i3-500-Imp

Moderator: Lead Developers

Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Post by Bloodthirsty Crustacean »

In his journal he's a maniacal lunatic, not a respected dude with a huge lab. In any event, it'd be funnier to stumble upon as an easter egg in a random dishevelled house in OE town. But eh.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals
a man melts the sand so he
can see the world outside

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Actually he was under cover, and a simple newcomer to the land such as the player wouldn't be able to see through the guise, like all brilliant inventive minds (da Vinci) so that those who snoop upon his work will not uncover his great secrets. He was in fact one of the greatest Argonian mages of the 3rd era, and you can tell by the quite extravagant clothing he is wearing (it even has extravagant in the IDs). The folks at the castle didn't announce his presence or work there, for fear of him being stolen/killed/turned, etc.

And yes, I meant to say Argonian. The colovian fur helm is just to help add to the disguise. If you check his ID, it says argronian guy (Argonian guy), and his spells are the two Argonian spell attribute things. So you could potentially work to uncover a huge secret of a not-Imperial Argonian mage in Old Ebonheart that officially doesn't exist, probably under the nose of the Mages Guild in the castle. His lab would probably be a secret, known only to the duke or the consul and the head of the guard, maybe one or two others.

Top Secret Stuff.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

You have totally sold me on this plan.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

working on this since I finished i6-1. added a set up for a dice game in the upper west tower, might make a fun thing to do. Point is to get the dice into the cup or the basket from a toss at the books, knock the cup over and lose all your points, land elsewhere is just a dead die. This would of course by done mathematically by calculating stats and random numbers. If this is actually followed through with then the items should be replaced with no-pick up versions.

(Cup is worth considerably more than the basket)

[url=http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b94/ThrignarFraxix/DiceGame.jpg]Click me for a picture[/url]
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

been busy, need something to strike me with inspiration. Job hunt, odd jobs, and other RL factors are not helping.
Reviewing Administrator

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
cire992
Reviewer

Post by cire992 »

When I need some ideas or inspiration, I look for stock photos and try to replicate it in the CS. Kind of crude, but it works for me.

http://www.worldofstock.com/closeups/AIN1812.php
http://www.worldofstock.com/closeups/TET1263.php
http://www.worldofstock.com/closeups/ADT5007.php
http://www.worldofstock.com/closeups/AIN1809.php
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

This needs an update

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

I'll open this up today and see what happens.
Reviewing Administrator

Fun is bad - Haplo
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Did anything happen?

Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

A little something happened. Probably going to give this some time today.
Reviewing Administrator

Fun is bad - Haplo
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

3 curtain wall cells, the quarters of the Dres Duke, and the super sekrit records room until I move to the main tower. Can't believe how much I have done, mainly thanks to the people who did shit for me (Thanks again, 12 cells of the current 42 were not done by me)

Cell count updated on page 2.

On that note, I probably ought to get more of those texts.

edit: New WiP uploaded, take a look at all dat shiz
Reviewing Administrator

Fun is bad - Haplo
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

iz it rly 60%

Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

yes. Figure the final cell count to be 60-65, and I have 42 done.
Reviewing Administrator

Fun is bad - Haplo
RelinQ

Post by RelinQ »

Hey there,
I thought you might like to know, While I was looking at your makshift ovens last night, I noticed in your Summerset Embassy, one of the round rugs is seeming just a little bit. & also in the Valenwood Embassy the rug under the dinning table is slightly doing the same.

Eitherway Thrig, You've done some nice work :) I like how each Embassy has its own thing going, and who'd a thought the Legion training hall would have so many dummies, lol.

This is going to be a fun place to explore.
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

the custom stove I made, and that I recommend you use for inspiration is the one in the IC tower's restaurant thingy. I didn't make the embassies, which is why they have their own thing going and I will look into those errors. Also, why wouldn't the training hall have as many dummies as it has?
Reviewing Administrator

Fun is bad - Haplo
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

I have no idea what that seeming thing you are talking about is. Also, I finished the Dres Duke's Quarters. This means I've finished the west tower. With the top of the records tower on hold until I get that lit done and taken care of this means I'm on to the next building... which is the main tower! Holy fuck I'm finally there and it only took me 2 years! There is still the dockside complex after that, but a prison, bar, and naval office will be childs play after this baby.

Just a reminder, the main tower cell is 11 floors of impbig pieces. with pieces cut out for the lower level it currently sits at 655 refs. (just shell) I finally have all the space I want to go crazy and show what the imp set can do!

(This pointless ranting means I am excited, ignore it if you want)
Reviewing Administrator

Fun is bad - Haplo
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Exciting! Any chance of a WIP file uploaded?

Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

New WiP uploaded. Take a looksee
Reviewing Administrator

Fun is bad - Haplo
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Tidied up the lower atrium so the walls look better, but without the ugly exterior pieces the wall is flat and blank.
[url=http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b94/ThrignarFraxix/AtriumWall.jpg]Normally I'd use a tapestry, but that would be like putting a band-aid over the bloody hole where someone's torso used to be.[/url] I got to thinking that a GIGANTIC tapestry would look pretty damn cool taking up that space and would make for one of the more memorable parts of this castle. Any chance that a MONSTER tapestry could be made? I don't know what could possibly go on a tapestry that big, but that is what creative people are for.
Reviewing Administrator

Fun is bad - Haplo
RelinQ

Post by RelinQ »

Hey that screenshot looks pretty cool. Old Ebonheart is looking like a very interesting place.

I like the idea of the huge tapestry as well, something dramatic but pleasantly coloured would look MAD. 8)

Im thinking the picture on the tapestry could be a depiction of a very nobel looking guard piercing some horrific looking creature with a spear, with trees and moon or sun light in the background. And maybe the person in the picture should be Tiber Septim...?, Just an idea.
(I may... take a stab at the texture (picture))
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

bayeux tapestry

done.

Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

That would be perfect. (A huge tapestry depicting an imperial take on their actions in morrowind thus far)
Reviewing Administrator

Fun is bad - Haplo
Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

I'm guessing we have a number of CA's who would love to design it.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

I made a request thread in CA here:

http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?p=282133#282133

Hopefully it'll come right along, now.

Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

I can't wait to see what comes up.

Also, tonight in my desire to do something, yet lack of creative skill do to travel fatigue, I have found and solved a problem.

PROBLEM: Food is on the 1st floor, Guvna is on the (counting as small tiles, not large) 22nd. How the bloody fuck does food get up there quickly (and to the floors in between) while remaining secure.

Solution: Service stairs cell to link the top and the bottom (and everything in between). Security points outside doors ensure restricted access. Hidden stairs continuing further provide the governor with quick emergency access to the docks (link pending space figuring). Currently, this is the most boring cell in TR, with 20 spiral staircases and 11 normal.

And now sleep.
Reviewing Administrator

Fun is bad - Haplo
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

TF, huge spiral staircases can be repetitive. What are the odds you could jerry-rig one of those 'service lifts' that you get in fancy hotels in movies, where the butlers put the food and it gets hoisted up. (And the player could sneak aboard for the Thieves Guild!) Might be more interesting than a hugeass staircase.

In its raw elements basically a large empty column with a couple of those hanging platforms from Dagoth Ur in. It could even be scripted to move up and down at different times of day.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

That Dagoth platform is very plain and uses generic wood textures. I don't find it unthinkable to thing this would be used.

BC Note: That's slightly garbled, but I wasn't suggesting that would be all. It could be embellished and modified with all the cunning of an interiorer. The long ropes might be useful though. Not making a new post just 'cos it was only an idea and we don't need a back-and-forth discussion here about what's up to TF.
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

I had considered doing that, but a dumbwaiter doesn't seem like it would work well for stops in between. Also, a HUGE ass straight drop with a single platform seems like it would be more boring that a HUGE ass spiral staircase.
Reviewing Administrator

Fun is bad - Haplo
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

I really don't like the spiral staircase thing being just nonstop stairs... going up three flights already takes 5 minutes. Is there anyway to make the staircase exciting? Perhaps have 1-tile alcoves along the way to stop/rest/steal 250 iron arrows or something. I cannot stress enough how much I'm for a dumbwaiter system and against stairs. Levitate or something at least.

Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

lol mages guild esque teleport.

Dumbwaiter just seems sloppy and not good. Gigantic free drop would certainly make the escape route better (with slowfall potions) but wouldn't much help with getting food up there.

My main problem is that I want to limit the space it takes up. In order to reach the top, it has to be near the center, making it difficult to work around existing areas. I don't want this path to limit my ability to make the rest of the castle.

A dumbwaiter is too small to carry people, so if anything it would have to be an elevator. This seems a bit high tech though if you ask me.
Reviewing Administrator

Fun is bad - Haplo
Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

It's as simple as the cranes we have in Firewatch docks... Just a system with weights and pulleys etc.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

dumbwaiters aren't sloppy at all. Their elegance is their simplicity. If it's a big enough platform, it can hold as much weight as the person holding the ropes can bear, kids often hide in them or use them as little midget elevators. but as far as tech goes, it's Tamriel d00d. I'm sure this could be supported by the bit of magic that got Tarhiel his job at the castle or something. Or go the Dwemer route if you want. Or both.

Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

And also remember that Tamriel is a world with goggles and airships and astronauts, whatever Oblivion might have you believe. ;)

If done credibly, a 'lift' would be very cool, but it would be hard to make it not look strikingly out of place and modern and simultaneously not a 'castle room that moves'. I still quite like the idea of a dumbwaiter. But whatever suits you.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Got an elevator shaft done. I've begun divying up the space in the main tower. I noticed a doorway on the into the main tower from the ground on the north side. I'd like that removed.

Going to add a few more NPCs to the list soon as I've got a few more jobs to fill.

Edit: Holy god my brain is dead. I just spent the last few hours carving cells out of the main tower. Now to add those NPCs.
Reviewing Administrator

Fun is bad - Haplo
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

cut out another 2 cells today. Total is up to 62. This will definitely be over 70 by the end.
Reviewing Administrator

Fun is bad - Haplo
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Is it still at 60%?

Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

yes. Just because I am splitting out cells doesn't mean they are done.
Reviewing Administrator

Fun is bad - Haplo
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

To be fair, I thought "cut out" could be some weird Midwestern hick slang for "I did."
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Split out a cell that will be the lower level dining hall. Also put a bunch of holding cells before what is slated to be the court room. (This will be split out tomorrow, or whenever I get the rest of that floor layout figure out)

After I finish the 4th floor, I'm putting in my massive indoor garden (taking up the entire 5-6th floors). By my figuring it will be most impressive. After that? Offices!

edit: new WiP posted. lol 1.2mb for a clean interior claim
Reviewing Administrator

Fun is bad - Haplo
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

split out another 2 cells, including the indoor garden.

A couple shots of the undecorated cell:
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b94/ThrignarFraxix/ScreenShot0-1.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b94/ThrignarFraxix/ScreenShot1.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b94/ThrignarFraxix/ScreenShot2.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b94/ThrignarFraxix/ScreenShot3.jpg

As you can see in some of the screenshots, I have been using Cire's grass piece thingy. While it works great on small scales, you can see it isn't so good for large scale things. An alternative to this would be much appreciated.
Reviewing Administrator

Fun is bad - Haplo