q1-62-Mis

After a quest claim has been cleared by a review, the thread will be moved here. Discussion is still allowed.

Moderator: Lead Developers

Lud
Developer Emeritus

q1-62-Mis

Post by Lud »

Claim type: Quest
Claim ID: TR_q1-62-Mis (#1237)
Faction: Misc
Parent claim: TR_1-6-Imp (#18)
Claimed by: Starcrunch
Location: 1:(2527, 2732):0, 2:(2382, 2988), 3:(2365, 1886):2, 4:(2374, 2990):3, 5:(3236, 2219):4, 6:(3904, 930):5, 7:(3243, 2220):6, 8:(2380, 2998):7, 9:(5443, 2079):2, 10:(2350, 1874):9, 11:(5444, 2085)0, 12:(3236, 2219)1, 13:(2340, 1879)2, 14:(3247, 2218)3, 15:(5431, 2088)4
Files: TR_q1-62-Mis_Starcrunch_1.rar

---

Kill the Messenger quest description can be found here:
[url]http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=18013[/url]
"It’s all been such a mistake. We were once little shrew-like animals. That would be so much better."
-Ophelia Benson
Starcrunch
Developer Emeritus

Post by Starcrunch »

Quest Name: Kill the Messenger

Plot Description:
Stage 1: If the PC is level 12 or higher, they stumble onto a dead body (Cell 20, 20), along the road to Bal Oyra. Immediately the PC is attacked by three ambushers (these ambushers are Telvanni and will speak rather than attack if the PC is a marginally well known Telvanni (high rank in TR_Telvanni, or in the TR_Telvanni faction with a decent reputation), they tell the PC to try and draw out the Mages's Guild agents by telling the woman at the Black Ogre about the body). If the PC kills the ambushers, the player can search all four bodies. The ambushers are carrying typical gear, nothing special. On the first (pre-killed) body the PC finds a note. The note contains a cryptic message (it's coded, the player can decode it themselves too!), but the intended recipient is Joslin Stoinles (her location is noted in the address too). She can be found at the Black Ogre in Bal Oyra (she is a mages guild rep). The PC can either choose to give the "cryptic note" to her, or simply bring up the fact that they saw a "dead messenger"

Stage 2a: The PC must be Telvanni to play this portion. The note concerns a Telvanni spy in the Firewatch Guild of Mages. After killing the MG agents in Stage 1 a journal entry suggests delivering the message to Telvanni Council House in Port Telvannis (only for Telvanni). [If they didn't slaughter them, the Telvanni agents will suggest this in the beginning of Stage 1 (they can still play the Telvanni line if they were too low in GH Telvanni to get the hint to trick the MG rep in Bal Oyra and had to kill the Telvanni agents, but it requires initiative)]. In PT the PC can be told they need to take the cryptic message to Mouth Nervile Omayn (the PC already knows this if they talked to the Telvanni rather than fought them). They are asked by Nervile to alert the spy, Vaneris Theneria that her cover is blown. The PC must travel to Firewatch and tell her (she will vanish after the PC leaves this interior and pop up in the Lost Crab in PT). Then the player should return to the PT Council Hall (the dialogue for this request depends a tiny bit on the players rank, low ranks are ordered to do this, high ranks are asked nicely, and Master and higher are told that the matter is urgent and that no one but the PC may reach the spy in time; reward is given to lower ranks; nothing is give for higher ranks). At this point the player may proceed to Stage 3a. Alternatively the player can tell a Mages Guild member about the spy, and be given 50 gold. Returning to Nervile gets the player chastised and does NOT allow the player to proceed to Stage 3a! [It is possible to deliver the message to the Telvanni Council before finishing Stage 1, but the player cannot proceed far into Stage 2a without killing Josilin, delivering the message to the Telvanni kills any opportunity to work for the MG line in these quests (the message cannot be mentions to anyone unless the PC possesses it!), if they fail to trick Joslin and have already given the message to the Telvanni they can kill her in the Black Ogre; this is a crime if they don't taunt her.]

Stage 2b: PC's must be in the Mages Guild to play this portion. It only happens if the PC hands over the message! Joslin (the woman who took the message to) tells the PC to travel to Firewatch and kill the agent (how she asks depends on the PC MG rank; the agent is Vaneris Theneria). The PC can do as requested or allow the agent to escape, she will profess her innocence. After the agent is dead or allowed to leave they should return to Joslin for a reward (unless they are very high up in the guild). The player can choose to tell Joslin they let Vaneris escape if they did so, Joslins response depends on the players rank in the MG, there is no reward if they confess. The player may now proceeds to Stage 3b, even if they tell Joslin they let Vaneris escape, because Joslin no longer believes Vaneris is guilty. Vaneris will NOT appear in the Lost Crab in this quest line as opposed to the Telvanni one.

