i3-260-Ind

Moderator: Lead Developers

Tes96
Reviewer

Post by Tes96 »

Jule wrote:
rot wrote:One cookie sez there's a TR_in_MH_int_floor
Yeah, just go around spitting secrets everywhere. Next thing you're gonna tell someone there's also a matching TR_in_MH_int_ceiling to go with the floor piece!
How fun! It didn't occur to me that you guys made your own pieces from vanilla models. That makes sense though since SHOTN does it and I assume P:C does as well.
Tes96
Reviewer

Post by Tes96 »

Jule wrote:I'm just saying it doesn't look like a 2:1 ratio to me. I'd make the base 10x4, 2nd and 3rd both 8x4 and the top 6x2. But that's just me; you're free to do as you please, of course. However, keep in mind that one of the conditions for the claim to pass reviewing is that it should match the exterior. If I'm not sorely mistaken, a 4x2 top wouldn't match the exterior. So no, I don't want the top to be wider (and actually what I want doesn't mean anything; it's your claim), but I'd suggest making it longer.
Hi Jule (or to any other Reviewer), [url=http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/7653/j08v.jpg]here[/url] is what the design of the interior looks like thus far. I used a trap door at the top which is why those pink arrows are there.
Floor 1 has 4 rooms.
Floor 2 has 2 rooms.
Floor 3 has 1 room.
Floor 4 is a storage/supply/attic area for everyone to use. The 3rd floor is also a dining area.
Tes96
Reviewer

Warnings 10x longer? Why?

Post by Tes96 »

I'm still going to ask again; why are the loading warning errors 10x longer than normal? I know the Yes to All thing but I'm asking WHY are they 10x longer? What's causing that?
Tes96
Reviewer

Update

Post by Tes96 »

[url=http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/3711/y6gy.jpg]One room[/url] is done so far, although I still have to go rotate floaters and whatnot. I uploaded this as 10% done. There are seven rooms, the attic and the dining quarters at the top for cooking and eating.

Now, dockworkers, from what I understand, live a pretty hard life from the work they do. They're mostly roustabouts who like to drink, gamble, screw women, get in fights. They're not clean, they wouldn't use their napkin, their clothes wouldn't be folded neatly, they swear like sailors.

I was talking to a friend of mine who told me about being shanghaied, where ships will sail into port, go to one of the local bars where the dock workers go, and the captain would have his tough guys knock a couple of the workers unconscious and take them aboard the ship. When they would wake up, they would be 100 miles out at sea and be forced to work or else get the shit kicked out of them. I was thinking that could be an interesting quest. One of the dockworkers brother was "shanghaied" (would TR use a different word in Dunmeris?) last night and saw the ship heading north east. Hmm, might be kind of a pointless quest. What would the Player do, swim after the ship and rescue his brother?

I'll think of more ideas as I progress.

Oh, would [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE-JExp40Mg]this video[/url] of Hong Kong dock working be what Almalexia dock working is like? I really can't picture the dark elves merrily working the docks with smiles on their faces.

Hey, why are the dock workers Dark Elves and not one of the beast races instead? I already designed one room in the style of a Dark Elf but isn't slavery allowed on the mainland? Or is slavery only legal on Vvardenfell? Hmm, even if slavery is allowed on the mainland in Almalexia, these Dunmer men definitely need wages and to earn a living. And they'd probably be pissed if a bunch of Khajiits or Argonians took their jobs from them. I'm sure they get paid low wages and work very long hours. But their boarding at this apartment-like interior is very cheap, cheap enough for them to afford and still go out to drink each night and have sex with sleazy Dunmer women.
Tes96
Reviewer

Post by Tes96 »

[url=http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/3050/5gab.jpg]Four rooms[/url] are done and I deem that as 40% completed. Pretty much just three big rooms left, the attic, and then fine tunings and touch-ups to the entire claim before its completed.
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Looks nice!
SIGILLVM COMMVNITATIS DE CIVITATE BERGENSI
Jule
Reviewer

Post by Jule »

Looks interesting. A warning would be in order: the maximum number of references per interior cell is 800, you already have 1200+. Cut your shell into several cells.
Le vent nous portera

Tea is important! - Cathartis
Tes96
Reviewer

Post by Tes96 »

Jule wrote:Looks interesting. A warning would be in order: the maximum number of references per interior cell is 800, you already have 1200+. Cut your shell into several cells.
That sucks. But as you wish. When I complete the interior, I'll see where there is a good place to split it. I'll probably make the attic a separate cell as well. I just never liked the loading screens while in interiors.

Oh, may I place a chimney in this? Or no chimney?
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

Having each story be its own cell would make some amount of sense and would also make the automap more useful.
Jule
Reviewer

Post by Jule »

Tes96 wrote:When I complete the interior, I'll see where there is a good place to split it.
I'd advise against such a course of action, because it will be easier to split it while it's an empty shell. Object placement might be altered if you try to split your int after you clutter it.
Gez wrote:Having each story be its own cell would make some amount of sense and would also make the automap more useful.
This is certainly one of the better options. Another option would be to slightly expand the hallway just after the entrance, and then splitting the interior into three cells: the entrance and two wings. This would also allow you to alter the layout of the top floor (this is just my opinion: rooms are always more interesting to explore than long hallways) and to reduce somewhat the are you need to clutter. Other options are possible, of course, I'm merely suggesting one of them. Also one small thing: you've placed a floating bucket in a half-barrel full of water, which is nice, but may I suggest using a static one? The floating motion would make sense if it were a large, flowing body of water or if there were wind. In an interior, it might look a bit weird.
Le vent nous portera

Tes96
Reviewer

Post by Tes96 »

Jule wrote:
Tes96 wrote:When I complete the interior, I'll see where there is a good place to split it.
I'd advise against such a course of action, because it will be easier to split it while it's an empty shell. Object placement might be altered if you try to split your int after you clutter it.
Gez wrote:Having each story be its own cell would make some amount of sense and would also make the automap more useful.
This is certainly one of the better options. Another option would be to slightly expand the hallway just after the entrance, and then splitting the interior into three cells: the entrance and two wings. This would also allow you to alter the layout of the top floor (this is just my opinion: rooms are always more interesting to explore than long hallways) and to reduce somewhat the are you need to clutter. Other options are possible, of course, I'm merely suggesting one of them. Also one small thing: you've placed a floating bucket in a half-barrel full of water, which is nice, but may I suggest using a static one? The floating motion would make sense if it were a large, flowing body of water or if there were wind. In an interior, it might look a bit weird.
I will look into separating the interior by each story. I'll fix the floating bucket. Thanks for the suggestion, Jule.
These rooms are not really supposed to be interesting or unique but more like sloppy rat hole apartment rooms that the dockworkers have to share.
But I really don't know much about Almalexia the city. Does it have its poor slum areas? And if so, are those areas really dirty and filthy? Or is Almalexia kept clean pretty much? Even so, if the exterior world is kept clean by the strict enforcement of the guards and the law, that doesn't mean that the inhabitants have to keep their homes clean. And with that, I have the living quarters of the dockworkers very messy with stuff just thrown wherever. And of course, all of these men drink and smoke, and then go to local taverns to find some whores to proposition. From a general perspective, that's just about all that dockworkers are interested in. You guys haven't commented on my style of design so I'm assuming I'm going in the right direction with the objects I'm using?
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

Your style look's good to me, based off you screenshots, at least. I don't know where you get the patience to place all those items. :))
-Head of NPCs: [url=http://www.shotn.com/forums/]Skyrim: Home of the Nords[/url]
Tes96
Reviewer

Which files to download?

Post by Tes96 »

I had to get a new laptop. Do I download the main TR files for modding from the [url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=21284]public downloads section[/url]?
Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

No.

Get the TR_Data files from the page called TR Data (above the forum options such as private messages).

Any other internal file you'd like. TR Modders are very silly if they work from release files. Always use up to date stuff, released work can theoretically be over a year old (it's a coincidence it's only almost a month now.)

Wow, for someone in need of sleep, I was very kind.
Tes96
Reviewer

Post by Tes96 »

Aeven wrote:No.

Get the TR_Data files from the page called TR Data (above the forum options such as private messages).

Any other internal file you'd like. TR Modders are very silly if they work from release files. Always use up to date stuff, released work can theoretically be over a year old (it's a coincidence it's only almost a month now.)

Wow, for someone in need of sleep, I was very kind.
Thanks. It would be helpful to post a sticky or announcement message somewhere saying where to go for the files, like in the Claims sections.
Tes96
Reviewer

Post by Tes96 »

[url=http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/8967/pdtp.jpg]Here[/url] is the interior split into four different cells. Each floor has its own cell. Even with just the first floor as its own cell, it is almost 800 references and I'm not even done cluttering the hallway or the last room. You can kinda see that the rooms get progressively less and less messy, which looks kinda lazy, as if the modder spent less and less time on each room as he/she/it went along.

Perhaps I will make one of the rooms a separate cell as well. I still think that 800 rule is unnecessary as even old machines can generate interior cells with 3000+ references just fine. But the TR team is trying to keep the project close to vanilla style, which I understand. Loading doors really are only minor inconveniences.

I'll make something work with this bottom floor so that I can add more objects.
Jule
Reviewer

Post by Jule »

Looking good!
Le vent nous portera

Stryker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stryker »

Updates?
Haū! Omochikaerī!

Interior Reviews: 168
Tes96
Reviewer

Post by Tes96 »

Stryker wrote:Updates?
I'm finishing up the hallway on the bottom level and will be working on the second level shortly. Reference count is currently at 711. I'm trying to mod in what spare time I have in between school and work.
Tes96
Reviewer

Wayrest, Jewel of the Bay scroll?

Post by Tes96 »

Is [url=http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/4158/y89i.jpg]Wayrest, Jewel of the Bay[/url] supposed to be a scroll that is worth only 1 gold? Because it's a normal book in [url=http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Wayrest,_Jewel_Of_The_Bay]TESII: Daggerfall[/url] and it costs a lot more than one septim.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Hi Tes96, time for an update on this claim! And the value of that text will be fixed in the next TR_Data update.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Tes96
Reviewer

Post by Tes96 »

Haplo wrote:Hi Tes96, time for an update on this claim! And the value of that text will be fixed in the next TR_Data update.
Wow, this is so exciting! It's like I'm actually working for Bethesda and I have a deadline to meet! :D

All four levels are finished, Haplo. I'm just going back through and fine tuning all the rotations and placing a few more objects here and there. It's split into 5 separate cells. Total object count so far is 2200+ references. Can you give me by the end of this week to have this claim finished?

Where can I find forum news that tells me when TR's next update is?
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Tes96 wrote:Can you give me by the end of this week to have this claim finished?

Sure thing; we have the update-every-month rule to ensure continuous progress here at TR.

Information about updates isn't really around in a unified form except for when we make announcements about them. You can, however, check the various claims threads and internal modding forums to get a general weather report of how progress is going.

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

Tes96
Reviewer

Post by Tes96 »

Haplo wrote:
Tes96 wrote:Can you give me by the end of this week to have this claim finished?

Sure thing; we have the update-every-month rule to ensure continuous progress here at TR.

Information about updates isn't really around in a unified form except for when we make announcements about them. You can, however, check the various claims threads and internal modding forums to get a general weather report of how progress is going.
Wait, the TR team posts new downloadable updates on Bethsoft forums once a month? I thought that was only once or twice a year.
[url=http://www.project-tamriel.com/]Project Tamriel[/url]

"If one is to understand the arcane arts, one must study all its aspects, not just the dogmatic narrow view of the Mages Guild."
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

No, the update refers to you and other TR Modders, who must give department heads updates on the status of your claims via the claim threads.

Tes96
Reviewer

Claim finished!

Post by Tes96 »

Dockworker housing is complete. Interior is 4 stories with the bottom two being living quarters, the third level being both living quarters and kitchen/dining area, and the 4th being a storage attic.
There are 21 dunmer men who work from sunrise to sundown at the docks. By the time they get home from work, they're so exhausted and disgruntled that they just throw their clothes anywhere and drink themselves to sleep. Activities they do in their spare time include reading, arguing, gambling. Most of their wages are spent on booze, food, gambling and prostitutes. Sex has always been a good anecdote for stress.

Level 2 has a letter to one of the dark elves, which reads:

"I still don't see why you choose to stay in Almalexia. Everything there is ridiculously overpriced compared to here. I wish you would consider leaving to come stay with us. Even if you don't earn as much money out here, there is still plenty of fish to eat. You would have your own room, too, and rent would be much cheaper. Honestly, it's madness to stay out there for the amount they're paying you."

Feel free to change the wording around. This elf has family out in Vvardenfell somewhere, probably Hla Oad or Khuul or one of those fishing villages.

In Level 3, there is a shelf on the wall that has a lot of junk placed on it. I thought it would be humorous to have one of his room mates' dialogue read:

"Have you seen how much stuff %NPC has piled on his shelf? His mattress caught fire last summer because it fell off the wall onto his bed. Funny thing was that he was asleep when it happened. Haha... I keep telling him it'll happen again if he keeps piling his junk there... foolish n'wah."

Feel free to change that, too.

All of the items are in the poor range since dockworkers are severely overworked and underpaid.
I'm not sure for whom they work; possibly the city government? A private company? I don't know who Almelexia is put together. Who or what is in charge of this city any ways?

Oh, and I was wondering about the exterior outside the housing. It is very clean compared to the inside. Is that because the guards have a strict enforcement on keeping the city clean? Or will junk and clutter later be added to it? Because I've never seen any docks that were clean and devoid of clutter and junk.

"If one is to understand the arcane arts, one must study all its aspects, not just the dogmatic narrow view of the Mages Guild."
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

You didn't really need to post this much for a commonplace-type interior like this, TES96, but I do appreciate the enthusiasm. :)
This elf has family out in Vvardenfell somewhere, probably Hla Oad or Khuul or one of those fishing villages.
The chances of anyone living in Almalexia having relatives in such isolated and tiny villages strikes me as rather unbelievable. References to places on Vvardenfell shouldn't be overused anyway.
-Head of NPCs: [url=http://www.shotn.com/forums/]Skyrim: Home of the Nords[/url]
Tes96
Reviewer

Post by Tes96 »

Yeti wrote:You didn't really need to post this much for a commonplace-type interior like this, TES96, but I do appreciate the enthusiasm. :)
This elf has family out in Vvardenfell somewhere, probably Hla Oad or Khuul or one of those fishing villages.
The chances of anyone living in Almalexia having relatives in such isolated and tiny villages strikes me as rather unbelievable. References to places on Vvardenfell shouldn't be overused anyway.
You do have a point there. I could see them having relatives in larger cities on the island, though.

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Submitting to Review
Swiftoak
Developer Emeritus

Post by Swiftoak »

Hi TES96!

I took a quick gander at this, and noticed a few things. There's WAY too much clutter in this interior. It's very nicely detailed, but maybe just a little too overdone. Cut back on the clutter a bit, especially the bottles. Nobody drinks that much, even in collective housing.

Also be sure you're using the right version of TR_Data, it looks like you're using either an outdated version, or a public release version. You can download the right and latest version [url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/esp/browser.php]here[/url].

Recommending this be sent back for the issues outlined above. It looks good, but it's overdone, that's all. :)
"Idleness and lack of occupation tend - nay are dragged - towards evil."
-Hippocrates
Swiftoak
Developer Emeritus

Post by Swiftoak »

Hurr durr lul aeven u nub im in ur department messing ur thingz. :P

TES96 sent me a new version with less clutter, so this does not need to be sent back. Reviewers, please use the file I've attached at the top.
"Idleness and lack of occupation tend - nay are dragged - towards evil."
-Hippocrates
Seneca37
Lead Developer

Post by Seneca37 »

Moving to N/A until we decide what to do with Alma claims.