5-28-Red

After an exterior claim has been cleared by a review, the thread will be moved here. Discussion is still allowed.

Moderator: Lead Developers

Haplo
Lead Developer

5-28-Red

Post by Haplo »

Claim type: Exterior
Claim ID: TR_5-28-Red (#2447)
Faction: Redoran
Claimed by: Katze
Files: TR_5-28-Red_Haplo_1.esp

---

Velothi mountains, although definitely not as mountainous as most of the VM region. The height map file below includes a BM pine tree forest in this claim that will continue into 5-1. Note that this forest is just a test of the pine tree forest concept and thus requires a ton of detailing.

Please download map 5 height map here and work from that:

http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=19347
Note that cleaning irrelevant cells may create land tears, so backup your work regularly and often.

This part of the VM region uses BM statics.
-23 14, Nordic settlement (8-9 interiors) of Greenhold (temporary, to be decided). This settlement has a lumber mill and its inhabitants chops down forest for wood.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

See this picture for regional borders, roads and rivers.

[url=http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/2835/mwmap5.jpg][img]http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/2835/mwmap5.th.jpg[/img][/url]
SIGILLVM COMMVNITATIS DE CIVITATE BERGENSI
Katze
Developer Emeritus

Post by Katze »

I feel like claiming this. All nice and foresty.

What path texture is used for this region? I don't recall BM having one, although I may be wrong. Also, would the bridge across the river leading north from Cormaris be in this claim, or further west in 5-17 (lots of questions, I know :P )
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

We haven't currently decided on the main or side road textures, but I will get back to you this evening with some opinions. Feel free to experiment with different stuff, as long as we settle on a standard for (at least) this peninsula.

Regarding the bridge, I don't know exactly, have you checked the height map?

Also, granted, since these questions can be answered while working on other things.
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Nordic settlement of Greenhold at -23,14. 8-9 ints including a lumber mill.
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Post by Thrignar Fraxix »

seems like we should have the skyrim assets we were going to get before we make anything with a nordic settlement
Reviewing Administrator
Morrowind Reviews: 1640
Completed MW Interiors: 29

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Yes. But we don't have the stuff that has only ever been vaguely hinted at, and it's time to work. So looks like we'll do without.

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

I believe that can wait until we start with actual Uld Vraech claims, since this is VM. I'm following this one closely of course, and Cats experimenting with different setups to see how stuff works. 90 % of the work in this claim has the needed stuff anyway.
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Haplo wrote:Yes. But we don't have the stuff that has only ever been vaguely hinted at, and it's time to work. So looks like we'll do without.
I've sent the PM off to get the statics, all I needed to know was that we wanted them. Whether we use them here or not, we will have them now.
Reviewing Administrator

The just man frowns, but never sneers. We can understand anger, but not malevolence - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power - Brutus, Julius Caesar

Fun is bad - Haplo
Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

These are the Skyrim project assets that are part of our asset deal?
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

Um yes, I thought it was common knowledge that lestat and I agreed to swap as many relevant models as possible for the border region. (which currently looks to be an architectureal set from them and the dunmereth pass meshes from us)
Reviewing Administrator

Fun is bad - Haplo
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

It's not well-known at all, I don't think.

Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Hey, any updates on this claim? You're approximately within a week of the date :) .
Katze
Developer Emeritus

Post by Katze »

Uploaded a WIP. Not worked on this much recently, but at least now there's a file to look at.
"If a hermaphroditic, bug-armored, bipolar god-king existing in multiple universes who has his very own bible with *actual* magic strewn throughout it is your idea of a cliche, then I really would like to live in your world." -MK

"You say a lot of things. And how does that work? You're a bicycle"

Tea is important.
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Another month has passed, please update status.
Katze
Developer Emeritus

Post by Katze »

Updated.
"If a hermaphroditic, bug-armored, bipolar god-king existing in multiple universes who has his very own bible with *actual* magic strewn throughout it is your idea of a cliche, then I really would like to live in your world." -MK

Tea is important.
Katze
Developer Emeritus

Post by Katze »

Time for another update. This claim has taken way too long. I hope to have it finished this weekend.

Tea is important.
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Looking good so far...
I just had a look at your roads, and you need to do some adjustments to them. As of now they mostly look like they are hardly trodden at all. This guide (which is our very own);

http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/?p=modding_data/tutorials&section=251365

...explains perfectly.

A well-made road/path consists of a few important things:
1. A reason to exist! And a logical route through the cell(s). (Is it logical that someone made a road here, or would it have made more sense to go the other way, for example.)
2. Using correct textures! You don't want to use a wasteland road texture in the middle of a forest.
3. The road needs to be lower than its immediate surroundings (as if worn down by constant wear and use).
4. A vertex-shaded "outline".
5. Detail (and optionally, some points of interest) along the way.

Escpecially along sloped areas a road not having a flatness of itself will just look weird and poorly executed. Our roads need to be of the highest quality. That means lots of details, properly sunk relative to the non-roady areas and points of interest nearby.

Another thing, the forest needs more grass statics, random flora, misc stones and stuff lying about.
Katze
Developer Emeritus

Post by Katze »

Updated again. Added lots of plants and such along the road.

Tea is important.
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

So I guess an update is coming now shortly? :)
Katze
Developer Emeritus

Post by Katze »

Gimme time to get back to my own computer (should be on Saturday) and I'll get an update up.

Tea is important.
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

which saturday? Seriously though, got an update?
Reviewing Administrator

Fun is bad - Haplo
Katze
Developer Emeritus

Post by Katze »

Computer asploded, remember? My latest file is on there. If I go past the deadline without posting a new file, feel free to revoke, but hopefully I can get my new PSU by then.

Tea is important.
Thrignar Fraxix
Developer Emeritus

oh right, I forgot. Its all good, I just wanted a post. (Though nemon might not be so forgiving)
Reviewing Administrator

Fun is bad - Haplo
Katze
Developer Emeritus

Post by Katze »

I just uploaded a new WIP so I don't get in trouble. Hopefully I'll have the claim finished soonish :P

Tea is important.
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Herp a derp?
Katze
Developer Emeritus

Post by Katze »

Ever so sorry, I don't think I'll ever get the inspiration to finish this claim, so revoking once I've put up a file :/

Tea is important.
Katze
Developer Emeritus

Post by Katze »

Revoked.
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

This claim was almost ready for submission, Cathartis :) . I'll finish it with the last little detailing that's necessary.
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Done. Tons of statics added, mostly smaller rock clusters, grass, shrubs and other flora.

Interiors:

Greenhold (are we keeping that name?) -23 14

Ex_S_Longhouse_brown (NWern building) - The main hall, the lumberjacks gather here for food and good drink.

Ex_S_Longhouse_red (south of the main hall) - Town chief or whatever we call him.

Ex_S_Longhouse_green (south of chief house) - House
Ex_S_Longhouse_green (north of center firepit) - House
Ex_S_Longhouse_green (NE of center firepit) - House
Ex_S_Longhouse_green (N of small firepit) - House
Ex_S_Longhouse_red02 (SE of center firepit) - Trader and lumber storage
Ex_S_Longhouse_green (SE of small firepit) - House

By "house" I mean just ordinary common people, nothing special. Cat might have a few ideas? Also, chimney can be moved if interior makers wants to.

-22 13 : Velothi dungeon (Cat, what did you have in mind here?)

-23 12; Shack, home of an old scout or something

-24 13: Cave, monster cave

-23 13: Old nordic tomb, pillaged

-25 14: Shack, home of a common man, with ties to the House Redoran. The chief of Greenhold is suspicious about this fellow.
Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

This is pretty neat! :D
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Not an official review!

Part 1.

8/3/2011 (13:26) TR_5-28-Red_Cathartis_7.esp 8/3/2011 (13:11) skraeling Flora_tree_BM_03 TR_5-28_Red (-24,13) -195377 110109 381 "floater"
8/3/2011 (13:26) TR_5-28-Red_Cathartis_7.esp 8/3/2011 (13:11) skraeling Flora_tree_BM_02 TR_5-28_Red (-24,13) -195009 110382 387 "floater"
8/3/2011 (13:26) TR_5-28-Red_Cathartis_7.esp 8/3/2011 (13:11) skraeling Flora_tree_BM_03 TR_5-28_Red (-24,13) -194700 110246 419 "floater"
8/3/2011 (13:26) TR_5-28-Red_Cathartis_7.esp 8/3/2011 (13:11) skraeling Flora_tree_BM_05 TR_5-28_Red (-24,13) -194475 109523 499 "floater (very slightly)"
These four floaters go together because I believe it's not the trees that are floating, but rather the ground that has been accidentally lowered.

This is another story:
8/3/2011 (13:27) TR_5-28-Red_Cathartis_7.esp 8/3/2011 (13:11) skraeling TR_terrain_BM_rocks_01 TR_5-28_Red (-25,13) -200673 111172 653 "floater"

EDIT: Disregard the fact that I was playtesting with an old file. These bugs are still there in the new one by Nemon.
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Part 2.

8/3/2011 (16:43) TR_5-28-Red_Nemon_2.esp 8/3/2011 (13:35) skraeling Flora_tree_BM_03 TR_5-28_Red (-23,12) -183376 104607 1370 "floater"

Yes, that's all.

Oh, and this claim conflicts with [url=http://detritus.silgrad.com/]Sea of Solstheim[/url], which is (imho) one of the better mods for Morrowind currently around. Fortunately, this is mostly a problem for Sea of Solstheim, not one for TR, as the landscape of Sea of Solstheim is usually below that of TR. Sometimes it is even kind of fun:
Attachments
MGE Screenshot 1.jpg
Nessie arises!
(316.78 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

Lol, that looks cool enough for us to keep.
Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

Sorry I'm taking so long to get to these. Work has been very hectic the past couple of weeks, our lab is rushing to finish a lot of studies for publication so there has been a lot going on. I haven't had the time to sit down and go over these properly yet. Depending on my schedule I may get some time this weekend, if not, definitely by midway next week things should get back to normal.
"Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse considerations have diverse names."

"How dare you question the colonnade!" - one of the Glorious Leaders

"Nemon + IKEA = creationism" - some guy

"The layout is awesome, the scale is awesome, the whole city is just awesome!" - Tyrion on Blacklight, circa 2007
Tyrion
Reviewer

Post by Tyrion »

TESAME: Clean

Fits exterior: Yes

Northmarker set: Yes
Loading errors: No

Review: Some jagged terrain here and there. It looks like a lot of the trees had been f'd to the ground and left there. Just remember to sink them ever so slightly into the ground. No big problems otherwise.

Comments More nice map 5 territory! Everything's been made with a good eye and to a quality level. More good work which I've come to expect from our exterior modders.

Rating 9/10
Attachments
TR_5-28-Red_Nemon_2r.esp
(641.46 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
"Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse considerations have diverse names."

"How dare you question the colonnade!" - one of the Glorious Leaders

"Nemon + IKEA = creationism" - some guy

"The layout is awesome, the scale is awesome, the whole city is just awesome!" - Tyrion on Blacklight, circa 2007
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Woop woop. Approved!

Nice work! I did find more of those tree issues, otherwise a pretty solid claim. Well done Cathartis and Nemon.