Map 3 NPC Claim #7 [Bloodthirsty Crustacean]

After an exterior claim has been cleared by a review, the thread will be moved here. Discussion is still allowed.

Moderator: Lead Developers

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Hey Yeti, it's been a month since you made that offer. Any news on that?
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

No, I couldn't think of anything. BC doesn't seem to have started on the first quest plan I made for this anyway.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

For Dreynim, since it has a shipwright (I don't know of any existing quests, so let me know if this is already in place), what about a quest for the shipwright, who has been given a special order and needs some unique materials (Shalk resin comes to mind) to complete the order. So you go kill some Shalks somewhere else, come back and give them to him, only to learn he's had his tools stolen! So he asks you to search about town since he will be busy preparing the resins and whatnot, doing what he can without tools, in which you find them having been stolen by a thief, claiming to be visiting his aunt/uncle in the village. (These tools can be a unique hammer with a generic "Shipwright's hammer" name or something, and maybe a new item that uses the Dwemer satchel mesh/textures/icon, called "Shipwright's tools").

You can either agree to cover up the thief's tracks for gold by saying you "found" the tools, or deny the thief's request, at which point he attacks you (like Murder of Processus in Seyda Neen).

Maybe?

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

BC?

Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Post by Bloodthirsty Crustacean »

I'll keep it simple and just leave it with what we've got. I should have some modding time in a few weeks, so can hopefully wrap that last quest for Seitur up soon.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals
a man melts the sand so he
can see the world outside

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Any news on that Seitur quest? It's been nearly two months.

Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Been wanting to get this one all done in one fell swoop, alongside the Bisandryon NPCing.

Right now wouldn't have the time even if that did come up though, so if there's someone champing at the bit to get their hands on this claim, I'd be more than happy to pass it over.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Good news, Bisandryon is now (re)approved, so now it can be re-merged into this claim.

Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Thanks; will get on wrapping this one up as soon as I can.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Hi boss, while I was strolling through the LO today checking out the effects of MGE XE, I stumbled across the Salvu residence. The dialog you've got in place there is awesome, however, I don't think it's a good idea for the guy to be entertaining guests in his dining room. Assuming this is a person the player will visit more than once, they'd just kinda be standing there, forever.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Tell that to the rest of Morrowind... :P

I like having scenes like that, rather than just having everyone doing nothing (because no activity is really justified other than 'working' or 'doing nothing'; you just kinda suspend disbelief about these kinds of thing - it's like quests; even with RAI in Oblivion everyone politely waits for the player to arrive before getting on with things, etc.)

P.S. in my limited downtime I am looking at getting this wrapped up when I get the chance, made a quick start on Bisandryon NPCing a few days back.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

I like these scenes too, however, perhaps this NPC isn't one of those that should have such static company. Having said that, it's not really a big deal, so whatever you think is best will work for me.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Any news on that wrap up, BC?

Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Holidays are approaching, so free time should hopefully come with them. Once I am actually able to sit down with this for a couple of hours it shouldn't take more than a day or so.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

All wrapped up, at last.

Have yet to test the last quest, but it's pure dialogue + 1 identikit timer script so all should be well (though typos and stuff can always throw unexpected spanners).
Attachments
TR_Map_3_Detailing_A7_bis.ESP
(7.37 MiB) Downloaded 128 times
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Submitting to Review

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Approving! I went through all the dialogue, greetings, and journals, and tested a few things.

This file should be clean, but feel free to check it, anyone... there might be something I missed.

BC: remember not to name cells "centre" or use the word "whilst" :-P

Also, holy shit Nethril Plantation is huge.
Attachments
TR_Map_3_Detailing_A7.ESP
(7.37 MiB) Downloaded 29 times

Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

is 'whilst' bad too? aww man, what'd you guys do to our language :P
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

I wouldn't call it bad, per se... it's just that while the British were busy ruling the rest of the world, America was busy simplifying your language. :-P

Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

4/7/2011 (00:23) TR_Map_3_Detailing_A7.esp 2/25/2011 (10:42) Windows Terrain_rocks_WG_02 Lan Orethan Region (29,-21) 243743 -170927 16 "Caspering"

4/9/2011 (10:59) TR_Map_3_Detailing_A7.esp 2/25/2011 (10:42) Windows TR_m3_Belsu Rithnim00000000 Dreynim (29,-23) 243932 -185348 163 "Has no dialogue options"

4/9/2011 (11:06) TR_Map_3_Detailing_A7.esp 2/25/2011 (10:42) Windows terrain_rock_wg_14 Nedothril Coast Region (36,-23) 295498 -184337 468 "spiky land next to it"

In general, I feel this place lacks a lot of unique dialogue for the region. NPCs seldom have dialogue to tell the player about the area, and the little dialogue they do have is generic mostly. Topics like "Lan Orethan" for example are restricted to a tiny amount of people.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

At the advice of Why and Aeven, throwing up a small update to include a 'Dreynim' topic for NPC filler. (p.s. guys rather than wait for me to get chatting with ave on IRC, it'd be faster just to post any criticisms or additions you'd like made right here; or PM me)

Haven't touched those world errors.
Attachments
TR_Map_3_Detailing_A7.esp
(7.38 MiB) Downloaded 145 times
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

In that case, please add entries for Savants too, in town name topics (probably add a Bisandryon topic too, don't forget ShowMap) and possibly region names topics for scouts, if that isn't taken care of in another file somewhere.

Dialog looks very nice and fleshed out, boss, wish I could write like that. I'll *try* to do a proper review of this in the near future.

I feel we're gonna need to discuss some dialog standards though - in many ways vanilla is more organized than we are and since dialog is not just a flavor thing but actually an important gameplay mechanic to find your way around the world, I think we're gonna have to stick to vanilla somewhat more closely, structure-wise anyway. But I don't have time to elaborate on that right now, I'll write down my concerns somewhere in a lot more detail soon though. Some food for thought, I want to plead for more standardization of town name, region name and town-specific topics like Services and Someone in particular, etc, as well as address the project's complete ignoring of Greeting 9, which is actually an important group of greetings in terms of guiding the player to other (place-specific) important topics.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

I'll deal with those pesky world errors once everyone is satisfied with the dialogue work.

Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Why, on standardisation, I always try to follow this list: http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?p=226191#226191

I don't think I've ever missed Services or Someone, but if I have it wasn't intentional.

I always had a Lan Orethan and Nedothril Coast scout topic, there are no other regions (of note) in this file.

Anyways, I agree with all you're saying, so please do elaborate on your thoughts.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

A little note on the actual NPCing side of things: the various slaves around this area aren't freeable. It would be good practice to make them so, if only because certain players love doing that.

Also, if I speak a guard at a plantation, I would expect to be able to ask him about where I am, and who he guards.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Ave, all TR guards are by default noLore. I wish you'd stop passively ragging on me for that one as if it's just me being totally dumb. And if that is your point at least come out and name me. :P

It only needs fixing if map 1 guards have such dialogue. I don't recall that they do, and tbh it doesn't bother me if they don't. If they do, then for sure we can fix this.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

IIRC they do, and a guard having literally no topics is not a good thing.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

I'm editing TR_Data.esm to add a TR_NPC_guard script to attach to NPC guards which is identical to TR_NPC script except it does not include the line:

short NoLore

Hopefully this is a suitable solution. Arvisrend is wondering why TR NPCs need NoLore, and I would like to know as well.
Attachments
TR_Map_3_Detailing_A7.ESP
(7.37 MiB) Downloaded 110 times

Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

I think the topic "Nethril Plantation" could use a bit more than just "This is the Nethril Plantation." which is rather silly.

That, and some people telling me what the Lan Orethan region is known for would be nice.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

What is the Lan Orethan region known for? Also what is some dialogue I could add to Nethril plantation?

Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

Among other things, it's a breadbasket for House Indoril and supplies many of the foodstuffs for Her City. It's also the place where many prominent Indoril nobles make their home.
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

It's also a forest where its easy to get lost in when you leave the main roads (or, I hope it is. That is what I set out to do when I designed it).
<insert witty signature here. i might spend time trying to come up with something, but its not like anybody reads these anyway>
Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

Believe me, it is ;)