q2-35-Imp

After a quest claim has been cleared by a review, the thread will be moved here. Discussion is still allowed.

Moderator: Lead Developers

Why
Lead Developer

q2-35-Imp

Post by Why »

Claim type: Quest
Claim ID: TR_q2-35-Imp (#2580)
Faction: Imperial
Parent claim: TR_2-23-Ind (#86)
Claimed by: rot
Files: TR_q2-35-Imp_rot_1.esp; TR_q2-35-Imp_rot_2.esp; TR_q2-35-Imp_rot_3.esp; TR_q2-35-Imp_rot_4.esp; TR_q2-35-Imp_rot_5.esp; TR_q2-35-Imp_rot_6.esp; TR_q2-35-Imp_rot_7.esp; TR_q2-35-Imp_rot_8.esp

---

Second claim for the Akamora Guild of Mages.

Guild NPCs:
Ranosa Orrels, Dunmer, Wizard, Enchanter service and Guild Steward.
Francine Aldard, Breton, Journeyman. Talented Mage yet slightly unaccustomed to Morrowind. Left the service of Rilmas Athyrion in Marog after a very short apprenticeship.
Polodie Floine, Breton, Apprentice. Alchemist, sells potions.
Mjara, Khajiit, Apprentice. Guild Guide. Escaped slave, used to be the property of Rilmas Athyrion.
Varona Andarys, Dunmer, Associate. Alchemist, offers training.
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

[url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=23820]For the sake of completeness, the discussion that led to these designs. Feel free not to read it, I'm just linking it so it doesn't get lost in case we do want to refer back to it.[/url]

Claim two, TR_m2_Ranosa_Orrels, the guild steward, quests:

TR_m2_MG_Ranosa1
Ilmeni Bendalos (TR_m2_Ilmeni Benamamat), a priest at the Akamora Temple, has obtained some untypical enchanted item (an amulet of resist normal weapons, 10-20% or something). You are to buy it from her and to bring it to the MG for analysis. Ranosa is an enchanter and currently studying ways of better applying this effect.

Once you get this quest, this enchanted item is added to the inventory of that priest by script. There is also a dialogue topic about this item which the priest knows. So this is mostly a haggling quest, but with a MINOR twist: If you talk to the priest about the item, she realizes the Guild is after it and raises the price by a factor of two. (Technically: the dialogue result checks whether the merchant still has the item, and if so, replaces it by an item of the same characteristics but with twice the value.)

Note: TR_m2_Ilmeni Benamamat is currently not set to sell clothing. This will be changed in TR_Mainland. edit: Mainland has been edited! Get the new version from [url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=23677]this thread![/url]

TR_m2_MG_Ranosa2 - Interview with a Vampire
This quest will become available after TR_m2_MG_Francine1 (see next claim). While making it, proceed as though it's available from the start, we'll place the proper conditions after merging.

Ranosa has learned that vampires (3 or so, not a full clan) have recently settled in Mugan Crypt. You are not to kill the vampires, but to calm-humanoid their leader and interview them about the nature of their condition - the resistance to regular weapons, the aversion to sunlight and the bloodlust (remember, Morrowind vampires are not about subtlety and blending in with normal society at all, and more into eating people rather than biting necks) and the cause of all this. Once you've talked to the vampire leader, all vampires in Mugan Crypt become friendly to you, although the answers are not very helpful as they themselves don't know everything about their condition.

[Idea to toy around with: The vampires are clanless. They are unhappy with their disease, don't have much use for their awesome powers, and don't see vampirism as something to strive for.]

Before you embark on the quest, Ranosa directs you to Francine Aldard (TR_m2_Francine_Kington) who gives you a couple of useful scrolls (one scroll resist magicka 50% for 30 sec, another scroll calm humanoid 10 levels for 15 sec in radius 20, which should be enough for the lesser vampires but not for the leader).

Nice reward, some faction reputation, not too much. The current occupants of the cave will be removed from TR_Mainland. Remember to add a few cattle, too. Add a local rumor among the Indoril that disapproves of the MG's dangerous toleration of vampires, and remove some faction reputation from Indoril.
rot
Lead Developer

Post by rot »

Vampires might not be muy popular these days... but if I can still get (lots of) lore help, I'd like to claim this!
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Granting, good luck and you know where to go with your questions!
rot
Lead Developer

Post by rot »

Posting my thoughts here in case someone else knows stuff or has ideas, any input appreciated -

- Vvardenfel vampires ARE "immortal", yes? (as in, they don't die from old age)
Now I can't find any clear data on the regular lifespan of the Dunmer. Regardless, most of them are probably horrified with anything related to vampires or unlife, however - that might just be the human in me talking - I'm willing to bet that an Imperial guild, of all the vampires' properties, would be most interested in increased longevity before considering their other powers. (or would at least heavily relate them to the lifespan aspect)
Can this be sidestepped by assuming the wiser mages have a general aversion/distate for seeking eternal life, what with the liches and all?
Or this being Ranosa's personal project, and she's focused on the resistances for her own cultural/enchanting reasons...
... or her hidden goal IS increasing longevity, which could also justify giving away the otherwise-successful enchanted result of her experiment?
*Just for behind-the-scenes context purposes, not saying all/if any/ of that should transpire in dialogue*

- In case the player IS a vampire... obviously Ranosa will just ask her questions to the player (or if the player USED to be a vampire, player gets the option to tell her and then answer the questions), but:
I don't know how/if we can decide what the player knows on this - mix of, what, Intelligence, Alteration, Illusion? -
and tbh I don't think I should at all be deciding what the player knows or not (just going out on a limb here, but vampire players miiiiight have their very own idea of how they RP their character's history)
Can I get away with something like this?
"Ranosa asking questions lalala"
[Explain what you know]
( + [Say you don't know]
[Say nothing] )
Then some "hmm, come back in a few days" and rince repeat so it doesn't feel too expeditive.

- About that, the Mainland Mages have the same vampire-greetings as in Vvardenfell - Ranosa at least should be a tad more friendly towards them; should I also add less hostile greetings to the others (directing them to Ranosa, even) or is that better left for after the other MG quests here are done? (in case they develop distinct personalities)
"Your kind is not welcome here, vampire. Ask me what you will, and be on your way."

- interview them about the nature of their condition - the resistance to regular weapons, the aversion to sunlight and the bloodlust
Additional questions to not make it too gameplay-centric, the vampires wouldn't have any answers to these - are they appropriate or any other ideas?
Immortality & unlife / are vampires "undead" proper?
Links to Coldharbour / how do Daedra react to vampires?
"Ash vampires" / any relations at all with them ?
Other bloodlines / how do their weaknesses/strengths vary ?

- Do we keep the task simple? "Get in -> Calm the vampire -> deplete all topics -> Get out"
I was thinking it could be made a bit trickier by having the vampires be decreasingly helpful as you pile up the questions, but that doesn't sound very practical. Could still make them touchy (with a decrease in disposition) when they're asked about their weaknesses.
Idea: just because the vampires are calmed doesn't mean they'll WANT to answer the questions - any idea for an offering Ranosa could give to the player as proof of good faith? Or just some varying disposition requirements according to the questions...
... but if they're Commanded, the vampires will answer all the questions to the best of their abilities (and the player can keep the gift).

- [Idea to toy around with: The vampires are clanless. They are unhappy with their disease, don't have much use for their awesome powers, and don't see vampirism as something to strive for.]
Giving them entries to the "vampirism cure" topic if it's known by the player; and if some conditions are met (Rithari's papers possessed / vampirism cure quest in progress or completed) allowing the player to give them info about it,
(Later, disabling them and placing them at shrines to Molag Bal, as cultists or corpses)
Unless there are plans for a different Mainland vampirism cure quest in the future?

- Ideas for the quest reward: "come back in a few days..." etc, then giving
Mock-Blood Amulet
CE Resist Normal Weapons 25%
/ Resist Paralysis 25%
/ Weakness to Fire 10%
/ Sun Damage 2
+ Perhaps prevent health regeneration while sleeping for flavour, or is that just needlessly annoying for the player?
+ as a bonus bump the Resist Normal Weapons to 50% while paralysed? might not make sense?
or instead making the resist paralysis: 10% resist + constant 10% chance per second of dispelling paralysis
<- scripted effects not possible on an On-Use item anyway
Last edited by rot on Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bloodthirsty Crustacean
Developer Emeritus

Post by Bloodthirsty Crustacean »

I like all your ideas on the quest: making the questions/answers not be derivative of gameplay vampirism is a very good approach to take.

The reward should not be CE - make it Cast on Use for 60/120 seconds.
a man builds a city
with
Banks and Cathedrals
a man melts the sand so he
can see the world outside

"They destroyed Morrowind? Fiddlesticks! Now we're going to have to rebuild it again!"
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

rot wrote:- Vvardenfel vampires ARE "immortal", yes? (as in, ...
Yes. Dunmer (or elves in general) also live significantly longer than the human races, though their lifespan seems to vary quite a lot. Roerich mentioned 200 as a typical Dunmer lifespan, I can't back up that number, but 100-150 for a commoner and 200 for a noble sounds about right. I like to attribute that to a combination of magic and living standards. All the living races generally regard vampirism as a terrible curse, and those pursuing immortality typically practice necromancy rather than consider becoming a vampire. I suppose Ranosa could have a hidden agenda but I really want to emphasize the scholarly nature of the Guild. They research the unconventional because it's interesting and nobody else does (or nobody that does is willing to share the information).
rot wrote:- In case the player IS a vampire...
The player is an infant compared to the older vampires, so Ranosa will want a credible source. Quest proceeds as usual, maybe with some special dialog referring to the player's condition, but they're still told to find the older vampire in the crypt. This guy shouldn't be ancient by the way, just older.
rot wrote:- About that, the Mainland Mages have the same vampire-greetings...
Feel free to give Ranosa some unique greeting for vampires, yes. Better leave the other mages alone for now.
rot wrote:Additional questions to not make it too gameplay-centric...
Yes, some non-gameplay questions would be ideal. The distinction between regular Vampires and Ash Vampires should be known to Ranosa though. I like the idea of asking them about their current link to the Daedra (which by and large they lost - Molag Bal cursed them and left them to their own devices, most "feral" or "clanless" vampires that weren't particularly educated before they were turned wouldn't even know about him, these guys could be mighty surprised to learn their condition has Daedric origins). It's also a sensible question for an enchanter to ask.
rot wrote:- Do we keep the task simple?...
I like the idea of their willingness to cooperate varying depending on disposition and whether you calmed or commanded them, but don't go overboard and overcomplicate it. Disposition sounds good but they probably shouldn't have a use for bribes. Suggest using a Charm spell along with the Calm if the player takes that route. I myself would probably not make a difference between calm and command - it's not like normal NPC dialog changes once you command them, so it's perfectly okay to treat it like more of a powerful suggestion than a straight-up brainwashing. Commanded creatures/NPCs can still have free will, it just happens to align with your actions, so the amount of information they want to share can still vary with disposition.
rot wrote:"vampirism cure"
I'm not sure about this one. Again, it could be neat, but it's also needlessly complicating the quest for something most players won't notice. I like to think the bloodlust comes with a primitive drive to self-preservation so only vampires who hold on to their sanity would want to kill themselves, but I don't see how they'd need the player for that. Here's an idea. These vampires are feral, and only when the player calms/commands them will they, in a brief moment of lucidity, express the desire to die, and ask the player to kill them rather than to abandon them and let them go back to their primitive way of thinking. This goes against Ranosa's orders, who wants to keep them around because she might have follow-up questions later. The player will have to make a decision here. (This'd also mean that we throw out the idea of making the vampires friendly to the player after the quest is done. I never really liked that anyway.)
rot wrote:- Ideas for the quest reward:...
Sun damage + something sounds good, especially as a cast on use like BC said. Give it quite an aggressive amount of sun damage so the player really only wants to use it at night, but make the bonus attractive enough to bother using it, not 10% resistance to paralysis or anything. Some resist normal weapons sounds good. I wouldn't bother trying to script any fancy +resist while paralyzed stuff for it, it seems a bit out of place and hard to grasp for the average player.
rot
Lead Developer

Post by rot »

First quest done,    + first bit of dialogue for the second (just starts the quest, nothing with lorestuff yet)

- anyone feels like checking these directions? edited:
Mugan Crypt is south-east of Akamora, but there is no pathway towards it beyond Tomaril Manor.
You'd better take a silt strider to Sailen; from there head north, but rather than follow the road, immediately turn west and follow the mountain till you've passed under an arch with a smaller one behind it. Turn north shortly after, while looking left at another mountainous formation within which the crypt is nestled. If you reach the Velothi shrine of Tiriramannu, you're on the wrong side of that mountain.
_ will have to do something about "TR_m2_Elera Dorem" 's Background entry, where she says something about cleaning necromancers from Mugan Crypt

_ either only add the vampires to the crypt when the quest is started, or seal part of it with rocks?

_ topic "noble who donated it" is of no use for the quest, can be axed if you think it needlessly clutters dialogue

_ note to self: I added the enchanted item to Ranosa's inventory after it's delivered; risks of her selling it = will have to remove that (MCP prevents the player from making her equip another one, but better not add it on her at all)
rot
Lead Developer

Post by rot »

Added WIP dialogue with the vampire.

The disposition play ended up more complicated than intended... Most questions reduce Disposition, she will refuse to answer if Disp goes too low. > 70 is enough to answer all, otherwise can Charm and ask the missing ones. Not sure if that's intuitive? I don't like it as is.

notes:

- the Mugan Crypt undead might need balancing, they're non-respawning, non-leveled vanilla duplicates
(added them if the quest isn't started. if it is, they're killed by the vampires)

- if the vampires' levels are changed for balance, will have to change the GetLevel check their script too (used to discriminate between them)

- dialogue assumes Calm or Command spell is used to speak with the vampire, have to take into account that by default it can be initiated by Invisibility too (either disable the possibility or adapt dialogue) dialogue disabled by "who's there?" if vampire isn't calmed

- added the first quest's amulet on the drawers, in the closed room behind the questgiver... which means it can get stolen. For now, just disabled the dialogue about it if PC took it. amulet disappears after the quest
Last edited by rot on Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

On script TR_m2_q_35_amuletscript: I'd be VERY careful with RemoveIteming a reference from a script on it. Why not just onActivate disable and player->additem?
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

A few random things:

- "Ranosa Orrel's notes" should be "Ranosa Orrels's notes".

- Ranosa's dialogue finishing the "enchanted amulet" quest should link to either the "duties" or the "interview a vampire" topic.

- "Interview a vampire" dialogue: I don't really Ranosa telling the player to ask the leader (how does she know?). I think it would be more natural if it is the vampires in the crypt who tell you that. Also, I'd replace "leader" by "elder", but not sure there is much of a difference.

Nice work!
rot
Lead Developer

Post by rot »

arvisrend wrote:A few random things:
Thanks, fixed,

On the vampire-player version. Same quest with a few changes in dialogue, but I probably shouldn't give the same reward to a vampire - besides the fact that it could make one a bit too close to being immune to normal weapons, it doesn't really make sense wrt the vague explanation behind the enchantment. Ideas for vampire rewards:

Cytogenic Amulet, on use for 30 seconds
/ Weakness to Normal weapons 40%
/ Resist Fire 40%
/ Restore Health 4
(basically a counterpart to the regular reward)
<- made it a simple good Resist Fire amulet

Weapon with a good on-strike Sun Damage enchantment? /or useable on-touch trinket. For the irony, useless unless player gets cured of vampirism. <- Sun Damage is only On-Self :(

Also maybe disable the on-use enchantment on the regular reward in case the player becomes a vampire?

---

Also, here's an idea for the questions-asking part: keeping a toned down version of the Disposition loss, and instead adding another 5-10 questions (on stuff like vampires in other provinces) that the questgiver didn't think of/care about, and which also reduce disposition when asked. That way we don't make the player go the boring "deplete all options" route, they just have to pick the essentials first (then whatever they'd personally want to know)
rot
Lead Developer

Post by rot »

Mostly done. Not yet playtested, but playing as non-vampire should work.

Added non-essential dialogue with the vampire, now there's a LOT... perhaps too much, though only 5-6 questions are necessary to complete the quest. (just have to read the note she gives you) What do you think?

Made the vampire reward a Resist Fire amulet instead, but that can be easily reversed.
rot
Lead Developer

Post by rot »

Playtested, small changes.

(last file is 6, somehow isn't at the top of the list)
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Good job on the continuous progress, rot!
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Not a review (this isn't finished as far as I understand), but I can find barely anything wrong in the file -- a very high quality claim! Keep up this work.

This question looks slightly stupid:
Choice "Describe our thirst for blood. Does it affect our abilities?" 50
Can you try modifying it so it doesn't appear like a question the player could answer himself? (Even the PC Vampire == 0 version of this sounds like it could be worded better. I think the notes from Ranosa actually pose a more concrete question.)

In script TR_m2_q_35_vampires, what is the point of the "if ( done == -1 )" block?

You have a weird
"ModDisposition -5
ModPCFacRep 2 "TR_MagesGuild"
ModDisposition 5"
in one of Rannosa's replies to the "questions on vampirism" topic ("A shame you had to destroy them. [...]").

In my understanding of the Mages' Guild, Rannosa shouldn't say "Not to mention the ethics... and paperwork, involved in experimenting on one of our own members!". This is a tad too bureaucratic and politically correct for MG; they had no ethics comissions last time I checked.

Nitpick: why do you sometimes write "not all answers" and sometimes write "most answers" in your comments to dialogue results? It almost sounds like these are two different cases.

While q2-36 isn't your turf, it'd be good to hint both in Rannosa's and in Francine's dialogue that Francine has further work for the player. Never hurts to have that mentioned twice.

You have this piece of dialogue result dialogue: "Indeed. Just... don't wear this in public, as the Temple priest doesn't yet know of her luck." IIRC this one is my doing and was a quick suggestion I made on IRC; I'd prefer if you polish it a bit. Here is my not-so-quick suggestion:
"A profit it was -- though you might not want to wear the amulet in public, as Ilmeni hasn't... officially parted ways with it."

Not happy with this "latest rumor":
"Word is the Mages Guild tolerates vampires. They might even be consorting with the undead right as we speak! Frankly, I'm not surprised. They have a history of getting away with their outrageous practices. That's what we get for putting up with the Imperials' guilds in the first place."
First of all, due to its position, this won't ever appear on any NPC except of those who have the NoLore variable and probably shouldn't spread rumors at all. I am wondering if it wouldn't be better to do these post-merge.
Secondly, the style is too much in-your-face (I feel tempted to add "Also they eat baby kittens"). You might want to split according to the NPC's nobility; at least the nobles should have something less direct and more sarcastic.
"They say one of the duties of the Guild of Mages is to educate. News comes around that this town's chapter are extending their... outreach to the vampires in the surroundings. It seems we are a well-educated lot here in Akamora."
Occasionally from lesser people at high disposition (due to the friendliness and self-irony):
"I've heard the mages from the Guild have been contacting vampires to study their illness. I guess they found a welcome break from Akamoran politics."

Remove the whitespace before the question mark in "to my questions on vampirism ?" (appears in two responses). Once again, this is not French ;)

I don't understand what this bribe-fail response refers to:
NAME: Response: That's not what "blood money" means, fool.
Either way, shouldn't the PC Vampire check here be the other way round?

Not sure about the meaning of "parody" in "undecided in which of life or unlife I was to parody". Or you just want to remove the "in"?

Natasia's sentences "Now we put our great curse to good use. Silent, unseen... weary, starving. Ours are bitter nights." sound out of character for her cynism and desperation. What about this: "We prey on our own now, and but the curse connects me to the kin that deserted us."

EDIT: Also, one response is not properly conditioned: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/83265276/condition.jpg .
rot
Lead Developer

Post by rot »

Thanks!
Still want to polish this a bit more, but I won't open it for the next 2-3 weeks. Feel free to directly fix on the file if you so wish.
Btw, the file you tested is _5 (but not many differences - less dumb question wording and enabled disease-dialogue on Ranosa mainly). Quickfixed a few of these so the latest is now _7.

"latest rumor":
Have yet to write disposition or non-DarkElf variants. I assume the conditions should be left for merging (unless they are just to share half the Random100 probability on one of the existing rumors?) Also, the rumor's just in Akamora, yes? Or have one for global Indoril NPCs?

arvisrend wrote: In my understanding of the Mages' Guild, Rannosa shouldn't say "Not to mention the ethics... and paperwork, involved in experimenting on one of our own members!". This is a tad too bureaucratic and politically correct for MG; they had no ethics comissions last time I checked.
"ethics" is the quickly dismissed idea, removed "paperwork" -

arvisrend wrote:"A profit it was -- though you might not want to wear the amulet in public, as Ilmeni hasn't... officially parted ways with it."
Better, but assumed she's not familiar with the temple acolyte's name. Unless Akamora is supposed to have a smalltown feel?

arvisrend wrote:Remove the whitespace before the question mark in "to my questions on vampirism ?" (appears in two responses). Once again, this is not French ;)
Huh, didn't even know we had that whitespace thing as a rule. Explains why I keep wanting to put it! D:

arvisrend wrote:I don't understand what this bribe-fail response refers to:
NAME: Response: That's not what "blood money" means, fool.
Either way, shouldn't the PC Vampire check here be the other way round?
Implies a bad pun. Too obscure? Originally the other way around, yes, but might make even less sense from a vampire PC. Either way, should add a more generic version in case player's dumb enough to try it more than once,

arvisrend wrote:Not sure about the meaning of "parody" in "undecided in which of life or unlife I was to parody". Or you just want to remove the "in"?
My english flimsy on that one, "undecided on" I think?

arvisrend wrote:Natasia's sentences "Now we put our great curse to good use. Silent, unseen... weary, starving. Ours are bitter nights." sound out of character for her cynism and desperation. What about this: "We prey on our own now, and but the curse connects me to the kin that deserted us."
Meant as campy irony, but yeah, it's the style that doesn't fit with the rest of her dialogue.
Gameplay has it so you can lifedrain anything that moves, but lorewise almost sure vampires can't feed on other vampires. Added a question on that-

todo:

- generic bribefail - done
- dialogue leading to q2-36. Order decided as Ranosa1 >> Francine1 >> Ranosa2 >> Francine2 ? Added a mention in Francine's dialogue, left Ranosa's for merge
- !player might fullderp and say they're done asking questions without even asking one, need to do something about that or at least change the reply done
- latest rumor added
Last edited by rot on Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

The file I was testing was definitely TR_q2-35-Imp_rot_6.esp...

Finishing this one is no urgency, since the preceding quests have not been started yet. So I'm surely not going to snatch this away from you.

I'd say the rumors concerning the MG should be Akamora-only.
rot wrote:Better, but assumed she's not familiar with the temple acolyte's name. Unless Akamora is supposed to have a smalltown feel?
But the sentence is spoken by the player, not the steward.
rot wrote:Huh, didn't even know we had that whitespace thing as a rule. Explains why I keep wanting to put it! D:
I think noone in English except for French people puts spaces before ! and ? marks.
rot wrote:Implies a bad pun. Too obscure? Originally the other way around, yes, but might make even less sense from a vampire PC. Either way, should add a more generic version in case player's dumb enough to try it more than once,
Hmm. I certainly didn't understand the pun.
rot wrote:
arvisrend wrote:Not sure about the meaning of "parody" in "undecided in which of life or unlife I was to parody". Or you just want to remove the "in"?
My english flimsy on that one, "undecided on" I think?
Oh, now I see what you were saying! Yes, I think it should be "on".
rot wrote:Meant as campy irony, but yeah, it's the style that doesn't fit with the rest of her dialogue.
Gameplay has it so you can lifedrain anything that moves, but lorewise almost sure vampires can't feed on other vampires. Added a question on that-
Nice idea! Yeah, I see the irony now, but it sounded out of style.

rot wrote:- dialogue leading to q2-36. Order decided as Ranosa1 >> Francine1 >> Ranosa2 >> Francine2 ?
I'm not sure if this is decided. Why, do you know?
rot wrote:- !player might fullderp and say they're done asking questions without even asking one, need to do something about that or at least change the reply
Oh, right.
rot wrote: - if the vampires' levels are changed for balance, will have to change the GetLevel check in their script too (used to discriminate between them)
Put info like that as comments into the script, by the way. This way it will be found with Find Text when one searches for the vampires' IDs.
rot wrote:- was the item "TR_amulet_dematerial" (+enchantment "TR_en_dematerial") created with this quest in mind? if so it can be deleted, it isn't used anywhere
Oh, that's my bad. I guess I'll hide it in some ancient ruins.
rot wrote:- there's no topic info on Sailen in Akamora (Ranosa's directions direct to Sailen from silt strider so that's not overly important)
Yes, that's something Adan(?) is trying to fix.
rot
Lead Developer

Post by rot »

Done,

Quick recap:

TR_m2_MG_Ranosa1 -
Ranosa Orrels gives you 300gold. You can buy the amulet from Ilmeni Bendalos at 250 in Barter, or 500 if you selected the topic before bartering. If you pickpocket the amulet there's a dialogue option but no penalty from the guild.

TR_m2_MG_Ranosa2 -
Ranosa Orrels gives you a note with the 6 questions she wants answered written on it. You can get the Resist Magic and Calm scrolls from Francine Aldard.
Once the quest is started, the non-leveled undead in Mugan Crypt die and 4 vampires are spawned inside. Only the leader will answer questions, and she can only be talked to if she's calmed or commanded (otherwise you get a "Who's there?" forced goodbye greeting).
Most questions will slightly reduce disposition, and if her disposition drops under 20-30 she will refuse to answer (can exit dialogue and raise it again through charm to ask more). To complete the quest at least 4 of these questions need to be answered, including the one on normal weapons. There's a crapload of other questions the player can ask but they don't advance the quest. After you're done asking questions the vampire has the lucidity break and asks the player to kill her. The quest fails if she dies before it's completed. (duh)
Player's rewarded with 2 to 4 MG reputation depending on how pleased Ranosa is (she doesn't want any dead vampires and prefers having all the answers), and loses 1 Indoril reputation unless all the vampires are killed. After a few days Ranosa gives you her improved "Resist normal weapons" enchanted amulet.

If the player's a vampire, things are mostly the same with variations in dialogue, except you only get the Calm scroll, and a "Resist fire" amulet reward instead. To test it as a vampire, player->AddSpell "vampire blood aundae" (/berne/quarra...) and sleep 3 days.

Notes for merge:

- need to change the ownership of some of Ranosa Orrel's items - she sells the clothes in her room, her inkwell/quill... (maybe she shouldn't be selling misc items at all?) DONE

_ will have to do something about "TR_m2_Elera Dorem" 's Background entry, where she says something about cleaning necromancers from Mugan Crypt DONE

- "latest rumor"s after the quest currently won't display (under "TR MAP 2: AKAMORA RUMORS"),
they need conditions to be integrated with the others (I'd suggest Random100 > 90 if you don't want to modify the odds for other Akamora rumors)

- made the vampires of Berne clan, didn't mention Dun Akafell. Maybe change when the Mainland clans are implemented.
Also, if new versions of Porphyric Hemophilia are added, should add them in script "TR_m2_q_35_Ranosa".

Ranosa Orrels' guild stewarding:

- her dialogue when completing the quest just links to "duties", I thought the entry leading to the next quest is better left for merge

- (the condition for the second quest's availability needs to be added on "duties" entry: "I want you to interview a vampire.")

- I added a few "Greeting 2" (vampire greetings) so she doesn't sound too hostile, but they don't link to generic "duties" (as I'd need to condition that to there being quests left for her to give), might want to add more

comments:

- don't know whether the Akamora rumours are supposed to be final, but, might want to add a "not class Noble" condition to this one:
"The antagonism between the nobles is starting to get out of hand. There are rumors that some are even planning violence against their rivals."
- this sounds weird: "I hear Rolam Salenith and Daryos Varen are still losing money on Varen-Salenith Egg Mine." (just "their egg mine"?)

_ topic "noble who donated it" is of no use for the quest, can be axed if you think it needlessly clutters dialogue I think it's good!

- "TR_amulet_dematerial" isn't placed anywhere

- there's a Voice Hello bug where female Dunmer of your faction with Disposition 40-44 have a chance to say "You dare betray the clan?".
That's not on me, it's from vanilla: checks for function "PC Expelled >= -2", that's probably where it stoopids. (don't think it's fixed in the unofficial patches)
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

REVIEW bam
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Minor edits done. More to come tomorrow. Note to self: fix the pelvis bleeder https://dl.dropbox.com/u/83265276/mugan.png .
Last edited by arvisrend on Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

A couple more edits made, including a few typo fixes, some dialogue changes and removal of the aforementioned bleeder.
Last edited by arvisrend on Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Haven't got it done again :( Quest #1 is reviewed, but #2 is the elephant in this room, so I can't even claim this is half done.

Since I'd very much prefer to spend tomorrow on q2-30, can some of you dialogue people review the dialogue? Just let me know if you're working on this file.

rot: 1) When you reset the q-variables for unanswered background questions, why do you reset them from 2 to 1 rather than from 2 to 0? Is it intentional that once the player gets a refusing answer to a personal question, he cannot ask it again, even if he increases the vampire's disposition in the meantime?

2) I've removed the cell condition on Natasia for the case the player succeeds in luring her out of the cell.

3) This case presents some more troubles, however, because she'll eventually die in the sunlight. Is there an easy way to prevent her from doing that, by having her walk back? I don't remember very well what AI was possible in Morrowind...
Last edited by arvisrend on Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Since noone has taken this so far, another couple changes.

By suggestion of rot, Natasia now never leaves the crypt (easy scripting). This gets rid of the possibility that she dies from sunlight.

Also, once Natasia has been calmed, she counts as calmed (in the sense of her "calmed" variable being == 1) until she attacks the player again (and not just until the magic wears off). This ensures that the player doesn't get any unrealistic "Who's there?" greetings while she is friendly (I guess disposition raising leads to this situation).

I have also dealt with 2 of the merge instructions in the Mainland file.

Does anyone have a vampire savegame (not too wimpy) to test these?
Last edited by arvisrend on Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Testing the diverse ways to get (and cure) vampirism is a massive pain in the ass... here's another bug fixed.
Last edited by arvisrend on Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Sorry for still not having the scripting review finished :( but it's almost done now. I'll just have to look at the dialogue result scripts, and I'm not expecting to find anything wrong. Once it's done, I'll start working on q2-30 in the same file, since the quests are going to be interlocked together and I don't like writing several pages of merge instructions.

Ranosa now has 450 barter gold.

I stripped Natasia of her summon spell since it complicates calming (apparently Natasia keeps getting back into fighting as long as the summoned scamp is fighting).

Is it intentional that the "are the Skyrim vampires different" question gives an answer only at dispo at least 40? I'd have expected something like 30 or 20 as cut-off.
Last edited by arvisrend on Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rot
Lead Developer

Post by rot »

arvisrend wrote: Is it intentional that the "are the Skyrim vampires different" question gives an answer only at dispo at least 40? I'd have expected something like 30 or 20 as cut-off.
For consistency's sake it should be 20 indeed.

arvisrend wrote:Now here is an annoying problem: The first three MG quests are all about communication. What if the player is a vampire? I'm tempted to just fast-forward to the "Interview with a vampire" quest in this case, since it just makes no sense to send a vampire to haggle with a Temple priest. But the dialogue of the "Interview with a vampire" quest is written in a way that assumes the player knows about the "enchanted amulet". I will try to add a makeshift "wait a couple days until Francine is doing the amulet quest because you can't" quest before the Interview, only for vampires of course. I'm somewhat unsure about what this will entail if the player gets rid of his vampirism and wants to return to normal duties, though; should he get the first two quests again? That would be rather nontrivial to implement...
(I think most vampire players use vampire mods, which probably allow them to speak to charmed NPCs, but aside from that...)
Agreed that a vampire player shouldn't get her first quest. So the dialogue so far fits the case where the player becomes a vampire between Ranosa1 and Ranosa2.
Perhaps easier to implement: a vampire player can directly get a variant of the second quest - Ranosa2b, with references to the enchanted amulet removed (should be in something like 3 entries from Ranosa). Then, even if the vampire PC gets cured, Ranosa2 is simply skipped if 2b > 0.
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

Almost there (Greeting 5, which is at the very end of the file).

The Skyrim response now only requires dispo 20. A couple typos fixed.

Is

Code: Select all

ModPCFacRep -1 "TR_Indoril"
a legit outcome for an MG quest (done right)? I recall us having some rules on this, but I don't remember what they were...
Last edited by arvisrend on Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Why
Lead Developer

Post by Why »

Yes, that's cool. A FactionRep reduction is good here. Don't know about any rules governing that system though.
arvisrend
Lead Developer

Post by arvisrend »

The file is good, on the scripting side. Well, I haven't checked what happens if you catch haemophilia during the quest, then talk to Ranosa, then get healed, then catch it again, but I suppose the worst that can happen at this point is some illogical dialogue. I'll continue working with this file in my q2-30 claim, since my quests will have some consequences on these ones, so please don't do any edits to this file.

Dialog/writing review should best happen when q2-30 is done.

NOTE TO SELF: don't forget about the merge instructions above in this thread
Attachments
TR_q2-35-Imp_rev_vers.esp
(119.25 KiB) Downloaded 22 times