Leon's Music

Place where the game's audio assets are produced.

Moderators: Gesshoku, Lead Developers

theviking
Developer Emeritus

Post by theviking »

Hi Leon, nice pieces. They really sound like the original music in the game. I thought explore1 was a bit too chaotic, it might sound better if you work to a climax and then let it relax again. Explore 2 is pretty good, but i think the harp sounds can be used in a bigger part of the song to increase the consistency.
Interiors: 25
Reviews: more then 250!
Quest Reviews: 3
NPC claims: 2

Currently looking for quest designers.
theviking
Developer Emeritus

Post by theviking »

I think the harp section in the background of explore2 is beautiful. Adding it to a larger part of the song will make the music piece sound more consistent. Explore 3 sounds great.

theviking
Developer Emeritus

Post by theviking »

Leon, explore1 is spot on! Well done.

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

I'm listening to Track 4 now. Unfortunately music can't be scripted effectively in Morrowind so we can't control where it will appear.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Nerano
Developer

Post by Nerano »

I've heard your music (at last) and I'm delighted with your work. Your compositions have qualities similar to Soule's original soundtrack.
...However ( :D ) there is something that I don't like. I must honestly say, I think you are "wasting" your talent, because of the poor (comparing to the composition from a theoretical musical point of view) technical refinement of your music. While the samples sound acceptable, there are to less effects (like echo, chorus etc...). I know that such effects might be called "cheap", but all professionals use them, so don't hesitate to spice up your music too :wink:
Also try to avoid pauses... (Or use effects to mask them).

One last thing. Do not give up. You are very, very close. Remember, if your music gets released together with a new version of TR, thousands of people will listen to each of your composition tens or even hundreds of times. Your work is a great responsibility, but good music will undoubtedly have a significant, positive impact on the mod's general reception.
Tahreasa

Post by Tahreasa »

Leon van der Stadt! Enchanted to "meet" you! I love your name... anyway, your music is amazing, I like the way you embrace the deeper darker instruments and bring them out, alot like some of Soules tracks. Simply amazing.
Worsas
Developer

Post by Worsas »

I'm liking your fourth piece, feels very tamrielic to me and lines up with a couple of jeremy soules pieces.

The first three have a good quality but they stand apart a fair bit, in my opinion. I can't really imagine playing them myself in the game, although I believe they would be cool in many other fantasy games.

If you are interested in tweaking your pieces further or writing other pieces, I will recommend you getting yourself and your pieces more into a ashy, morrowindy feeling. Read through the 30 sermons of Vivec(no joke), take orientation on those things in Morrowind you will not see in other fantasy games such as insectoid fauna, dunmeri culture, ashlands, things that are disharmonic in Morrowind (Dwemer Ruins eg.). Try to describe the feeling behind those things with your music.

In this connection I will admit that I have yet to see a modder-made soundtrack that really matches Morrowinds original atmosphere. If you feel able to tackle that, you might be one of few.

I hope, I don't scare you off with this, though. I know myself how it is when people do not receive things as I would like to.

And ultimately its great thing from you to take your time to create something for this mod and I hope this will get honored as it deserves. :)

Edit: I feel very uncomfortable about my post.
Worsas
Developer

Post by Worsas »

Hi Leon,

that is definetively good stuff. I'm currently not able to really give a proper feedback. I hope others will listen to the changed pieces and say what they think.

I'm going to say that those pieces are wonderfully elderscrollish, I'm just not sure, if they exactly fit into Morrowind or not rather Cyrodiil or Skyrim. The longer I listen to those pieces the more I actually want to add them to my Skyrim-playlist. I doubt this is what you want to hear though.

Edit:
mx_explore_4.mp3 from the original mw-playlist is probably a good reference if you want to know what I refer to with disharmonic, a bit less hopeful, alien. I'm not good in describing, what I mean.

Edit: your piece 3 is brilliant, btw.
Worsas
Developer

Post by Worsas »

I feel uncomfortable for being in the position of having to say inhowfar they don't blend in with the original-works of Bethesda, which ultimately is the requirement with everything here at TR.

And me saying that they are elderscrollish is not something happening to put my feedback into soft sweet cream. It is meant honestly and it is true.
Nerano
Developer

Post by Nerano »

The progress you have made is amazing! You have succefully fixed all the major issues:
- bad instrument quality: now the instruments sound right
- moments of silence in the midst of some pieces: corrected
- some parts of your work didn't fit that well into the atmosphere of Morrowind: now everything does! The files 2-3 are masterpieces in this regard, and have now a place in my personal Morrowind Music folder :) .

Criticism: :D
1. TR_explore_1 needs even more smoothness and "blur". Especially the beginning sounds too sharp.
2. TR_explore_2 is great.
3. TR_explore_3 is very good; short, but quality is more important than length.
4. TR_explore_4... this is complicated :)
0:00 - 1:13 good
1:14 - 1:49 needs more work; sounds "chaotic"
1:50 - 2:16 good
2:17 - 2:49 needs more work; remember - the right atmosphere is very important
2:50 - 3:30 good
Worsas
Developer

Post by Worsas »

Cool...