Interiors for repurposing

Development of the Imperial city of Old Ebonheart on the Eastern Mouth of the Thirr River.

Moderator: Lead Developers

gro-Dhal
Lead Developer

Interiors for repurposing

Post by gro-Dhal »

After last night's meeting we have a number of Ints that need to be replaced. Here's the list I have (please say if i've missed anything):

i3-238-Imp - Alchemist to become an Enchanter's Shop

i3-720-Imp - Wood Elven trader to become the Guild of Barristers; three lawyers educated in Cyrodiil and specialized in the Empire-Morrowind laws. They offer legal services as well as pro bono help for escaped slaves. They can also explain to the player the exceptional legal quirks of Old Ebonheart.

i3-269-Imp - A Tribunal Temple missionary station to become a hostel run by the Imperial Cult, mostly housing/employing runaway slaves until they have enough money to ship home.

i3-725-Imp - A hunter's home to become home of a sympathetic necromancer, who practices his arts with willingly donated/sold corpses.

I'd argue for the other hunter's home (i3-724) and the scout (i3-241) to go as well to be honest. These are not really urban professions and there's not a lot to scout out in the surrounding area.

If we build a second wharf then 'i3-287-Imp - Imperial Navy Command Post' will need to move, and that spot can become something else.
Last edited by gro-Dhal on Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Test
Rats
Lead Developer

Post by Rats »

The massive sewers [url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=19486&highlight=i3591imp]i3-391-Imp[/url] will need some tweaking, since they were made to match [url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/files/maps/Old%20Ebonheart%20sewers.PNG]some old version[/url] of OE exterior. Yarr, hopefully most of the old sewer network can be salvaged.
gro-Dhal
Lead Developer

Re: Interiors for repurposing

Post by gro-Dhal »

gro-Dhal wrote: i3-725-Imp - A hunter's home to become ???????????
Any ideas for this?
Test
Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

Maybe a 'hotel' of sorts? This is a richer part of town and from what I gather doesn't have any non-faction accommodation.
gro-Dhal
Lead Developer

Post by gro-Dhal »

Aeven wrote:Maybe a 'hotel' of sorts? This is a richer part of town and from what I gather doesn't have any non-faction accommodation.
I think the Moth and Tiger (i3-277) serves that function pretty well.
Test
Rats
Lead Developer

Post by Rats »

Ideas for repurposed home interiors ie. something you wouldn't see elsewhere in Morrowind:
_home of a sympathetic necromancer, who practices his arts with willingly donated/sold corpses
_home of rich Khajiit noble who's a total racist towards Dunmer
_a local newspaper

I took a quick look at the i3-241 interior too, and it's pretty good in a generic way. Doesn't scream "scout" but rather "a retired adventurer", there's a lot of nice loot for thieving PCs to collect. The house being located on the middle-class/poor side of town makes more sense than the two hunters' homes in the well-to-do districts. I'd like to see i3-241 stay.
gro-Dhal
Lead Developer

Post by gro-Dhal »

Rats wrote:_home of a sympathetic necromancer, who practices his arts with willingly donated/sold corpses
I would love to do this in a non-obvious way. Necromancy as communication with spirits, rather than making zombies. I'm adding that to the list.

The Khajiit thing would be cool, but their society is so strange I imagine their ideas of aristocracy would be very different. What do you reckon?

A newspaper would be an interesting challenge. If anyone thinks they can pull it off well i'd support the idea.

If you want to keep the scout's home, that's fine by me.
Test
Rats
Lead Developer

Post by Rats »

gro-Dhal wrote: The Khajiit thing would be cool, but their society is so strange I imagine their ideas of aristocracy would be very different. What do you reckon?
Ah, yes. I didn't take the inherent oddness of all things Khajiit into consideration. Some sort of merchant prince('s heir), eg: "Ji'Raakhu is the first litter of the Moon-Marquis of Senchel."? The idea here was mainly to have a really well-to-do betmer in Morrowind to turn the traditional setting in upside-down.
gro-Dhal wrote:A newspaper would be an interesting challenge. If anyone thinks they can pull it off well i'd support the idea.
The newspaper was really just a whim of an idea, but now that I think of it, it could actually add very much to the OE experience. First off, you could read news and gossip from the Imperial Province (as old as they may be) as well as OE and other Imperial settlements in the province. Secondly, the paper could perhaps react to what the player does in the city; say the player murders someone important: HEADLINES!, say the player becomes the new head of the Fighters' Guild: HEADLINES!
Tondollari
Developer

Post by Tondollari »

That sounds great. I guess there would be a rotation of 7 or so newspapers plus some unique ones for the things you mentioned? Would there be a way to script the rotation for every instance of a newspaper in the city?
Rats
Lead Developer

Post by Rats »

Suppose so. Books are always somewhat awful to script though. One of the easiest ways of having a rotation that comes to my mind would be to have NPCs yelling "Extra, extra!" (in the vein of Black Horse Courier in TES:IV) every time a new issue is released.
rot
Lead Developer

Post by rot »

Replacing world instances of books / papers (that weren't picked up I assume?) is trivial, no worries there...
Rats wrote:NPCs yelling "Extra, extra!" (in the vein of Black Horse Courier in TES:IV) every time a new issue is released.
... but this with voice acting would be a real plus!
Tondollari
Developer

Post by Tondollari »

The only fitting voice files I see are argonian & imperial ones (srv_im026, srv_am010) that say "knowledge for the right price", i think intended for booksellers.
gro-Dhal
Lead Developer

Post by gro-Dhal »

I support the Khajiit, the Necromancer and the Newspaper, but only if we can find things the really need to be replaced.

Alternatively any of them could live in the castle.
Test
rot
Lead Developer

Post by rot »

How about the Necromancer is with the Legion, as their resident crime investigator (/crime deterrent). Or the Legion healer, wouldn't that be fun?

The Khajiit could be an insufferable "diplomat" heir housed in the castle but roaming in various places
Tondollari wrote:The only fitting voice files I see are argonian & imperial ones (srv_im026, srv_am010) that say "knowledge for the right price", i think intended for booksellers.
Was assuming new voice acting, which really, a couple words? In this day and age! Should be something we can get mustered up :>
Rats
Lead Developer

Post by Rats »

[url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=19486&highlight=i3591imp]i3-591-Imp[/url] -- The Sewers need to be revised.

Someone with good spatial perception needs to figure out how/where the sewer entrances should be placed so they make sense with the city above and what we can salvage of the old sewer interiors: and preferably draw a map that can be superimposed over the city's map. (I can do this without the spatial perception, but it'll take time).

We also need to figure out what new stuff we want for the sewers. The Raathim Tomb I think has been accepted (and I'd be more than willing to do it), but what else?
Tondollari
Developer

Post by Tondollari »

Was the newspaper idea abandoned?
Rats
Lead Developer

Post by Rats »

Abandoned in the sense that there's no print or office building for them in the city. I wouldn't mind there being copies of Black Horse Courier from Cyrodiil available for reading in taverns and such.