Imperial Archeological Society - Guild Discussion

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Starcrunch
Developer Emeritus

Imperial Archeological Society - Guild Discussion

Post by Starcrunch »

It has been decided that the Imperial Archeological Society (IAS) will be a player joinable faction for Map 2. The IAS will be principally involved in the exploration of the ruins of Kemel-Ze (for those who do not know this is a huge labyrinthine Dwemer ruin near the Imperial city of Darconis where the IAS has their principal base of operations). The purpose of this thread will be to work out the faction information for this group. This means we need to work out their two favored attributes and six favored skills. We also must determine the ranks and decide such things as how high the player may climb in the faction. I will attempt to keep this first post updated with the relevent worked out information, but nothing in this first post should be taken as final. The initial choices reflect an IRC discussion between Vegor, Stalker, and myself.

Favored Attributes:
Intelligence
Luck

Favored Skills:
Speechcraft
Mercantile
Athletics
Alchemy
Unarmored
Security

Ranks:
????????

That's it for now, time for everyone to jump in and have their say!

-Starcrunch
Last edited by Starcrunch on Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Arthmodeus
Developer

Post by Arthmodeus »

Favored Skills:
Speechcraft
Mercantile
Athletics
Acrobatics
Unarmored
Short Blade
Lud
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lud »

As recently as 100 years ago archaelogy as we know it now didn't exist. In these days "archaelogist" was simply a fancy word for a treasure hunter who travelled around looking for treasures.
The Imperial Archaelogical society would probably be something similar and wouldn't be very interested in contextuallising their finds or real scholarship.

Suggested ranks:

Low-
Treasure Hunter

High-
Curator,Dean,Academic
"It’s all been such a mistake. We were once little shrew-like animals. That would be so much better."
-Ophelia Benson
Stalker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stalker »

Ranks:
9 - Head Expeditor
8 - Expeditor
7 - Junior Expeditor
[img]http://img430.imageshack.us/img430/3336/oblivionforum5tb.jpg[/img]

Your friendly slavedriver.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Blunt weapon would probably be most appropriate, since the members are likely to carry a staff for getting to sites whihc are out of the way.
Starcrunch
Developer Emeritus

Post by Starcrunch »

Ludovic wrote:As recently as 100 years ago archaelogy as we know it now didn't exist. In these days "archaelogist" was simply a fancy word for a treasure hunter who travelled around looking for treasures.
The Imperial Archaelogical society would probably be something similar and wouldn't be very interested in contextuallising their finds or real scholarship.
There is evidence that scholarship is important to the IAS, there are a few mentions of them and the book The Ruins of Kemel-Ze certainly indicate that they are rather different from the Victorian era archeologists (at least in my eyes).

-Starcrunch
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

I second Arth's suggestion of Short Blade for the final attribute, or, if that doesn't work, then Blunt Weapon.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I dont really see the purpose of it being short blade. If you are fighting rats then a stick would be better, you dont have to run the risk of a bitten hand. If you are fighting something dwemer you want a real heavy weapon like a long blade. I think it would be better just to have a staff or a torch which acts as a weapon.
Vegor
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vegor »

Meaning blunt weapon indeed. I can't decide, I've not seen a very good argument for or against either. Could be any of both, I don't think it's much of a problem. I'd go for Blunt Weapon, but for no particular reason.

I think the archeologists are actually very sophisticated in their research. Nowhere near modern archeologists, but still genuinly interested in the origin of the items they research. That in contrast with mere treasure hunters that are out for loot and fame.

I imagine the lower ranks to be diggers and people carrying off debris and heavy parts of uninteresting artifacts, instead of real archeologists. I like the expeditor ranks for the highest ranks as Stalker suggested.
Nairb
Developer

Post by Nairb »

some of the quests could be like hide and seek. hide a intem in a ruin
Hold on sec, my keyboard is sliding off the desk, i gotta catch it b4 it jnkgdnldnl
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

I really like the idea Vegor brought up over IRC once with most of the quest being about Kemel-Ze and escavating it..it'd be interesting to reveal more and more of the ruin as the player went on.

I prefer blunt weapon for two reasons. First, short weapon gets a lot of attention, blunt weapon not so much. Second, if you needed to smash through something because the slave you hired (though you consider it a totally unethical practice, ofcourse) just fell and cracked his skull a blunt weapon is much better.

Oh, and the folks in charge should be very much like the auther of Ruins of Kemel-Ze.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
Stalker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stalker »

Let it be Blunt Weapons than.

Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

I agree that blunt weapons are better, and they'd certainly be more useful. I am a bit surprised that Armourer is not a favoured skill, but I can understand it looking at the other ones.
Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

I would suggest reflecting academical structure.

Undergraduate (bachelor)
Postgraduate (master)
Enquirer (doctor)
Researcher (docent)
Tutor (professor)
Academic (Head of department)
Expeditor (Dean)
Expedition leader (Archdean)
Project Manager (Prorektor)
Supervisor (Rektor)

Until reaching status of enquirer, PC would just study historical books and pass (or fail) tests of Tutors.
As an enquirer he would be asked to do his own enquiry in some specified field of problem or topic, including some fieldwork, but most of library work.
As a researcher he could do his own research, but he would have to persuade Tutor about his worthiness in the end.
Tutoring and academical quests would consists in fieldwork, and following tutoring of students. As an Academic you could write a book (or at least have some assistant to whom you would dictate results of your research)???
At the rank of expeditor he would be allowed to join some expedition for which he would become responsible as a project manager. and as a supervisor decide on sending his own (building of the camp there).

Just brainstorming...
THEO
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

That looks more like rising through the ranks of a college. The Imperial Archeological Society seemed ENTIRELY about being an archeologist, not about teaching and things. Sure, they bragged to eachother and whatnot, but no schooling.

Besides, I don't think there are a lot of players who like reading books and taking tests over and over again, once is a nice novelty, but if it looks like that's all your going to do for a faction, most people are gonna quit.
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

Athletics I agree upon, but acrobatics? Since when do you need to be able to do backflips to dig holes? I say replace acrobatics with alchemy, as there would most likely be some sort of alchemy tests being done upon recovered artifacts.
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

You REALLY don't want me to come back.
Stalker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stalker »

You need to jump when you want to get some unreachable stuff. Also when a centurion comes close you'll be doing all sorts of dances to stay alive :)

Starcrunch
Developer Emeritus

Post by Starcrunch »

I think Dexters argument is good. But I can see the counter argument running along the lines of Acrobatics is needed to scramble through ruins and climb over stuff. What does everyone else think?

-Starcrunch
Animunculi

Post by Animunculi »

Dexter wrote:Athletics I agree upon, but acrobatics? Since when do you need to be able to do backflips to dig holes? I say replace acrobatics with alchemy, as there would most likely be some sort of alchemy tests being done upon recovered artifacts.
I agree with Dexter. Alchemy seems more sensible for archeology. I can even imagine one quest where you need to find a special item from a ruin and then later conservate it.
When a centurion approaches the archeologist gulps an invisibility or camouflage potion which he or she cooked up previously and waits until the centurion leaves.
But why not have both of the skills and remove something like mercantile since it is not allowed to trade with dwemer items anyways.
Last edited by Animunculi on Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

If not alchemy then restoration...just for the name of it :D

Security would also be a useful one to have, since most stuff is found in locked boxes.
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

I think mercantile should stay, since we could pass it off as the ability to appraise the item.
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

I agree, Alchemy would be better. However, I think that mercentile isn't the best skill for them. They're not so interested in selling them as they are in studying them.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Yes they are more likely to have a broker who would sort out anything that they want to sell. They are more likely to put them on display in a museum, and if its anything really interesting it would probably get shipped to the Capital.
Starcrunch
Developer Emeritus

Post by Starcrunch »

Mercantile is very important. Remember that it is also a skill used when buying artifacts, something they most certainly would do to obtain them.

-Starcrunch
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Do we really need both speecraft and mercantile though? They are very similar.
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

We could drop blunt weapon and add security, since I fail to see how blunt weapon would be a vital skill. Maybe with using shovels... but that would be more of an axe skill, and that's a big stretch of reason.
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

Stalker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stalker »

Blunt weapons is for defending yourself.

Starcrunch
Developer Emeritus

Post by Starcrunch »

Yes, they are two of the most sensible skill picks for this guild. The IAS is interested in knowing facts about history and those are the skills that further this ambition the most. I do rather agree that security seems sensible as well.

-Starcrunch
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

But as Animunculi said, I think the archaeologists would be more likely to try and hide from the Dwemer constructs than destroy them. Either way, I really think that security needs to be in there.
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

Starcrunch wrote:Mercantile is very important. Remember that it is also a skill used when buying artifacts, something they most certainly would do to obtain them.

-Starcrunch
But would they USUALLY be buying their artifacts? No. So, yes, it's useful, but it's not as vital as security.
Starcrunch
Developer Emeritus

Post by Starcrunch »

Yes, it would be. I would guess that a vast majority of their artifacts are purchased from private owners. Kemel-Ze is a very special place, but they can't mount expeditions everywhere and most of the time they will need to get things from people who already own them. As I see it Mercantile and Speechcraft stay. This means that 2 skills need to be changed from Athletics, Acrobatics,
Unarmored, and Blunt Weapon. The two will be replaced by Security and Alchmey.

-Starcrunch
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Lose acrobatics...and i suppose that blunt weapon would go, i mean if you are mounting an expedition wouldnt you think to take a couple of fighter's guild people?
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

That's something I didn't think of, but you're right, the archaeologists probably would hire a few bodyguards to protect them. This would also make for some easy Fighters Guild quests.
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I dont think they would have thieves along for the ride so security is still necessary, though it would be fun for a Map 2 TG quest to have you swooping in and taking the prize before the archeologists get to it.
Starcrunch
Developer Emeritus

Post by Starcrunch »

I have edit the initial post to reflect that Security seems better than Acrobatics. I have also replaced Blunt Weapons with Alchemy, because I do see the IAS as hiring the FG (or even maybe getting Legion support) for dealing out death when it is needed. Let the debate continue :) [maybe some more thoughts on ranks?].

-Starcrunch
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

Theo wrote:Undergraduate (bachelor)
Postgraduate (master)
Enquirer (doctor)
Researcher (docent)
Tutor (professor)
Academic (Head of department)
Expeditor (Dean)
Expedition leader (Archdean)
Project Manager (Prorektor)
Supervisor (Rektor)
I like the higher ranks, but I think the lower ranks could be a little more "grunty" sounding. The first rank could be something like "digger". You would have to start out doing the bitchwork, like digging up stuff here, moving rubble there, searching through entire ruins for one specific item, before you got to do the cool stuff like actually examine the artifacts.
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

Security is a necessity for them, so many old doors and chests are locked and traped.

As for ranks, I propose this:

9 - Head Expeditor
8 - Expeditor
7 - Junior Expeditor
-- As Stalker said

6 - Archaeologist
5 - Explorer
4 - Treasure Finder
3 - Treasure Seeker
2 - Assistant
1 - Digger

The proposed progression makes you start as a grunt, then you become a sort of "tomb raider", as the IAS acknowledges your skills in finding ancient items while still denying you the full dignity of an actual enlightened scholar. Reaching the status of Archaelogist is thus the pinacle of one's research career, with the Expeditor ranks once you join the top-level hierarchy.
Animunculi

Post by Animunculi »

Gez wrote:Security is a necessity for them, so many old doors and chests are locked and traped.

As for ranks, I propose this:

9 - Head Expeditor
8 - Expeditor
7 - Junior Expeditor
-- As Stalker said

6 - Archaeologist
5 - Explorer
4 - Treasure Finder
3 - Treasure Seeker
2 - Assistant
1 - Digger

The proposed progression makes you start as a grunt, then you become a sort of "tomb raider", as the IAS acknowledges your skills in finding ancient items while still denying you the full dignity of an actual enlightened scholar. Reaching the status of Archaelogist is thus the pinacle of one's research career, with the Expeditor ranks once you join the top-level hierarchy.
I think Treasure Finder and Treasure Seeker are the only ones that don't suit. These names hint more to looters than archeologists. Treasure Finder and Treasure Seeker mean pretty much the same thing anyway.
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

1. Hireling
2. Assistant
3. Senior Assistant
4. Junior Archeologist
5. Archeologist
6. Senior Archeologist
7. Junior Expeditor ( Is there a better word for this, it sounds..off)
8. Expeditor
9. Senior Expeditor
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

7 - Maybe 'Expeditor's Assistant'.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined