim does not match the map; there's supposed to be a little thing called some snow here... also poorly detailed and overall not TR quality. It's also missing the ice-surrounded stronghold that's supposed to be in (-31,21). That could be a barbarian (Nord) filled fort isolated from Skyrim and thinking they're at war with Morrowind. This could be the source of some of the Nords on Solstheim.
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

The Nords on Solstheim are natives of the island, and have lived there for aaaaaages. It wouldn't make sense to have it they came from here.

Unless you mean Fort Frostmoth and the colony.
<insert witty signature here. i might spend time trying to come up with something, but its not like anybody reads these anyway>
blackbird
Reviewer

Post by blackbird »

Perhaps a fort as a base for the future attacks of the Nords. You know, when the oblivion crisis starts to appear.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Well at first I was going to say it was left over from when the nine holds invaded Morrowind but I think that was a long time ago and I think those Nords would all be dead now anyway. And I don't mean the Skaal or those, I meant some of the Nords at the fort or in the Mead Hall that visit. Example: the dialogue there could mention the renowned mead at the mead hall on the island.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

(
blackbird wrote:Perhaps a fort as a base for the future attacks of the Nords. You know, when the oblivion crisis starts to appear.
I recall a recent attack from the Nords, it was SK Brann in Bruges he he...)

What is the level of Nord presence up here anyway? It's close to Skyrim all right, so is it like Dagon Fel but even more Nord?
SIGILLVM COMMVNITATIS DE CIVITATE BERGENSI
blackbird
Reviewer

Post by blackbird »

(But Bruges attacked also Brann Bergen? in Norway).
Perhaps that fort isn't occupied by Nords yet. I don't think that Dunmer will accept some Nord town in MW althoughm Dagon fell is an exception.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Well it is a fort, rather than a town. And it's a very icy/cold region, so Nords would be much better suited than Dunmer.

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

Haplo wrote:Example: the dialogue there could mention the renowned mead at the mead hall on the island.
I completely agree that we should integrate Bloodmoon in the most logical way, because we've got to reduce the "a big snowy island appeared overnight" factor that Bloodmoon initially had. (But I suppose I should be grateful that Bethesda used rumors rather than having a messagebox telling you that your character inherited an island from some deceased parent you never heard about.)

However, dialogue claiming is for much later. Right now, it's irrelevant. I suppose at most this means it's possible to use some Solstheim architecture here and there -- maybe unscripted, static versions of the activators used to make the Raven Rock colony?
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Post by Bloodthirsty Crustacean »

Gez wrote:(But I suppose I should be grateful that Bethesda used rumors rather than having a messagebox telling you that your character inherited an island from some deceased parent you never heard about.)
Heh heh heh. I lol-ed. :P
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals
a man melts the sand so he
can see the world outside

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

I like the idea of using the Raven Rock colony pieces. It'll be a nice, legitimate, and lore-friendly use for them. Something I don't think the MW community has seen much of, for some reason.

Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

Just watch out with the meshes. I saw tons of errors in a single interior shell, and I have hardly any experience with modelling... :?
Last edited by Gnomey on Sat May 10, 2008 3:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

Which meshes? The colony ones?
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Extreeemely tempting...
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

Gez wrote:Which meshes? The colony ones?
Yes. I could be wrong but they were quite glaring, so I don't see how I could be. For example, the roof of one interior shell bled through to the tower, so that it looked a bit like this when looking up to the roof:

Code: Select all

___
 / \ \
|   | |< The outer ring is the tower
 \_/_/
   ^
This is around where the main building's roof ends
Then again, it was a while since I had Bloodmoon installed. (I had to uninstall it because, unlike my version of Tribunal and Morrowind, it was the German version. A disadvantage of moving to Germany).

Edit: As a note, the roof was only visible when looking up and was 2d, so it was obviously not meant to be visible there.
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

Gnomey wrote:Yes. I could be wrong but they were quite glaring, so I don't see how I could be. For example, the roof of one interior shell bled through to the tower, so that it looked a bit like this when looking up to the roof:
That's Beth's problem. I don't think we should care, if they're good enough for Beth, they're good enough for us. There are plenty of small mesh errors that are not obvious until you know where to look (for example, every in_c interior that uses a stairway has holes, every single one). Have you checked to see if it wasn't fixed by [url=http://www.etherealsoftware.com.au/patch/]this[/url] anyway? It fixes a lot of mesh errors.

Hey, if you play Oblivion, go buy Arborwatch in Chorrol, go to the master's suite, and jump in front of the door there. Awful, isn't it?
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

As only my brother's computer can play Oblivion I am not able to play it too much, but then again I probably will not want to see the error anyway. :wink:

Anyway, I guess you're right. Though not quite perfect the buildings certainly looked nice, and were fun to play with. (Actually, the unevenness of the Thirsk floor was another thing that got on my nerves, but that wasn't an error).
Neoptolemus
Developer

Post by Neoptolemus »

Can I take this one? :)

8 cells should be a good little claim to start me off. Could I use Dongle's Nordic buildings and Nomad's wooden palisade walls for the outpost? They really are excellent quality, and this is probably the only excuse we'll get to put them in TR. ;)

I can post some screens if you don't know what I'm talking about.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Well first you have to click the 'claim' button (it's green) in the top right-hand corner of the thread. Also, on these objects; download TR_Data if you haven't (TR_Data is for Morrowind; TR_OoT_Main is for Oblivion), because I'm pretty sure we already have some palisades in there. Can you post a link to these buildings of Dongles'?

