q1-76-Tel

Moderator: Lead Developers

theviking
Developer Emeritus

Post by theviking »

Thanks for the update. I know that the university can be busy, its still nice that some work has been carried out for this claim.
Interiors: 25
Reviews: more then 250!
Quest Reviews: 3
NPC claims: 2

Currently looking for quest designers.
theviking
Developer Emeritus

Post by theviking »

It's two months later, can you show us some progress?

theviking
Developer Emeritus

Post by theviking »

revoked because of absence of the claimer.
Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

This quest should better be implemented as the last of map 1 quests, because it contains interaction with many NPC's whose background might have (and actually did) change due to other quests. So the maker will have to use un-used NPCs not to make some logical shortcomings.
THEO
theviking
Developer Emeritus

Post by theviking »

That should not be the case, Theo. Most of the NPC's that actively feature in the quests have to be created by the claimer.

Stryker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stryker »

I know, I know. I already have a quest claim. But this one has been in unclaimed for quite a while, and, correct me if I'm wrong, this is higher priority than the wilderness quests of Map2. Besides, I'm at a bit of roadblock on my Map2 quests.
I think I'd be capable of doing/learning anything that is needed for this quest. (Hopefully I know enough already though)

I certainly have enough time to focus on them both. [/pleading case] :P
theviking
Developer Emeritus

Post by theviking »

Granted, this one has a higher priority than the map2 claim you have, so it's nice to see it claimed. This quest claim is a bit more diffcult so if you need any help, please ask.
MMMowSkwoz
Developer

Post by MMMowSkwoz »

Probably not my place to say it, but since there's been a bit of input from Lud on this design since the last write up, it might be a good idea to just clarify it again and say exactly what the plan is.

Great to see this get out of Unclaimed :)
MaMeeshkaMowSkwoz - choose your syllables
Stryker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stryker »

Its probably going to take me a little time to get a plan up for this (for how I'll implement it). I also want to wander around Map1 a bit, and get more adjusted to the locations. Since its a more important claim I feel like it'll help me out a bit.
So if someone can either post anything I need to know, or just link me to it that'd be awesome. :)
Haū! Omochikaerī!

Interior Reviews: 168
Stryker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stryker »

After many weeks of a stall progress is speeding up on this, which is awesome. :D I'm nearing the completion of Varnes Eram's side of the apprentice quest.

Mostly my question is, what would be the best way to implement the possibility of being able to recommend any of the candidates?
Right now I have it as a global variable (TR_m1_q76_apprentice) which controls who was last spoken to. This variable will be set to a certain number everytime you speak to a candidate about 'apprentice' after seeing their demonstration. ie, 1 for Varnes Eram, 2 for Malethan Ilnene and so on.
And the last candidate you speak to is the one you'll be talking to Mistress Faruna about.

I realize this probably isn't the best way to do it, which is why I'd like suggestions on how to do it better. :) Or if it is then I'll just keep going on full speed...

Hopefully I explained everything well enough, if not I can try to explain it better.
Haū! Omochikaerī!

MMMowSkwoz
Developer

Post by MMMowSkwoz »

I might just create a topic for each person who wants the job (what is that, 6 topics?). But that's mainly because I hate global variables. However, I also had a bit of a play and came up with this:

This method only uses one topic. It gives you a yes/no option for recommending each candidate in turn. Could be a bit tedious if you've asked all the candidates and only want to recommend the last (you would need to click no to all other candidates before you could say yes to the last). Anyway, here it is:

Give Faruna a variable for each candidate and have her script as follows:

Code: Select all

Begin script_name

short candidate1	;change this to candidate name or whatever
short candidate2
short candidate3
;etc..

if ( candidate1 == 0 )
	if ( GetJournalIndex "candidate_1_journal_ID" > X ) ;when the candidate has agreed
		set candidate1 to 1
	endif
if ( candidate2 == 0 )
	if ( GetJournalIndex "candidate_2_journal_ID" > X )
		set candidate2 to 1
	endif
if ( candidate3 == 0 )
	if ( GetJournalIndex "candidate_3_journal_ID" > X )
		set candidate3 to 1
	endif

;etc...

endif

End
Remember to add in all the usual TR NPC stuff too.

Then have your initial dialogue entry ("Do you have a candidate for me?", or something), with this in the results box:

if ( candidate1 == 1 )
	Set candidate1 to 2
	Choice "Present candidate 1", 1, "Present a different candidate", 10, "I have no candidate to present.", 11
elseif  ( candidate2 == 1 )
	Set candidate2 to 2
	Choice "Present candidate 2", 2, "Present a different candidate", 10, "I have no candidate to present.", 11
elseif  ( candidate3 == 1 )
	Set candidate3 to 2
	Choice "Present candidate 3", 3, "Present a different candidate", 10, "I have no candidate to present.", 11

;etc...

else
	Choice "I have no candidate to present.", 11
endif
Then add a dialogue entry above this filtered for choice=10 with some filler response ("Yes? Who?" or something) and put exactly the same thing in the results box as you did with the last entry.

Finally, add the relavent responses for choice=1, 2, 3, ... and 11, and put this in the results box of all of these:

if ( candidate1 == 2 )
	set candidate1 to 1
elseif ( candidate2 == 2 )
	set candidate2 to 1
elseif ( candidate3 == 2 )
	set candidate3 to 1

;etc...

endif
Obviously fill in all the 'candidate 1' busines with their real names. I tested it quickly and it seems to work, but it might be a little cumbersome with lots of candidates.
Stryker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stryker »

Lots more progress done, which is very good. :)
I hope to have a WIP up later this week.

But here is the problem, for one of the NPCs I've been trying to get him (Malethan Ilnene) to cast levitate and walk in the air a bit, as a demonstration. Just, walk into the air and walk back, thats it.
I've often heard of how difficult AITravel can be, so I figured it'd be best to start learning it now.

So here the part of the script:

if ( spellnum == 2 )
		if ( doonce == 0 )
			Cast, "levitate", TR_m1_q_76_Malethan
			set doonce to 1
		endif
		if ( travel == 0 )
			AITravel, 337975, 143379,1024 ; travel forward slightly, to demonstrate the levitation
			set travel to 1
		elseif ( travel == 1 )
			if ( GetAIPackageDone )
				set travel to 2 ; once done head to next one
			endif
		elseif ( travel == 2 )
				AITravel, 338186, 142811, 0 ; travel back to the ground
				set travel to 3
		elseif ( travel == 3 )
			if ( GetAIPackageDone )
				set travel to 4 ; once done head to journal update
			endif
		elseif ( travel == 4 )
			Journal, TR_m1_HT_Fa3a, 20 ; update journal appropraitely
			SetHello, 30
			set travel to 5
		endif
He walks into the air, but never walks back. I put a message box right before the second AITravel line and it appeared, so it obviously gets to that part.
But he never goes back and I just get the journal entry.

I'm sure theres a problem somewhere in my script, so if someone could point it out that'd be cool.
If its needed I'll upload a WIP for you too look at.

Edited for the sake of clarity, because I type too fast.
Haū! Omochikaerī!

MMMowSkwoz
Developer

Post by MMMowSkwoz »

I can't see anything wrong with that at all. What are his starting coordinates?
Stryker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stryker »

338275, 143355, 952, thats in the CS. Ingame he's probably at about 860 Z height.
I uploaded a work in progress so you can take a look at it. Varnes Eram's side works out pretty good so far, so I suppose you could test that out and tell me if anything needs major fixing. It doesn't work out all the way to the end, obviously, but I think its working out pretty good up to that point.
Also do tell about what you think of the dialogue, I don't think I did such an awesome job with Faruna's character and some of the other characters, so some input on how to improve it would be helpful. :)

But anyways, for this problem just go to Port Telvannis and do:

Journal, TR_m1_HT_Fa3, 10
addtopic apprentice
addtopic demonstrate

in the console and you should be able to test it out on him.

By the way, is it wrong that this plugin has a dependency on Map2? Considering I didn't do anything with it, though, it should be easy enough to take off, right?
Attachments
TR_q1-76-Tel_Stryker_1.esp
(56.34 KiB) Downloaded 120 times
Haū! Omochikaerī!

MMMowSkwoz
Developer

Post by MMMowSkwoz »

Stryker wrote:338275, 143355, 952, thats in the CS. Ingame he's probably at about 860 Z height.
That might be causing some problems then since your AITravel command tells him to go to coordinates quite far beneath the ground, no?

I have a busy week this coming week, but will try to find time to have a look at this one evening.
Stryker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stryker »

Actually, where he is placed at first is on a hill, then he's supposed to walk onto the road. So, in theory it shouldn't be going under the ground.
I'll give this a try in a bit, perhaps tomorrow, and see if I am messing something up with the coords. (Which very well may be the problem).

And its no rush, MowSkwoz, this isn't vital to finishing up the quest, so I don't need it done soon. :) I have the whole rest of the claim to finish before this is really needed.
Haū! Omochikaerī!

Stryker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stryker »

viking, I have a question or two concerning the quest design.
theviking wrote:The interview goes well enough, Malethan shows basic knowledge of magic, demonstrates a few simple spells. Faruna will accept him when the PC consults her. The PC can now return and tell him he has the, he will appear in Tel Oren if the player visits inside of 1 week and disappear from his current location (which will be an exterior in Port Telvannis). Faruna pays the PC 150 gold for finding the apprentice (regardless of what happens, even if Malethan has since died). After a week has gone by the Malethan will no longer be in Tel Oren (if the PC has not visited he simply never appears and Faruna explains what happened). Faruna will tell the player he died in an accident involving one of her plants (he is meant to be a bit careless, she didn't murder him). Nothing further happens, and Faruna has decided she doesn't want another apprentice. Long term prospects for getting Faruna to step down while remaining on good terms with her are dashed.
I'm afraid I really don't clearly understand this whole part of the design. I want to make sure I don't screw anything up, so some clarification would be nice.

On another note, progress is going well. I'm going to start working on the Eindari twins side.
I so far am implementing demonstrations for everyone, and a bit after that. And then once that is done I'll tie everything together and hopefully have a functional WIP ready.
Haū! Omochikaerī!

theviking
Developer Emeritus

Post by theviking »

The interview goes well enough, Malethan shows basic knowledge of magic, demonstrates a few simple spells. Faruna will accept him when the PC consults her. The PC can now return and tell him he has the job, he will appear in Tel Oren if the player visits inside of 1 week and disappears from his current location (which will be an exterior in Port Telvannis). Faruna pays the PC 150 gold for finding the apprentice (regardless of what happens, even if Malethan has died already). After a week has gone by the Malethan will no longer be in Tel Oren. If you return to Faruna, she will tell the player he died in an accident involving one of her plants (he is meant to be a bit careless, she didn't murder him). Nothing further happens, and Faruna has decided she doesn't want another apprentice. Long term prospects for getting Faruna to step down while remaining on good terms with her are dashed.

Stryker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stryker »

Yeah, I've made progress but I've hit another snag.

When trying to move an NPC (Tenen Eindari, in this case) from the exterior of Ranyon-Ruhn to Tel Oren Tower, everything appears to work fine. Until you try to speak to him, then the game crashes, like literally crashes.

I've uploaded another WIP so someone can take a look. But, its buggy, its dirty and not recommended that you test anything else yet.

To do this part, just type:

Journal TR_M1_HT_Fa3d 60
addtopic "Tenen Eindari"

in the console before speaking to Faruna. Then talk to her about Tenen and he should appear downstairs in the same cell.

If someone can take a look, hopefully find what I'm doing wrong or give a better suggestion then that'd be awesome. :)
Attachments
TR_q1-76-Tel_Stryker_1.esp
(64.65 KiB) Downloaded 103 times
Haū! Omochikaerī!

Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Post by Bloodthirsty Crustacean »

I'm lazy, and could find nothing obvious (the guy doesn't even have any unique greetings!), so before MowSkwoz gets here and shows up my lack of knowledge, I'll provide the simple answer, which is just "why not create a copy of him and enable it, rather than use the frequently dodgy PositionCell".

Alternatively, have a logical "wait one day" sequence and see if disabling him, and then enabling him on the requisite cell change would prevent the problem.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals
a man melts the sand so he
can see the world outside

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Stryker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stryker »

Ah, I said I wasn't done with it. He'll get greetings soon enough.

Anyways, from my knowledge the enable/disable requires having another NPC, right? Like TR_m1_q_76_Tenen and TR_m1_q_76_Tenen2 or something like that.
That would require about... 12 or something around that to get a copy of each NPC that is needed. :?

If that isn't how it works then I'm afraid I don't understand how you Enable/Disable one of them without Enabling/Disabling the other...

Still, Thanks for looking at it, BC. :)
Haū! Omochikaerī!

Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Stryker wrote:Ah, I said I wasn't done with it. He'll get greetings soon enough.
Yeah, of course. Wasn't casting aspersions, just saying that that's the obvious place to start for looking for a bug that happens on the initiation of dialogue. The fact there were none made me get my lazy on.

Re: thingy, your options are indeed either to have a second copy, enabled or disabled (lot of extra NPCs, as you said) as needed; or to have a go at PositionCelling, but put in a timer, require the PC to change cell, and enable and disable him in the meanwhile, all the kind of stuff that normally stabilises a moved NPC.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
MMMowSkwoz
Developer

Post by MMMowSkwoz »

I suspect the problem is due to you calling PositionCell from the dialog results box. Try using it from a script instead. Sorry I haven't got more time to look at it.
Stryker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stryker »

It appears that my problem was him appearing in the same cell. Leaving and coming back works, but talking to him without changing cells crashes the game.

So, in this case, I'll do what BC suggested and script something to enable/disable on Cell Change.

I know I said this before, but expect an actual WIP to be uploaded soon. Sorry about my laziness of late, I've had a loss of inspiration and motivation as it would seem. :?
Haū! Omochikaerī!

Stryker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stryker »

Update time. While i've gotten less work done over the past week than I would've liked its still a pretty good amount.

Tenen & Vetes Eindari side is essentially complete and should be fully playable. All it needs is the last bits to be added, which mostly need a journal update, then the rewards and ultimately figuring out which 'path' the player will be going down.

Malethan Ilnene's side is nearly complete. Just needs some preliminary testing, like the other sides.

Artenis Seloth's side isn't implemented yet, but considering its nearly the same as Malethan's it should be done soon enough.

Varnes Eram probably needs some extra work before I upload a WIP. This was the first side I tried to implement, and I don't think its complete anyways. But I'll also want to go over it again to make sure everything is done 'properly'.

I'll say, and I think safely this time, within a week I'll have a functioning WIP uploaded.
My plan is to, after this is done, implement the 'Good' way, then the 'Foul' way. And then after those two I'll go back in and do the minor sides of the apprentices quests (ie, ones who never become her apprentice.)
Haū! Omochikaerī!

Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

I have agreed to make the northern island for the plant. Hope it is OK if I finish it during next weekend, cause I am quite busy person.
THEO
Stryker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stryker »

Theo wrote:I have agreed to make the northern island for the plant. Hope it is OK if I finish it during next weekend, cause I am quite busy person.
Yep, thats all good. I still have alot of testing/implementing to do before I need it. And if I get to that point earlier I'll just throw the plant somewhere outside of Tel Oren 'till its done. :P

Thanks for doing it, Theo.

EDIT: Figured I should tack an update into this as well:

I've almost gotten all of Atrenis' side of the quest done. After that all that is needed is implementing the 'minor' quests and fixing up and finishing Varnes Eram's side of the quest.
Once these are done I may work on the misc map2 quests, depending on if BC finally gets working on his quests. :P Otherwise I'll just start on the "Good side" and hopefully get that done as soon as possible.
Haū! Omochikaerī!

Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

I located the island to the northwest of Bahrammu. You should be able to reaching by not swimming to far from the northwestern coast of the Hlarvan Isle. Hope it doesn't mind, area north of the island is quite cluttered already and I tried to keep the map little bit more compact.
THEO
Stryker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stryker »

Theo wrote:I located the island to the northwest of Bahrammu. You should be able to reaching by not swimming to far from the northwestern coast of the Hlarvan Isle. Hope it doesn't mind, area north of the island is quite cluttered already and I tried to keep the map little bit more compact.
All sounds good to me. Thanks for doing it, Theo. I can't wait to see it.
Haū! Omochikaerī!

Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

And here comes the WIP (detailing and error-checking required). Please tell me whether this is what you had in mind.
Attachments
Ice.esp
(340.15 KiB) Downloaded 99 times
THEO
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Looks nice.

I'd tone down the cliffs a bit and use more BM rocks instead, and also maybe have it slightly further away from Bahrammu, if that's possible (if not, don't worry).

On the top, perhaps make a cool 'mountainy rock formation' inside which is nestled the snowy patch, rather than one huge snowy field? And avoid making it a direct ' clockwise spiral up' path, perhaps.

Anyway, good work.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

I am afraid moving the island, toning down the cliffs or rearanging them would be as difficult as making this anew.

The clockwise arrangement of cliffs is the only possible one considering the size of the island. Was it bigger, more complex and not so straightforward ways to the top of the hill could be used.
I can also add more BM rocks, but those (unlike WG for example) are too regular and small to serve as a tool for shaping terrain and serve mainly as detail. That is why it is impossible to create belieavable 'mountainy rock formation' with them on the plateau. But if you don't like the snowy plain, perhaps some trees could be put there and some rocks too, but nothing too mountaineousy.
THEO
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Okay, that's fine.

I still think toning down the size of the snowy field would be a good idea. Perhaps if you made the terrain itself into a 'mountainous path', and used rocks just to add detail, then there could be a small snowy patch at the centre?

Anyway, it's up to you. You know what you're doing, and can make this look great. Anyway, some of the cliffs on the shoreline can probably go without causing problems, I'd have thought?

I think if you would be willing to move it (even if that did mean starting again), that would be preferable... but if it's too much trouble, I'll be alright. The size of the snowy field will definitely have to go down in that case, though.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

OK. I will try to relocate the island with some utility (just about even northern of the rock formation north of Bahrammu] and reduce the size of the plateau. I will also try to remove some of the cliffs, but this I cannot promise.
THEO
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

If it could be placed in the area around two or three cells above the cell Urlis Rock, that would be good.

Deleting some of the shoreline cliffs is all we'd need, just so that the green Azura's coast rock is less predominant. Just leave some bits of shoreline touching the sea, and block the gaps in the cliffs with rocks and stuff.

Don't make the plateau any smaller, but just use rocky non-snow textures on it, I think. It might be easier, I suppose, to actually make it bigger so you've got more stuff to play with and make it look cool?

But now I really will leave it up to you. Thanks again for doing this Theo. :)
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

Like this?
Attachments
Ice.esp
(135.97 KiB) Downloaded 109 times
THEO
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Yes, absolutely lovely! :)

If you want to do more detailing or whatever, if you think it's necessary, that would be fine.

When you're done, would you mind if I made the odd couple of tweaks myself, just to convey some aspects of the vision I had? But if you'd object to me playing with your work, that's fine.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

This is only a WIP and needs more detailing anyway.
I could do this, if it is required, but it is tedious job which I do not enjoy at all. So if you want to implement your ideas please go ahead first (especially the northern part is very empty and can be designed completley to anyone's liking) and then perhaps I could add some final touches adding a detail it if it is still necessary.

My idea for this island was that it should be difficult to proceed upwards and that the player should encounter various obstacles (waterfall, collapsed path that must be crossed via the log, narrow cliffs etc.) on his way to the plateau to make reaching the plant a little bit 'adventurous'. So if you could keep this element (basically be keeping the cliff path) it would be nice.

Also notice that mean polar bear 'boss' lives on the top and that there are remnants of unfortunate nordic sailors, whose longboat wrecked on this islands and whom he ate one by one (Seen 'Cutting Edge'?). There is plenty of fishes around the island so neither the bear or the sailors had problems with food.
The sailors also made a campfire, which heated them during the cold and also repelled the beast, which is afraid of fire. Finally the last survivor cut his veins with a dagger.
If you wish you can write a journal and place it near his corpse in lower cavern.

But if you have completely different vision for this island, I do not care for this too much so you are free to remake it as you please.
THEO
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Okay. I'll do some work, including detailing of a sort, on this island over the next week. Can't promise a done-date.

But certainly by next Sunday, I'd hope I'll definitely be done. Anyway, then you can take it for a final, more expert, round of detailing. The biggest change you'll probably notice would be I might make the top plateau more mountainy, and I'm unsure about the three-tier waterfall. But I'll try and keep it in because I like your plan.

Thanks for this, Theo. :)

EDIT: If I'm feeling brave, I might try and have a crack at removing the BM flora and grass textures from the base floor. It is a tad weird having them over here (stones and snow is okay, obviously), so I might try and 'Bahrammu-ize' it.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Okay, had some free time this evening. Got all I want done on the island.

The only issue I see remaining are the large seams around the base, presumably introduced by the moving procedure. I couldn't fix them nicely, so Theo if you could do that, I'd be much obliged. :P

Anyway, I'm happy with this as it is, but if you want to detail a tad more, feel free. :)
Attachments
Ice.esp
(143.01 KiB) Downloaded 99 times
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals