[Morrowind] Public Feedback

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Nanu
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nanu »

If we did anything to the spellbook scripts, it would be adding a yes/no feature. Although Cathartis said that you could remove spells from your list. Don't quote him on that, though.

I can see how it would be a major problem if you can't actually remove spells, and a minor annoyance if you can. I remember there being a mass import/export feature of the CS for scripts. If that were the case, it'd be a pretty quick batch file that would add the option to all the books.
"You can remove spells from your list in Morrowind. I think it was shift-click, don't quote me on that though." - Cathartis
|[url=http://tinyurl.com/mnbsqv]Forum Rules[/url]
|[url=http://tinyurl.com/mj594z]Moratorium[/url]
| [url=http://tinyurl.com/6msxag]Writing for TR[/url]
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

I believe you can remove spells from your list by shift-clicking them. I'll double-check this later, and if it turns out you cannot in fact remove spells I'll see to it that an option not to learn the spell is implemented!
Numenorean

Post by Numenorean »

A small idea concerning Necrom:

What do you think about a special memorial or shrine for all the Indoril nobles who killed themselves after the treaty with Septim?
("By contrast, many Indoril nobles chose to commit suicide rather than submit to the Empire..." or your backstory about Old Ebonheart in this thread -http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=20749&start=160) ?

There are memorials for the wars in the west, the war of the first council, even Alandro Sul, but not this far-reaching, radical event in recent history, which should't be forgotten in the Indoril lands. Or do you plan other references in Almalexia and the Heartland?

Greetings,
- Numen (by the way - you can in fact remove spells by shift-clicking ;) )
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

It's something I definitely want to mention in Almalexia somewhere. Since it's very much bound to this specific House it seemed a bit out of place to have a shrine for it in Necrom, instead of their own capital. But thanks for reminding us ^^
greendogo
TR Tester

Post by greendogo »

Speaking of Necrom, I'm kind of surprised that those big bulky walls (not the skinny kind) and high tower pieces aren't being used for guard towers, barracks and general ordinator bad-assery. Yeah, I see the ordinators have one barracks, and one storage house in the back, and ONE watch tower outside the city. But it's a big city and I'd just expect their holy city would have some better, more spread out, defenses. Because as it is now, it looks like a fairly good place to invade and hold for ransom.

Balmora has more of a guard presence than Necrom does, and I'm not sure how much sense that makes. Maybe add some interiors to each entrance in the outer wall for gate guards to loaf around in and stream out of at a moments notice.

The following pieces never have any interiors (except for the Docks Administration) and seem rather underutilized.
TR_ex_nec_gate
TR_ex_nec_gate
TR_ex_nec_h_02
TR_ex_nec_hwall01
TR_ex_nec_hwall02
TR_ex_nec_tower

Just a suggestion.
Gentlemen, start your striders:
[url]http://tristikov.deviantart.com/art/G-Dunmer-wit-Siltstridaz-dawg-28071455[/url]
hmmmm... I should have looked at this guys DA gallery before posting a link to it... he likes horses... a little too much
Katze
Developer Emeritus

Post by Katze »

Our Necrom wall towers did have interiors once, but they were kinda crappy and boring and got removed. Necrom isn't a frontier town or somewhere anybody expects to be attacked, so it probably doesn't have need for a large military presence.
"If a hermaphroditic, bug-armored, bipolar god-king existing in multiple universes who has his very own bible with *actual* magic strewn throughout it is your idea of a cliche, then I really would like to live in your world." -MK

"You say a lot of things. And how does that work? You're a bicycle"

Tea is important.
Not
Lead Developer

Post by Not »

As you said, the Ordinators there are pretty bad ass. No one would dare attack there!
Not another memory

...And so my bad karma gets worse
greendogo
TR Tester

Post by greendogo »

Well, I'm not just talking about it being attacked - even a relatively safe walled coastal city would have guard-posts at each entrance.

But back to it getting attacked- it is on a frontier, all coastal cities are on a frontier because a fleet from anywhere could attack any coastal town. When Akaviir attacked the empire, they came through the east of Tamriel. I think that the eastern coastal cities would have taken some precautions to prevent a repeat.

You may have your excuses Cat, but it still looks weak. And no one's going to know why it's that way unless they come and ask you about it like I did. Against the backdrop of all the hard work you guys have put into this, it just seems lazy to overlook guard-posts/towers because they didn't look great the first time you did it.

If the interior models look bad why not take advantage of Ashstaar/LiberumAvis/Mwgek to fix them? My one big complaint about Necrom is that it seems too empty, and this would go a long way to rectify that while still maintaining the clean and well-kept nature of the city.

Also, guard-posts/towers are supposed to be boring (but not crappy! :D)

Anyway, that's all I have to say on it. Do what you want, but just know, deep in your hearts, that I think Necrom is ripe for general tom-foolery.
[url]http://tristikov.deviantart.com/art/G-Dunmer-wit-Siltstridaz-dawg-28071455[/url]
hmmmm... I should have looked at this guys DA gallery before posting a link to it... he likes horses... a little too much
Not
Lead Developer

Post by Not »

greendogo wrote:If the interior models look bad why not take advantage of Ashstaar/LiberumAvis/Mwgek to fix them?
Apparently you are not aware of the difficulty that is modeling. Right now we have three active modelers, all of which are super busy working on dres, or other regions we have yet to announce to the public yet.

We'd only be adding to their already towering workload by having them work on additional models for such a low priority such as Necrom.
greendogo wrote:Well, I'm not just talking about it being attacked - even a relatively safe walled coastal city would have guard-posts at each entrance.

But back to it getting attacked- it is on a frontier, all coastal cities are on a frontier because a fleet from anywhere could attack any coastal town. When Akaviir attacked the empire, they came through the east of Tamriel. I think that the eastern coastal cities would have taken some precautions to prevent a repeat.

You may have your excuses Cat, but it still looks weak. And no one's going to know why it's that way unless they come and ask you about it like I did. Against the backdrop of all the hard work you guys have put into this, it just seems lazy to overlook guard-posts/towers because they didn't look great the first time you did it.
Okay, well this is Morrowind, not TW2 or something, the akavir isn't going to start attacking mid game.

The only thing Cat was saying was that we'd rather not put shitty looking guard towers there when the rest of the city looks amazing. It's like putting a really bad stain on a perfectly good rug....or something, I don't know. Point is, we're not going to sit there and add something completely irrelevent when the city already looks amazing enough as is, and the only people that could possibly make new models are already being worked to death as is.
Not another memory

greendogo
TR Tester

Post by greendogo »

Not "completely" irrelevant, but I understand your point regarding modeling. The Dres set has been made and remade and stalled so many times now. Believe me I understand.
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

To me it's not really a models issue. I don't want to militarize Necrom any further than it already is because it's supposed to be a place about the Ancestors, not Ordinators.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Why wrote:To me it's not really a models issue. I don't want to militarize Necrom any further than it already is because it's supposed to be a place about the Ancestors, not Ordinators.
QFT. I haven't visited it in-game since SE was released, but there should be at least as many Ordinators in Mourning in Necrom as there are Hlaalu guards in Balmora. This is a simple fix, though.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
greendogo
TR Tester

Post by greendogo »

Heh, there are way more Ordinators in Mourning inside Necroms walls than there are guards in Balmora. The number stands at 29 (not counting the ones in the lighthouse cell or the two in the guard tower outside the walls) vs. 15 Hlaalu Guards.
Mortimer
Developer

Post by Mortimer »

How many non-temple heads/ordinators are there?

Methinks a lot less
greendogo
TR Tester

Post by greendogo »

Mortimer wrote:How many non-temple heads/ordinators are there?

Methinks a lot less
Alright, here are the Ordinator in Mourning stats for Necrom:
Exteriors:
Upper District 3
Temple Courtyard 2 (one upper, one lower)
(lower) Necrom 1
total - 6

Guard Related Interiors:
Northern Watchtower 1
Watch Barracks 2 + 1 unique
Ordinator Storage Tower 0
total - 3

Outside City walls:
On the Causeway 2 (none on the eastern half)
Waterfront 2
Causeway Watch Tower 2 (has beds for 8 )
total - 6

The rest are in the catacombs, offices or in temples. The siltstrider guy is really far away from Necrom, and that general area is pretty much unguarded, but that isn't unusual or anything.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Hmm, then what did you mean by Balmora having more of a guard presence?
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
greendogo
TR Tester

Post by greendogo »

I meant the density. You'd be hard-pressed to find a spot in Balmora that isn't in view of a guard somewhere. I'm not saying you shouldn't be able to spit without hitting one, but you shouldn't be able to stand still for a solid minute in a wide open spot without having been seen.

For the size of Necrom you really ought to have more than 1 guard in the whole lower district, for starters. And more than 1 guard a piece in the upper and lower Temple Courtyard area.

The Northern Watchtower should have more than 1 guard and the Ordinator Storage Tower should have at least one or enough outside to prevent you from breaking in.

The Eastern end of the bridge could do with one guard (or not - whatever). The siltstrider guy is so far away, it wouldn't hurt to put an ordinator there to watch over that area.

Another thing, why are there 8 beds in the Causeway Watch Tower when there are only 2 guards stationed there? I'm not saying you need more ordinators, but why are there so many beds? You could delete some beds, or put a few ordinators on the stairs leading up to the tower or behind the curtain wall. Either way, why are there so many beds?!

You don't need a massive military contingent there, but if you add them in the right place, it'd definitely feel better when you're running around it.
Last edited by greendogo on Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mortimer
Developer

Post by Mortimer »

I was wondering more of what were the stats of ordinators vs non-ordinators referencing a "militaristic city".

I'm pretty sure from wandering around 80% of its population are ordinators or ghosts.
greendogo
TR Tester

Post by greendogo »

Mortimer wrote:I'm pretty sure from wandering around 80% of its population are ordinators or ghosts.
That was something else I was wondering. Are you guys planning to add more visitors to the city? It's really beautiful, but it feels so empty. Also, the catacombs could do with some mourners and some visitors praying or communing with their ancestors. I think seeing a pack-guar tied up outside somewhere would be neat too, maybe over by the siltstrider or maybe in the city (though guar poop in Necrom might clash with the neat'n'tidy theme going on there). Anything to add to the feeling that people are travelling here, and not many really live here (the hospices and inns really help out in that respect).
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

yes
greendogo
TR Tester

Post by greendogo »

Well, however Necrom ends up regarding future updates, I know it'll be spectacular; I look forward to it!
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

We're never going to be done working on Necrom, are we? :lol:
-Head of NPCs: [url=http://www.shotn.com/forums/]Skyrim: Home of the Nords[/url]
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

It is already spectacular in my opinion.
SIGILLVM COMMVNITATIS DE CIVITATE BERGENSI
alex25
Developer

Post by alex25 »

Yeti wrote:We're never going to be done working on Necrom, are we? :lol:

I'm certain we'll finish it in the next decade... :wink:
Not
Lead Developer

Post by Not »

Nemon even said it himself, "The Alma release is expected within the year 201#," so yeah, we're moving right along :D
Not another memory

greendogo
TR Tester

Post by greendogo »

Nemon wrote:It is already spectacular in my opinion.
Yes Nemon, it is. But I'm talking about the update as a separate entity of spectacularity from which to extract meaning to fill the void of our short and miserable lives.
alex25
Developer

Post by alex25 »

greendogo wrote: Yes Nemon, it is. But I'm talking about the update as a separate entity of spectacularity from which to extract meaning to fill the void of our short and miserable lives.
That entity of spectacular spectacularity is the Almalexia release.
greendogo
TR Tester

Post by greendogo »

City of light, city of spectacularity.

From what I've seen, it's looking pretty good. The only part I would comment on is the walkway to and around Mournhold, which looked a little iffy. But the raised nature of the inner city was really a nice touch. I like being able to see the remnants of the earlier city below.

But yeah, Almalexia is pretty boss; you've outdone yourself yet again.
Numenorean

Post by Numenorean »

In our attempt to translate TR into German, we must read your literature very closely, and so we've also realized that some old texts doesn't really fit into Morrowind... so your "Great Textx Overhaul" is imo a great leap forward. It's no fun to translate awkward, fanfiction-like stuff if you've Obscure Texts in your neighborhood. Imagine for example to find the "Aldudagga" or the "Five Hundred Mighty Companions" near a Nord's hearthfire, somewhere in the Velothi Mountains...

TR_bk_Drakehold_NP is on your list (http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=23843), but not TR_bk_ArkhonLim_NP. I've ever believed him to be the horror of Drakehold - is this just overinterpreted, or is Arkhon Lim waiting for an overhaul too?
Adanorcil
Developer Emeritus

Post by Adanorcil »

Numenorean: When we decided to replace many of the texts in the mod, we divided the extant texts into various categories of priority. The thread about the text overhaul currently only contains those text with absolute highest priority. I'm sure TR_bk_ArkhonLim_NP is in some category not much further down and will therefore be tackled further down the road.
Numenorean

Post by Numenorean »

Some thoughts about TR's new strider creatures:

Riverstrider (TR_act_riverstrider):
Maybe you can add more dialogue about these unique Telvanni creatures... "Silt Strider" has an own topic and dialogues for caravaners, scouts, both savant classes and individuals, but there's no "River Strider" topic at all, even if you speak with therionauts.
Imo, it wouldn't also be bad to have a few more river striders in the Port Telvannis harbor. At the moment, the docks of this large capital have only two striders, as much as the Sadas Plantation, which is maybe disproportional to P.T's size and importance.

Plainstrider (TR_cr_Plainstrider):
This creature is only used three times, at the Sadas Plantation and 2x in leveled lists (TR_LC_plainstider..) for Alendu Plantation and Boethian Mountains, additionally there's TR_m1_tame_plainstrider (2x for Molagreahd). The creature has no topic and is just referred to one time in dialogue, Topic "Sadas Plantation":
Sadas Plantation can be found on the western tip of this island, Vahn Isle. As well as farming netch, they also breed and train the silt striders and plain striders that are so useful for transport. Most people here consider it to be a bit of a backwater.
If the Telvanni breed plain striders on the Isles, the creatures should imo become a more common sight, or is their rarity intended? Nevertheless, they should get imho more background.
TheLexicon

Post by TheLexicon »

I don't know if anyone's brought this up, but I would like to point out that places like Port Telvannis and Firewatch and other port towns should have a couple fisheries, due to their close proximity to water. If there isn't any fisheries in Port Telvannis or any island city, this should be incorporated sometime in the future.
But that's just my opinion, so it's likely completely stupid.
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

I agree about the River Striders, but the Plain Striders are kind of bad, really, and we should consider removing/replacing them.
LikeABosch

Post by LikeABosch »

Well, I said this in introductions, and it was kind of out of place.

The Sacred East just seems a bit uncoordinated, the scripting is flawless, although some journal entries could use some revising to make the questing less, obviously mod generated? Not sure what to call that, just small things like instead of "I activated the crate that the wine was in." (Not a direct quote, just a paraphrase.) To something along the lines of "I found the crate that the wine was in." I understand why the word "activated" was used, but it seems out of place under the circumstance.

You "THE PLAYER" may right that down, but the character you guide, wouldn't. I don't say that without bias, but if you look at many of the journal entries that Bethesda has made for your character to write, it just seemed out of place.

I'll keep an eye out for more of them. I might just open up CS and scroll through them. There was also a small blemish, in my opinion, in one of the keeps, two tables were set up perpendicular to each other, which is unlike any of the other "castle-like" settings I've seen in Morrowind.

I understand that my looking into the journals for these out-of-place words may not be my right, but I'd like to at least send my revisions to someone, anyone that could look them over.

If that is possible, could someone just send me a message on who to send them to when I finally get them done?
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Thanks for the comment on "activated"; that's a bug and we're going to fix it. Bugs like this go into http://www.tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=23356 (journal entries are dialogue for us). What exactly do you mean by perpendicular tables? Are two tables positioned to form a T or Γ?
greendogo
TR Tester

Post by greendogo »

I'm supportive of nixing the plains striders because I honestly didn't get the point of a shorter Silt Strider.

If you're going to put more River Striders into the ports, may I suggest you create some additional River Strider variants? Adding slightly different colors or patterns for wings or chitin would be nice, as well as some pieces presumably added by the striders' Therionauts, like maybe jewelry/decoration or travel kit. I can definitely imagine Dunmer differentiating their River Striders like people do with race cars or boats.

Continuing from my line of thinking with the River Striders, you couldn't go wrong with adding some Silt Strider variants with purely cosmetic changes, like luggage and a sleeping roll strapped to a strider's back, or a lantern or a rain cover over the riding hollow. Tattoos, jewelry or decoration would also not go amiss.
LikeABosch

Post by LikeABosch »

Thanks for the comment on "activated"; that's a bug and we're going to fix it. Bugs like this go into http://www.tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=23356 (journal entries are dialogue for us). What exactly do you mean by perpendicular tables? Are two tables positioned to form a T or Γ?
They were put together to make a T, with a bowl/basket with a piece of colovian loaf in it. The room seemed to favor one table instead of two, or perhaps the tables set up to make a square shape.

Table 1 - [ ] - Table 2

I'll get a screenshot with what interior it is in.
Numenorean

Post by Numenorean »

TR_bk_AffairsOfWizards / TR_bk_ForMyGodsandEmperor, vanilla faction books with new places and names.

Are you planning to include a mainland version of Ordo Legionis, Grasping Fortune, Mages Guild Charter, Fighters Guild Charter, Honor Among Thieves, Fellowship of the Temple (True Noble's Code doesn't mention locations on Vvardenfell) ?

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Faction_Books
Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

Yes, though I think the faction books ought to be rewritten. Like the mainland version of The Affairs of Wizard is exactly the same as the Vvardenfell one except for a few name swaps, yet it has a different author...
Numenorean

Post by Numenorean »

I just visited the Mugan Crypt (Sacred Lands Region, Mages Guild Quest Interview with a Vampire), where something attracted my attention - the vampire names Natasia, Rogoshin, Ferdishano, Alagia sounded familiar, as if they would draw inspiration from a certain masterpiece of russian literature... ;)
Well, just wanted to comment this somewhere, it's a great reference!