Neoptolemus
Developer

Post by Neoptolemus »

Just had a look at the file. Only needs a bit of detailing/smoothing/vertex shading, plus the fort. The river mouth is hideous too.

Dongle's site has been removed unfortunately, but I've got his meshes on my HD. I'll post some screens. And the file, if you want it.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Remember that there needs to be snow here. Also that you can use unscripted versions of Raven Rock colony pieces for the fort. Make them new IDs, with a prefix of TR_5-8. I'm waiting to see the screenshots/file of the Dongle meshes before granting.

Neoptolemus
Developer

Post by Neoptolemus »

Here you go:

[img]http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/7356/nordhall1oh9.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/46/nordhall2sd3.jpg[/img]

From Ald-Vendras. For some reason they've used common doors and windows instead of the nordic ones that came with the set.

The download for the pack is here:
http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=Mods.Detail&id=7060&id=3337

Oh and there are no palisades in OOT (that I can find). I meant these ones:
http://www.elricm.com/nuke/html/modules.php?op=modload&name=Downloads&file=index&req=viewdownloaddetails&lid=877
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Does that pack come with interior meshes?

Anyway, I really would rather you use Raven Rock meshes, as TR_Data has generally been at the stage of only-add-stuff-if-we-cant-do-without-it for a while, and we'd like to keep the size down, and as TR-unique as possible (what I mean is, we don't have a phobia of using materials from other mods, but permissions are just not a fun thing to deal with, and there are plenty of Nordic meshes ingame already, due to Solstheim). So if you think you can pull off the Nord-inhabited fort without these meshes (look at Dondril, map 3 for palisade usage... doing what was done with Dondril is not recommended unless really necessary), then say the word!

Neoptolemus
Developer

Post by Neoptolemus »

Fair enough. The Raven Rock meshes are better quality than these ones anyway.

I would like to use the palisade (which are a modders' resource btw - no permissions needed), but if you really don't want them I'll make do. ;)
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

IMO you could make a better looking palisade using the same style as dondril on map 3 than with the palisade in that resource pack.
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
Neoptolemus
Developer

Post by Neoptolemus »

Sweet. I'll go download Map 3 and have a look then.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Granted

Enjoy :-)
Neoptolemus
Developer

Post by Neoptolemus »

Okay... how about something like this for the fort:

(ignore the landscaping btw)

[img]http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/9027/screenshot137th2.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/7128/screenshot138rz7.jpg[/img]
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Post by Bloodthirsty Crustacean »

Looks schweet to me. :)
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals
a man melts the sand so he
can see the world outside

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
kebra
Developer

Post by kebra »

To me too.
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

THAT'S ALOT OF NUTS!!!!

It looks good to me to, so right now you've pleased three of us in a row...

Side note: The old version of this claim included some of the most detailed cells in the whole of TR, if ref count is anyting to measure detailness with. 8-900 pieces of grass all spread out and "f"-ed into the ground. It looked really bad of course, but it raised the reference average count :)
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

Haplo wrote:Does that pack come with interior meshes?
By the way, I have dongle's houses and they do have matching interiors. (And he gives permission in the readme). As I said earlier, though, I like seeing the Bloodmoon meshes put to good use. :D (Though to play Map 5 I'll have to redownload Bloodmoon, which due to the errors I mentioned earlier will not be very fun...)
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Hey, you still around Neop?

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Revoked. Neoptolemus is unreachable and has not posted progress in months.
Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

Claimy?

Where is ze .esp?
"Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse considerations have diverse names."

"How dare you question the colonnade!" - one of the Glorious Leaders

"Nemon + IKEA = creationism" - some guy

"The layout is awesome, the scale is awesome, the whole city is just awesome!" - Tyrion on Blacklight, circa 2007
Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

Mixture of higher latitude Nordic climate features and terrain and west gash is it? The Nord outpost mentioned if it isn't already done. If it isn't or if it needs changes those will be made accordingly.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Granting. There's no WIP file. You can take the cells in the current Map 5 file to start from, or start from scratch if you like.
Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

I'll use the cells that are already there. I'll dust off my map5 .esp :)
"Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse considerations have diverse names."

"The layout is awesome, the scale is awesome, the whole city is just awesome!" - Tyrion on Blacklight, circa 2007
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Way past progress-check time. How's this going, Tyrion?

Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

I've been working on Taneth most of the time, I've barely even touched this yet, sorry.

I won't be able to do two exteriors. Revoke this please. If I finish Taneth and this is still around I'll pick it up then.