Map 3 NPC Claim #4 East [Why]

After an exterior claim has been cleared by a review, the thread will be moved here. Discussion is still allowed.

Moderator: Lead Developers

Haplo
Lead Developer

Map 3 NPC Claim #4 East [Why]

Post by Haplo »

Map:
This claim consists of the shaded cells east of the dotted blue line.
[url=http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/5596/cutte.jpg][img]http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/5596/cutte.th.jpg[/img][/url]

Wilderness

Edit by Nemon:

River Map:

[url=http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/6483/map3rivers1xv9.jpg][img]http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/6483/map3rivers1xv9.th.jpg[/img][/url]
Attachments
TR_Map_3_Detailing_A4East.esp
(1.79 MiB) Downloaded 164 times
Last edited by Haplo on Wed May 05, 2010 1:37 am, edited 8 times in total.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

This is ready for NPCing. It has a large Daedric ruin and an abandoned Imperial Keep, so most of the NPCs will be wilderness claims or straight-up outdoors wilderness monsters. See first post for claim file.

The abandoned Imperial Keep interior is here:
http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?p=125674

Claimer should merge it once it is approved.
Last edited by Haplo on Tue May 04, 2010 3:23 am, edited 3 times in total.

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

Katze
Developer Emeritus

Post by Katze »

For quests in this region, there's a strange circle of stones with a tree in the middle. I figured it might be some kind of ritual circle, and could be used in a misc quest where a crazy pagan/cultist/wildman is using the circle to summon spriggans to protect the wilderness against Hlaalu Encroachment and land reclamation, or something to that effect. Sound like an alright idea?

In a more general light, I meant some kind of force that protects the wilderness from development and corruption by the city folk. Spriggans were just an example. It could act as a dream-poison I guess, causing strange sleepwalking episodes in the locals who rest nearby, I guess.
"If a hermaphroditic, bug-armored, bipolar god-king existing in multiple universes who has his very own bible with *actual* magic strewn throughout it is your idea of a cliche, then I really would like to live in your world." -MK

"You say a lot of things. And how does that work? You're a bicycle"

Tea is important.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Post by Bloodthirsty Crustacean »

Doesn't really work in heartlands Morrowind, people have been living here for eras. In some backwater pagan forest in Skyrim, maybe. Not here. But some kind of cool thing could go down with the circle, I like the idea.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals
a man melts the sand so he
can see the world outside

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Exteriors approved and claim now ready for NPCing.

Katze
Developer Emeritus

Post by Katze »

Seemed Appropriate.
Attachments
Photo-0176J.jpg
(321.12 KiB) Downloaded 231 times
"If a hermaphroditic, bug-armored, bipolar god-king existing in multiple universes who has his very own bible with *actual* magic strewn throughout it is your idea of a cliche, then I really would like to live in your world." -MK

Tea is important.
RelinQ

Post by RelinQ »

@_@...

Well... I'll give you that, It is appropriate. XD
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

I'd like to claim this one. Looks like a good first NPC claim.

I know I haven't really gotten any work done lately, but that's partially because I'm totally out of inspiration for my m2 quest claim - I'll be cleaning it up and dropping it, even though it just needs a little bit more work. The next claimant should be able to finish it quite easily. More details will go in that thread.

I will fill this claim with NPCs, pathgrinds and quests all more appropriate than roadsigns and traffic lights.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Sounds good, Granting.

Check my NPC claim (A5) for the gist of the various 'unwritten' protocols to follow in terms of how these things work. We should probably write those at some point... Not now though, no time.

I'll tell you if you've done anything silly when you upload a file.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Any specifics on which sort of creatures should go into the swamp? Standard Netch, Mudcrab and Nix hound, or throw in some Durzogs as well, like you did in Inlet Bog? In fact, what's this region called?
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Double post, lack of edit.

I take it this, too, is Inlet Bog since it directly borders your claim. What worries me a bit though is that the foliage in your neighboring cells is much denser than in mine, but I guess that will be fixed on merge.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Inlet Bog is a plausible yet placeholder name that may or may not be changed. For the most part, you can use the TR_r_InletBog levelled creatures rather than handplacing stuff. (There should be levelled creatures for all the other regions as well)

The 'border seam' there may or may not be fixed on merge. It's the kind of thing that I notice very much, but whether it is fixed depends on how enthusiastic our border fixers are, and as we get nearer to release, the less keen people get to delay things. Personally, if you can do it without looking poor, I'd make small tweaks to even out the balance yourself, by adding foliage and whatnot, as necessary, to your side.

In addition, I'd give scum surfaces to those watery pools on your side of the claim border.

The road textures in our two claims are also noticably different. Extend that first (scum covered) pool so that it covers part of the road. Put a bridge over the pool, and then make the small bit of road which heads to my claim have the road texture of my claim, while the other side of the bridge can be dirt track.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

WIP number one. Exterior cells have been creatured, added a few pathgrids and one NPC. In other words, not a mindblowing amount of progress but progress nonetheless. BC, could you please take a quick look at it and tell me if I've done anything wrong?

Question time! Teknilashashulpi, the huge Daedric ruin in the east of this claim, has a broken statue of Boethiah in the east tower in the exterior, but a statue of Azura in it's interior. Which prince is this one supposed to be dedicated to? Should I swap one of the statues?
Attachments
TR_Map_3_Detailing_A4East_Why_1.esp
WIP
(1.8 MiB) Downloaded 175 times
immortal_pigs
Developer

Post by immortal_pigs »

I think it should be Boethiah, for one because a large Daedric Ruin in a hostile area like the Inlet Bog seems better suited to Boethiah. I'd imagine Azura would have more secluded shrines.

I think "Nilashashulpi" would be better then "Teknilashashulpi", the "Tek" seems un daedric ruin like. :P
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

I would ask Adanorcil about the statues.

Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

weren't we planning on having map 3 have the cult of azura?
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

That's likely, but that was also years ago. Hence asking Adanorcil would be a good idea, and asking BC as well, since I don't know if he is planning any Cult of Azura quests.

Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Regardless, I think this should be Azura since there already is a Boethiah shrine in the same claim, albeit a small sunken one. I'll stay away from it for now, but if nobody has any definitive answers by the time I finish this I'll just remove the remains of the broken Boethiah statue.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Hey, this needs an update by Friday. Any news?

Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Not really. The last few weeks before my holiday I've been quite busy with other stuff, actually more so than before university closed. However I'll be back from my vacation on Wednesday, and since I won't have much else to do the coming few weeks I'm looking forward to doing a lot of modding. Expect an update by Friday.
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Update. A bit smaller than I had hoped, but still I got some work done.
Attachments
TR_Map_3_Detailing_A4East_Why_2.esp
(1.81 MiB) Downloaded 191 times
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Quest idea:

Right when you enter the Ruinous Keep Main Hall (the necromancer hideout) you are greeted by a Breton male in a common_robe_01. He'll introduce himself as the lord of the keep, and welcome you to his humble abode. He won't try to hide the fact that he is a necromancer, but since he is very powerful, he is confident that you're not going to attack him. He asks you to follow him to the dining table, and introduces you to his wife, a lich. The couple invites you to stay as long as you wish, as they rather enjoy the company of someone who is courageous enough to visit them. They warn you that you are to leave their experiments alone though. You can choose to kill the couple, but they will be very powerful indeed, and no character below level 30 should hope to stand a chance against them.

In the basement, you find a Skeleton Jailor and a captive Ordinator. This Ordinator tells you he and his sister (who lies dead in the cell opposite to his) were sent to kill the necromancers in this keep. Obviously they didn't stand a chance, and they were thrown in the keep's dungeon with their armors half-intact (the male ordinator is missing a cuirass, boots and right pauldron, his dead sister still has these pieces but misses other ones). Once in the cell, his sister, who still had her ebony katana with her, took her own life after being visited by one of the necromancers. This of course greatly disturbed our friend. The player will suggest to confront the necromancers together, but first this ordinator wants you to retrieve his sister's armor and katana so that he can use them against his captors.

You kill the Skeleton Jailor (who is passive until you try to open one of the doors) and retrieve the key to the holding cells. Upon activating the body of the Ordinator's sister though, she is raises from the dead with a loud undead moan and starts attacking you. You kill her again and give the ordinator her armor and weapon (this will involve some talking to him, he is quite obviously freaked out his sister just died for the second time). Together you confront the necromancers. If our ordinator friend survives, he will thank you and say he will stay behind to watch over his sister's body, and both disable on cellchange. If you already killed the necromancers, the Ordinator will still ask you to bring him his sister's belongings, and she will still raise and attack you.

I'll leave some room for an introductory journal entry. Possibly this can become a temple quest (given at the Ordinator Fortress in Almalexia?) where you need to find the dispatch of Ordinators of War sent to the keep, and collect a reward if you report the necromancers' demise.
Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

I like that quest idea. However, shouldn't there be an alternative where you side with the necromancers and enthrall both Ordinators?
Worsas
Developer

Post by Worsas »

I wonder what you had in mind regarding the undead sister. Will it just be an npc or is it going to be some creature (i cant think of any)? And how will you show that she's undead?

I had the idea, i could make an animation file for her, that exchanges the default running-animation by a more undead-looking one. I would just need to make a single animation for that, its feasible. Perhaps, even another hand-to-hand-attack?

This quest is very MEAN.
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

@Aeven: I've been thinking about that, but I couldn't really come up with something fitting. I don't know if we really should make a Necromancer version for this quest, since Morrowind doesn't really allow you to play necromancer anyway. I'll post if I cope up with something though and if you have any ideas I'd love to hear them.

@Worsas: She's just an NPC. I was planning to fake her death through script, make her fall over and then disable her animations, freezing her in place, exactly like a dead NPC. To resurrect her I'd simply re-enable her animations and have her stand up while playing some zombie sound (and possibly have a flashy magic effect on her). I could also replace her voice files with those of a bonewalker, or something similar, but I don't know if I really want to do that. I wasn't planning on adding any new animations, though it would definitely be a cool idea. Do new animations need to be added to TR_Data or something? If so we should probably ask Haplo if it's okay. I was planning to have her fight with her katana but hand-to-hand would be a possibility too. A new walking animation would be awesome.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

If it's possible to make a playable necromancer quest, we should absolutely go for it; reasoning being that since Morrowind doesn't allow for it, we should definitely add it in. Most people probably won't go for it, but for those who do enjoy the rare addition, it will make the mod all that more enjoyable.

I'm not greatly familiar with animations, but they'll need to be attached to a creature or body part mesh; they aren't just freeform files. (Well, the .kf bit is freeform, but you only have .kf files for other .nif files with the same name)

Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Ok, good point.

To be honest I don't really get the animation business, but if Worsas can provide me with a file and an explanation on how to make it work I'll be happy to include it.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

My post is only applicable if, as I mentioned, it's possible for you to figure out a feasible way of doing.

Animations, IIRC, are like adding new clothing to TR_Data; incredibly painful and make you want to kill yourself before you can finish them without any problems.

Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

New animations for just one quest is probably a lot of work for not much gain.

The whole 'lich wife' thing seems a little hammy to me, not creepy.

For the rest, if you can make it work, it's probably alright.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Worsas
Developer

Post by Worsas »

Animation files are the files added to npc's to make them dance or do other special things they wouldn't do otherwise. You just attach an animation file to the npc in the npc-window. That animation-file basically replaces one or more of the default animations. So it should also be possible to replace the default running-animation.

There is a ready skeleton to make npc-animations from by Arcimaestro Antares that you can download and use. Well, I can give it a try at least.
Worsas
Developer

Post by Worsas »

Hmm. I cant edit my post above.
I only want to add that I will probably make such an animation file for the mere sake of testing it. If we can add such a thing, it won't harm anything (other than Haplo maybe).

Other than that I don't want to fill this thread with this little topic anymore. Just go on doing your quest ;) Sorry for interferring.
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

I'll be on vacation 'till about this time next week. If a miracle happens and this needs to be completed before or very shortly after that, feel free to revoke it, if not, I'd very much like to keep it. I should still be able to get a nice monthly update out.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Any news on how this is going, Why?

Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Slow but steady. Currently adding the last NPCs to the places that haven't been NPCd yet. Not much dialogueing has been done yet.

My current thoughts about the big Daedric shrine in my claim: decided it'll be a non-hostile shrine to Azura. There'll be a magical barrier right behind the entrance, and a priest will give the player a small quest in order to pass this barrier. The PC will be told to seek out another shrine to Azura (a small one hidden in a cave in BC's finished A5 claim, together with this huge ruin, these are the only Daedric shrines in our files so far explicitly belonging to Azura) where a friendly Winged Twilight will give the player a small insignificant attribute blessing. Upon obtaining this blessing the magical barrier will be removed. The shrine won't contain anything epic. Just another Daedric shrine, but this time with friendlies and dedicated to Azura. Probably some dialogue about Azura revealing some lore things about him/her. (Will probably need a lore check when I'm done.)

Most of this still has to be implemented, so if you have criticisms, throw them at me while you can.

Another thing, can my lich have a phylactery to store it's soul in, or is that a lame Oblivion D&D ripoff? It isn't neccesary for my lich to have her soul stored, but it would add to the atmosphere I'm trying to create here.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

I don't like magical barriers. They tend to seem 'moddy' and a bit cheap.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

I know - that's why I planned on not doing a ghostfence-style thing for once, and merely have a collisionwall with attached messagebox "you are pushed back by an invisible force" or something more appropriate. Sounds better? If not, I could just add in another door, or lock the exterior door and place the NPC besides it.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Why not remove the door/doorjamb/entrance and script it so that it isn't placed until you receive the blessing? The priest can explain through dialogue that you won't be granted entrance without the blessing.

Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

You mean the actual front door? I don't know how that'd look plausible, changing the architecture by just getting a blessing. I'll just lock the gate, you guys are right, magical barriers are overused already. Lich question still stands ;)
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

I'm not familiar with it; if you can do it without it being cheesy, I say go for it.

Katze
Developer Emeritus

Post by Katze »

You could have a script on the door that teleports you back outside when you try to activate it unless you have the blessing, perhaps?

Tea is important.