q2-32-Imp

After a quest claim has been cleared by a review, the thread will be moved here. Discussion is still allowed.

Moderator: Lead Developers

Why
Lead Developer

q2-32-Imp

Post by Why »

Claim type: Quest
Claim ID: TR_q2-32-Imp (#2520)
Faction: Imperial
Parent claim: TR_2-37-Ind (#100)
Claimed by: Zobator
Files: TR_q2-32-Imp_Zobator_1.esp; TR_q2-32-Imp_Zobator_10.esp; TR_q2-32-Imp_Zobator_2.esp; TR_q2-32-Imp_Zobator_3.esp; TR_q2-32-Imp_Zobator_4.esp; TR_q2-32-Imp_Zobator_5.esp; TR_q2-32-Imp_Zobator_6.esp; TR_q2-32-Imp_Zobator_7.esp; TR_q2-32-Imp_Zobator_8.esp; TR_q2-32-Imp_Zobator_9.esp

---

East Empire Company, Helnim, quests for Culenne and Zaren Hammebenat (Cule1, Cule2, Zare1)

These could be regarded as sidequests, they can be worked on independently from the main Lorus line. If the faction isn't joinable yet, just make the initial quest available to everyone, we'll add conditions to the dialog entry that starts it later.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/14_Q ... y=CJHct5cI
Zobator
Developer

Post by Zobator »

I'd prefer to do sidequests for the moment since med school is pretty demanding and by doing these quests I won't be holding up others while I can work whenever I have some time to spare.
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Have fun!
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Can we please first discuss what we are going to do with the IAS? My impression of the existing state was that it's going to be one of the first things to be axed, and I'm not very comfortable with quests involving it. It seems that we still don't know what the heck the IAS is supposed to be doing.

@Zobator: please take into account that Sandol can be dead by the time the player gets this quest.
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

We discussed this on IRC real quick. The fate of the IAS in Helnim is uncertain, but we'd still like to proceed here - should the IAS be moved elsewhere, the contact can be moved to the IAS expedition in Kemel-Ze or Amthuandz. This part of the quest will likely be completely dialog based so an alteration like that should be easy.
Zobator
Developer

Post by Zobator »

A question: Since I have to add some items to the containers at Vodunius Harmevus' house I'm wondering if I'm allowed to replace one of the generic containers with a unique container? [I don't know of a way to specify one particular version of a generic item in the game world]

Just checking if I'm allowed to do so ;)
Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus.

[url=http://www.freegamesviking.com/]Getting bored?[/url]
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Replacing it will probably cause duplication errors after merging. Better make your unique container but not place it, or place it for testing purposes but clean the cell and tell the merger to replace it once you're finished.
Zobator
Developer

Post by Zobator »

Yeah, I'll do that, place it ingame, and afterwards clean the cell :)

Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Hi hi, how's it going? Med school still cool?
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Please update before the end of the month ^^
Zobator
Developer

Post by Zobator »

Sorry to update so sporadically! I'm still working on it, but I've got very few time to work on it :(

But I was wondering: should Vodunius be incarcerated or something for the fake artifacts or just be fined? Selling them without permission would just get him fined, but selling fakes? I'm not sure?

What are the thoughts on this?

Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Giving him a fine is probably the best option, yes.
Zobator
Developer

Post by Zobator »

I've completed the first quest. Haven't had time to actually test it yet.

EDIT: Just as I posted I realised I didn't include dialogue in case you stole the artifact from Vodunius. Now he'll always say you've bought it from him.

I'll add those dialogues next time...

arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Hi Zobator, how is it going? No hurry to get this finished, but a status report would be great.
Zobator
Developer

Post by Zobator »

Hey guys!

I finally have a break from college. Times have been very stressfull and studies have been very time-consuming (yesterday was the first time in about a month I've been able to game for a couple of hours)

I've got a week of vacation so expect a big update within a day or 2.

arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Yay!!

Don't hurry -- I'm *cough* a bit behind schedule myself so I won't get to reviewing EEC very *cough* soon...
Zobator
Developer

Post by Zobator »

Ok

Now I finally had enough time to truly test the first quest I encountered a problem with the global PCGold. It appears as if the engine handles it as if it's always 0 (not taking notice of the amount of gold I have whatsoever). This might be a problem since I'll need this to check if you have enough money for the artifact you buy from vodunius.

Any idea what's causing it?

P.S. PCGold doesn't show up in console with Showvars, even with a new game. Is it supposed to be that way?

rot
Lead Developer

Post by rot »

PCGold? Never heard, maybe you're looking for
player->GetItemCount, "gold_001"
Zobator
Developer

Post by Zobator »

Jesus Christ! Must have been editing that part very early in the morning or something -_- It clearly has been too long since I've properly used the CS :P

Thanks anyway, as soon as I read your comment I realised what a stupid mistake I was making :P

EDIT:
I completely checked the first quest. I don't think there are any bugs left? Did a quick typo check. I guess that's all for now. Lets have a look at the second quest then...

Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Hey Zobator, I see you uploaded a file two days after your last post, over a month ago. What's the latest word with this claim?
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Zobator
Developer

Post by Zobator »

Haven't been very productive on the TR side. Lost quite some data when my computer failed and didn't get around to take the time on TR-modding. Expect this completed somewhere around the 10th of July. I'm currently still studying for my finals and when they're done I can get back on the job. Sorry for not showing up for some time though!

Zobator
Developer

Post by Zobator »

After waaaay too long I've finally worked on TR again. :D The second quest is completed. Haven't had time to test it but I'll do it later today or tomorrow.

EDIT: I've run into a bit of a problem while testing: the door to the packing room in the Helnim diamond mine is locked at level 100 and there's no key for it. Can I just use the unlock command when in the same cell without unlocking every single door with the same ID in the world?

Zobator
Developer

Post by Zobator »

Cule2 is completely tested and fixed!

Apart from the fact that I don't know how to handle the locked door (help please :) ) That quest is completely done I guess.

Of to the last quest of this claim!

arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Great news!
Zobator wrote:EDIT: I've run into a bit of a problem while testing: the door to the packing room in the Helnim diamond mine is locked at level 100 and there's no key for it. Can I just use the unlock command when in the same cell without unlocking every single door with the same ID in the world?
Do you want to script the door to become unlocked at a certain point in the quest? Or do you want it to get a key assigned that some NPC will give the player in the quest? Either way I can quickly do the necessary changes in the Mainland, but I need to know what option you want.

Please make sure to test TR_m2_q_32_crate well; Morrowind's scripting engine has some known issues with adding items to empty containers.
Zobator
Developer

Post by Zobator »

Probably just open it with a key that Culenne gives to you (and asks back at the end of the quest).

I've never encountered a problem with the crate and I've tested that one in more sequences of action than I can remember and never had a problem so I guess it won't cause any problems in the future.

arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Fine -- download the newest version of the Mainland (see http://www.tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=23677&start=80 for the link) and rebase your ESP on that one. The key you're looking for is "TR_m2_key_HelnimDM".
Zobator
Developer

Post by Zobator »

I was just brainstorming on some parts of the last quest and I'm not sure how to do the part where you lie to Seris Athyon. The next time you talk to her you'll get a disposition drop, but the problem is, you can't pedict when that'll be so a journal update to ensure this happens only once is not an option IMO.

Any obvious dialogue function I'm forgetting about to only let her say the particular dialogue only once? (It has been a while since I modded so my memory is a bit rusty)

arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

You can always give her a modified script with a local variable, or even add a global variable (the latter option is preferred if you want the variable to be used by other things than just her dialogue).
rot
Lead Developer

Post by rot »

The base script all TR NPCs have also has the ControlQ variable already declared, if you haven't used it for something else yet.
Zobator
Developer

Post by Zobator »

arvisrend wrote:You can always give her a modified script with a local variable, or even add a global variable (the latter option is preferred if you want the variable to be used by other things than just her dialogue).
rot wrote:The base script all TR NPCs have also has the ControlQ variable already declared, if you haven't used it for something else yet.
DAFU**?? Never noticed those base-scripts... :P That'll do just fine :D

Zobator
Developer

Post by Zobator »

UPDATE!

3rd Quest is functional. Tested and didn't encounter any bugs.

TO DO:
-Spellchecking
-Bugtest and review by a reviewer
-Spicing up the dialogue and following advice from the reviewer
-Cleaning it up (like the crate at Vodunius Harmevus' house and the unique guar outside The Glass Goblet [both need to be added when merged in the masterfile])

NOTE: Tomorrow is the last day I'll be able to work on TR until the beginning of August since I won't be within a radius of 20 miles near a computer for the next 2 weeks.

arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Great!!

Zare1:

- "possesion" should be spelt "possession".

- The greeting "Greetings, %PCCLASS. Could I persuade you to do some business with me?" shouldn't be repeated once the quest has been taken.

- Culenne has a way-too-similar greeting "Hello again, %PCNAME! Could I persuade you to do another favor for the East Empire Company?". I don't like that artificial use of "persuade" very much; try something different.

- Is "mister" a word in Dunmeri? I thought they had "sera".

- "but that wench of a Seris Athyon, won't sell me any of her potions" the comma here is wrong.

- I can get that package over and over again.

- Have you changed anything in cell "Helnim, Vodunius Harmevus' House" or why is it marked changed?

I'll come to the other quests shortly, but I'm posting this already since it seems to be a hurry.
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Cule1:

- Get rid of the word "adventurer" in the file. "drunk adventurer" could just become "drunkard". Normally, adventurers get their artefacts on their own rather than buying them from merchants, so this word is doubly inappropriate in this context.

- We use American English (at least when we remember to). "rumours" should be "rumors".

- It would be good to give the player directions to Vodunius Harmevus, e. g., in the eponymous topic. I had to look that one up in the CS.

- "illegaly" is really "illegally".

- The weight of the fake Dwemer coherer should be about 25, not 35, to really weigh "much less" than 40.

- Again, give some directions to the IAS in Helnim; an inexperienced player might start looking at Kemel-Ze...

- "sceme", "promissed".

- Culenne's dialogue finishing quest 1 should have a pointer to quest 2.

Cule2:

- "I quite bussy" -> "I'm quite busy"?

- "to weak to work" -> "too weak to work".

- "as soon possible" -> "as soon as possible".

- "definately" should be "definitely".

- "gratutitude" should be "gratitude" unless intentionally misspelt.

- Sandol might be dead if the player mucked up a Fighters Guild quest. In that case, it might be best if that quest doesn't even start?

- I assume Marvus' dialogue is intentionally clumsy; some of it might be too clumsy, though ("What is it that pierces through the dark veil of death? A shiney potion of cure poison! Let me just cure my illness first and then we'll continue our conversation.", "I fear my last breath has neared closer on me than sooner than Lord Akatosh had planned for me").

Looking forward to your edits; otherwise I can also do them myself.

MERGE INSTRUCTIONS / NOTES TO SELF:

- Review what remains to be reviewed.

- Walk over the dialogue.

- Once Cule2 has been solved in Sandol's favor, Sandol should not need any persuasion in the FG quest.
Zobator
Developer

Post by Zobator »

I'm not going to be able to finish this one up before I leave tomorrow morning :( I'll get it all done once I get back but I've run out of time today and can't pull an all-nighter today, I'm afraid :P

Zobator
Developer

Post by Zobator »

After a long and well deserved (and well needed) shower, I'm back!

Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Welcome back!
Zobator
Developer

Post by Zobator »

I hope I did everything that needed to be edited.

I'm not sure what FG quest might kill Sandol? maybe just check if Sandol is dead or not instead of blocking this quest entirely when you've done the FG quest?

And about Marvus' dialogue, I intended to make him some sort of melodramatic and rhetorical to emphasize his constant need for attention. The parts you quoted are the parts I liked most LOL.

Let the discussion start! :D

rot
Lead Developer

Post by rot »

wb! quick playtest:

Zaren:

TR_m2_Zaren Hammebenat - walks against walls, should remove his wanderai.

TR_m2_Zaren Hammebenat - greeting: "Greetings, %PCClass. Could I interest you in doing some business with me?"
this doesn't link to or give the topic "business" because it's looking for the topic "doing some business" instead, will need to slightly rephrase or use the topic "doing some business" itself

TR_m3_TM_HlavesaDoor - edit: nevermind

TR_m2_Seris Athyon - if you don't lie to her she says 'now can I help you with something, a potion of cure common disease perhaps' - but she doesn't sell those. Having her sell 1-2 restocking potions could be enough? Otherwise you could just AddItem one potion on her from that entry if she doesn't have one

Cule:

TR_m2_q_32_vodunius Helnim, Vodunius Harmevus' House 3958 4220 16352 "when taking the coherer from this container, journal entry says 'I've found the dwemer artifact that Vodunius wanted to sell me.' - I haven't even talked to Vodunius though"

TR_m2_Vodunius Harmevus, on topic "Dwemer artifacts" : "I doubt I'll find another buyer anytime soon" = that's typically not the sort of thing people trying to sell you something would say :p

TR_m2_Jociel Marinard - he says he "can't" give me the samples yet without doing all the stuff with the miners. Are those two things really supposed to be related or is it just intentional lampooning of administrative speak?
Also I don't think he explicitly states that TR_m2_Marvus Termian is in the mine itself - can make him hard to find, but not necessarily a problem

TR_m2_Marvus Termian - when you give him the potion he says he'll talk to you after curing himself then has a spellcast animation. Why would he need the potion if he can cast restore disease?

TR_m2_Marvus Termian - shouldn't the PC casting "Cure Poison" directly on him work as an alternative to giving him a potion?

TR_m2_Marvus Termian - has the default entry on topic Sandol if he's dead ('What kind of crazy vigilante... Outrageous!'), might want to give him a custom one or exclude him from it

TR_m2_Sandol can die during a Helnim FG mission where you're supposed to bully him I think? If he dies, it breaks the quest - TR_m2_Jociel Marinard doesn't have anything to say while you do the back-and-forth dialogue with the miners.
-> You could check for his death on Marvus' forcegreet when he gets cured ("That feels much better! Thank you %PCName. I'm in your debt for this! Sandol will pay for this!"...) and shortcut that part of the quest in that case?
... but that's not the only thing that needs to be done, because it's technically possible to be on both quests at the same time (yours, and the FG one that can get him killed) and it'd also break. Probably need to edit his script so the consequences of his death include an update to this quest if you're on it?

If the only condition to obtain the quests is membership to the EEC, it can be added now (TR_EEC is joinable in current _Mainland)

I assume the other pack guar in front of the glass goblet will be removed on merge?

also not related to the quest but:

tr_furn_com_rug_ay05 Helnim, Helnim Hall: East Empire Company Headquarters 11459 3782 12672 "flickering with floor when viewed from top of stairs"
in_cavern_beam00 Helnim, Diamond Mine 4168 3256 14888 "quite hard to pass here"
both fixed in mainland -- arvisrend
Zobator
Developer

Post by Zobator »

rot wrote: TR_m2_Marvus Termian - when you give him the potion he says he'll talk to you after curing himself then has a spellcast animation. Why would he need the potion if he can cast restore disease?
What method could I use then to make a Cure Poison effect to start? afaik it isn't possible to force him to actually use a potion?

rot
Lead Developer

Post by rot »

You could manually remove the poison effect (RemoveSpell if it's a curse, or RemoveSpellEffects, or RemoveEffects 27) and use the drinking sound (PlaySound, "Drink").

Alternatively you could have a nearby object casting the spell on him, if you want the effect to appear without him having the casting animation (the casting object can be almost anything but needs collision)