q1-68-Tel

After a quest claim has been cleared by a review, the thread will be moved here. Discussion is still allowed.

Moderator: Lead Developers

Lud
Developer Emeritus

q1-68-Tel

Post by Lud »

Claim type: Quest
Claim ID: TR_q1-68-Tel (#1243)
Faction: Telvanni
Parent claim: TR_1-9-Tel (#25)
Claimed by: Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Files: TR_q1-68-Tel_Bloodthirsty Crustacean_1.esp

---

All of these should be available to members of TR_Telvanni, and be activated by choosing the topic "chores" (You can also add extra dialogue for the Mouths asking if you want to do chores, etc)
Faction reputation increases should be 40-50% of that for the same quests on Vvar.(Mainland Telvanni is much bigger)
Available for whoever wants them :)

Mi1: Census
Quest Giver: Nevrile Omayn (Mouth of Master Mithras)
Prerequisites: Member of Mainland Telvanni
Story: Nevrile Omayn tells the PC that Master Mithras recently learned about the Imperial Census. He wished to conduct a census of his holdings at Ranyon Rhun and placed Nevrile in charge. Nevrile, never having done a census, turned to an Imperial (the race!) retainer of house Telvanni in Port Telvannis and dispatched her to Ranyon Rhun to conduct a census. The census was supposed to be submitted a week ago but the Imperial census taker has not returned. The PC is sent to Ranyon Rhun to find out what the hold up is. The census taker is easily found, but has been having trouble determining the occupation and level of income of a particular NPC (not yet specified) because the census taker is Imperial and this person does not like Imperials. The PC should help out (if they don’t and instead return to Nevrile he orders them to go solve this issue). The PC can obtain this information by either talking to the NPC in question (who will help if the PC gets their disposition high enough and the PC is NOT an Imperial) or by speaking to the NPC’s neighbors. After getting the info and reporting to the census taker, the PC is given the census report to deliver to Nevrile. Nevrile pays the PC 50 gold for their trouble.

Mi1: Making Peace
Quest Giver: Nevrile Omayn (Mouth of Master Mithras)
Prerequisites: Mi1 Complete
Story: Nevrile Omayn tells the PC that there has been some recent trouble in Ranyon Rhun. Ratagos the Temple priest has been spit upon by a townsperson in Ranyon Rhun (not yet specified, but it should be no one special). Nervile will explain that, while Mithras is not a devout Temple follower, he likes to have an orderly town, and that requires making the population behave with respect (it’s really very condescending). Nervile doesn’t know the name of the person who committed the “crimeâ€Â￾ but wishes the PC to go to Ranyon Rhun and find out, and have the person apologize to Ratagos and pay a small fine in restitution. Ratagos is reticent to discuss the matter with the PC unless his disposition is high. If the PC raises his disposition sufficiently he’ll name the person who did it. The perpetrator will refuse to apologize, unless the PC orders them to do so in the name of Master Mithras (he writes a letter of apology and gives the PC 25 gold pieces to give to Ratagos). Alternatively the PC can give 100 gold to Ratagos out of their own pocket (to complete the quest the PC must deliver either both 25 gold and the letter of apology or 100 gold). After smoothing things over in Ranyon Rhun, the PC should return to Nevrile for the reward of an enchanted ring (worth about 50 gold pieces, unique but weak).

Dr1: Ingredients!!!
Quest Giver: Malvas Relvani (Mouth of Archmagister Dral)
Prerequisites: Member of Mainland Telvanni
Story: Malvas Relvani tells the PC that Lord Dral is deep in his research and requires a few ingredients. He needs 1 each of the following: scamp skin, daedra skin, void salts, fire salts, and frost salts. When the PC has them he is to return them to Malvas Relvani. Reward is a minor enchanted amulet (unique, but not powerful).

Dr1: Guinea Pig
Quest Giver: Malvas Relvani (Mouth of Archmagister Dral)
Prerequisites: Dr1 Complete; has not begun MQ for Telvanni
Story: Malvas orders the PC to go to Tel Thenim to take part in a test for Lord Dral. The PC cannot refuse this order if they are less than rank mouth. They have a day to comply; failure means the earning the displeasure of Malvas, but Lord Dral does not care as somebody else took the PC’s place. Lord Dral tells the PC some technical crap about the pocket world that basically can be summarized as I have crafted a new realm and I’m sending you to it to see what happens. He casts a spell to “see through the PC’s eyesâ€Â￾ or something of the like, and then send the PC to the pocket realm, where the PC finds themselves completely immersed in water, just before the PC drowns (or after a set time, which ever is first) the PC is brought back to the “realâ€Â￾ world by Lord Dral, who then proceeds to say something along the lines of, “Interesting and unexpected, but not quite right.â€Â￾ He thanks the PC in an absent minded way and hands over a very nice treasure for the PC’s trouble (probably a daedric dagger of some sort, possibly bearing a weak enchantment).

NOTE: The reward for this quest is quite good (and it’s not hard), but many of the other mouth quests feature only paltry rewards, and I see Lord Dral as being a very hit of miss kind of guy; sometimes he gives almost nothing, while at others he rewards obscenely well, and it’s never tied to the difficulty of the task in any way. Also note that I want this to only involve a very simple use of the pocket realm that should be an “impossibleâ€Â￾ situation. Any other ideas for realm design that give a similar feeling are welcome (preferably no combat involved).
"It’s all been such a mistake. We were once little shrew-like animals. That would be so much better."
-Ophelia Benson
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

a tiny room with lava perhaps? disable levitation for the room to ensure the player touches the lava
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
Starcrunch
Developer Emeritus

Post by Starcrunch »

Preferably not, it doesn't have the right contrast of hopelessness and tranquility that I'm trying to achieve. I also want to have the player not realize their peril instantly (which at first many won't if they are trapped underwater, while they will if they are falling toward lava). If the quest maker needs help building this interior I can do it, but a separate interior claim may not make a lot of sense here because most of the work is tied up with the script in putting the PC into the interior and that will dictate this design to a much greater extent than may be immediately apparent (due to stangeness with the PositionCell comand).

-Starcrunch
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Post by Bloodthirsty Crustacean »

I'd be interested in having a crack at these quests.

Is there anything that needs to be 'approved' before hitting the "Claim" button, or can I just do it?

Also, for the Pocket Realm, are there any specific meshes/interior tile-sets I should use?
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals
a man melts the sand so he
can see the world outside

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Lud
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lud »

The pocket realm is up as a separate int claim. I'd actually like if Crunch were to give some thoughts on what exactly he'd like. If you're in the int group, you can claim the int too, of course. :)
"It’s all been such a mistake. We were once little shrew-like animals. That would be so much better."
-Ophelia Benson
groza528
Developer Emeritus

Post by groza528 »

If you're designing the quests yourself you need the design to be approved, but in a case like this you should be fine. If you plan on making any major deviations to the plan you should mention that. Otherwise, just go ahead and hit claim.

Whoops, sorry Lud. Didn't mean to upstage :)
Last edited by groza528 on Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Imagine my insult to find that "Raw Glass has no effect on you." I became very huffy at the implication that my intelligence could not be lowered further. Then again, I did just eat a piece of glass.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Ludovic wrote:The pocket realm is up as a separate int claim. I'd actually like if Crunch were to give some thoughts on what exactly he'd like. If you're in the int group, you can claim the int too, of course. :)
Ah, good. What will the name of that cell be, just so I can create a dummy version for the scripts etc. of my quest? (If I can claim it)

EDIT: (Which I have)

And can anyone give me a brief introduction to the "rules" and "protocols" of quest creation?
Last edited by Bloodthirsty Crustacean on Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

First claim of mine, so I intend to stick pretty much to the fairly comprehensive plan. Any enhancements/changes I make, I will notify you of here. (Or wherever 'tis relevant to do so)
Starcrunch
Developer Emeritus

Post by Starcrunch »

Here is what I propose we do:
The interior claim is very simple to make. As part of it I am going to write a global script that will transport the PC to the pocket realm and then back to Dral. You will need to launch that script from dialog in the quest. The script will take care of everything else (taking the PC to the pocket realm, leaving them there for a few minutes, disabling teleporting, reenabling teleporting, checking and stopping scripted teleporting, and then transporting them back to Dral, where upon my script will terminate.

If you would prefer to do everything that is fine too :P . You'll need to claim the interior and make it (it's bloody easy). The script that runs while the PC is in the interior is a bit trickier than it appears at first, as it should accomplish all of the things above (and taking care of scripted teleporting is quite annoying, I can send you code for this that I used in i1-58 if you need it). If you haven't claimed the interior by 8:00 pm EST I'm probably going to take it, as the whole operation will not take very long and I have time tonight. If you need any help with scripting don't hesitate to shoot me a PM or ask here :) .

-Starcrunch
Lud
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lud »

Granted.
You want the int too?
(Turns out it's just scripting, no real int building)
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

I'll leave the int to the experts. ;)

Oh, and Starcrunch, if you could post the name of the script here (or PM me), just so I can StartScript that when ready, that'd be lovely.

Also, I still need (from anyone) advice on the rules and protocols of quest creation.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

groza528
Developer Emeritus

Post by groza528 »

http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=18016
If you need to know anything else, please ask more specific questions. I, for one, am unsure what you mean when you say "rules and protocols."
Imagine my insult to find that "Raw Glass has no effect on you." I became very huffy at the implication that my intelligence could not be lowered further. Then again, I did just eat a piece of glass.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Yeah, thanks Groza, that thread had everything I needed.

By "rules and protocols" I meant all those little 'quirks' of creating a quest for TR that perhaps a normal modder might not do.

e.g Naming convetions etc.

By the way, as this (faction naming conventions) is not covered in the thread, I am currently using this for my quest IDs

"TR_m1_HT_[Quest ID provided in Claim Thread]"

Does that seem correct for factions?

Also, should I create one .esp for each questline, or one for all four?

EDIT: Also, this line here makes little sense to me

"Nevrile Omayn tells the PC that Master Mithras recently learned about the Imperial Census. He wished to conduct a census of his holdings at Ranyon Rhun and placed Nevrile in charge."

Why would a Telvanni Lord hop on an Imperial bandwagon, or even be 'inspired' by their actions?

Can I create my own reason for this census, or have clarification of the current one?
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

groza528
Developer Emeritus

Post by groza528 »

That is in line with the naming convention I've been using for the Thieves Guild, so I think it's fine. For items I would still use the standard set in the thread I linked; TR_m1_Q_ItemName.

As far as I know it's perfectly fine to come up with your own reason. I've never had trouble with minor changes (like Shabhi's "joke" in Sweet Deal; that was never in the original quest outline.) If you plan a major change, check it with us. If you plan a minor change, just go ahead with it. If you have any suspicion that it will affect something else (especially applicable since you did not design the quests yourself,) mention the change in this thread. I suspect that Crunch, like me, reads all the updates, so if he sees you changing something that's more major than you thought, he'll stop you.

When you submit the quests, submit them as a single esp. If it's easier to work on them separately then go ahead. I usually do miscellaneous quests separately and then use the CS's merge function, but for factions I find it easier to work on them all simultaneously because of the dialogue flag that says "Don't offer TG4 until TG3 is done." Either way, I never clean anything until right before submitting.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Okay, the first quest is now complete, and I've added a slight twist in that the PC can either get the retainer fired for incompetence, or can keep him safe from Nevrile's punishment.

If he's expelled, the PC gets an extra Rep bonus, and can see the retainer at the Black Ogre Tavern in Bal Oyra, drowning his sorrows from that point on.

Also, the racist townsperson is now racist against all non-elves.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Starcrunch
Developer Emeritus

Post by Starcrunch »

Excellent! Getting the guy fired will be fun. Not sure it should get you any extra faction rep, if anything I'd say it should get you less.

For faction rep I've awarded it as follows:
+1 for partial success (if applicable)
+2 for the first quest from the mouth
+3 for the second quest from the mouth

-Starcrunch
groza528
Developer Emeritus

Post by groza528 »

Isn't it easier to keep everything at +5 like Beth did, and just boost the requirements for advancement?
Lud
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lud »

No, because the faction rep also boosts faction reactions, AFAIK.
-Ophelia Benson
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Starcrunch wrote:Excellent! Getting the guy fired will be fun. Not sure it should get you any extra faction rep, if anything I'd say it should get you less.

For faction rep I've awarded it as follows:
+1 for partial success (if applicable)
+2 for the first quest from the mouth
+3 for the second quest from the mouth

-Starcrunch
Thanks for the guide on Fac Rep, and my reasoning for increasing Rep, not decreasing is because you got rid of an incompetent retainer.

Nevrile wasn't best impressed that he didn't have the initiative to just ask one of the guy's neighbours, and hey, these guys are Telvanni. A little back-stabbing gets you a long way in some circles. :P

EDIT: How much leeway am I allowed when it comes to modification of existing NPCs? What I want to do currently is attach a new script to Nevrile (Mithras's Mouth).
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Next quest complete, few changes made, and it's quite simple. Only changes:

Player can short change Ratagos (like a true Telvanni :P)
Player gets less Fac Rep for having given the money to Ratagos themselves, though they get a Fac Rep bonus with the Temple.

EDIT: Dral's first is now completed.

All I'm waiting for now is to be given the Pocket Realm, then I can really get going on Dral's second.
Last edited by Bloodthirsty Crustacean on Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

Bloodthirsty Crustacean wrote:EDIT: How much leeway am I allowed when it comes to modification of existing NPCs? What I want to do currently is attach a new script to Nevrile (Mithras's Mouth).
I think you can. Name your script something like "TR_m1_NPC_Nevrile" or "TR_m1_NPC_T_Nevrile".

Note that you already have a variable of type "short" in his script, that can be used for many basic manipulations, some quite subtle.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Okay, I have now completed all the quests and will move on to testing them as soon as I recieve the Pocket Realm int.

One thing I want a check up on from any lore-types here is my dialogue for Dral's "technical crap" about his realm.

What I have currently is this:
  • Dral: "Shall we begin? Very well. Now, you see, through my manipulation of Magicka flows in the Void, I have been able to stabilize a 'Pocket Realm' that I can craft and manipulate as I see fit. The problem is how to access such a pocket in the Void without the correct morpholith and sigil of a Daedric Prince."

Player: "Do you have a solution?"

Dral: "Ah well, you see, seeing as no Prince resides over my 'realm', that task would be impossible, and thus one would assume so is the sustained transpontine circumpenetration required to achieve transliminal passage of quickened objects or entitities to my realm. But, that wagered against the discoveries of one of my latest investigations."

Player: "What did you discover?"

Dral: "Well, I discovered that the infusion via magickal means of a grand soul gem, a lesser morpholith, with creatia of Daedric origin and then filling the gem with the soul of a greater Atronach, those beings comprised of magicka as they are, helping stabilize my Pocket Realm, would then create a far greater morpholith, resulting in transliminal passages being open between my realm and Mundus. Of course, these are only temporary gates, and are only strong enough to allow the passage of beings who are not et'Ada."

Player: "Fascinating. What is my role in this experiment?"

Dral: "Oh, yes... %PCName. Mmmm. Ah! Yes, sorry my mind was contemplating the probability of infinitessimal duration of hyperagonal media travelling to my realm. But don't you worry about that. You see, what I need is for you to be the first entity ever transported to my realm. Quite an honor, yes? Now, if you just hold still, I will cast a spell to allow me to see through your eyes, and then I can begin the rituals necessary to invoke the conjurational charter at levels that should allow the circumpenetration."

'Stage Directions' (MessageBox): "Archmagister Dral touches your forehead, and his fingers begin to glow. You feel slight pain in your mind, and there is a sensation of double-vision. Archmagister Dral can be seen performing some complex magicks on a deformed soul gem, glowing with power. Before you can speak, you are teleported to Dral's realm."

Does that seem good enough/correct enough?

I also need a name for the quest. I like "Guinea Pig", but it doesn't seem lore correct, and I am stumped to come up with one myself.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Starcrunch
Developer Emeritus

Post by Starcrunch »

Dral is actually quite familiar with pocket realms and how to get to them. This is just a new crafting, i.e. he has made a new region but the results can be a mite unpredictable so the PC is sent in to check it out. The "technical crap" in my description should be pertinent to the crafting of a realm not transport to such a realm. It definitely shouldn't seem that he has only just figured out how to transport a person to a pocket realm. Also he should perhaps be a bit less scatter brained.

Also it occurs to me now that it might be better just to leave it unexplained, and do away with the technical crap; see what Lud says, but it certainly needs to be along a different direction than it is now (focused on realm creation, and not so much as a problem but that such creation is unpredictable, not realm transport). This change is needed to not clash with the fact that Dral's take on the pocket realm is quite different in the MQ (which is a really advanced realm, and two other realm related quests currently in the works; one mine and one Nomadics design that both suggest Dral has been at this business for some time.

Don't use stage directions unless they are very short as it stylistically clashes with Beth's implementation on Vv.

EDIT: Sorry if this isn't that coherent, it's very, very early in the morning here and I haven't slept in a really long time.

-Starcrunch
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Nope, that all makes sense. I'll play around with the technical crap a bit more, possibly cut it down a bit (I was going on about the transport bit so much just because my main resource on creation of/transport to other realms was Liminal Bridges, and I just couldn't resist getting some of it's techno-crap in there to really scare some newbs. :P)

And yes, I was worried he might come across "scatter-brained", but the effect I was actually going for was 'engrossed in studies', but I'll get that sorted.

Finally, where else can I find info on the current forms of the Pocket Realm you were talking about (i.e MQ, other quests), and any lore sources etc. you used to come up with this plotline?

Thanks.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

Bloodthirsty Crustacean wrote: Dral: "Shall we begin? Very well. Now, you see, through my manipulation of Magicka flows in the Void, I have been able to stabilize a 'Pocket Realm' that I can craft and manipulate as I see fit. The problem is how to access such a pocket in the Void without the correct morpholith and sigil of a Daedric Prince."
Use "creatia" instead of "magicka flows".
Bloodthirsty Crustacean wrote:Dral: "Ah well, you see, seeing as no Prince resides over my 'realm', that task would be impossible, and thus one would assume so is the sustained transpontine circumpenetration required to achieve transliminal passage of quickened objects or entitities to my realm. But, that wagered against the discoveries of one of my latest investigations."
That reads a bit like bat treknobabble. Remove some of that.

Also, get whoever is flashing her boobs at Dral to stop, he's too easily distracted ("entititititties"). :]
Bloodthirsty Crustacean wrote:Dral: "Well, I discovered that the infusion via magickal means of a grand soul gem, a lesser morpholith, with creatia of Daedric origin and then filling the gem with the soul of a greater Atronach, those beings comprised of magicka as they are, helping stabilize my Pocket Realm, would then create a far greater morpholith, resulting in transliminal passages being open between my realm and Mundus. Of course, these are only temporary gates, and are only strong enough to allow the passage of beings who are not et'Ada."
Creatia can't be of daedric origin, that's a very big lore violation. Creatia is magicka, it flows from Aetherius. All the magicka/creatia found in Oblivion (or Nirn) originates from Aetherius, and leaked from it. Atronachs are certainly not "comprised of Magicka", they're daedric and thus daedronic.
See [url=http://til.gamingsource.net/mwbooks/itermerels_notes.shtml]See Itermerel's notes[/url]. See also the [url=http://til.gamingsource.net/obbooks/adabala.shtml]Adabal-a[/url] for its mention of Ayleids experimenting with mixing daedrons into living beings.

As a rule, I'd prefer the magic stuff to be more mystical and less like a fantasy version of Star Trek. (Itermerel's note, as such, committed the sin of talking about reversing the polarity. Argh!)
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Gez wrote:<snip>
Thanks for the input, but it appears I was barking up the wrong tree anyway. Starcrunch wants me to have him talking about how he's created a realm, but is unsure what is there.

Any help/lore sources for that kinda techno-crap (re- Pocket Realms) would be nice.

EDIT: Also, would it be okay just to ask the Official ES Lore Forum blokes for some stuff, without mentioning character names etc., or would that be considered 'leaking important information'?
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Starcrunch
Developer Emeritus

Post by Starcrunch »

If the dialog for "technical crap" doesn't end up working, it's quite all right just to drop it and have Dral just get down to business.

The jist of it is realm creation is tough work, and inital results are unpredictable. The PC is sent to make sure the environment is suitable; if so Dral can enter the realm and make changes as he see fit, but creating the realm "from the outside" makes control difficult so there is always risk when a new pocket realm is created that is won't go as designed.

Also, a term for "pocket realm" that isn't so evocative of BG2:ToB would be nice. Suggestions?

-Starcrunch
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Starcrunch wrote:If the dialog for "technical crap" doesn't end up working, it's quite all right just to drop it and have Dral just get down to business.
I'm keen to have some in there, just to show off how crazily clever these Telvanni Lords are, and to scare newbs with crazy techno-speak. :P

Also, any thoughts on whether I could ask the Official ES Lore Forummers for any help writing the techno-crap (as long as I keep what I say spoiler free)?
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

El Scumbago
Developer Emeritus

Post by El Scumbago »

The way I see it, Dral has uncovered the very secret of engineering permanent portals to other realms, and his talk of anchoring these portals so that they don't vanish reminds me a lot of Oblivion's Gates. Specifically;
There was some talk in Oblivion about how could permanent portals be created, since there has never been the ability to make such things, and passage from the realms of Oblivion to the realm of Nirn is quite a rare phenomenon. In other words, Dral is able to make the equal to the Sigil Stones, much like Martin Septim created one in the end of the MQ. So, my point is that it may be too much for Dral to possess such knowledge. Except, of course, if I didn't understand correctly, and what he creates isn't a permanent gate.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

El Scumbago wrote:The way I see it, Dral has uncovered the very secret of engineering permanent portals to other realms, and his talk of anchoring these portals so that they don't vanish reminds me a lot of Oblivion's Gates. Specifically;
There was some talk in Oblivion about how could permanent portals be created, since there has never been the ability to make such things, and passage from the realms of Oblivion to the realm of Nirn is quite a rare phenomenon. In other words, Dral is able to make the equal to the Sigil Stones, much like Martin Septim created one in the end of the MQ. So, my point is that it may be too much for Dral to possess such knowledge. Except, of course, if I didn't understand correctly, and what he creates isn't a permanent gate.
Yep, I realised that, and so I did mention that these were temporary gates, and also could not allow any et'Ada through due to their artificial nature. (But I need to redo my whole techno-crap again, though, so that's probably not worth that much)

However, it is kinda important that Dral does have this knowledge, as the Pocket Realm is (as far as I'm aware) wrapped up with Map 1's Main Quest.

Also, it would make lore sense, as apparently the Telvanni have no trouble working out how to shut Oblivion Gates when they start opening in Morrowind. (Unlike the Empire and it's Mages) We can therefore assume they probably have had some kind of experience with such portals.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

El Scumbago
Developer Emeritus

Post by El Scumbago »

True, they are think-tanks according to lore. My bad.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Just like to ask again, where else can I find info on the current forms of the Pocket Realm you guys were talking about (i.e MQ, other quests), and any lore sources etc. you used to come up with those plotlines?

Also, any word on whether I could ask the Official ES Lore Forum bods for further help with the techno-crap?

And finally, I still have no word on the int for Pocket Realm, so don't worry that I have got stuck. I am just waiting for Thrig/Lud to turn back up from wherever they are in RL right now so that they can give me the int.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Starcrunch
Developer Emeritus

Post by Starcrunch »

TF is on Spring Break. You may not have it until next week, sorry. The more I think about it the more I think we should cut the technical crap, but I leave the decision to you. You can ask at ESF if you want, but it may not really do you much good... Even the lore forums are pretty much full of morons these days (a few dedicated posters aside, who may or may not bother to answer this). The pocket realm needs a new name (as in I don't think any in game dialog should refer to it as "the pocket realm").

-Starcrunch
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Starcrunch wrote:The more I think about it the more I think we should cut the technical crap, but I leave the decision to you.
Personally, I think it would be fun to do, and create a memorable "TR moment".
The pocket realm needs a new name (as in I don't think any in game dialog should refer to it as "the pocket realm").
How much work has been done regarding it by Lud for the Map 1 Main Quest though? Any name check would probably need to go through him first, and then I'd stick it in my mod later.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Lud
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lud »

The way I'm doing it for the MQ is that Dral simply calls the pocket realm his own personal sanctum and just happens to drop the fact that it's not on Nirn into conversation. He should be very vague, just mentioning that he was doing some research, etc. The pocket realm will crop up again a few times, so it'd be nice to have it kept nice and vague.
-Ophelia Benson
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Ludovic wrote:The way I'm doing it for the MQ is that Dral simply calls the pocket realm his own personal sanctum and just happens to drop the fact that it's not on Nirn into conversation. He should be very vague, just mentioning that he was doing some research, etc. The pocket realm will crop up again a few times, so it'd be nice to have it kept nice and vague.
Right, so it should be fairly implicit that he's sending you to a 'pocket realm', and he shouldn't spell it out for the player? And should the creation of a realm be something he's experienced in, or is this him "pushing the boundaries of magickal knowledge" for the first time?

Also, what are your pocket realm cells called, and what lore etc. did you use (if any) to come up with the whole idea? Basically, anything I could use for the techno-crap section, unless, of course, you don't want that included.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Lud
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lud »

There's a thread on pocket realms in the lore forum, which is where all the lore behind this was collected.
Dral has been making new realms for a while, he should just refer to this one as a new experiment.
I'm just going to call my own realms "Dral's Sanctum" or something along those lines.
I think that you should leave out the technobabble entirely. Make Dral as uncaring and dismissive as possible. Read the thread to know what you're on about, then just hint at this stuff.
Have fun!
-Ophelia Benson
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Right, thanks for that.

As it stands, here are Dral's various pieces of dialogue. Seeing as he's an important character, I thought you might want to check all this is in line with what you'd imagined:
  • Ah, %PCRank. Are you the one that Malvas sent to aid me in my vital experiment?

You are? Very well. You need not know all the details, so here is what you really need to know. Through my experiments with concentrated kaleidocules [I wanted to get some crazy stuff in there :P, but if this really needs to go, I'll take it out], I have been able to forge a Sanctum for myself where I can study without interruptions. However, in the early stages of such a crafting, one never knows what one might encounter within a new realm, before the real work can proceed. That's why I need you.

I will cast a spell that should allow me to observe your movements. Then, I will transport you to my realm, where I shall observe its current condition. Now, hold still...

[POCKET REALM BIT]

Fascinating, just fascinating, but yet not what I had desired. Hmmm, yes some reward would be fitting for you. Here, take this trinket... Leave me now, I have some important work to attend to.

[POST-QUEST DIALOGUE]

Hmmm? Listen, I have more important things to consider. Suffice to say, Malvas sent me a volunteer, and my studies have been furthered. [THIS SAID IF YOU DID NOT HELP]

Hmmm? Yes, as you know, it all went very well. [THIS SAID IF YOU DID HELP]
Anyway, I am now just waiting for the int (which I'm going to name "Dral's Sanctum, Heaven's Abyss", if that's okay?) and then this is done.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Starcrunch
Developer Emeritus

Post by Starcrunch »

Be sure to fix up the script I included if you rename the cell. The interior is now in completed interiors.

Link: http://www.tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=18257

-Starcrunch
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Okay, here is the file.

I have done brief testing, but would like someone else to have a check too. I think I've got most everything, but I'll do a more thorough check tomorrow.

Known bugs: My "one day" timer for Dral's second quest does not work, and I'm unsure why. Please somebody have a look, when you have the time.

IMPORTANT: Because this is the clean .esp, no refs are included.

You must "PlaceAtPC" these items:

"TR_m1_q_MalvasMarker" in the Telvanni Council House: Chambers.

"TR_m1_q_Cartil_Florius" somewhere in Ranyon-ruhn.

Thankyou all for your help. :)
Attachments
bcaj.png
bcaj.png (42.52 KiB) Viewed 4486 times
Last edited by Bloodthirsty Crustacean on Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals