q2-16-Mis

After a quest claim has been cleared by a review, the thread will be moved here. Discussion is still allowed.

Moderator: Lead Developers

Haplo
Lead Developer

q2-16-Mis

Post by Haplo »

Claim type: Quest
Claim ID: TR_q2-16-Mis (#1960)
Faction: Misc
Parent claim: TR_2-22-Tel (#85)
Claimed by: Theo
Files: TR_q2-16-Mis_Mortimer_1.esp; TR_q2-16-Mis_Mortimer_2.esp; TR_q2-16-Mis_Mortimer_3.esp; TR_q2-16-Mis_Mortimer_4.esp; TR_q2-16-Mis_Theo_1.esp; TR_q2-16-Mis_Theo_2.esp; TR_q2-16-Mis_Theo_3.esp; TR_q2-16-Mis_Theo_4.esp; TR_q2-16-Mis_Theo_5.esp; TR_q2-16-Mis_Theo_6.esp

---

Free at last?

Journal Entry: TR_m2_EP_Free
IDs: TR_m2_q_A8_5_
Quest Giver, Location: Midave Llarys, Erethan Plantation

Midave Llarys want’s the player to look into the disappearance of a slave from Erethan Plantation. Since the slave was last seen in the southern fields, he will ask the player to ask Pedivur, a Breton alchemist who lives in a tower to the south of the plantation if she knows anything about it (Midave would ask her himself, but doesn’t have the time and thinks that another outlander would have more luck talking to her.

Pedivur will tell the player that she knows nothing about the slave. However she will tell the player that she noticed a strange man creeping around the area near the plantation from her tower and that she noticed the man heading off in a northeastern direction from the plantation. Because she saw him on more than one occasion, she can give the player directions to the hideout.

The slave was captured, abducted or liberated (depending on whom you ask) by a Telvanni destruction mage, who is using him for non-lethal (but obviously not particularly pleasant) experiments with his school of magicka. The mage, when confronted, insists that it is purely voluntary (you see no shackles or locks), and the slave (when you meet him some rooms away) confirms but is somewhat scared. He says that he has been vaguely promised some basic armor and provisions for his way back to Black Marsh, but the mage seems rather reluctant to give him the reward. He asks you to try talking some sense into the mage.

You have the following options:

1. Tell the mage that the slave must return to its rightful owners. The mage attacks.

2. Ask the mage to reward the slave immediately and let him leave. The mage will insist that the slave is free to leave, but has not been helpful enough to earn his reward. And that by freeing the slave, he has already done more for him than he had to. He proposes that you find some 5 standard health pots and a few pieces of chitin armor for the slave and deliver them yourself; he doesn't believe you'll actually do this chore anyway. You can bring up some doubts about the "voluntarity" of the experiments and whether a slave that has just been freed can actually make such a decision. The mage remains steadfast (although YOU can still attack him).

Talk to the slave (optional):

If you killed the mage, the slave decides his best option now is to run away, even though he is probably doomed doing so in the middle of Indoril territory without even any armor. Next time the player comes back, he's gone.

If you didn't kill the mage, you learn nothing new.

You can now return to Erethan Plantation and deliver news to Midave Llarys for a suitable reward. Should you return to the ruin/cave, the mage and the slave both are dead - obviously they have resisted arrest.

But you can also bring up 5 standard health pots and a few pieces of chitin armor (need not be any particular pieces; just any 3, with gauntlets/pauldrons counting half, should suffice, BUT boots and helmet don't count) and give them to the slave. He will make off, rewarding you with some minor Resist Fire spell that he apparently got taught by the mage for the experiments. The mage, while not particularly happy, will not object.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Making this a formal claim. Lud has dibs on this one since he was working on the quest before it was formalized. I'll contact him to see if he's still interested in finishing this claim.
Lud
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lud »

Claimy-aimy.

I already have the majority of this claim done, and would still like to finish it.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Then, granting
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Hey Lud, how's it going?
Lud
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lud »

I've uploaded my old file, which is mostly done, above. However, I have been very busy for the past couple of weeks with a conference, so little has been done in the last few weeks. In a couple of weeks, I can devote some time to finishing this off.
"It’s all been such a mistake. We were once little shrew-like animals. That would be so much better."
-Ophelia Benson
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Ok, good luck!
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

How's the quest doing? Any hurdles or issues?
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Revoked, Lud hasn't been online since late July. Lud, if you're out there and want to finish it, let us know, but for now this claim is available for anyone who wants to finish it.
Lud
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lud »

Apologies for not coming online to say this earlier, but I don't see myself having a chance to work on this for a few months at least.
The last WIP is mostly done, however, so it shouldn't be much work for somebody else to finish this off.
"It’s all been such a mistake. We were once little shrew-like animals. That would be so much better."
-Ophelia Benson
Mortimer
Developer

Post by Mortimer »

Considering a claim, but before I do, do you have anything to upload post-July?
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

No problem Lud, I figured you'd be busy. Best of luck etc, here's hoping we see you again soon!

I'm assuming the July WIP is the latest, it was pretty far along already iirc. Wanna have a go at it Mortimer?
Mortimer
Developer

Post by Mortimer »

Sure I'll just click the little claimy button up north
Mortimer
Developer

Post by Mortimer »

Finish up what Lud started, essentially. There's enough here to work with so it shouldn't be too hard.
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Grant!
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

hi Morti, any news?
Mortimer
Developer

Post by Mortimer »

Why wrote:hi Morti, any news?
Working on it as hard as ever, unfortunately I got in a bad accident which gave me a concussion and a lot of stitches in my head. I'm trying to get caught up with schoolwork and lab work before I put the finishing touches on it.
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

Oh damn, good that you are alright. Real life has to come before modding, so don't worry about TR in the mean time.
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

A speedy recovery, Mortimer, and don't feel pressed (nobody has been expecting this to be done quickly).
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Oh wow, please take care and prioritize your recovery. As TF said, don't worry about this claim.
Mortimer
Developer

Post by Mortimer »

Thanks for all the support! Once I get my stitches out I'll post some pics :)

Updated with a new WIP, added the NPCs, assigned dialogue, cleaned the file, and just overall worked on a lot of things.

Edit: Uploaded an older file, 2 is the newest one.
Mortimer
Developer

Post by Mortimer »

Cleaned more out of it, tidied some dialogue, fixed uncompiling scripts and broken dialogue choices, and changed the week long wait to only two days (because really, why would a slaveowner who really wants this damn slave wait a whole week to investigate?). The reward for turning in the slave is 500 gold (too high? The NPC's are around level 10, also too high?) and a book. The reward for freeing the slave is a custom fire resist spell.

The only real controversial part is me leaving out the additional bluff to the slaveowner sending him on a wild goose chase to another unrelated cave. I figured that the player is obviously either going to tell him where the slave is or not, so it seems redundant. I can add it back in at request. I'm strongly considering adding in a "I freed your slave deal with it" dialogue choice which would obviously lead to an attack and the best of both worlds for radical abolitionists.

Let me know, I'm going to take some finals.

(Note - most work including all scripts, journal entries, and most dialogue was done by Lud. I just put it together and fixed things)

(Note 2 - This should probably have a more rigorous testing than I gave it (time constraints) but the quest is definitely completable. The quest is divided into three subquest/journal entries for each NPC involved and the dialogue is all based off conditionals for each, so maybe some obscure combination breaks it.)
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

There are some things I fail to understand here.

You use an NPC called TR_m2_q_midave_llarys which you don't put ingame -- apparently that should be left to the merger, but it doesn't work this way, because we need to playtest this quest before merging it. That's not a big deal, though. The problem is rather this: The true Midave Llarys is the head of the guard at Erethan Plantation, while the TR_m2_q_midave_llarys behaves like he would be the owner of the plantation (speaking of "my" slaves). I am also not sure whether his dialogue is very appropriate to any of the roles.

NPC IDs are chosen badly: TR_m2_q_ should be TR_m2_q_16_, as this is claim q2-16. Probably too late to fix now:(

Typo "finallly".

I've gotta leave for a meeting that has been rescheduled 5 mins ago, so I'll be very brief from now:

- "latest rumors" in Erethan Plantation: When disposition is low enough, maybe add some subtle accusing of the player to be behind the escape. (No serious in-the-face accusations, but some stuff between the lines to show the player that he is not welcome.)

- Pedivur might actually give the player a few healing pots if she likes him enough. Would be good for the atmosphere.

- I like the idea of the wild goose chase! What about telling that the slaves have been found in Hassulsallusalkit (a daedric shrine). The shrine does contain an argonian skull (which we might make unlootable), so this can lead the Erethan people to believe the slaves have been sacrificed.

On an unrelated note: [url=http://i.imgur.com/a25TE.jpg]best bug ever[/url]. One of many caused by our mess of leveled lists.
Mortimer
Developer

Post by Mortimer »

Fixed Midave and used the Mainland version, fixed Alavyne as well (exists currently)

Changed the NPC ID's of Pedivur and Warms-Her-Blood to the approved convention. Changed the script and journal entries as well.

Didn't find the "finally" typo but I found a few others that I fixed.

Still have to add the rumors, Pedivur potions, and the wild goose chase, but the dialogue is all in game for it.

Where is Pedivur located at (which tower)?
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

It's simply called "Pedivur's Tower". Thanks for the fixes, I'll look at it in a day or two!
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Not playtested this yet, just started reading the scripts.

Script TR_m2_q_16_FALtimer has an unnecessary repetition of "if localdayspassed > 1". Also, the "if localdayspassed > 1" loops can go inside the "if ( currentDay != Day )" loop, because there is no way the localdayspassed can be increased without the currentDay != Day condition being satisfied (and the journal entry must be at least 40 if the script is running).

I don't think "localdayspassed > 1" means that two days have passed. Note that the "currentDay != Day" condition is satisfied at the very start of the script (since the currentDay variable is initialized at 0, while Day is never 0), so only one change of day is needed to set localdayspassed to 1. I'd check for "> 2" instead.

Are you sure you want "if getdistance, player < 50" in script TR_m2_q_16_FALWarms? Also, the variables corresponding to the armor pieces are all messed up in that script.
Mortimer
Developer

Post by Mortimer »

After I finish my last final tonight I'll start looking at this again, thanks for the tips.
arvisrend wrote:Also, the variables corresponding to the armor pieces are all messed up in that script.
You know I thought the same thing, but in vanilla they are actually named "chitin guantlet - left/right"
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Chitin
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Oh, that's not what I meant. What I meant was this mismatch:

Code: Select all

if player -> getitemcount "chitin greaves" > 0
	set hasLgauntlet to 1
else
	set hasLgauntlet to 0
endif

if player -> getitemcount "chitin guantlet - left" > 0
	set hascuirass to 1
else
	set hascuirass to 0
endif
Anyway, does the helm really help an Argonian?
Mortimer
Developer

Post by Mortimer »

It has a chitin open helm with iirc they are able to wear?
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Oh, you're right! They can wear open helms.
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Hi Morti! This is your friendly neighborhood Head of Stories requesting an update. How are your stitches? Having fun with your NPC claim? Anyway, take care!
Mortimer
Developer

Post by Mortimer »

My NPC claim is very close to being finished in the next week. If I'm allowed I'd like to keep my train of NPC progress rolling while I'm in that mindset before finishing this one for good. I'm pretty sure this works it's just some slight scripting errors arvis mentioned that are fixable in no time at all plus linking one-two more dialogues with each other for another path through the quest. I'd like someone to look at the dialogue, though as that's 99% finished.
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Ok!

edit: should we use the 11 December file for the dialog?
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Here are some comments on the dialogue based off of your latest file. Mostly you misspelled gauntlet several times and forgot to capitalize "Argonian" about twenty times, but there are other errors as well. It is a .docx file for MS Word (only program that I have which supports comments. I figure if you're in school then you probably have it too)
Attachments
q2-16-Mis Dialogue.zip
(30.69 KiB) Downloaded 168 times

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Haplo, "guantlet" is the spelling used by Beth in the ID of that thing. One can't correct the spelling of an ID, no matter how wrong it is...

Also, %PCCLass is nicely suggestive :P
Mortimer
Developer

Post by Mortimer »

My open office works with it but in a very strange way. Every single comment is marked, but for each description instead of a single like like "change to armor" it lists the entire comment block. Makes it awfully strange, but it's definitely readable.

And yeah, chitin_guantlet is its real ID in the code.

¯\_(,_,)_/¯
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

oh... well Bethesda sucks -_-

arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Hi Mortimer, how's it going? Not an urgency in any way (the next public update isn't tooo soon), but I'd be interested in the status (and a file to playtest, even if not finished?).
rot
Lead Developer

Post by rot »

Revoke because, hey one year,

How much of the old work is to keep is up to the new claimant. Considering it was not finished and far from functional, I wouldn't blame anyone for wanting to start from scratch. The quest plan may need updating due to locations (and ofc feel free to tweak it)
Theo
Developer Emeritus

Post by Theo »

I have some spare time and consider claiming this one, but as a non-native English speaker and person with at best mediocre lore and literature talents I cannot provide a top notch dialogue. If you think me creating outline, scripts and placeholder dialogue is worty enough effort to be replaced later by someone more competent, I am willing to give it a try.
I will post a more detailed technical design of this claim first, before touching anything in CS, if granted.