Stage 3a: This is in the GH Telvanni line. Nervile now tells the PC that it is imperative to discover who the MG spy may be that fingered Vaneris. She tells them to ask Vaneris (who should be in the Lost Crab) who may be responsible. Varneris tells the PC that she makes contact through Gah Sadrith and that the PC should investigate 4 potential MG spies there: Belas Kasihan, Llene Niteria, Nilena Othril, Thelara Tllas (each has a back story Vaneris can as well; they are all in Gah Sadrith and dialogue in town will point out where they can be found). Vaneris will also give the PC a plan to root out the spy. The PC should let slip to each potential spy that a different person in the Firewatch MG is a Telvanni agent. Then the PC is to travel to Firewatch and see who disappears. She also suggests the four potential victims to the player: Absolon, Marcel Artaud, Stand-in-Sun, and Theran Nerne (Vaneris's reason for choosing each as a target can be determined by asking her about them; please remember that she knows them from when she was spying there). The player can drop one name with each potential (sorry, but making it open ended will increase dialogue for this section by at least 64 times so it is preset which false target the player gives to each potential spy). If the player kills any potential spies before dropping ALL the names, the quest ends in failure when they talk to Nervile next. After dropping all the names the PC should go to Firewatch and see who vanishes; asking around with MG members and the general populous will point the player gives to each to the library (they are all in there somewhere). Asking about Theran Nerne on the ground floor will tell the player he hasn't been around for a little while; questioning Marcus Bennelus reveals that he disappeared after having an argument with Gindeman (MG big wig in FW). The player can now kill Llene Niteria at any time, but must finish the investigation of the other possible spies before they will be rewarded by Nervile (each is concluded by speaking to the person who had the potential to be a victim of the plot). Also "latest rumors" has an entry that can play 10% of the time for a short while but cannot constitute proof of anything. The reward is a fairly nice ring, it is constant affect but with only small bonuses to second tier stats (there are better rings out there...). [For the purposes of the investigation, each potential spy is given their own quest in the journal entries].

Stage 3b: This is in the MG line for this quest. When the player gives to each return from killing Vaneris (or allowing her to escape) the Joslin expresses doubt that she was really a spy, and wants the player gives to each to find out if the MG Agent (Llene Niteria) in Gah Sadrith who developed the information is really a double agent. the player gives to each are told to make contact with her in Gah Sadrith (asking around town tells the player gives to each where to find her, in the Wetstone Tavern) and tell her that the MG is investigating a daedric ruin called Kharalambos and that she should determine what the Telvanni know about this site to aid the expedition. the player gives to each are then to go to the site (30, 8) and watch for Telvanni guards (the MG never come this is all just a scam). Two Telvanni guards show up and the player gives to each can kill them or not (it doesn't really matter though they will attack on sight). Report back to Bal Oyra and the player gives to each are asked to kill Llene (or the player gives to each can just go off the bitch). After doing so the player gives to each are given a reward by Joslin of a ring (this one is not as nice as the Telvanni reward, this has to do with the fact that the Telvanni quest is more complicated and the Telvanni generally were the most generous givers of rewards in Vvardenfell, also Nervil is much more influential than Joslin and more likely to have some nice stuff). Kharalambos is near Gah Ouradaruhn and the player gives to each can inquire there for directions to reach the ruin.

EDIT: Updated to reflect submission version.

-Starcrunch
Last edited by Starcrunch on Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
groza528
Developer Emeritus

Post by groza528 »

This quest conflicts with "Which Witch?" (they begin in the same cell.) Unfortunately both have to be near imperial towns which doesn't leave much room for movement in map 1, but I wouldn't mind moving "Which Witch?" to another *map* since it's more flexible in terms of location. I'll check with
Lud.
Also, you may need to change some names with regard to who's in the mages' guild. Absolon, for example, is not in the mages guildhall, but the library. Besides that, I use Absolon in the mages guild questline, so I would request you do not do anything that would kill/move/disable him, nor Hermalian (MG member in TG line) nor Banviris (MG questgiver).
I'm going to rack my brain for another naked nord variant. I think there should be one on every map :)
Imagine my insult to find that "Raw Glass has no effect on you." I became very huffy at the implication that my intelligence could not be lowered further. Then again, I did just eat a piece of glass.
Starcrunch
Developer Emeritus

Post by Starcrunch »

groza528 wrote:This quest conflicts with "Which Witch?" (they begin in the same cell.) Unfortunately both have to be near imperial towns which doesn't leave much room for movement in map 1, but I wouldn't mind moving "Which Witch?" to another *map* since it's more flexible in terms of location. I'll check with
Lud.
Also, you may need to change some names with regard to who's in the mages' guild. Absolon, for example, is not in the mages guildhall, but the library. Besides that, I use Absolon in the mages guild questline, so I would request you do not do anything that would kill/move/disable him, nor Hermalian (MG member in TG line) nor Banviris (MG questgiver).
I'm going to rack my brain for another naked nord variant. I think there should be one on every map :)
Yes, as the description says ALL of the four potential victims of the plot on the Telvanni side are in the library (including Absolon)... Absolon only needs to exist, the PC needs to see that he has remained alive, telling the PC that the person who he planted info with is NOT the spy in GS (if you off him in the MG quest, let me know, any living NPC in FW can be used, for convience I chose all of the NPC's to be in the library). All people connected to this plot that die or are disabled are created as part of the quest, none of them exist right now (as this quest was never merged to my knowledge). Absolon, needs to say one line of dialog in Greetings 1*; he is otherwise untouched (it triggers a JE letting the PC know he is alive, it plays exactly once, only during the investigation phase of this quest where the PC is sent to talk to each potential victim in FW). I don't know who Hermalian is and he has nothing to do with this plot. Banviris will have a tiny bit of dialog (the PC can inquire about various people involved in this quest at the MG, and he is there, all of these are new topics.)

*EDIT: Actually it's greetings 5. It says "How may I help you, %PCName?" and causes a JE to trigger (disabling it from ever appearing again).

-Starcrunch
groza528
Developer Emeritus

Post by groza528 »

Absolon is not killed (At least, he's not supposed to be killed. The last TG quest could involve picking his pocket, depending on whether or not the player is in MG, and if the player is bad at picking pockets they may end up killing him. But they're not supposed to.
Imagine my insult to find that "Raw Glass has no effect on you." I became very huffy at the implication that my intelligence could not be lowered further. Then again, I did just eat a piece of glass.
groza528
Developer Emeritus

Post by groza528 »

And I've already got another naked nord quest in the works, (near PT) so don't worry about Which Witch. We'll find a home for it on a later map.
Lud
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lud »

Granted, and sorry about the delay. I remember liking this quest, back in the day.
Starcrunch
Developer Emeritus

Post by Starcrunch »

Ok, so I've started updating this quest. It's going a lot slower than anticipated, as I'm also reworking the dialog a bit to take advantage of the fact that I actually know a lot more about the dialog linked list than when I first made this quest. I still need to do a naming convention update, and that will probably take another 2 to 3 days, because scripts and dialog results have to be updated manually to match (the filter tabs, for the most part, can be updated by an automated procedure if you rename refs. they refer to [rename and not make a new object!]).

Change to quest: The MG guild member created by this quest that the PC may kill in the MG line has been moved outside the MG to keep her from drawing into conflict the other members of the MG (she starts combat so it won't be considered a crime, and they wouldn't attack the PC, but they could be harmed in the crossfire, especially if area effect magic is applied). She will now appear in the exterior of Firewatch, near the Howling Noose (or another inn/bar) and dialog in the MG will send the PC there to find her.

-Starcrunch
Starcrunch
Developer Emeritus

Post by Starcrunch »

This has now entered testing phase. It'll probably take me 6-8 hours of dedicated time to test all the various contingencies for this quest. I may be able to finish tonight depending on how tired I feel. Submission tommorrow or the next day.

-Starcrunch
Starcrunch
Developer Emeritus

Post by Starcrunch »

SUBMITTED

Merging Instructions:
  • TR_m1_Q62_KtM_GHT_FWSpy --> Place at ~( 4512, 3929, 10064 ) Face: 343 in "Firewatch Palace, Guild of Mages"
  • TR_m1_Q62_KtM_GS_Spy --> Place at ~( 3829, 4556, 15173 ) Face: 166 in "Gah Sadrith, Wetstone Tavern"
  • TR_m1_Q62_KtM_FW_Victim --> Place at ~( 4216, 4625, 8 ) Face: 0 in "Firewatch Library, First Floor"
  • TR_m1_Q62_KtM_GHT_PTSpy --> Place at ~( 3863, 4095, 14384 ) Face: 0 in "Port Telvannis, Lost Crab Tavern"
  • TR_m1_Q62_KtM_MGRep --> Place at ~( 3385, 3757, 258 ) Face: 0 in "Bal Oyra, The Black Ogre Tavern"
  • TR_m1_Q62_KtM_MGRep_F --> Place at ~( 165695, 164973, 424 ) Face: 291 in Exterior Cell: ( 20, 20 ) <-- Lower right corner of the cell, she should face TR_m1_Q62_KtM_Messenger
  • TR_m1_Q62_KtM_MGAgent1 --> Place at ~( 165569, 165189, 424 ) Face: 17 in Exterior Cell: ( 20, 20 ) <-- Near above
  • TR_m1_Q62_KtM_MGAgent2 --> Place at ~( 165605, 164827, 425 ) Face: 172 in Exterior Cell: ( 20, 20 ) <-- Near above
  • TR_m1_Q62_KtM_Messenger --> Place at ~( 165489, 165000, 424 ) Face: 86 in Exterior Cell: ( 20, 20 ) <-- Near above
  • TR_m1_Q62_KtM_GHT_Gurad --> Place at ~( 253066, 72170, 1161 ) Face: 119 in Exterior Cell: ( 30, 8 ) <-- Really anywhere in Karlambos works northern ( 30, 8 ) and southern (30, 9)
  • TR_m1_Q62_KtM_GHT_Gura2 --> Place at ~( 253188, 72185, 1176 ) Face: 222 in in Exterior Cell: ( 30, 8 ) <-- Should be near other guard
-Starcrunch
Lud
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lud »

Moving to review.
Will merge over the weekend.
Lud
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lud »

merged
"It’s all been such a mistake. We were once little shrew-like animals. That would be so much better."
-Ophelia Benson
theviking
Developer Emeritus

Post by theviking »

This beast is done!