q2-8-Mis

After a quest claim has been cleared by a review, the thread will be moved here. Discussion is still allowed.

Moderator: Lead Developers

The Greatness
Developer

Post by The Greatness »

Bloodthirsty Crustacean wrote:Why not the Orcish one? Allows for some nice buddy-movie dialogue where he gets protective of Feliwan.
We have to do that. That'll be great fun to write, especially if the player tells the orc guy the truth ('I might have some choice words to say to that Aljef character'). Unfortunately I can't imagine a Bosmer with an orcish axe or battlehammer, so it'll have to be a silver shortsword or something similar, which isn't particularly special.

Y'know, I think I'm getting the hang of this quest designing stuff.
Warning: may contain large amounts of sarcasm.

Myzel- We never actually see slaves working on Vvardenfell either. They're always just standing there. If you ask me they deserve a good whipping.
The Greatness
Developer

Post by The Greatness »

Learned Reader is pretty much done, now I'm testing, but for some reason a result script isn't working. It's not crashing the game or anything, it just isn't doing anything. At all. Here's what I'm trying to run:

Code: Select all

player->AddItem, "Gold001", 60
Journal, "TR_m2_Hel_LearnedReader", 10
Simple, huh? has anyone ever had any problems trying to run scripts from a choice? I've seen it used elsewhere without difficulties.

Myzel- We never actually see slaves working on Vvardenfell either. They're always just standing there. If you ask me they deserve a good whipping.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Post by Bloodthirsty Crustacean »

Gold001 needs an underscore.
Your journal should be TR_m2_He_ to stay consistent with 2-26, and existing Helnim items.

Personally I never use commas in results boxes, maybe causes issues but I doubt it. The Gold typo is more likely.

I'd also add that when you're playtesting a quest (or indeed anything), make sure not to ever press the 'Yes to All' button whilst loading up Morowind at any point. If you do, the game will skip all future error messages (e.g. possibly the error with the gold).
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals
a man melts the sand so he
can see the world outside

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
The Greatness
Developer

Post by The Greatness »

The underscore it is. And with that said, the quest name and references changed, The Learned Reader is done. I'll upload a WIP soon, once I've done a little bit of tidying and added a few more responces during and after the quest. There is one minor concern; Finds-Men will repeat the same greeting as many times as the player talks to him until the player accepts his quest. The reason for this is I couldn't use TalkedToPC because many people will have already talked to him before, and I didn't want to create a script for Finds-Men just to use a variable. Shall I do that?

The Greatness
Developer

Post by The Greatness »

WIP uploaded with The Learned Reader. Sorry for taking a while, all I can say in my defence is that StarCraft 2 is a very good game. Anyway, I'll probably work through these in number order, just to make things easier (and leave my one till last), so Complicated Competition it is.

I'm quiet pleased with the dialogue in The Learned Reader, I've never really given dialogue much thought in any quests before, but working with TR I'm definitely improving in areas like that.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and it's not cleaned yet, I'll do that for the final version.

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Just a heads up, this needs an update in around a week!
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
The Greatness
Developer

Post by The Greatness »

I need a few days to get my priorities sorted. I want to keep working on this, but stuff keeps getting in the way. I'll have a proper file up ASAP. I've been doing some work on and off but there's not a huge amount of material progress.

The Greatness
Developer

Post by The Greatness »

Complicated Competition is almost done, I just need to do some thorough testing and bug fixing. Couple of things:

1- This quest required two books: a page of alchemical formulae and a diary. Should we get literature people to do those? I could probably make a quick alchemical formula but a whole diary might take a bit of work. Both are currently replaced with placeholders.
2- I've got a cool idea for the concequences of telling the truth to Drithnil, although it's a little unusual. I thought it would be cool if after you complete the quest this way every night Drithnil and Nisirel are moved to the spot by the fallen over tree up the river from Helnim to show they've entered a relationship. I thought that if the player finds them Nisirel could give the player a reward, and it would add a nice touch for players not expecting to find them there. What do you say?

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Yes, post those in the literature request thread. If you feel up to writing one, you're free to do that yourself, but it will need to be looked over by Nanu et al before it can be approved, but that is generally the quickest bit of the process.

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

The Greatness
Developer

Post by The Greatness »

Can I have a bit of scripting help? I need to control the dialogue options available to the player depending on whether the alchemical formula is in Nisirel's chest of drawers. I tried accessing the chest of drawer's GetItemCount from Drithnil's house but that doesn't work, and I tried changing one of Drithnil's local variables from a script on the chest of drawers, but that didn't work either. It seems you can't access stats like these from objects that aren't loaded, but the chest of drawers and Drithnil are in completely different cells, so they only way I can think to do it is through a global, which I'm trying to avoid. Does anyone know another way?

Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

There is a similar script in the vanilla Mages Guild quest Fake Soul Gem. Use that.
Andres Indoril
Senior Developer

Post by Andres Indoril »

For some reason I have to wonder if you have "references persist" or whatever checked on the desk...

Sounds like something that might be worth looking at.

Of course, I am not an experienced quester nor scripter, but that is just what my mind immediately jumped at.
[url=http://andresindoril.blogspot.com/][img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/Andres_Indoril/siggyleft.jpg[/img][/url][url=http://www.youtube.com/user/AndresIndoril][img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/Andres_Indoril/siggyright.jpg[/img][/url]
"You guys are no fun, I'll start my own TR with dead children and toy guars!" -Why
The Greatness
Developer

Post by The Greatness »

Why wrote:There is a similar script in the vanilla Mages Guild quest Fake Soul Gem. Use that.
But the quest giver and the place where the soul gem is meant to be are in the same cell. Lazy old Beth'.
Andres Indoril wrote:For some reason I have to wonder if you have "references persist" or whatever checked on the desk...

Sounds like something that might be worth looking at.

Of course, I am not an experienced quester nor scripter, but that is just what my mind immediately jumped at.
Sounds worth a shot. I'll try it.

EDIT: Oh glorious victory! Cheers Andres, works a treat. I'll stick a WIP up. Next up: gathering intelligence.
Last edited by The Greatness on Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Uh, yeah, you're right. Try reference persist, indeed, and if that doesn't work maybe run a global script.
The Greatness
Developer

Post by The Greatness »

Oops, ninja'd while editing. Reference persists works, I'll upload a WIP.

EDIT: WIP uploaded. 30% progress. Cleaned.

Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

This is more or less a question for BC, but; what ever happened to my economy quest? It was quite detailed and I believe a rather good one.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Which one was that? This claim got pretty messy by the end...
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

It's quoted by MowSkwoz on page 1.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Hi Greatness, this claim needs an update within the week. Hope it's progressing well!

The Greatness
Developer

Post by The Greatness »

Progress is good, although I haven't had a huge amount of time. I've uploaded a new WIP with the blades quests pretty much finished. All that's left is to add the rewards and maybe spruce up the dialogue a bit.

A few things:

1-Some old plans of this quest include a part where the player has to look through the Telvanni armoury. However, BC's latest plan does not include this part. Was this intentional? My current quest does not include this.

2-I thought some reference to the blades would be nice for a diligent player. One thing I've considered is having the price for the second quest as an enchanted shirt as a reference to Cauis which an awake player might get. Another thought was some plans or notes he has upstairs that make it more clear. I'm just worried the current quest will be too inconclusive.

3-Have you considered my previous proposition for the consequences of Complicated Competition? I would very much like to implement it.

Oh, and Aeven, I was waiting to see what BC said about your quest but it's been a while now. I would say it would be better in a smaller village so we could get away with closing some shops or adding more wares, and it would make sense for them to not be getting any trade.

Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

1 intentional.

2 only do it if its very subtle. These guys aren't gonnalet stuff slip easily.

3 that's fine.

On Aeven's quest, if you have the time and can execute it feasibly, implement it.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Holy crap, Batman, this needs an update over two months ago!

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Revoked due to lack of update.
MSam
Developer

Post by MSam »

Where did he go..?

I'll use his old file, and Morrowind some of the dialogue. It's very far along and I don't think there's anything particularly difficult about these quests. Will be finished in around 3 weeks?
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

granting, have fun. it can be a pain working with someone else's file...
MSam
Developer

Post by MSam »

I've re-written a lot of the dialogue, and filled in a lot of blanks including one place where the placer says to Ervul (the enchanter)
Choice "Aren't you an enchanter? How does an alchemist interfere with your business when you're in a completely different trade?" 4
and I though "HAHA I'M SO WITTY", but then arvisrend in chat went through it, didn't find it funny at all, and at the end says "I don't get why they're in competition".

I made some bullshit up to be a running gag that everyone thinks Nisriel is great because she just made this new policy on selling cheap Kwama eggs, but it's not really working so well...any thoughts on this? Perhaps should I make it so Nisriel wants to expand into enchanting too and Ervul is all like 'no'?

ETA: Also, I've got a CTD problem. If I don't talk to the enchanter before reading Nisirel's diary (and getting the journal update), when I exit her shop I don't get the forcedgreeting, though the enchanter appears. When I talk to him I get a CTD.

This only happens if I *don't* talk to him. If I talk to him, it triggers fine. So I'm thinking it must be a problem with my out of date TR_Data file.

arvisrend tried it and said he never had that problem. Could someone run it through and see if it's just my shitty PC being shitty? The file is the one at the top of the claim updates.

Other than that, the first 2 quests are finished...except the second one needs to be reworked. Yeah, BC, you're right - it's really hard working on this since the dialogue isn't in order so well. :P TG, where areee youuu?
"Thank you to the Makers of Rules. To the Breakers of Backs. To the sincere Autocrats. To the false Democrats. To the Builders of Walls. To the Painters of Lines. To those who Tattoo Numbers. To those who point fingers. To those who count their greed. To those who split by colour. To those who smile their lies.

Thank you so very much."
The Greatness
Developer

Post by The Greatness »

Right here. I've been busy on my NPC claim over this. Why? If there's anything I can assist with I'll try, but it's been a long time since I worked on this.

I don't quite understand your CTD problem. Why should you need to talk to the enchanter to read the diary? Or have I forgotten the plot of these quests that much?

MSam
Developer

Post by MSam »

I dunno either, it's just how the quest was written. No one else is having trouble? Excellent we'll assume it's just me.

3/4 is almost finished - there is one problem where you go back and get the reward from the jeweller. It's a function thing - if you've one the quest you can say 'hell yeah I'm done'. The problem is, he delivers the correct dialogue, but you don't get the journal update or reward. I thought this was a dirty save error, but the file has no GMSTs. So I'm not sure what to do about it?

ETA: So it's supposed to go:

Have you managed to have a look at what type of books Hafinsil owns, %PCName?

[Choice: "Hafinsil has a large collection of adventure books." 1 "Hafinsil is interested in the geo-politics of Morrowind." 1 "Hafinsil has a collection of complicated magic-related books." 1]

----
Any choice (All result Choice 1):
Excellent work, %PCName. I'm sure this knowledge shall prove invaluable to me. Why not take this shirt as a reward - I've heard this is all the rage in Tear at the moment. Fabulous artistry from the Dres as always. I hope you will find good use of it. Anyway, thank you very much for your help. I don't have any further tasks for you now, but if in the future I require help I will remember to come and find you.

[Result: player-> additem "TR_extravagant_shirt_Dres" 1
Journal TR_m2_He_Blades 30]
So it all runs, but the result of getting the shirt and journal update doesn't ever work.
"Thank you to the Makers of Rules. To the Breakers of Backs. To the sincere Autocrats. To the false Democrats. To the Builders of Walls. To the Painters of Lines. To those who Tattoo Numbers. To those who point fingers. To those who count their greed. To those who split by colour. To those who smile their lies.

Thank you so very much."
MSam
Developer

Post by MSam »

Okay, updated to add that I've written all the scripts, dialogue and stuff for the last quest so 'technically' they're all finished.

But with 90% of the journal updates and scripts, they aren't working. I can't work out why! Even simple stuff, such as ingame dialogue isn't working. At one part it's supposed to go (something like)

You bastard I'll kill you!

Effects: 
ModDisposition -100
StartCombat Player
Goodbye
But even that doesn't work! If anyone could take a look at the file and work out what's wrong, I'll love* you. It's the 87kb one, not the 60 one...dunno why it uploaded it out of order.

Thank you so very much."
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Run the game without at any point pressing 'Yes to All' to skip loading errors. Doing that also skips any error messages you'd otherwise be getting in-game.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

MSam
Developer

Post by MSam »

And then, everything turned out to be okay, thanks to BC...

Thank you so very much."
MSam
Developer

Post by MSam »

This should be finished now.

I've run through all the quests and all the journals and scripts all work except for one - which is a forcegreeting when you leave Nisirel's shop. Though apparently, this works on other people's computers.

The quest rewards have a couple of outcomes:
Dwemer Dealings
-+1 Reputation Point (if they're turned in)
-3 Flasks and 200 gold (if you don't turn them in)
-Glass Staff (from the Telvanni)

Complicated Competition
-Gold (if turned in)
-Amulet (if you're a good person)

Observing Prospects
-House Dres Shirt (if you didn't bother talking to Hafinsel)
-House Dres Shirt and a sweet amulet (if you actually took the time to talk to Hafinsel)

Nisirel's quest is very dodgy. To the reviewer, please read-through and report any thing you think could help to improve the quest line.

With Aevan's quest, I can't implement it. This is because Cyria's previous quest is in Helnim quests 5-8. I can go back and add it into the other file if we still want it, though. Also, we never got around to doing anything with that 'Abandoned House' with the smugglers in it. Shaaaame.

This was made to the soundtrack of 'Black Swan'. It was a lot of fun! It was difficult to work with a file I didn't start with though. I will make a list of what's been changed in the game world later.

Thank you so very much."
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Submitting to Review.
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

ARGH. Someone help me, please!

This is what happens when I load MSam's ESP with the NEW Mainland ESM file (the one made by TESDTK from the ESP uploaded by Haplo). Same bug ingame.

[img]http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/6240/wtfng.jpg[/img]

Were some IDs changed in the Mainland? How can we fix this?
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

If the actual entry for the bookshelf used was modified somehow (by accident), when it is cleaned out using TESAME, it deletes the instances of that entry.

We have two options:
Clean the interior cell from the file using TESAME, and have someone else add whatever changes are required back in cleanly.

OR

Re-place the missing bookshelves.

arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

If we're to do any of this, probably we should ask for MSam to tell us what exactly he intended to edit in that cell.

Can MSam read this thread now that it is in Reviewing?
MSam
Developer

Post by MSam »

I didn't clean the cells since I just assumed TheGreatness changed something in them. I'll clean it when I get home.

I never get any of the problems you post. :P

Thank you so very much."
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

I also don't have the issues arvisrend is having. This means the issue is with arvisrend's file, I think. I will upload a new TR_Mainland.esm and TR_Mainland.esp soon; arvis, you should get the .esm and check again to see if it's an issue with your mainland file or with something else.

MSam
Developer

Post by MSam »

Okay so I cleaned the Rookery. I don't know what else has been changed in the other cells.

I also re-wrote one of the messages, and cleaned up the dialogue.

Review this file included instead. I'm thinking that the ForceGreeting will not work - it worked before only for avisrend, but if he's changing over the ESM it may be broken..? I dunno.
Attachments
TR_q2-8-Mis_MSam_2.esp
(81.46 KiB) Downloaded 16 times

Thank you so very much."
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Thanks Haplo, it works now.

And sorry for the bugreport about the missing bookshelves. I tried the old, non-cleaned version with Haplo's new mainland, and voila, the bookshelves are there.

I'll work with the cleaned version, though, because it seems that there was another bug introduced by the changes in the rookery: a floating book.

[img]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/1778/rookery1.jpg[/img]