Map 3 NPC Claim #8 [Stryker, Yeti]

After an exterior claim has been cleared by a review, the thread will be moved here. Discussion is still allowed.

Moderator: Lead Developers

Haplo
Lead Developer

Map 3 NPC Claim #8 [Stryker, Yeti]

Post by Haplo »

Map:

[url=http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/4089/map3detailingclaim8pu6.jpg][img]http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/4089/map3detailingclaim8pu6.th.jpg[/img][/url]

Bosmora & Gorne
Attachments
TR_Map_3_Detailing_A8.esp
(5.66 MiB) Downloaded 203 times
Last edited by Haplo on Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:55 am, edited 12 times in total.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

Interiors for A8

[28, -26] Dunmeri Stronghold
[29, -28] Indoril manor (Taythionis Quarry foreman's home?)
[30, -31] Indoril stronghold ("reserved" by Andres)
[30, -29] OM Manor
[30, -29] Indoril house with dock. Possibly a small lodging for travellers of Temple and Indoril?
[30, -28] Indoril comberry farm
[31, -28] Indoril corkbulb + ashyam farm
[31, -28] Indoril corkbulb farm
[30, -27] Indoril house
[30, -26] Cave
[31, -29] Grotto
[31, -27] Ancestral tomb
[32, -30] Ancestral tomb
[34, -31] BIG OM Ruin
[34, -30] OM Manor
[34, -30] OM Manor

Total: 17
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

Looking good. :]

The 30, -29 house over the dock I placed as a dockmaster's home. I figure that where the farms to the north are around here, it would just be quicker to take the produce straight to Almalexia by boat.

The grotto I placed in 31, -29 I placed as a blocked door. The idea of a random door in the wilderness that has been blocked with no explanation given whatsoever appealed to my sense of humour. I mean it can be a regular interior but I just went for something different.
<insert witty signature here. i might spend time trying to come up with something, but its not like anybody reads these anyway>
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

This claim is now open for the NPCing stage. There is some important information to disseminate before claiming though:

http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=22961
This is a link to the discussion thread for when this claim was detailing, in case anyone wants to check for information there.

Also, regarding the OM ruins in this claim (all of them): NO lich in any of them will be allowed. Just normal OM ruins with some bad guys of some race or another (NPC/creature).

Finally, here is a very, very old list for Bosmora that its creator made (almost a decade ago), detailing his intentions on what each interior be named/used as. Obviously the names might be crappy by today's standards, but please try to use the list where possible.
Attachments
Bosmora NPC ideas and notes.txt
(1.27 KiB) Downloaded 226 times

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

That attachment is a little hard to read with everything jumbled together into one paragraph. Here's a word document that's easier to read, if anyone's interested.
Attachments
Bosmora claim discriptions.doc
(27 KiB) Downloaded 257 times
-Head of NPCs: [url=http://www.shotn.com/forums/]Skyrim: Home of the Nords[/url]
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

It's not jumbled together if you open it in Notepad... it's a .txt file

Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

Haplo wrote:It's not jumbled together if you open it in Notepad... it's a .txt file
:oops:
-Head of NPCs: [url=http://www.shotn.com/forums/]Skyrim: Home of the Nords[/url]
blackbird
Reviewer

Post by blackbird »

Is anyone from the NPC and scripting member list allowed to claim this piece of Indoril land?
blackbird
Reviewer

Post by blackbird »

blackbird wrote:Is anyone from the NPC and scripting member list allowed to claim this piece of Indoril land?
I mean AI/Quest usergroup. BTW I couldn't edit.
Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

I recall there being talk of renaming Bosmora, so if it does get renamed, now'd be a good time.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Post by Bloodthirsty Crustacean »

Blackbird, I seem to remember you took the Tel Mothrivra claim in the last round of NPCing. However, that was one of those claims that, due to English not being your first language, required a great deal of fixing from me, and other questers. Seeing as dialogue is such an integral part of doing these claims, I don't think giving one to a non-English speaker is the most efficient way of making good progress here. Like I say, it took a lot of time to fix claims like the Tel Mothrivra one, and the job's probably still not fully complete yet.

That said, my time to spare on this project is reaching record lows, so if other core members have more confidence in you/are willing to clean up inconsistencies with 'off' dialogue, they can overrule me here.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals
a man melts the sand so he
can see the world outside

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
blackbird
Reviewer

Post by blackbird »

I think you have misunderstood me a bit.
I didn't mean that I wanted to claim this. I think it would be better if I won't claim another NPC claim.
I wondered if anyone who is promoted for AI/quests has the right to take this, and not just any TR modder. I recall a few people saying that some cities (I believe Necrom, since it's lore related) shouldn't be done from a noob.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Yes, anyone who is promoted for AI/Quests should be authorized to claim this claim.

Stryker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stryker »

I'd like to give this claim a shot.

Having finished work and not having school has given me many, many hours of free time. Soo... yeah.

[Insert witty request for claim]
Haū! Omochikaerī!

Interior Reviews: 168
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Welcome back, Stryker. Don't forget to download the latest TR_Data. (Granted)

Stryker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stryker »

So... being my dipshit self I lost my most recent file. This has managed to sap most of my motivation, so progress will more or less be halted. Couple this with moving-based preparation, it's not even worth keeping this claimed. Current file isn't even worth uploading, has so few lines of dialog it isn't even cool and it's entirely out of place. So yeah.

I'll try to pick it up again once I get back, if nobody has it by then, but until then: Please revoke.
Haū! Omochikaerī!

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Revoked per request.

Stryker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stryker »

Circumstances have changed, so I have an extra week to spend on... something. I'd like to claim this again. At the very least get a weeks worth of work done on it, if possible.
Haū! Omochikaerī!

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Granting. Don't be shy about posting a WIP file every now and then, to prevent lost work ;-)

Stryker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stryker »

In light of that suggestion, uploading a WIP since I'll be gone for a period of time.

Most of my time was spent reviewing the interiors, namely Bosmora, and fixing some obvious style mixing, etc. A lot, but not all, of the city interiors should be pathgridded and they shouldn't have any/many glaring errors.
This file has very little dialogue added, I just wanted to make sure I didn't lose the reviewing work.

It does have like... 2-3 incomplete NPCs added, should anyone desire a looksie. Possibly to make sure my dialogue work fits MW well enough.
Haū! Omochikaerī!

Stryker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stryker »

WIP time. Most of Bosmora is done, I think as I haven't done proper testing yet. I just need to polish the dialogue a bit more, probably delete and/or rewrite some of it and then possibly add more NPCs outside in Bosmora.

One thing, though. One question: What exactly is the situation with the councilor in Bosmora? What I could pick up from some threads was that Bosmora has no present councilor, they currently reside elsewhere. So I made a caretaker for the manor. Is this the correct thing to do?
Since the claim still has a lot to finish, I have plenty of time to fix this if this is old information or just plain inaccurate.
Attachments
TR_Map_3_Detailing_A8.rar
(1.97 MiB) Downloaded 242 times
Haū! Omochikaerī!

Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

I'd assume there is still a family in the manor, they are just not councillors. Not every manor needs to be a councillor's residence.
<insert witty signature here. i might spend time trying to come up with something, but its not like anybody reads these anyway>
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

I think you could make a couple of nobles for that manor. It's not big, so they'd be either the rulers of the place with little power in the grander Indoril politics, or simply a noble family aligned with the true ruler of the area who lives somewhere else, in Almalexia or one of the plantations up north.

I noticed (41, -29) was named Gorne but didn't actually have any interiors or buildings in it, think you should dename that cell.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Notes for Exteriors people: I notice Bosmora has a Temple in Indoril, rather than 'Temple' style - we changed that in Sailen and a couple other places - do we want to quickly redo it here, or just leave it as it is?

Notes for Skah:

Quite a lot of outlanders in town... the Market especially is rammed with them? No local stallholders? (Also in the Market, those two Altmer should wear different robes, and I don't think there should be two Fighters Guild reps in town - pick one of them to keep)

You also have quite a large number of guards, for a smallish town. More than one in most ints is extravagant.

Check Alarm values. All citizens should be 80-100.

Don't use 100 locks on just regular folks houses (e.g. Thalin Marendi). 30 is reasonable.

Don't use unique faces (e.g. the FG man outside has Darran Flavius' face)

Yes, please do put regular noble (but not council) families in the Bosmora manors. You can check my Meralag/Darnim claims for 'inspiration' if you want.

You overuse the word 'resides' in specific place. And I don't think a silt strider really 'resides' anywhere, anyway. :P

Capitalise race names. (e.g.: "Yes, outlander? What can this humble Dunmer do for you?") Don't capitalise trade names ("my mother was an alchemist").

All Orcs are gro-Surname for men and gra-Surname for women.

Use suitable Random filters for unique greetings. Don't give too much space to boring fillers like "Greetings. I hope Bosmora is treating you well." - better to let Beth provide some random chat from Greetings 9 than a line like that which due to generous filtering will get repeated too often.

Don't use "TR_extravagant_shirt_indoril", use number 2. The first one is outdated and ugly, and should just be replaced 1:1 with number 2 where you find it. But don't overuse it either, your caretaker guy isn't really rankworthy of it. (But if you replace him with an actual noble, then he might wear it) (and from nobles, nothing as melodramatic as all this, please: "I'm an Indoril Councilor. I plan to help House Indoril return to it's glory days, before the Imperial scum dragged us down. It may take a while, but I plan to set it all in motion. Just you wait.") Indoril of the Lan Orethan should be chilled and wealthy, not bitter schemers.

For your DIALOGUE BLOCKS, use the format "BEGIN TR MAP3 BOSMORA BLAH".

All your unique advices could do with a little bit of smoothing over. They're all a bit poorly phrased.

Otherwise looking pretty good. Make i3-666 the home of the final Lan Orethan Indoril Councilor. (In addition to Salume Nethril of Nethril Plantation A7 and Ienen Salvu of Salvu Manor A7)
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Andres Indoril
Senior Developer

Post by Andres Indoril »

I thought it was gro-fathersname and gra-fathersname?
[url=http://andresindoril.blogspot.com/][img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/Andres_Indoril/siggyleft.jpg[/img][/url][url=http://www.youtube.com/user/AndresIndoril][img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/Andres_Indoril/siggyright.jpg[/img][/url]
"You guys are no fun, I'll start my own TR with dead children and toy guars!" -Why
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Yes, but Skah's just opted for Grob Ugnum or whatever. The 'surname' needs its prefix, that's the important bit. I'm talking merely style, not lore justification.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Stryker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stryker »

Bah. >.< I'm not used to doing this yet. I'll fix up those errors later, sorry.

On another note, what regions do I rename the exterior cells too? Is [url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/g/maps/map_mw_full.jpg]this map[/url] still accurate? I mostly ask because I honestly cannot decipher the name of the island that Gorne is on. D:
Haū! Omochikaerī!

Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Don't worry, this is all small stuff, mostly procedural and stylistic rather than evidence of some crushing failure or misunderstand on your part. :)

Don't rename exterior cells: use the File - Export Data - Cell Exteriors - New Cell Exteriors function to get a .txt file, from which you remove all the non-map-marked cell names (leaving just "" instead of "PlaceholderCellName_01"), re-save and then Import.

Use Region Paint to colour in each cell the appropriate region. Most of this claim is Lan Orethan or Nedothril Coast (incl Gorne). Load up A7 alongside to see the borders at present along the north edge of your claim. There's a teensy bit of Alt Orethan in those un-wooded areas out west.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

I thought the region painting was always checked/done by Haplo when remerging anyway.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Personally I find it helpful to get a sense of the region map in my area when NPCing. (and on a procedural note it saves Haplo a lot of time if we do the name removal at least at this stage, so he doesn't have to delete the name of every cell in Map3!)
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Yes please do name removal and region painting if you can during NPC stages.

blackbird
Reviewer

Post by blackbird »

Would it be useful of region painting and adding signposts during the exterior detailing stage?

Does Stryker know which areas she has to paint? Does she have a region map?
Stryker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stryker »

Mostly for a backup, by no means error free yet. I tried my best to do the regions, but I'd appreciate it if someone could take a look at it to make sure they're correct. >.>

This file includes a small and hopefully finished quest (design courtesy of Andres) just talk to the Breton Fernard Mannick in Bosmora to start it... It's pretty straightforward after that. The part I'm most worried about is dialog, but we'll see how that turned out.

I had fixed most of BC's notes but I experienced a computer crash which caused my file to be corrupted. I may or may not have missed something on my second time through the file, so just point it out again if there's still a glaring flaw there.

Damn, I forgot to archive the file.
Haū! Omochikaerī!

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Stryker wrote:Damn, I forgot to archive the file.
Thank you for not archiving it. That's really kind of annoying.

immortal_pigs
Developer

Post by immortal_pigs »

Just a quick note;

You seem to have placed some of your greetings in Greetings 1.
I think Greetings 1 is for only the Bloodmoon related quests.
Stryker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stryker »

immortal_pigs wrote:You seem to have placed some of your greetings in Greetings 1.
I think Greetings 1 is for only the Bloodmoon related quests.
Well... for the quest claim I did, I put all the quest greetings into Greetings 1... So I think it's the correct location for them.

On another note, progress has been going well. I've basically finished Enamor Dayn along with Bosmora. Going to do some wilderness populating so I can get away from dialog writing a for bit, before I head off to do Gorne.

The biggest problem than I can see will be quest designs. I've never been that great at designing quests, so that stage may take a while.

Should have a WIP up soon, regardless.
Haū! Omochikaerī!

Yeti
Lead Developer

Post by Yeti »

Stryker wrote: The biggest problem than I can see will be quest designs. I've never been that great at designing quests, so that stage may take a while.
I can come up with some misc-quest plans if you'd like. I've made a few before for some of BC's NPC claims.
Stryker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stryker »

I'd say 1-2 more quests for Bosmora... Not entirely sure about Gorne, maybe two small quests or one slightly more extensive quest? And I'm thinking Enamor Dayn doesn't need any quests since it's so small.

Bosmora quests would be more helpful, as that town is basically complete by now. So, go for it.
Haū! Omochikaerī!

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

1 modestly extensive quest for Gorne sounds perfect.

Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Post a WIP if you can Skah.

Quest greetings go in Greetings 5. Greetings 1 should be used only for ForceGreetings, or others which need to bypass the player being a vampire etc.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals