q2-8-Mis

After a quest claim has been cleared by a review, the thread will be moved here. Discussion is still allowed.

Moderator: Lead Developers

Why
Lead Developer

q2-8-Mis

Post by Why »

Claim type: Quest
Claim ID: TR_q2-8-Mis (#1839)
Faction: Misc
Parent claim: TR_2-40-Imp (#103)
Claimed by: MSam
Files: TR_q2-8-Mis_MSam_4.esp

---

Helnim misc quests.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Post by Bloodthirsty Crustacean »

Some plot-hooks:

Aarlen Lleranoth, a pawnbroker, is a smuggler of Dwemer stuff (Mirabelle in the slums is also a smuggler) - we could easily do some 'help him or hinder him' stuff here, where the player can either help him (perhaps smuggling stuff to the Telvanni, upping crime rates) or hinder him (report him to Windmoth Legion - nothing happens, or some other counter-intuitive situatuin; report him to the Militia - his shop gets barred up etc.)

Dranil Semiran, the jeweller, is a Dunmer with strong Imperial leanings. He's an educated, Hasphat Antabolis type; and I found that the Helnim jewellers was meant to be a Blades HQ, so there could be hints there. (He's not going to blow his cover, though - and nothing explicit is said in dialogue, either) He could have some more interesting, dialogue based quests - no ideas right now, but it'd need to be better than 'fetch me this'. It should only be accessible on high disposition.

I haven't yet looked at the Telvanni Quarter, need to finish H-Hall first, but there'll be a bunch of stuff there. (There's a smugglers' cavern, for instance)

Note that hints in dialogue regarding a botched adventurer raid on a dungeon are regarding a wilderness quest-to-be, not a Misc.

Other ideas, I may come up with later, or anyone else can feel free. The above are all the 'really obvious' ones. Other ones that require further character embellishment etc. can be thought up of later.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals
a man melts the sand so he
can see the world outside

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
TheGooch
Developer

Post by TheGooch »

Post Edited to Make it into PDF.

A Note i would like to make, it would be awesome if this could be applied to oblivion (Hammerfell) there are some regions/cities that this would be wicked with. and i can somewhat remember some discussions with the MQ for Hammerfell. and it was mentioned in the link above, that it could determine some RAI packages.. and a entire city being destroyed by the player with riots and stuff. the destruction of the temple of the one was sucky. like it was always going to happen if u went all the way throught the MQ. with this, a player could destroy multiple cities/ change power of governments. there are tonnes of possibilities. (with oblivion it would just look/work better cos of the AI.)

Alright. Thankyou haplo for fixing/ trying to fix this thread.

I have removed a lot of things such as the rewards, im still trying to come up stuff to replace them, its an ever changing system...
Attachments
HelnimMiscQuests.pdf
(15.42 KiB) Downloaded 231 times
Last edited by TheGooch on Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
theviking and MowSkwoz have it in theirs... soo: "We need quest designers!" - Stolen From teh Cutness.

-----------------
TehGo0ch
theviking
Developer Emeritus

Post by theviking »

The quest a worthy adversary is a good quest and as soon as you come up with the two names of the two captains I consider it designed. Your system is exactly what Lud would have liked to see for the quests of Helnim. We just have to fit in some truly misc quests with that system. For example, an imperial trader is competing with a Telvanni trader. The player has to choose who to help. The pie smuggling quest would be cool too, but we used pie smuggling before in a quest (fast and furious in Bal Oyra). Please make it bread smuggling or something.
Interiors: 25
Reviews: more then 250!
Quest Reviews: 3
NPC claims: 2

Currently looking for quest designers.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

I'm not too sure about 'Worthy Adversary'. We don't want Helnim to look like it's 'over-leadered'. We already have Caedan Jorval, Servas Capris (for the Legion) and Flavius and Darythi. That's four leaders already.

Adding in another two Imperial Legion leaders seems a bit excessive, and would make it confusing as to what Jorval/Capris' roles actually are. And of course, those two are big characters for the Helnim Gambit line.

So I'm not sure on that one.

As for the rest, I like your scheme, but some more detail on specific miscs (from anyone and everyone, not just Gooch - I'll probably contribute too) would be good.

Also, some miscs that don't just go 'Imperial/Telvanni' would be good. (I think that's what Vike means by 'trule misc quests')
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Damn lack of edit.

Also, I'd like to point out that I'd really like it if people could actually build their plans around what's actually been set up in NPCing. I left most of the characters pretty blank slates in terms of plot-lines, but I did give them names and personalities.

It's not very encouraging going in to all these design claims and just seeing 'some guy' and 'that captain' or whatever. Please look at what's been done in NPCing, and then see what quests would fit those characters. Like I say, there's still plenty freedom, but it really grates when I feel I'm just being ignored.

[/my silly rant]

Also, w/ re: Gooch's plan : one thing that sticks out - the Telvanni lord is not going to ask for the player's help in ousting the Imps in a straightforwards manner. The guy is completely insane - please read his dialogue/Lud's character bio/Helnim Gambit plan.

I will grumble less from hereon in. (I will also stop being so lazy and help more with the design process - otherwise it's a bit lame for me to complain. But it is Christmas, and I have no designing skill to speak of - so nothing immediately, necessarily)

Gooch Edit. Hi! This is a Test.
The only person (other than admins and moderators) can edit in this forum, is the owner of the forum, the person designated to design it. which at this point, is set to me.
which is really weird since i can edit this post... ill post later specifically about the quests and the plan, in a proper post. /gooch
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

TheGooch
Developer

Post by TheGooch »

happy new year. (here it is anyway)

Sorry BC, I didnt know where to go to look at npc bios or anything. i think i did ask for some links, but that may have been before haplo fixed this thread, and i might have deleted it.

I will go check out all of the characters in Helnim, particularly the leaders of the imperials. such as those captains mentioned. if Flavius/Darythi are not important, perhaps it could be a misc quest with either two of the 'big' captains and it kicks either of these two out.

oh and with this quest, if imperials find out that the captain is corrupt, the public support will drop for them. in my head this sounds right (the whole "your government/leadership/whatever is weakening"). rather than support for telvanni dropping since they were the ones bribing. oh and the bribing stays hush hush for the public. only select few imperials would get to know about it. if the player goes that way.

It would be cool to get some input from any/every-one. Preferably well thought out and sense making. - crap, means i have to edit all mine :P

Am posting this now, will edit in a few when i come back after reading a tonne of stuff from Lud & the npc stuff from BC...
theviking and MowSkwoz have it in theirs... soo: "We need quest designers!" - Stolen From teh Cutness.

-----------------
TehGo0ch
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

TheGooch wrote:Sorry BC, I didnt know where to go to look at npc bios or anything. i think i did ask for some links, but that may have been before haplo fixed this thread, and i might have deleted it.
The big character bios can be found in Lud's House Telvanni thread, and the Darconis Gambit post by Starcrunch.

For misc. quests, though, your main source of info should be the NPCs in the city itself. So either in the CS or in game, take a wander around Helnim and speak to people. 80% of dialogue is unique for all characters in Helnim. I put a lot of effort in here. You should get a gist of who's who, who's 'off limits' and who's a totally blank canvas (storyline-wise - some may have no story but a clear personality).
TheGooch wrote:I will go check out all of the characters in Helnim, particularly the leaders of the imperials. such as those captains mentioned. if Flavius/Darythi are not important, perhaps it could be a misc quest with either two of the 'big' captains and it kicks either of these two out.
Flavius/Darythi was a not entirely intentional 'trick question', and I now get to smile a wry smile because you tripped the trap.

Check the actual city, and you'll work out who they are pretty quickly. ;)

Please, before continuing, make sure you have at least a basic grasp of the town you're dealing with before designing misc. quests.

Regarding the 'two captains' quest, if you really get a solid plan together that shows some clear knowledge of both 'The Helnim Gambit' and Helnim itself, then we might let you have such a quest, as long as it's well designed, and clearly understands the importance of such an action.
TheGooch wrote:Am posting this now, will edit in a few when i come back after reading a tonne of stuff from Lud & the npc stuff from BC...
I look forwards to seeing what you come up with. :)
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

TheGooch
Developer

Post by TheGooch »

lol i thought they may have been a post somewhere that had like a list of NPC's and such that i could look at. but by the sounds of "play the game" im guessing no..

Im at my bro's atm, and he dont gots no mw.
but after i wake up and go home, if i got a bit of time i will check it out goodly. :)

and with the whole other two capitanos.. i dont understand the trick question :|

Hav ney ph34r.. TehGo0ch is here.

*everyone screams and runs away...*

... *in fear*

... *of TehGo0ch*

:P

Alright. enuf of that.

For misc quests, that are truly misc... I know there needs/wanting to be 8. but it could extend to more than that. there should be 8 proper misc quests. perhaps 2 or 3 as a misc chain. There is the repeatable quests. which don't count and should be designed perhaps by anyone. so if it sounds easy and good enough to implement. bring it on.

This is my repeatable:
(sorry again BC about lack of names etc. havunt touchied the MW in a cooople of dayz.)

Poor beggar type is in need of food, for him/herself and their family. The player can go collect the food him/herself, from foraging etc. and gain (more than other options) points with the variable Tr_Helnim_Player_Respect. The player could also ask a Telvanni Merchant or an Imperial Merchant, who can spare some older food on the cheap.(like really really cheap). If either of these options are taken, the respective imperial/telvanni popularity goes up. they would be seen as somewhat decent people. This can be repeated, once per day.

Alright, there is one of my repeatables, if no one else contributes i may have to make a few more.

I understand the type of system lud wants and it would be cool, for people to checkout the link up the top, to get a better understanding, before he/she submits a quest design.

do it b4 you submit.. remember.. you probs won't be able to edit your posts :P

I reckon 3 or 4 repeatables would be good.
4 - 7 single quests (how ever many you guys think should be appropriate)
1, (2/3) chain quests.
for a total of 7 - 10. + 4 repeats.

Sleeping now :P

-----------------
TehGo0ch
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

With the repeatable, that sounds like a fine quest, though I'm unsure exactly how repeatables can work as a concept without being lame. (e.g. same beggar person wants food every day? Same two merchants always selling food? etc.) Vike should probably clarify what he wants or expects from that, as Head of Quests.

As for the 'trick question': as I said, it wasn't exactly intentional, but you just inadvertantly revealed that you have no knowledge whatsoever about Helnim. (Or if you do, it is severely lacking)

Flavius is the Imperial Governor, and Darythi is the Mad Lord.

So as I said, do some checking up, then come back and start plans in earnest.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

theviking
Developer Emeritus

Post by theviking »

That repeatable quest would work very well. The basic concept is that an imperial and a Telvanni trader are competing. They are showing their goodwill and want to give more than their competitor. So the amount of food increases every time. Everybody sees that this is going to end up badly, so at one point one trader is going to ask the player to eliminate the other trader. Voila, a second quest.

TheGooch
Developer

Post by TheGooch »

yep.. i have no knowledge of helnim >.<

though i am going to get some :)

*loads up MW and goes to helnim*

Edit:
I found a few people for quest givers.

with the repeatable quest for the poor... it could be instead of one person be any person in the 'slums' district, and instead of calling it teh persons family, just food for the slums area.

It took me like an hour to find the mad telvanni. and yep he is mad...

and with the captains, i have seen a "guard captain" in the Helnim hall building. if there are more of those, perhaps we could just give them proper names.

theres that bloke in the slums who is trying to get to Vvar, perhaps a misc quest for him? Maybe something that can get him money and the money coming from either a Telvanni or Imperial person. which would affect the public popularity variables.

-----------------
TehGo0ch
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

This is more like it, Gooch. ;)

Anyway, come up with some ideas, get them down in plan form, and we'll be making good progress.

I might help you out with creating a few miscs. (your number of 7-10 +4 repeats sounded good) As could others, if they drop by.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

immortal_pigs
Developer

Post by immortal_pigs »

Offtopicish: Wasn't there a Bosmer with a shop somehwere in Helnim, who is highly suspicious towards the player? And if the player looks around in the shop they can find 3 other NPCs somewhere downstairs who will all refuse to tell the player anything.

As of now I'm still very curious what those people were all about, but I'm guessing it might be intended as a quest?
TheGooch
Developer

Post by TheGooch »

Q's so far.(includes newies and i thought i would name them)

Normal Miscs:

Worthy Adversary.(will come up with some names for the guards later)

In Plain Sight (smuggle pies q, but with kwama eggs, which are transparent - viking and i were chatting on messenger)
- No Plan Yet.

Underneath a Pile of cloth.(you should design this quest BC, and i reckon you should know what im talking about, from the name of the quest. just make it fun/funny)

In Need of a Drake (the quest for the travelling bloke in the slums) - no plan yet.

Telvanni Hid Evil Guard Out 0f Castle Helnim.
- the further investigation of the telvanni bribed captain.
- btw the name of the quest is a wip. i was trying to get my nick in somehow for a quest.

Repeatables.(rq)

Have a coin beggar. (in ob, you can keep giving coins to beggars(the topic is the same name as this quest), i thought since you can repeat this quest, the name was fitting, i guess this would be an easter egg or something)

(5q's, 1rq)

so BC if you want, you could do under a pile of cloth.
anybody else wanting to design something could do In need of a drake.
I am doing the other 3 norms & the rq. Plus all of the planning for the passive quests. (dont need a npc to trigger, like stealing and killing etc.)

One passive quest(not given by npc):
which relays information to the player through the journal.
We need to tell the player about the new system, and whether he/she would like a change.
it could tell how popular either side is and what crime is like etc.

(nothing statistical just something like,
"The town/city of Helnim has seen increasing criminal activity, the citizens are looking elsewhere for protection. The Telvanni has spread rumors to the imperials that they could provide such protection")

A definate 4 repeats.
As many Passive quests as we can think of. (like mini misc quests that the player could do. i have said stealing and murder several times :P, i just can't think of much more than that...)
then the 7 - 10 normals.

theres a lot the player will be able to do in helnim, other than the gambit line.

On a final note, good job on the npc's & dialogue BC.
AND... its been 1 year + 20something days, since i joined TR. thought i have been gone the last 3months :P

TehGo0ch.... :banana:

-----------------
TehGo0ch
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Haha, remember kids: if in doubt, use the CS to check the dialogue.

Those guys in Falkoth's shop are the Thieves Guild. Read the dialogue to find out why. So they will have their own line, but that's a full-on faction thing, not a misc.

Gooch, if you wanna get in an Easter Egg, please be a little less blates, and don't butcher a quest title just to do it. If you can fit one in, alright, but don't shoehorn it in there where it don't fit.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

theviking
Developer Emeritus

Post by theviking »

Please keep in mind that there are also fighters guild, mages guild, thieves guild, imperial legion (although this one could shift to cephorad keep and fort Windmoth), imperial cult and east empire company quests based from Helnim. Together with your plan Helnim is going to be bursting with quests, that's why I suggested the 8 quests. The beggars one is a good extra which can be easily implemented.

Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

No Mages Guild in Helnim. (And Legion would just be Militia quests, which probably form an Imperial side to Helnim Gambit)

Anyway, yeah, good point, but also remember that this is TR's only decent sized city on Map 2. Why not fill it with juicy quests? And anyway, we questers are realistic people. If it becomes obvious we're working too much, we'll willingly cut some quests. ;)
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Gez
Developer Emeritus

Post by Gez »

Bloodthirsty Crustacean wrote:No Mages Guild in Helnim.
I was kinda disappointed there was not even a Bal Oyra-style Mages Guild Relay... (Though this has nothing to do with quests.)
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Well, blame the people who made the ints. :P Nothing I can do.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

You could have an outpost somewhere. Find out through quests that they were run off into a small yet elaborate network of caves by the Telvanni.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
TheGooch
Developer

Post by TheGooch »

thieves? really? i thought the two down stairs were prossies and the other bloke down their was going to get some, and falkoth was the pimp.

*votes for tonnes of juicy quests*

shit.. how did immortal pigs get a post in there...
>.<
this is the place i am talking aboot.

Edit:

If you guys want to chat with me, im usually in the #Tamriel IRC channel. also you can chat with any of these, for IM's.

chantlerpeter@gmail.com

runescape_god@hotmail.com

pchan3@aol.com.au

-----------------
TehGo0ch
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

lol runescape god

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

TheGooch
Developer

Post by TheGooch »

i have had that email address since i was 13. when rs2 first came out in like 03. i dont use it much...

-----------------
TehGo0ch
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

I forgot hotmail was still around, that's all.

TheGooch
Developer

Post by TheGooch »

*poke anybody and everybody to do some designing*

If you can post here and have an idea. give it... now :P

just atm i dont have any new ones, im just extending and polishing the ones that we got.

it sucks to work every day of the week, but it brings me close to owning a computer that can run ob at 60+ fps at full detail...

-----------------
TehGo0ch
TheGooch
Developer

Post by TheGooch »

Update: added some more to the top post. first quest is done, second is nearly done.

-----------------
TehGo0ch
TheGooch
Developer

Post by TheGooch »

Turned my ideas into a PDF, find it up top. new stuff.. and yeah..updatage.

-----------------
TehGo0ch
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Looking alright.

Murber is a bad, bad name.

I don't think that Proxy Muny is quest enough. We already had one far too simple 'quest' like that in Map 1, and we don't need more. We can put it in, but not as a quest.

The Aarlen Lleranoth one is good, but shouldn't be repeatable. I still don't really get/like the idea of repeatables. Someone will need to explain to me how we'd go about implementing those.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

MMMowSkwoz
Developer

Post by MMMowSkwoz »

I thought I'd copy this over to the appropriate thread so we don't forget it:
Aeven wrote:The economy of a settlement has hit rock bottom. If you go to one of the shops, they'll inform you they have nothing to sell, as all trade has ceased. An alternative way to find out is asking about the local economy.

Depending on whether this'll be a Telvanni or Imperial/Nordic town, you'll be directed to a Mouth or the governor/head of the guard. He or she will ask you to find traders who are willing to invest in the local economy and deliver goods.

You'll be advised to seek out a rich merchant in Port Telvannis (added by quester) or Firewatch.

Port Telvannis, Plan A:
You'll find the merchant in the harbour, near the riverstrider.
The merchant can refuse outright if he doesn't like you enough. Some bribing might help. If you're in House Telvanni, he'll help you without needing any convincing. You'll be asked to run a small errand.

It'll seem honest enough, but involves finding a run-away Argonian slave in who has made a home for himself in a nearby ancestral tomb (this tomb will be free of any danger. Maybe add one if needed). He'll hand you the key. You have the option to bring (escort) the slave back to Port Telvannis and hand her over, or let the slave in peace, and remove the bracers, or killing the slave. If you don't bring back the slave, you must return the bracers. You can then inform the merchant his slave is dead, and the bracers will convince him. You can also tell him you killed the slave, but he'll then refuse to help you (the quest will then fail, or you can try in Firewatch, see the second line). If you lie and have let the slave go free, you won't be caught in your lie, and you'll be believed.

The merchant will now agree to deliver goods to the settlement, you just need to find a person to make the deliveries. If you ask around, you'll find there is an Ashlander in a Port Telvannis pub looking for employment. Approach him, and tell him the merchant if in need of a deliverer. He'll leave the pub. Speak with the merchant, who thanks you for the new business and hopes to see you again if you have any other business opportunities.

Visit the Mouth/governor/head of the guard, who will be overjoyed and reward you with 700 septims. Shops will be selling again, with mostly (Telvanni) Dunmer merchandise. Some of the very poorly decorated homes could be switched with more decorated versions (either using a script in the interior, or using a script to switch a door to enter the the other version, which would be another cell.)

Firewatch Harbour, Line B:
You'll find the merchant (a haughty Imperial woman) in the harbour of Castle Firewatch. (Her merchandise comes from Cyrodiil and High Rock).

Approach her, and tell her the tale of the settlement. She'll show no sympathy, and merely remarks this might be a good business opportunity. If you are a member of the Imperial Cult, she won't need any additional convincing. If you are in the legion, you may threaten to search her wares (she has some Dwemer artefacts headed to the Imperial City, but the player doesn't know this unless he takes a look - illegal! - first. It doesn't matter for her response, but if you know this, you may mention it. This will make her not require you to do an errand first.) Otherwise, bribing her or good speechcraft will do the trick.

If you did not confront her with your knowledge of the Dwemer artefacts, she'll tell you her husband is in Helnim, and has been having some money troubles (gambling, but she doesn't say this. The husband's dialogue should reveal his vice though.) She gives you 1000 septims to bring to him, and tells you to warn him of the dangers of gambling.

When in Helnim, if you ask around about the husband, you'll be directed to him at a local inn. Go there, and he'll be horribly drunk (another vice. He'll mention your eyes look like the eyes of his beloved dice.) He'll tell you to see him again tomorrow, when he's sober. If you ignore this and tell him to stop gambling, and say you're here because of his wife, you'll provoke him to attack (you may calm him and leave, and he won't remember any of it the next day). If you kill him, you have to return to the Imperial merchant (see result of this later). If you come back the next day, he'll be sober. He'll ask you to a game of dice, but you refuse. Tell him his wife misses him and offers him 1000 septims in order to survive, as his losses have been more frequent as of yet. She urges him not to gamble it all away. OPTIONAL: You can also try and make him stop gambling (good speechcraft is key here. Bribing would also work.) If you succeed, you can tell the husband his wife will take him back and pick him up on her next visit to Helnim.

Go back and tell her of your success (or failure.) If you killed the husband, and he attacked you first, she'll mourn him and tell you to come back tomorrow, when she has a clearer mind. If you killed him and struck first, she'll report you to the guards and refuse any further business with you and Plan B will have failed (You may attempt Plan A if you haven't done so al ready. If you failed that one, the quest will end. The result will be the same as Plan C.)
If you had success, she'll be very happy. If you managed to make her husband stop gambling, she'll give you an enchanted Dwemer sword (if this is too uber, maybe 800 septims. She's very rich.)

Her only problem is a lack of a delivery person. She'll ask you to find one. Some asking around will reveal the young son of a local Breton is in need of a job, and is strong and good with a sword. He'll happily take the job.

Once you tell the merchant the good news, she'll send her wares to the settlement. She'll wish you well, and hopes that her wares from Sentinal will sell well the next time she docks in Firewatch again. She'll then disappear. If you made her husband stop gambling, he'll disappear too.

Tell the good news to the Mouth/governor/head of the guard, and he'll be overjoyed. You will be rewarded 800 septims. Shops will start selling again, and they sell predominantly Imperial goods (regardless of if the settlement is Dunmer or not). Some interior poor/rich switching again. Reflect the Imperial merchandise in the switched miscellanea.

Plan C:
Refuse to help. The Mouth/governor/head of the guard will be very disappointed. Trade will eventually resume on its own accord (2 in-game months seems reasonable) but the interiors remain poor and the sold merchandise is only lower class. The inhabitants will have a low view of you.
I think this sounds good, but some suggestions:

- The governor is incompetent, so you'll need someone else to give the quest. Caedan Jorval?

- Instead of killing all trade (which would be kind of annoying), let the more prosperous shops be fine, and have this crisis limited to the Marketplace traders.

- A two month timer is not a good idea. Just leave the standard 'come back if you change your mind' option.

------------------

Generally for this claim, I'm not a huge fan of this 'multiple global variables' thing. Are we having dialogue entries for multiple combinations? Why not just simplify it to a single global variable of TR_Helnim_Power_Balance? All this recording crime seems like quite a lot of effort for not much effect.

Also, what's up with several people being diseased?

The smuggling quests should be developed. Plenty of opportunity for awesomeness there.
MaMeeshkaMowSkwoz - choose your syllables
Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

The quest was written without a specific location in mind. Theviking suggested Helnim.

Reporting crimes can be scrapped. It was just my idea of realistic. Multiple possibilities to me are a must for a realistic quest. Always a different possibility.

I agree not all of Helnim should have empty shops. The idea was actually more geared at a smaller settlement. But your idea works well, if it isn't just one or two shops. Maybe 4, which are specialised but useful enough to make this quest worthwhile.
MMMowSkwoz
Developer

Post by MMMowSkwoz »

I was referring to the marketplace - the building with 8 small-time traders in it, but I guess any shops could be affected.

The reference to crime and global variables is about Lud's plan (link is in claim description).
Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

Ah, okay. I thought you were referring to my quest idea.

Anything which needs tweaking can be tweaked to fit better IMO. I had no idea there was a marketplace building. That building and maybe some less upperclass traders would be suitable to be affected, I think.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

The diseased folks in Helnim are a part of the 'Helnim Gambit' planned questline.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

MMMowSkwoz
Developer

Post by MMMowSkwoz »

Bloodthirsty Crustacean wrote:The diseased folks in Helnim are a part of the 'Helnim Gambit' planned questline.
Ah yes. But it's only really a flavour thing, right? No actual quests revolve around it.
Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

Just writing this up in case I forget:
Helnim will have a special variable which concerns the Telvanni/Imperial influence. I imagine this to be a matter of -50 to +50, with anything between -5 and +5 to be neutral or of no notice to the player. Perhaps some very vague dialogue difference.

The negative side is Imperial, the positive side of this scale would be Telvanni. Once a value greater than +10 has been reached, tiny roots will be seen sprouting up in the slums, very tiny, but if the Telvanni influence increases some might creep up the supporting poles.

If the value increases further, in the back alleys of Helnim similar things might happen These will be increasingly be noticeable to the player (on the front side of buildings especially) if this influence increases. No more small roots will appear after 30+. If Telvanni influence becomes +35, some Telvanni guards may start patrolling in Helnim (not the offices of Imperial institutes, but the streets. A tiny root will start growing in the courtyard of Helnim Hall. Once +40 has been reached, the guards stationed to guard Helnim Hall will be Telvanni (a matter of enable/disable I imagine) and the small root will slowly grow into a housepod which will be stuck on the wall. There will be no steps into this housepod, but levitation will be required. I hope that the housepod will be accessible from inside Helnim Hall, but I have not looked into this. Inside this Housepod will be a tiny office of a Telvanni administrator, who has de facto complete control over the official Imperial governor of the city.

If things go in favour of the Imperials, once -10 has been reached, a (couple of) Imperial banner(s) could be placed on the platforms. The ultimate show of Imperial dominance in the region could be the replacing of the guards near the Helnim Kwama mine. To be perfectly honest I don't know how much the Telvanni are pushovers here, certainly not as much as the Imperial governor.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

I'll want to see how this links in with planned (or 'as yet unplanned', clearly) miscs before I give this 'master plan' my approval, or decide how much of it I want to go ahead.

Thanks for getting stuff moving!
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

Literary Critic

Cyria Flavius, wife of the governor, is an intelligent woman of quality, and as such, hates Helnim. She is not able to be bribed, and as such, her trust must be gained through showing a kind deed (for a small reward).

Cyria, in an attempt to let her mind escape Helnim, has an arrangement with a friend back in the Imperial City, to ship her a book or two every month. She finds a lot of the Imperial literature in this outskirt of the Empire to be somewhat below her tastes. After she reads them, she sends them back. Conjur the head of servants will hint at this relationship as a little secret, and give the player the topic necessary to bring it up with Cyria. She will not bring it up herself.

She'll mention that right about now, a new shipment should have arrived in Firewatch, but that as of late, there has been an extreme shortage of boats travelling to Helnim, and she fears by the time the book gets back to Helnim Hall, she'll only have a couple of days to read it. She'll request you to pick it up (A special courier for this quest should be standing in the harbour of Firewatch, near the Cult offices. He should be wearing one of the Tribunal roman-like shirts.)

The book will be given to you if you show the seal of Lady Flavius (I imagine her to have her own, she probably considers her husband's seal both easy to fake and easy to steal.) Give the book to Cyria Flavius, and her disposition towards you will increase. She'll offer a reward of 200 gold, and she'll trust you.

Note: Cyria's trust will be essential to succeeding in a couple of different quests concerning replacing the Governor.

Note: I'd prefer the book in question to be unique, prose, and fictional, preferably about a noble lady in the Imperial City (the one of lore, not Oblivion.)
Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

Deep Conversation

Prequisite quest: Literary Critic

Based on your kindness to her in the quest Literary Critic, Cyria feels she can entrust you another request. (Make sure it sounds as a question, it's no demand by any means, she considers you a friend.)

Cyria Flavius' son, Darran Flavius (found in the Dzuran section of the Kemel-Ze ruins) has been on an expedition in Kemel-Ze for a few months and hasn't written a letter home as of late, and she's been worrying about him.
"... of course, I'm sure he's just fine, but nonetheless, I would feel reassured if I got some word of him personally."
Cyria asks if you would be so kind as to deliver a letter to Darran, and ask him to write one to her, and if you could bring it back with you. If you agree, she'll give you her letter (which is sealed, but nonetheless should contain an actual letter. Those with high security skill should be able to redo the seal, as in Vanilla Vvardenfell.)
"Do you know how to get to Kemel-Ze?"
(Yes) "Then good luck, be sure to ask one of the guards where to find him if you have any trouble!"
(No) "Well, you could probably take a boat to [Tel] Marog. The locals should be able to help you from there. Kemel-Ze is enormous, so one of the guards of the exploration team should be able to tell you where to find my Darran."
Darran Flavius is to be found in the Dzuran section of Kemel-Ze, and will greet you in a dismissive manner. (I suggest fleshing out his person, but I assume the Archaeological Society quests will deal with some of that.)

Upon handing him the letter, he will mumble some short answers to some things asked by his mother Cyria. He will remark that he is happy to read how is mother is faring, though he expresses little actual interest in her concerns. He'll ask if there's anything else you need from him, and you can mention that his mother is desperate to hear from him, and if he would be so kind as to write a response so you can take it back with you.

He'll tell you he'll have written one in a couple of hours (5 hours should work). He tells you that you can come back then, and that you can take a rest in one of the bedrolls should you feel so inclined, or explore the ruins about which he is inanely effusive.

Taking back the letter to Cyria will result in a disposition increase for both Darran and Cyria, and Cyria will reward you with some gold or an enchanted amulet.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

You've misread the character of Darran Flavius. He's a bumbling bufoon in the style of his father, and is doing some wannabe Indiana Jones-ing around Kemel-Ze, much to the ire of the Society (as explained in dialogue in various places).

The quest is fine, but Darran should not be concerned about Helnim, or the player breaking anything in the ruin. I'll edit your post to accomodate.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals