q2-14-Mis

After a quest claim has been cleared by a review, the thread will be moved here. Discussion is still allowed.

Moderator: Lead Developers

MMMowSkwoz
Developer

Post by MMMowSkwoz »

Could you have it as follows?

On closing the chest, he forcegreets you if you are detected (i.e. not succesfully sneaking). Two situations:
1) You took his skooma: he's pissed and probably attacks you
2) You didn't take his skooma: he's slightly less angry and you can bluff your way out of a fight if you want
MaMeeshkaMowSkwoz - choose your syllables
Beave
Developer

Post by Beave »

I don't think a GetDetected command will be necessary, since you're right next to him, there is NO WAY he could not detect you. Besides that, I think it would be good just to be able to either apologize or try to muscle him if you didn't take the skooma. Alright, I'll do something like that.

@Faalen: I left this unanswered previously, but the two traders in the Twisted Root aren't really "competitors". They are both considering a different career after having been bullied out of Fort Windmoth, and they offer what goods they have left to Neldam. Do you think they should be scripted to move somewhere else after the quest is over? Or they could just disappear completely. I do hate Bethesda's quests where it is implied that someone is leaving, and they never leave. Take for example the House Hlaalu quest where you find whoever stole some document, and you can let the person leave town. Yet, she stays there.
Beave
Developer

Post by Beave »

Redone. Dialogue is more immersive, parts were redone to give the PC better directions. For now I just left Adriano and Syrinia alone. I also raised Shaga's rank to trooper, by default it was recruit.

Also, Faalen: When you played the quest and the traders didn't say anything, it was because you had already talked to Fedaves. That detail was put in Neldam's dialogue. I don't know why you had to talk to Salms before continuing the quest; talking to him isn't a requirement.

Hope you like it.
Beave
Developer

Post by Beave »

[BUMP]
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Post by Bloodthirsty Crustacean »

Okay, sorry for the long delay here.

I've had a check over both quests.

Verulas Pass's quest: First things first, there were a few problems here, at least one making the quest unplayable (seemingly so).

If a quest is initiated through rumours, it shouldn't be required that the player hears the rumour. I should be able to head straight to the guy and get the quest.

Using a topic that no one actually says (lack of customers) is a bit unorthodox. Normally topics ought to be hyperlinked from conversation, with a few exceptions. Perhaps this is one, but it seemed a bit weird to me, given Neldam's greeting was on the subject (on a side note, could you fix the poor grammar in that greeting?)

Anyway, the game breaker was that when I spoke to everyone in Verulas Pass, then returned to Neldam, I was unable to speak to him on any relevant topic. The fact that he had no in-quest greeting added to the confusion. You should always have a greeting along the lines of "have you been able to do anything about my lack of customers?" when a quest is in progress, rather than leaving it at the default greeting.

A check in the CS revealed that I hadn't actually spoken to everyone. However, you definitely need a topic from Neldam so that it doesn't look like the quest is just broken. He should say "are you sure you've spoken to everyone yet?" or anything just to indicate the player hasn't.

You don't StopScript the TR_m2_q_14_Tracker script. Any script that is a 'StartScript' must have a StopScript included within it's own script. Otherwise it runs forever and this is very bad.

"I have ask everyone in Verulas Pass to visit Neldam's shop" is frankly criminal. C'mon Beave. :P

I don't like that I'm immediately sunk if I show Fedaves the first goods, and am not allowed to have another go with the traders' goods.

The traders don't take any money from the player.

If Fedaves gets a journal for her refusal/acceptance, it seems only sensible that poems guy gets one too. He was supposed to be the other interested customer. It's weird also that Neldam doesn't care what that guy thought.

Fix these things. This quest is alright, but not your best, and not one of my favourites anyway. It can probably be considered finished after this, though, unless anyone has any other errors.

Fort Windmoth's quest:

A quick Details check immediately brought to my notice the script "TR_m2_NPC_Naleth". Unless this is a modified script that was preexisting in Map 2 (in which case it can pass), that is bad naming conventions.

Most of it works fine, a few more directions as to people's locations would be nice.

Also Naleth's dialogue should change more after the bust (not just 'my trade'). He should probably also comment on it in his greeting.

Make Orc girl's excuse as to why she hasn't checked his bedside chest more plausible. She's gotta get off duty some time.

Again, blokey could do with an in-quest greeting ("Have you been able to do anything about Naleth?" so that the player doesn't have to trawl the list to find which is the relevant topic)

Change the (probably 'vanilla') topic of Naleth's where he says Orc girl "is the only one who can resist my wares" or whatever. That sounds really lame. I'm sure there are others not on drugs, and the whole sentiment is just a bit strange. Just say he doesn't like Orc girl.

Overall pretty solid work, but could do with a touch more 'something'. Partly its the slightly 'off' nature of the dialogue in the NPC claim that's throwing these quests, I think.

Anyway, these are small settlements, and the miscs serve their purposes. Fix these up and you can go for another claim, unless anyone else has further errors.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals
a man melts the sand so he
can see the world outside

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Beave
Developer

Post by Beave »

You don't StopScript the TR_m2_q_14_Tracker script. Any script that is a 'StartScript' must have a StopScript included within it's own script. Otherwise it runs forever and this is very bad.
The command is there. I don't know what you're smoking.
I don't like that I'm immediately sunk if I show Fedaves the first goods, and am not allowed to have another go with the traders' goods.
The player shouldn't get "another go" because the trader isn't going to buy the goods back, they don't want them anymore. If you bought Syrinia's goods, then too bad.
If Fedaves gets a journal for her refusal/acceptance, it seems only sensible that poems guy gets one too. He was supposed to be the other interested customer. It's weird also that Neldam doesn't care what that guy thought.
Speaking with Salms is just an optional bit of excess information. I don't see why Neldam would take an interest afterwards since he concluded that ordeal when he gave you the supplies. What more is there to say?
A quick Details check immediately brought to my notice the script "TR_m2_NPC_Naleth". Unless this is a modified script that was preexisting in Map 2 (in which case it can pass), that is bad naming conventions.
It's a modified version of TR_m2_NPC. I suppose that means it passes.

Do you want me to just re-do the dialogue made for these two settlements. It was mentioned earlier that the NPC claimer was not originally English, and I don't mind reworking some of it.
MMMowSkwoz
Developer

Post by MMMowSkwoz »

I'm not too hot on the details of this quest, so correct me if I'm wrong, but why can't the player just try again spending their own money? The trader's don't need to buy anything back.

Also, TR_m2_NPC_Naleth should be renamed TR_m2_q_14_Naleth
MaMeeshkaMowSkwoz - choose your syllables
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Beave wrote:The player shouldn't get "another go" because the trader isn't going to buy the goods back, they don't want them anymore. If you bought Syrinia's goods, then too bad.
No, I mean that if the player says 'check this ring and soul gem from the store' she tells the player to get stuffed, and that's it. No chance to check with the traders' goods. This is just slightly confusing because most people would speak with the customer first (because she's in the first room), and then be screwed. Just tweak that, please.
Beave wrote:Speaking with Salms is just an optional bit of excess information. I don't see why Neldam would take an interest afterwards since he concluded that ordeal when he gave you the supplies. What more is there to say?
I'm pretty sure that earlier in the quest, you check with the townsfolk and both Fedaves and other guy say 'we'd be interested in goods'. Unless I missed something in the subsequent dialogue with shopkeeper where he says 'concentrate on Fedaves', they are both supposed to be viable options. Thus for one to not get a journal entry, and to be ignored by the shopkeeper seems odd. Just make it so that there's a journal and shopkeeper pays lip service to the fact that there had been two prospective customers.
Beave wrote:It's a modified version of TR_m2_NPC. I suppose that means it passes.
I mean that if it's something you created, it should be named as MowSkwoz suggested. If it's something that had been pre-existing in the file, then it's not such an issue.
Beave wrote:Do you want me to just re-do the dialogue made for these two settlements. It was mentioned earlier that the NPC claimer was not originally English, and I don't mind reworking some of it.
If you have the time, that would be great.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Beave
Developer

Post by Beave »

Sorry about all the misunderstandings. I have a bad habit of changing dialogue and not implementing it in the rest of the quest, or vise versa. Anyway, I've gone through all of the local dialogue and changed what ever I saw that needed improvement. Various little quest workings were fixed and improved. Hopefully it is the last version. One thing in particular, though: I changed Lucien Servano's (the drunk priest) dialogue so that he says goodbye upon greeting. As such, all of the other dialogue entries for him have been deleted, and this needs to be implemented in the master file once the quest file is merged.

EDIT: Forgot a few things, here you go.
Attachments
TR_q2-14-Mis.ESP
(106.63 KiB) Downloaded 139 times
Beave
Developer

Post by Beave »

[BUMP]
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

oops, submitting to review
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Sorry for missing this. Will check it out ASAP. A little busy right now.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Brilliant work Beave, terribly sorry for the delays.

The dialogue is good, the quests are perfectly functional. Me likey. You've also done a great work with the local dialogue. A lot less horrible now! :)

So yes, this is considered approved and can be merged whenever we next merge quests.

Nice work!
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Not
Lead Developer

Post by Not »

Okay, this file is NOT ready to be merged.

I wasn't sure what to do about this one because it was different from the rest. Unlike the others, this does not add dialogue, but instead replaces and deletes entries from the mainland.esp/esm. I wasn't sure how to go about cleaning that, or if it should be cleaned, so I left it alone, and figured I'd leave it to the experts.

On the other hand, I did clean out the cells and annotate what needed to be changed upon merging, (granted it was only one thing but still.)

Anyways, this one is up to the merger, I don't know if I should treat this like an ordinary plugin or what. I figure in order to successfuly merge this one you might have to clean out the actual TR_mainland of the entries, but again, I'll leave that to the experts.

Well best of luck with the merging, and hope everything works.

-Not
Attachments
TR_q2-14-Mis_Beave_4.rar
(29.43 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
Not another memory

...And so my bad karma gets worse
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Presumably this can be solved on merge by setting this file as the dominant file. If not, and if Haplo doesn't want to fix it all by himself while he still has other things to merge, I'll reopen this claim once SE is out the door.
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Claim has been merged into TR_Mainland and has been released with Sacred East.