4-35-Red

After an exterior claim has been cleared by a review, the thread will be moved here. Discussion is still allowed.

Moderator: Lead Developers

Haplo
Lead Developer

4-35-Red

Post by Haplo »

Claim type: Exterior
Claim ID: TR_4-35-Red (#245)
Faction: Redoran
Claimed by: Scamp
Files: TR_4-35-Red_Haplo_1.esp

---

Velothi Mountains with a side helping of Roth Roryn.

Refer to this image:
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b94/ThrignarFraxix/4-35Lined.jpg

Anything apart from the south east corner should be Velothi mountains. If you don't know what this region is, download map 4 and take a look at the mountains near Kragenmar. The areas in the southeast need to be Roth Roryn Region.
kebra
Developer

Post by kebra »

First claim i do! But i am quite used to exteriors.
Simple:montain area with a little abandoned Redoran settlement who where controling some forgotten mines.
The different houses could be isolated on several peaks connected by rope-bridge (sorry for my english).
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

Hmm, make the settlement 1 mine, 1 Redoran hut, and 2 shacks.

There is one really important thing to remember. This is in the Velothi Mountains, so it is actually the border between Morrowind and the other provinces, which aren't under construction yet. The town needs to have walking access to the road running through a nearby cell. The black line going through your claim on the map provided needs to be represented by really high mountains that the player cannot see past.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

and about those mountains, they should be HUGE. not as big as red mountain, but close. I'd also use the cliff meshes if I were you; big mountains can have som pretty badly stretched textures.
"Crashing the game is an innovative way of alerting the player that they've finished the quest, but I'm not sure that's the kind of innovation we're looking for." - Sload
Kothloth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Kothloth »

big mountains can have som pretty badly stretched textures.
Hell no, I wont accept that. First if all, when it comes to mountain size, do what fit with the surrounding claims, that's your primary goal. Do *not* make mountains that stretch, if you want them big, use large rock models.
Kothloth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Kothloth »

granted, make sure to check your neighboors to get your claim to fit
Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

Kebra, maybe you would like to check this thread:

[url]http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=11493&start=0[/url]
THEO
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

Theo, whenever the City-in-the-Mountain is done, it will be done by Kingfish.
Vernon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vernon »

Thats kind of like the thing about which urinal you should stand at when there are other people in a public toilet, or whether it is ok to jump the queue at the supermarket, or whether it is ok to grunt loudly when lifting weights at the gym - those unwritten rules of society that don't always necessarily apply, just because some people say they do.
welp
Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

Well, this is the last reasonable claim available and coincidentaly also the optimal one where this mining city could possibly be placed.
Also I wanted to point only to general idea, it was not settled yet whether what this structure will in the end be, whether it will be in canyon or eagle-nest form and etc.
So this idea might be used in multiple ways several times in different claims.
If Kingfish will want to do Eagle-nest city, he will surely do it in one of his claims (I think gaining permission from core will not be such problem for him) and it will be as unique as always.
THEO
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

Kingfish has aready put work into designing it, and it takes a modder who has proven his mettle like Kingfish has. Furthermore, this is to far north, in my opinion.
Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

Agreed. I just worried that the idea was abadoned or forgotten.
THEO
Starcrunch
Developer Emeritus

Post by Starcrunch »

But Kingfish has claimed Narsis...and there are no other available claims. Sorry but it really doesn't look possible for Kingfish to do the city in the mountains and this claim is very good for it. In general please don't discourage people from including things in their claims just so someone else can do it later it's really quite unfriendly and discouraging.

-Starcrunch
Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

As I remember there were two major (among others)possibilities of applying the concept suggested in the thread. Canyon mining vilage and larger Eagle nest city.
As Kebra already wanted to include mining site with bridges in his claim the mining concepts might be helpful for him.
Kingfish showed serious interest more in doing eagle nest city, but I do not know whether he is really working on it and where he intends to put it.
I must agree with Sload Lord that if it is so then encouraging others to do the same job would not be very polite.
This really is last available claim, but some other claims still might be revoked or reworked; Including new city of 20-25 houses would probably require some consultations with core anyway so if the concept is not forgoten it still can be applied.
THEO
kebra
Developer

Post by kebra »

ok, i let a bit the discussion take its developpement and now maybe i can give my opinion.
The idea of Kingfish is excellent. Even if, as a first claim for Tamriel i want to do something less ambitious (not to test myself but just to discover and test the tamriel system).
Anyway, if everybody wants to add a canyon city, it's possible by two ways:
I can give the claim to Kingfish or anybody else, there is enought to do. And giving up for a good idea is really not a problem, i have no such pride problems :))
Or, i can do it by myself (if the meshes are ready) with the agreement of everybody.
Last solution: continuing my way of creating a little forgotten settlement. i have started to try the cliffs, and a canyon -not a city canyon- is on the work.
Sorry not to give a complete description but i don't use to be limited, so i have to determine what's possible or not in this space. And with the new meshes i'm discovering.
If i continue, i would like to know if it's possible to add more than three buildings, not to create a big village, just it's more suitable with my project.
Anyway, the place will not be so easy to find by walk.
So, i'm open to all proposal and will not feel desencouraged by any means, because the result which you reached is great enought to shut up my mouth.
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

I guess it works. I'd put it in the middle cell, and make it like 2-4 of the large buildings.
kebra
Developer

Post by kebra »

"I'd put it in the middle cell, and make it like 2-4 of the large buildings."

sorry, not understand exactly..
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

If you go to that thread Theo posted a link to you'll see Kingfish used some meshes. I believe their under ex_v something. These are the large buildings. The middle cell means "-16, 10," the central cell in your claim. This'd be where the canyon and the city would be. The city itself would be largely interior.
kebra
Developer

Post by kebra »

I have actualy no more net,so sorry not to send more.Unfortunatly,it will take a while to recover.If i can't contact please be patient.
So,i have try the canyon city,it's bigger than i expected but i hope it will be accepted.
Here is some pictures,the houses will not stay in that state,just i haven't find the meshes.
Attachments
photokebra.rar
(1.55 MiB) Downloaded 205 times
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Great work!

But one thing - When you have a waterfall travelling downwards, add a mist static where it starts going horizontally again:

------
|
|
|
|V-Here (V means down arrow)
-----------
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
kingfish
Developer Emeritus

Post by kingfish »

hi

could you give us a progress report, please?

kf
by posting useless junk on these forums you WON'T become a modder, only a spammer...
kebra
Developer

Post by kebra »

Like i said,i have no more net,anyway,i will try to send you an update next week.The work is quite finished,just some details remain to do.
kebra
Developer

Post by kebra »

The claim is 85% finish, but to pursue, i want to have a little talk.
At the beginning i have proposed to create a forgiven city, unfortunately i have no meshes enough for a ruined redoran place. That let me two possibilities and i am hesitating. First, keeping a normal place, i mean, the exterior of an alive city. Second, the city could look like a normal place but being completely deserted. The inhabitants could have disappeared mysteriously and suddenly, every things (like merchandises) will stay in place but no NPC. In this case, I will just add elements to create an oppressive or mysterious atmosphere (lights…),and breaking the main road (a ropbridge) to the city (one another is hidden behind a fall in the mountains).Of course, that mean that a quest will have to be created to work with (like: finding the inhabitants, making the city reborn…i have an idea in mind but i will keep it for now) and some elements to be scripted (especially the bridge).I, also, have manage some places in the mountains that let a lot of possibilities open.
Do I break the bridge or not ?
PS : I have a little problem i don’t now to resolve : by mistake I have touch the neighbour map who has take some altitude, not the elements, just the map. I hope the map is protected, if not, tell me what to do.
kingfish
Developer Emeritus

Post by kingfish »

hmm, the idea of a deserted city [actually a town-don't make it big] sounds good to me; let's hear what others think...

about the land you accidentaly altered: don't worry, it can be easily deleted using tesame - see this: http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=13222

edit: please, post WIP file, i'd like to see it before you finish it...
Last edited by kingfish on Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
by posting useless junk on these forums you WON'T become a modder, only a spammer...
Silvone Elestahr
Developer

Post by Silvone Elestahr »

I think an abandoned city is a good idea. First of all, it will be a unique quest (unless copied again later on). Second, its in the perfect location to be haunted by something. I do think you should break the bridge, but you should explain it so that the player learns later that it was the inhabitants that broke the bridge to keep people away, and that whatever caused them to disappear (if it is a creature of some sort), wants the bridge to be there so that others may fall into its trap.
The back bridge is a good idea, but make sure it looks plenty creepy.
37: Rejoice as TeeAr rebuilds these lands that have been ravaged by war and famine. May those who STand in his way be smited by his many hands in an unrelenting torment.
-Noirgrim
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

Since there are no ruined Redoran buildings, you will have to be creative with how you make the town ruined. I would make the place overgrown, with small plants growing out of the middle of roads, and maybe shelf fungus and mushrooms growing out of the sides of the buildings themselves. Put random broken planks, crates and barrels from OoT instead of the Bethesda crates and barrels. You can actually accomplish a lot to make a place look ruined with the junk meshes in OoT.
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

You REALLY don't want me to come back.
kebra
Developer

Post by kebra »

Sorry to be so slow,always my internet problems.This version is not finished of course.Especially because i did another mistake,i am afraid to have build too far in the north,that's easy to correct,just boring(i know nothing about the neighbor map on the north)(i let two flying stones to mark the border).I have change the map names for my use,that also will be corrected,anyway, this is the name i want to give to the place.I create several little places to let quest possibilities,if it's not suitable for TR laws,tell me,without net,i just can't follow every devellopement.I am waiting for any suggestion,especially about the forgiven aspect of the city.
Attachments
TR_4-36-39_kebra.esp
(1.25 MiB) Downloaded 128 times
kingfish
Developer Emeritus

Post by kingfish »

man, you've earned my trust in you, awesome work [and i don't say that often].

few things though:

1. press "b" to see cell borders, you indeed are misplaced a bit - too far north and not far enough to west.
i'm suprised you don't know this, after seeing what you can do
plese, see this: http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=13222 if you are not sure how to cut off cells in TESAME.
you and a future claimer of V.H. will have to match borders soon - it's by far not compatible now!

2. please, no statues, we have too many already

3. don't make mountain slopes so steep and high, that makes the texture to stretch way too much and it looks ugly - instead, either lower it a bit, or hide it by those large wg_rocks

4. those "exterior interiors" look amazing, but don't use it much [though keep the ones you already made] - it may [and most likely will] cause FPS drop we don't want

optional:
5. the entry bridge [to the east] should imo be a broken one, or the way it is, but well hidden. actually the whole east opening of the valey could be more "hidden" - a rock-fall, large rock in front, etc...

keep it up, this surely is going to look great!
Vernon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vernon »

Bewdiful claim, kebra, I love the whole thing, esp. the little town and the water area near the boat. Are you going to use those big cliff meshes to cover those stretched mountains? That is how I cover the texture stretching anyway.
welp
kebra
Developer

Post by kebra »

Map problem corrected,so now i will work the landscape and the details like the bridge,containers...
Attachments
TR_4-36-39_kebra.esp
(1.29 MiB) Downloaded 117 times
kingfish
Developer Emeritus

Post by kingfish »

i'm a little confused; since dex granted you 6-43, does it mean this one is finished?
kebra
Developer

Post by kebra »

No,sorry,i haven't think it can be a problem.I will hurry up to finish.
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

Well just make sure that this claim is finished before you start work on 6-43.
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

I need to co-ordinate with you for the border with Claim 4-38-Red. Can you upload your most recent claim and I'll try and match your border.
<insert witty signature here. i might spend time trying to come up with something, but its not like anybody reads these anyway>
kebra
Developer

Post by kebra »

Last version.
Attachments
TR_4-36-39_kebra.esp
(310.47 KiB) Downloaded 124 times
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

<insert witty signature here. i might spend time trying to come up with something, but its not like anybody reads these anyway>
kebra
Developer

Post by kebra »

I need one week to finish from now.Two questions: do i have to claim by the normal system if i need to add books or containers in an exterior claim? I was thinking to add a diary ,like the Balin's book in the Moria (Tolkien),who tell little things about desaperance of the inhabitants.Second: What could be the best rocks-containers i can use and wich tamriel need the more? adamantium, silver...Is there existing some new,like iron...
kingfish
Developer Emeritus

Post by kingfish »

1. looking forward to see it
2. don't add the diary yet - it may change once we decide the quest
3. don't add anything too uber [like adamantium], rather make it iron [i believe there are some in OoT?], besides the whole area is going to be iron-rich
kebra
Developer

Post by kebra »

Finish!Fed up by mountains,i will take my vacation on the beach.I will come back on the net tomorrow to give informations and have a conversation about the area.The claim has been clean,but just the minimum,i don't now enough TESAME to play with it.The claim tutorial refused to work and it's my first submission,i hope i did the things correctly.
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

This claim looks fantastic, but I've found a few errors:
In the most southwestern cell, the pond you have included has an edge that is not closed off by a rock, so there is water just hanging out into the air.
In -15, -10 there is a floating ex_de_docks_steps piece.
Actually, in cells -16, -10 and -16, -9, it looks like there was a problem with the terrain. There are lots of floating buildings. It looks like something was accidentally flattened.
That's all I can find, excellent work though.
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie