q7-5-Imp

After a quest claim has been cleared by a review, the thread will be moved here. Discussion is still allowed.

Moderator: Lead Developers

Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

q7-5-Imp

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

Claim type: Quest
Claim ID: TR_q7-5-Imp (#1123)
Faction: Imperial
Parent claim: TR_7-1-Imp (#1061)
Claimed by: groza528
Files: TR_q7-5-Imp_CommonsNat_1.esp; TR_q7-5-Imp_CommonsNat_2.esp; TR_q7-5-Imp_Thrignar Fraxix_1.esp; TR_q7-5-Imp_groza528_1.esp

---

Julia Basilla's Dark Secret.
(Might need a new name.)
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

In the Basilla lighthouse, the door to the bedroom is locked. If the player speaks to Julia Basilla while she's inside, she'll sound like she's been blubbin' and ask the player to please leave, the player will get a journal saying that she appeared to be upset. If the player asks around town, anyone from Fort Stirk (and Jafan and Aria) will tell the player that three or four times a month, she appears to have been beaten. She won't speak of the bruises, always asking everyone to respect her privacy. Jafan will tell the player that he thinks she keeps a wild (insert random completely made-up creature) in her back room, and that he'd really like to know more about it.

She keeps the key on her person and the lock can be picked. The player can also raise her disposition. Whatever the case, she'll spill the beans. Her father, Iallus Basilla is very sick and amnesiac. Physical symptoms restrict him from helping, and he will randomly become very hostile and irrational. His handicaps briefly subside so that he can hit her enough to bruise. He knows no better, and thinks she is trying to harm him somehow. It is very straining on her mind.

She has a friend in Firsthold who knows of the disease and how to cure it. He suggests using clouded funnel cap, columbine root pulp, and ironwood nut. Unfortunately, she can't afford it, and even if she could, her father wouldn't take the potion thinking it was poison. If she could afford it, she would instead hide it in a pie, her father loves Apple-Strawberry Pie. She asks the player if he could get them, and begs him not to go to the guards.

The player now has three options:
  • 1. They get the ingredients, specifically:
    • 5 Flour
      5 Apples
      4 Strawberry
      2 Clouded Funnel Cap
      2 Columbine Root Pulp
      2 Ironwood Nut
    2. He can go to the guards, and report domestic abuse.

3. He can go to the guards, and report a mentally ill patient.
The first one's ending is very positive, and gets the player the most gold. The father is cured and friendly now, he helps out and does things like a nice old man. He gives the player a reasonable reward for his efforts.

The second one's ending is very negative. The father goes to prison, where he dies. The lighthouse door is always locked and Julia never leaves. Player gets a small reward from the guards.

The third one's ending is a mix. At first it's like the second, but after 2 weeks, the player will hear that Iallus is back. Commence the first ending.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
CommonsNat
Developer

Post by CommonsNat »

I claim this. It shouldn't take but a few weeks max, considering my busy schedule. I'll make it a priority in my fun-time.
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

Good choice, mang.
CommonsNat
Developer

Post by CommonsNat »

10% mark reached.

As of 9/20/06, file has not been tested at all.
Nathan Commons
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

Hey, you haven't posted about your progress since the 20th. I know we chat in IRC, but could you give me it in writing?

*paperwork*
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
CommonsNat
Developer

Post by CommonsNat »

Right-o, sorry about that. Progress? I'd rate a 40%-50% completion rating. I've had bad luck testing so far. I actually know very little of what works so far. The inability to exit my interior makes it a bit more difficult.

I still must set up a few alternate quest paths:
-What happens if the player reports domestic abuse.
-What happens if the player reports mental illness.
-What happens after the player bakes the pie.

My days have been busy recently. I'll work on it more.
Nathan Commons
CommonsNat
Developer

Post by CommonsNat »

Update as of 10/26/06:

Only advancement made is some of the path of reporting domestic abuse.
Things to do:
-Fix a quest path for curing Iallus.
-Fix a quest path for reporting he's crazy.
-Fixing and Testing.
Nathan Commons
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Progress?
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Revoked due to absence. Use WIP, or don't JUST CLAIM THIS AND MAKE IT!
groza528
Developer Emeritus

Post by groza528 »

After literally being begged to learn OB questing, I've decided to use this quest as a learning experience, to ultimately showcase. I don't know whether you consider that a claim or not; if someone else makes it I'll probably still use it as an example, but if others would rather work on, say, modeling, I just wanted you to know that this is being worked on.

I'll be starting from scratch. That's not to say commonsnat did a poor job. I haven't even looked at his work. I just think that since it's meant as a tutorial quest for me, I'll get a lot more out of it if I don't use a work-in-progress.
Imagine my insult to find that "Raw Glass has no effect on you." I became very huffy at the implication that my intelligence could not be lowered further. Then again, I did just eat a piece of glass.
Noirgrim
Developer Emeritus

Post by Noirgrim »

If you don't want to quest for OB, please don't. But if you do... hit the claim button.

Hammerfell and Stirk aren't going to be built by people who were forced to learn how to mod for OB, but by those who want to mod for OB, who are motivated by the vision of seeing a whole new province made in the OB engine.
"Noirgrim, (who is accused of working too hard) is the worst kind of modder this project can get." -Ender
groza528
Developer Emeritus

Post by groza528 »

I want to give it a try at least. I just needed a little more prodding because I didn't want to take the time to adapt to the new CS. I'm not going to give up Morrowind questing, but I'll give Hammerfell a try as well.
Imagine my insult to find that "Raw Glass has no effect on you." I became very huffy at the implication that my intelligence could not be lowered further. Then again, I did just eat a piece of glass.
groza528
Developer Emeritus

Post by groza528 »

Haven't got a whole lot done yet. Running into a few problems that may just be n00bishness, but Sload couldn't figure out what was wrong either (from screenshots) so I don't feel quite so dumb about it.
And it's not that I didn't have it loaded; I checked.

So the trouble I'm having is that nothing I've added seems to be doing anything for me. To be more specific, "Iallus Basilla" isn't showing up in the cell I put him in, and Julia Basilla is not using the unique greeting I gave her (in the cell she's supposed to say it in.) I would appreciate it if someone would take a look at my WIP and help me figure out where my mistakes are. Thanks in advance!
Attachments
Q7_05.esp
(7.75 KiB) Downloaded 84 times
groza528
Developer Emeritus

Post by groza528 »

Noirgrim took a look and evidently my .esp had duplicated Iallus and the lighthouse cell for some reason; not entirely certain what the dialogue issue is. He figured something was screwy with my .esp so I'm going to restart from scratch. Hadn't done too much yet anyway.
groza528
Developer Emeritus

Post by groza528 »

Same issue three times in a row. Lady_N told me to try it with Stirk as the active mod, and that seemed to work, which is progress, I guess but it doesn't really help me because I can't just edit Stirk for every misc quest. Anyone?
Noirgrim
Developer Emeritus

Post by Noirgrim »

... are you using the public release? You should be using the internal release, which should be an ESM file, not an ESP file.

Whoever uploaded the newest version of stirk didn't make it an esm... I will fix this in a couple hours.
"Noirgrim, (who is accused of working too hard) is the worst kind of modder this project can get." -Ender
groza528
Developer Emeritus

Post by groza528 »

I was using an .esp version of Stirk; Noirgrim helped me to figure that out.
Have just finished, but I haven't tested the quest yet. I'll probably test/clean it this evening when I get home.
Edit: I'm having trouble removing the dependency on Stirk.esm because of my reference to Julia Basilla. As such I have been unable to clean and test. I'm posting the dependent version now; any chance I can get a hand from someone?
Attachments
Q7_05.esp
(19.56 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
groza528
Developer Emeritus

Post by groza528 »

OK, as per Noirgrim's advice I merged this with the Stirk esm and then turned that into an esp. As far as I can tell, that was the best way to handle the problems I was having. So run this in lieu of any other versions of Stirk. Use top file for review.
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

moved to review (yey! Stirk!)
Morden
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morden »

Nice to see this done :)
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

preliminary test:
Everything ran ok as far as I could tell, I managed to get through the quest up until I actually delivered the ingredients. When I fast travelled back to stirk everyone was... um... falling (I have screenshots). Shadowmere also made the journey which I don't recall happeneing before. I don't know if these things are related to the quest or the 80,000 gold bounty on my head I racked up on my murderous cyrodiil wide search for ironwood nuts. It is rather annoying that those silent voice files don't work. An odd occurance for me: I entered the lighthouse right as Julia was unlocking the door to the back room. she stood by the trap door doing nothing. I nudged her out of the room and picked the lock to get to the basement.(I doubt this was what I was supposed to do.) when I emerged from the basement I was told I was trespassing. (perhaps add some time between locking the exterior door and opening the interior door)

I will test this some more tommorow (now that I know where to find those damnable ironwood nuts it should be easier)
Reviewing Administrator

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
groza528
Developer Emeritus

Post by groza528 »

yes, I experienced the same "falling" sensation with the same uncertainty as to whether I'd caused it.
Noirgrim
Developer Emeritus

Post by Noirgrim »

How's this quest coming? Stirk can't move forward until this quest is done. Any help that I can offer?
Andres Indoril
Senior Developer

Post by Andres Indoril »

Test it! :P
[url=http://andresindoril.blogspot.com/][img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/Andres_Indoril/siggyleft.jpg[/img][/url][url=http://www.youtube.com/user/AndresIndoril][img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/Andres_Indoril/siggyright.jpg[/img][/url]
"You guys are no fun, I'll start my own TR with dead children and toy guars!" -Why
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

do my paper for me... (in about 4 hours the paper will be over one way or another, I will review this then)
Reviewing Administrator

Fun is bad - Haplo
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

I can't get it to work. I get the neccesary ingredients then hunt her down and she doesn't get that I have them. on an interesting sidenote, she should really have some new dialog should the player kill her father, no real point in trying to find a cure for a dead man, especially from the one who killed him.
Reviewing Administrator

Fun is bad - Haplo
groza528
Developer Emeritus

Post by groza528 »

Fixes made.
1: She didn't recognize that you had the ingredients because I was checking *her* inventory instead of yours.
2: Iallus Basilla is now immortal until the end of the quest.
3: I added an extra condition to guard dialogue so you can't report Iallus Basilla's illness to a guard in Cheydinhal.

Try it now.
Attachments
Stirk_v086-groza528.esp
(1.1 MiB) Downloaded 9 times
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Stuff I tested:
She now accepts the ingredients

Stuff I still need to test:
Both guard questpaths
actual completion of the pie thing
kill the father
Talk to guards in other cities
Reviewing Administrator

Fun is bad - Haplo
groza528
Developer Emeritus

Post by groza528 »

Ta-da!
Attachments
Stirk_v086-groza528.esp
(1.1 MiB) Downloaded 10 times
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

No further errors relating to this quest found, approving use top file for all later internal Stirk work.