6-3-Dre

Moderator: Lead Developers

kebra
Developer

Post by kebra »

There is one in the 6-19, not so far, but not close too.
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

Foreign quarter. I figured since Dres Society is so stratified that they would put all of the non Dunmer things in one place.

Numbered buildings are:
1: Small office where you can get hospitality papers
2: Fighter's Guild
3, 4, 5: Small poor houses
6: Guard Tower
7: Inn
8: Mages Guild

Theives guild, since it operates under the radar, will be located in the seedy area of the town.
Attachments
Silnim Dale 8.JPG
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
Jedak
Developer

Post by Jedak »

That seems pretty spacious for a foreign quarter when thinking of the Dres. I'd think that It would be pretty cramped :P
Macar: At last, I have a coleague to work with.

Lady N: Jedak-of-all-trades
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

The Dres are master merchants, even if xenophobic. Their capital, Tear, is the biggest trading city in Morrowind (Almalexia isn't so much a trade centre, and the Hlaalu don't rival their money skills). They know better than to ditch foreign merchants and so forth in slum-like conditions.
<insert witty signature here. i might spend time trying to come up with something, but its not like anybody reads these anyway>
blackbird
Reviewer

Post by blackbird »

I thought that the dres were more an agricultural society who relied on slaves.
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

They trade with the Sload. The Sload.

TIL has a book somewhere mentioning Tear as a trade centre. They still make most of their money from Saltrice, but growing it is pointless if nobody wants to go and buy it.
<insert witty signature here. i might spend time trying to come up with something, but its not like anybody reads these anyway>
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

I was thinking of adding a planter or two to the middle of the road. Just because they put all the outsiders in one place doesn't necessarily mean its a slum, they are simply there because they would be taxed even heavier if they lived/worked anywhere else.

The way I see it, the Dres are a tad xenophobic, but are excellent traders and are always looking to make money. They charge outsiders exorbitant amounts to live anywhere in the city other than the foreign quarter, where the taxes are merely back breaking. They make the area look reasonably nice though as to make the price of living in the city seem less painful. The non-Dunmer travelers that come through are forced to buy relatively inexpensive hospitality papers akin to those sold by the Telvanni, or to stay in the relatively merchant free foreign quarter. The lower and middle class citizens live below the plaza, and the upper class live on or above it. (exception being the silt strider port, however I am considering revamping that as this is a fairly well traveled port, so unlike many other places the strider dude might not be poor.) I am considering expanding the plaza which I now realize I have yet to post a screenshot of. Finally, there will be no imperial fort in this area due to the Dres' personality. There will be one non-Dunmer living outside the foreign quarter, a highly successful merchant with ties to the thieves guild and the counselor.
Reviewing Administrator

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
Jedak
Developer

Post by Jedak »

I always thought that the Hlaalu were the traders of the dunmer and the Dres were the more anti-imperial-more-traditional-slave-loving-agricultural peoples. Thats how the game brought it out on me

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Well Hlaalu is a merchant and commerce house, and as such has a monopoly on it, but Dres trades with a different type of customers... Dres does business with the Sload, you know! They have a corner of the darker, less vibrant market.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

I see the dres as solidly self serving, trading and dealing where the money is best, regardless of imperial law. They will extort as much as they can from the imperial citizens living among them, and tolerate their presence solely because of this income. They do have a solid agricultural base, but in a bad year, their other various businesses will keep them from starving.

Sidenote: I firmly believe that the player should not be able to get above a low level in house dres unless they are dunmer.
Reviewing Administrator

Fun is bad - Haplo
Jedak
Developer

Post by Jedak »

That would mean that we'd have to have a non-dunmer faction to make the roleplay fair

Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

that depends on whether we choose fairness or realism. I would tend to support realism. besides, by the time we get to map 6 quests there will be so many other factions for the player to join that making one dunmer exclusive would only close off a comparatively low number of quests.

Screenshot of the mostly finished plaza (as requested by Haplo):
1: Large apartment/trade hall/workshop thing. Home to a few traders who work in the building including the guy from #2.
2: Dude selling armor and weapons, made by a guy in #1.
3: Small Food Store. Lives in basement
4: Upscale Tavern with VERY expensive rooms for non-dunmer, less expensive for non-dres dunmer, regular rate for a dres dunmer. Owner stays in a private room
5: Bakery Restaurant type thing. Owner lives in basement.
6: Alchemist. Owner lives in tower
7: Fine Clothier. Large store built into mountain. Lives in and gets merchandise from #1
8: General all purpose trader. Lives in the building.
9: Future site of more on the plaza traders like #2 who live in #1.

I'm not sure what other flora to put in the planter. I put trama root and scathecraw in the ones in the foreign quarter.
Attachments
Silnim Dale 9.JPG
Reviewing Administrator

Fun is bad - Haplo
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

[url=http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b94/ThrignarFraxix/SilnimDale10.jpg]new update, I wish haplo had posted here instead of just commenting via IRC so I wouldn't have to double post. Anyway, this text is a link to a new screenshot. I am getting more to the point of the city where 90% of the new buildings are just single residences. Trying to keep it interesting though.[/url]
Reviewing Administrator

Fun is bad - Haplo
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

It looks good so far (it's not really a double post if there's a time period of two days between it, and both posts are relevant... :-P)

That area to the left, where you suggest shops perhaps... Is there some kind of entertainment venue you could create there? Whether out of architecture pieces or simply use flora, rocks, and the landscape... I think it would be awesome to have one, kind of how the Romans used to use their Christian slaves as bait for animals in the Coliseum.

And, windows! When will those be added? And lower all three planters so that they are half as high. (The two green rectangle ones to the right, and the brown circular one in the middle. They're too high now)

And as for that manor entrance having another entrance, go for it. It'd be cool.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

You have a Dres claim.

Make sure you add at least one plantation. Saltrice or tobacco. Right now we use paddies for saltrice. If you think that looks good, do it. Its not lore one way or the other, so its your choice.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

yeah, I figured the area across the river would have a few shacks with fields. I could probably add one big one near the northwest edge of the claim. (building, perhaps 2 shacks and a large field)
Reviewing Administrator

Fun is bad - Haplo
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Locked. This belongs to TF, but it's being locked now as it's Map 6 and not being actively worked on at any sort of decent rate. (You can of course still work on it when you like though. TF has first dibs on this when Map 6 claims are re-opened.