Map 3 NPC Claim #2 [Yeti]

After an exterior claim has been cleared by a review, the thread will be moved here. Discussion is still allowed.

Moderator: Lead Developers

Haplo
Lead Developer

Map 3 NPC Claim #2 [Yeti]

Post by Haplo »

Map:

[url=http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/9596/map3detailingclaim2hl4.jpg][img]http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/9596/map3detailingclaim2hl4.th.jpg[/img][/url]

Almas Thirr & Dondril & Roa Dyr
Attachments
TR_Map_3_Detailing_A2.esp
(3.62 MiB) Downloaded 202 times
Last edited by Haplo on Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:16 am, edited 6 times in total.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

I am taking this for the moment, in order to create a concept for the Thirr river region I'd like both sides of the river. But I will mainly focus on the Thirr part of this, since not all of it is being Thirrified.
SIGILLVM COMMVNITATIS DE CIVITATE BERGENSI
Katze
Developer Emeritus

Post by Katze »

Are you actually making these, or just planning? I'd really like to do a Thirr River Valley claim myself at some point.
"If a hermaphroditic, bug-armored, bipolar god-king existing in multiple universes who has his very own bible with *actual* magic strewn throughout it is your idea of a cliche, then I really would like to live in your world." -MK

"You say a lot of things. And how does that work? You're a bicycle"

Tea is important.
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Cathartis wrote:Are you actually making these, or just planning? I'd really like to do a Thirr River Valley claim myself at some point.
Hehe, I'm not doing the entire Thirr region no. It's mainly the planning. I need to see how it looks on both sides of the river.
SIGILLVM COMMVNITATIS DE CIVITATE BERGENSI
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Unlocking. Detailing time! For the coast, please match it as close as possible to the latest file for 4-13-Hla. Note that 4-13-Hla's latest file includes a lot of Map 3 land. Also, the Minas Tirith-looking cliff topped with a giant Daedra statue needs to go. Again, please change it to something similar to the area in 4-13-Hla.

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

alex25
Developer

Post by alex25 »

I'd like to claim this if possible since my ext is going well and dosen't have all models done so i can't realy finish it.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

What models do you think you are waiting for? I'm not aware of any you should be waiting on. Also, since you are a new exterior modder, and since your current claim is your first one, and it's a very important claim, I am going to say no to your claiming this.

EDIT: I also would prefer the claimant to cut off the extra cells from 4-13-Hla and use them here; there's a lot changed for the better in Nemon's file.

Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

Claiming. Will do as requested by Haplo concerning Nemon's cells.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

I would like to see what your plans are for finishing Almas Thirr first. Dondril and Rouaf Duhr are done exterior-wise, but might need some bug-checking.

Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

I wasn't aware Almas Thirr needed any reworking. What kind of work would you want me to plan out?
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

it is just a canton, no detail has been done. Might be other things as well
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

Well, for Almas Thirr, by idea is as follows:

Move the shack village to the east bank, as they're Indoril (or so the claims claim). Add a small velothi style harbour to the canton building (north side) and possibly add some sort of lighthouse, in velothi if possible.
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

Why would it need a lighthouse?
<insert witty signature here. i might spend time trying to come up with something, but its not like anybody reads these anyway>
Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

So ships at night know how to follow the river.
Katze
Developer Emeritus

Post by Katze »

A full-blown lighthouse seems a bit much for an inland river. Signal fires, maybe. Plus, aren't lighthouses to warn ships of dangerous waters?
"If a hermaphroditic, bug-armored, bipolar god-king existing in multiple universes who has his very own bible with *actual* magic strewn throughout it is your idea of a cliche, then I really would like to live in your world." -MK

Tea is important.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Don't move the foreign quarter, that's completely unnecessary. It is Temple; the claims just were never updated. The "shack village" is the Almas Thirr Foreign Quarter (as specified in the cell in the .esp, IIRC). Almas Thirr just needs detail; I was asking what your plans were for detailing it (adding scaffolding, clutter, a gondola ramp?)
Cathartis wrote:Plus, aren't lighthouses to warn ships of dangerous waters?
Yes.

I would never get on a boat captained by someone who couldn't navigate a straight line.

Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

Well then, I'd make the gondola ramp accessible, or replace it with a dock. Otherwise, I think this should be similar to the cantons in Vivec, but maybe give this some small market stalls.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Post by Bloodthirsty Crustacean »

If you could make some Velothi extensions that looked like a natural part of the canton city, that could look quite nice?

Also, haven't 'shack slums' things been overdone? Doesn't really seem in keeping with this high-political location... but this is only a suggestion. Maybe there's a reason for it.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals
a man melts the sand so he
can see the world outside

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

I do think I could do some velothi additions that look good. But to be entirely honest, I need to know what people really want from this place.
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

Aeven wrote:I need to know what people really want from this place.
Though I don't have much expertise with exteriors, I took a look at Almas Thirr and I would have to say that the foreign quarter would look better in Velothi. The shack village just doesn’t look right to my eyes next to a grand canton. It would take a bit of work to redo since all the interiors for those shacks have already been made but there will at least likely be plenty of places in the future where those can be recycled.

Just a suggestion... :)
Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

What I do know is that one of those Vivec-style banners, but with Almalexia on it, would look really good here.
Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

nix the shack village

A collection of velothi buildings away from the canton surrounded by a wall would do a deal better for a "foreign quarter"
"Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse considerations have diverse names."

"How dare you question the colonnade!" - one of the Glorious Leaders

"Nemon + IKEA = creationism" - some guy

"The layout is awesome, the scale is awesome, the whole city is just awesome!" - Tyrion on Blacklight, circa 2007
Katze
Developer Emeritus

Post by Katze »

Aeven wrote:What I do know is that one of those Vivec-style banners, but with Almalexia on it, would look really good here.
Almas Thirr is Temple, not Indoril. A banner depicting all three triunes or a combined Tribunal symbol would be good, though.

Tea is important.
Adanorcil
Developer Emeritus

Post by Adanorcil »

As another suggestion for the (ex-) shack village, for everyone's consideration: do we need a foreign quarter? Really, a foreign quarter is something that should be restricted to just the very biggest cities. In other cities, foreigners would live here-and-there, or just be absent entirely.

I don't really see why this place would need one. I suppose it was the whole canton thing that suggested it. But either way, it's been done before and in more suitable locations. I imagine Almas Thirr is more of a temple stronghold like Molag Mar, conveniently situated on the river. Otherwise it's at risk of just becoming 'another city'.
Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

I agree with Adanorcil's post above. A foreign quarter would seem awkward and un-natural here, even more so if it were a shack village.
"Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse considerations have diverse names."

"The layout is awesome, the scale is awesome, the whole city is just awesome!" - Tyrion on Blacklight, circa 2007
Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

Couldn't this just be granted? I can start work on the Thirr valley areas first, and allow the discussion about Almas Thirr to continue first.

What I could do it move the shack village closer to the mouth and put it on the east bank, and make it an ordinary village, perhaps added on to with a max of five Velothi or Indoril buildings. Otherwise, make Almas Thirr a bit like Molag Mar, functioning purely as a Temple fortress.
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

Aeven wrote: Otherwise, make Almas Thirr a bit like Molag Mar, functioning purely as a Temple fortress.
Isn't Almas Thirr suppose to be a trade center? That's more or less what Sload had it outlined as here: [url]http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=20019[/url]
Katze
Developer Emeritus

Post by Katze »

I was trying to describe that to Haplo earlier, but didn't know where the thread for it was.

Tea is important.
Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

Trade center or fortress, it should just be the canton and maybe a cluster of Velothi structures. Remember, the cantons are pretty big.

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Sload's post doesn't mention anything actually happening at Almas Thirr except the tariff, which is what I said on IRC, if I recall correctly. There should be some Velothi structures or whatnot around, but if you can't find a suitable location for the shack village as a whole, break it up into chunks/individual shacks spaced around. The canton proper is still stronghold-centric.

But look at the interiors already in existence for the canton, and place your "Velothi growths" accordingly (think of what isn't already there that needs to be, and add as needed, built-to-fit per se).

Also, have some patience dude.

Granted.

Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

If anyone cares to see my idea for Roa Dyr. If people hate it, I'll do something else to it.
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

Sorry to say I personally don't like it. It takes up three exterior cells, which is overkill. You'll never get it to look right and consistent that way with those pieces. The town doesn't have any "flow" for want of a better word. I'm also left wondering why someone would build a town like that in a place like that in the first place.
<insert witty signature here. i might spend time trying to come up with something, but its not like anybody reads these anyway>
Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

It was always three cells. Anyway, the concept for this originally was to have an Indoril town with canals, but I didn't like the original.
Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

It's far too angular, and as the angles are all very odd and not regular it just ends up looking very eclectic and not very pleasing to the eye. I like the idea, but it would be nice if you followed a more natural pattern, like having the town built over a collection of natural islands. I also think it would be really cool if you could terrace the island/platforms, like have two levels, but I don't know how feasible that would be.

Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

I've restarted work on Roa Dyr, using the old version and going from there. I'm interested in what people thing of it.
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

Sorry to say this but I still prefer the original.
Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

Nomadic, the original is unworkable due to various issues, among others the ind_plat_01 one.

I have rearranged various stuff now, and once it's fully detailed, it should look a lot better.
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Quick question, is Almas Thirr going to stay as high and bulky as it is? I think it would look way better and more elegant if you brought it down and extended the bridges onto the balcony floor instead of having such a sky-high base. It'd also allow for some easier transition to a hypothetical harbor area attached to the canton.
Katze
Developer Emeritus

Post by Katze »

The bridges need to remain high enough that ships can pass under them, as the river Thirr is the centre of Morrowind ship trade.

Tea is important.
Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

Almas Thirr is no longer getting a harbour, as nearby Roa Dyr will now have a small one.