Claim type: Quest
Claim ID: TR_q1-36-Mis (#850)
Faction: Misc
Parent claim: TR_1-8-Tel (#23)
Claimed by: Parted User
Files: None

---

Quest Title: Illusory Truth
Quest Writer: The_Writing_Wraith (a few minor changes to the Telvanni ending by Starcrunch)
Quest Maker: Starcrunch (Open for another claimer until I get to it, however)

NPC's Involved (all are created specifically for this quest, all vanish after it is done)

'Telvanni' Mage- Quest giver, Dunmeri, gender not important, name needed

Commona Tong Theif- Dunmeri, male, name needed

Bosmeri Agent- Bosmeri, male, name needed

Locations Involved:

1. Location in country side near Firewatch

Story(long form): Along the side of the road outside of Firewatch the player encounters a telvanni mage, a bosmer agent, and a dunmer theif. If the player speaks to the bosmer or the theif, they will direct him to the mage. When the player speaks to the mage, he will be filled in on the situation.

The situation is this: the mage hired a thief to steal a special book, entitled the Illusory Truth, that reveals some of the more difficult secrets of the school of illusion from a rival Telvanni. He hired an agent to instagate an uprising amongst his rival's slaves to distract his rival's guards while the theif stole the book. The theft went perfectly and the trio began to travel back to Firewatch. Unfortunately, one of the two hirelings stole the book last night.

Once the player has heard the story, he is offered a choice: either find the theif or the mage will kill both of the hirelings. The mage would need to turn his back on one of them for a moment, thereby opening himself up to attack. He would like to avoid this, but his options are running out, he must reach Firewatch soon or his superior will not be pleased.

If the player declines to find the theif, the mage will kill them both and the quest will end. But if the player accepts, he will be given two game hours (subject to testing) to complete the quest.

If the player is a member of the Theives Guild, or raises the dispostion of the bosmer to 80 or above, he will discover that the bosmer stole the book in order to frame the dunmer theif. If asked to explain, the bosmer will state that the dunmer theif is a member of the Commona Tong. If the player is a member of the Theives Guild, the bosmer will then plead that the player aid his fellow theif, help the interests of the Guild, and help him frame the dunmer theif. If the player only has a disposition of 80 or above, the bosmer will ask that the player do his duty to the Emperor and elimante the Commona Tong scum.

The player can then agree and tell the Telvanni that the dunmer is the theif. Alternately, the player can tell the Telvanni the truth and say the bosmer is a theif. Either way the player will be asked to search the body of the 'theif' for the book. The player will be rewarded by the Telvanni with a mid-range value amulet and then, if the bosmer is still alive, the player will be rewarded with an increase of disposition with the Theives Guild and small sum of gold.

The player can also speak with the Commona Tong theif. If he does this he will be threatened and insulted repeatedly, but if the player still threatens to reveal him as the theif, the Commona Tong theif will offer the player a trade. He will not be told the trade at this time.

If the player has spoken to the Commona Tong theif and then tells the Telvanni that the theif is the bosmer, he will recieve the same reward as before from the Telvanni and also recieve a soul gem the the Commona Tong theif stole while taking th book. The player will also recieve a promise from the Commona Tong theif to him back for his actions, translating to a dispostion increase with the Commona Tong and a dispostion decrease with the Theives Guild.

Additionally there will be clues scattered through out the dialouges that the Telvanni is not in fact a Telvanni. If the player is a high ranking member of the Mages Guild, or a high intelligence level, he can confront the 'Telvanni'. The 'Telvanni' will then reveal himself as a member of the Mages Guild sent to 'liberate' the book from the Telvanni. If the player is a member of the Mages Guild, he will be given the option to congratulate the 'Telvanni' on his successful theft or ask to be taught some of the secrets of the book in exchange for not revealing the 'Telvanni'. The player will then recieve an increase in his illusion skill or not depending on his choice. The same options will be given to a player that is not a member of Telvanni or the Mages Guild. If the Player is a member of Telvanni, he will be given the additional choice of killing the mage, if he chooses to do so. The book will contain notes indicating who it belongs to, and may be returned for a decent magical trinket.

Dialogue Topics: Stolen Book, Mages Guild, Telvanni, Thieves Guild

As I stated elsewhere I will make this when I get to it, but if someone else is willing to do it before I start they are welcome to it.

EDIT: If Commona Tong is not allowed I withdraw this until a new suitable plot line is developed.
R:6 I:22 N:30
Screw it, I'm back for sweet sweet TR

Uldar Gerzae: Expect no dodgeballs out of my arse. Though if something were to shoot out of me nether regions it mgiht be wise to dodge it all the same
Majra
Developer Emeritus

Post by Majra »

Here is how we handle it:

The quest is initiated upon talking to the MG/T Mage.

Killing anyone prematurely (without premission from the mage) ends the quest with a violent response from all three.

The player running out of time ends with the Mage (probably) killing the other 2 and recovering his book.

The player can collect info from everyone and promise anyone whatever they want to get this info, what matters is what the players actions are.

The player then has three options:
1.) Tell the mage it is the Bosmer
2.) Tell the mage it is the Dunmer
3.) Accuse the mage of not being Telvanni

1.)-> Mage telling player to kill the Bosmer->Player Killing the Bosmer->Mage getting his book back and everyone going on their happy way.

2.)-> Mage telling player to kill the Dunmer->Player killing the Dunmer->Book is not found->Mage kills the Bosmer and recovers his book->Player is not rewarded

3.)->Results in Mage confessign his ID->Player given twom more choices:
A.) Kill the Mage
B.) Continue Helping Mage

3.A.)->Results in all out battle with the player getting the book int he end->Player can return book to real Telvanni

3.B.)->Player can choose option 1 and 2 and go from there.

No it does not reduce the options. It does not matter what the players tells the Bosmer and Dunmer thieves, everything hinges on what he tells the Mage. If he threatens the mage the mage attacks, end of quest, if the mage gets his book back he will give the player his training if the player fingered the correct agent. Remember it does not metter what the player says he is going to do when it comes to helping the thieves, it only matters who he accuses.

The Bosmers motivation is simple: he is trying to get his enemy killed. Actually I think you're right about the Bosmer needing to escape, he uses an invisibility potion to vanish after the Dunmer is attacked and escapes. Quest endas with mage turning on you. Can meet Bosmer later at some pub.

Also the way the dialogue engine works, this sort of thing will not be that difficult to handle. It's actually scripting that may be the hardest part of this quest as some of the commands that are needed are fairly buggy.

Here is how the rewards breakdown:
Side with Dunmer->Soul Gem from Dunmer (actually I know a very clever way to decide if he made a promise or not)
Training from MG Mage
Whatever objects are on the Bosmer's bodies

Side with Bosmer->Bosmer gives you some small reward at Tavern where you meet him (if you don't get a promise from him for your aid you can still run into him randomly)
loot from the two bodies (Mage, Dunmer)

Accuse Mage of being MG->
Whatever objects are on the 3 available bodies

If somehow the player ends up with the book he can return it to its real owner for a reward.
R:6 I:22 N:30
Screw it, I'm back for sweet sweet TR

Uldar Gerzae: Expect no dodgeballs out of my arse. Though if something were to shoot out of me nether regions it mgiht be wise to dodge it all the same
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

Couldn't the bosmer give the book to the player if s/he agrees to help him with framing the CT dunmer? Dunmer is slain, player "finds" book on his corpse, Bosmer's plot fully worked.

Then a new option opens up for the player, fleeing with the book (and maybe returning it to the Telvanni). Bosmer flees, using invisibility potion; the two other NPC guess what just happened and attack the player. All three NPCs disappear if the player leaves the cell (if s/he flees through an Intervention, for example).