Lead Developer

i4-502-Hla

Post by Seneca37 »

Claim type: Interior
Claim ID: TR_i4-502-Hla (#2714)
Faction: Hlaalu
Parent claim: TR_4-14-Hla (#151)
Claimed by: Parted User
Files: TR_i4-502-Hla_Bugsby Bearkeley_1.esp; TR_i4-502-Hla_Bugsby Bearkeley_2.esp; TR_i4-502-Hla_Bugsby Bearkeley_3.esp; TR_i4-502-Hla_Ronde_1.esp; TR_i4-502-Hla_Ronde_2.esp; TR_i4-502-Hla_Ronde_3.esp; TR_i4-502-Hla_Ronde_4.esp

---

(-3, -14) cave.

A rocky cave a little off the beaten track, possibly inhabited by an outlaw, or just critters.

Tight entrance, very close to Teyn & an imperial fort. Check the exterior @ -17143, -112052, 4034
For North AT : http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?p=321606#321606
Ragox
Developer

Post by Ragox »

How is anyone supposed to find that entrance?

It also seems like a very strange location for a cave to be (no space for it to exist really), imho.
rot
Lead Developer

Post by rot »

Ya hence the warning about the entrance, maybe someone will find it interesting (would have to be vertical, also definitely an artificial cave). Otherwise it can be moved elsewhere
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

I think opening with a u-turn to the right and then descending a little should make for a close enough fit to the exterior, but I'd certainly encourage claimers to get creative.
Bugsby Bearkeley
Developer

Post by Bugsby Bearkeley »

Babby's first int claim.

I was thinking a bit of a maze. Crawl spaces that teleport you to different chambers in the cell.

(I was promoted, my title's just late to the party)
RyanS
Lead Developer

Post by RyanS »

Hey Bugsby Bearkeley! Remember to click on the 'claim' button in the top left corner to get this!
Aeven
Lead Developer

Post by Aeven »

You need to press the claim button! It's on the first page, at the top :)
Swiftoak
Developer Emeritus

Post by Swiftoak »

You'll have to hit the claim button at the top before anyone can grant this :P

(Also belated congratulations are in order for joining the team!)
"Idleness and lack of occupation tend - nay are dragged - towards evil."
-Hippocrates
Bugsby Bearkeley
Developer

Well that was a flurry of activity.

Advice so nice you gave it thrice!
Swiftoak
Developer Emeritus

Post by Swiftoak »

It's yours! Enjoy :)
Bugsby Bearkeley
Developer

I let this sit a bit but I'll finish it up this week. Don't bother checking for holes or anything yet, I just put a file up for the heck of it.

I've never done piecemeal interiors before. Does having too many statics lead to memory problems or anything?

And just to check, I can't put an NPC in here unless I'm cleared for NPCs, right? But I can put nasties?
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

No nasties either, I'm afraid. You could add a note in your post as to where you think nasties should go, perhaps with a diagram or something.

Interiors should generally keep to under 1000 statics. If you shoot over that, consider splitting your interior into two separate cells. I'm afraid I haven't looked at your progress yet; I'll try and provide more specific feedback later when I have time.
Bugsby Bearkeley
Developer

1000 shouldn't be a problem. Should I use the object count on the bottom to estimate?

If you haven't looked at it yet, hold off until a bit later today. I've got quite a bit further.
Seneca37
Lead Developer

Post by Seneca37 »

Yep - when you select a cell in the "Cell View" window - the Object count at the bottom of the TES Construction Set window is correct.
Bugsby Bearkeley
Developer

General layout's done. Any feedback on that would be welcome.

There are some bits that are hard to walk on. I'll smooth everything out last thing, so don't worry about that.

The bit past the doorway will be a deserted camp with holes at the bottom made by the rats that dragged everyone off. Some kind of rat miniboss in the chamber next to it.

Though if TR has any new subterranean creatures they might work just as well.
Seneca37
Lead Developer

Post by Seneca37 »

Very unique design - I expected nothing less - based on your showcase. Its tough to get a good feel for it with all the gaps. But what I see, I like. Your usage of the stalactites and stalagmites is very good. Be sure you play this in-game while developing to make sure the player can get to everything. The ladders need to have teleport set. Also be sure to check out the TR_in_mold static items - the stairs and wall may be of use to you. I can't wait to see it more enclosed.
Bugsby Bearkeley
Developer

Will do.

Is there any problem mixing mold_rock with the other stuff? For some reason it's got a noticeably worse resolution. The end product will be so dimly lit I figured it would be hard to tell, but I can still nix it if it's a problem.
Seneca37
Lead Developer

Post by Seneca37 »

The simple answer is no. You should stick with one set.

Some other pieces that use the same texture are
the in_om_ pieces.

NOTE: The TR_in_moldstairs has the wrong texture on it - it has a mudcave texture so don't use it. The in_om_rock_stairs has the correct texture. The Tr_in_mold_rocks and Tr_in_mold_wall pieces are fine.

Remember - you are working with a vanilla version. There are texture packs out there that do make the rocks look better.
Bugsby Bearkeley
Developer

Sorry, wasn't clear. I meant mold_rock has a worse resolution than the rest of the mold set like mold_boulder. It stands out in places like the bottom of the first ladder. Is that ok?
Seneca37
Lead Developer

Post by Seneca37 »

Yeah - I know - the mold rock pieces are horrible, but they are part of the in_mold set (in_mold_rock, in_moldboulder, in_moldcave...) so you can use any of them. I usually try to place either a lot of in_mold_rocks in my mold caves so that you can not tell the difference - or I just use in_moldboulders and forget the rocks.
Seneca37
Lead Developer

Post by Seneca37 »

Any progress with this?
sasquatch2o
Developer

Post by sasquatch2o »

I hope this dev comes back, has great potential.
my opinion.
Bugsby Bearkeley
Developer

Snip.
Last edited by Bugsby Bearkeley on Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sasquatch2o
Developer

Post by sasquatch2o »

I was eager to see if you would finish this. Collision walls may be needed on the floors, the top and middle section should be separate cell with a dummy bottom/ top for ladder to properly spawn doormarkers. If noone picks this up I'm willing to finish and expand on original plan.
my opinion.
Bugsby Bearkeley
Developer

Snip.
Last edited by Bugsby Bearkeley on Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sasquatch2o
Developer

Post by sasquatch2o »

To really improve at interiors, or anything else, you have to periodically stretch beyond your abilities. Thats what you may have done here on your first claim, but I don't think this would be as difficult as you might think. My last claim I had some similar problems because it was an entirely new tileset and the cave before used all rockforms. There are many examples that would help you complete this claim if you choose to do so, but I know two of mine specifically.

Refer to these claims:

Unclaimed
i4-60-Hla:

I used Ex_MH_Pav_Ladder_01 which spawns door marker. If it is a unique obj you'll have to rename it to create a new one. The second problem you have is one I also faced on my last two interiors. How I created a ladder that will tele player from top to bottom and bottom to top was by making a duplicate interior. I named one loft and the other main. The bottom and top are both visible in either interior so they appear to be the same but it is actually a different cell entirely. Next you have to prevent player from dropping into areas that overlap with other duplicate cells. For your interior you need a top middle and bottom. The top can be optimized by deleting everything outside of player view and vice versa.

Claimed
i5-58-Red:

I'm sure there are better examples, but this is a cave claim I know since I worked on it. The cave interior was made entirely with rockforms and filled int with other rock. You can do the same of your cave. If the tileset proves too unforgiving use rockforms to piece together your own walls and fill in with void the stal.

I'd much rather you finish this interior and continue to more in the future. I wont be available for the next week to work on this anyway so if you are willing to finish it as is, you should. TR move like molasses there is never a rush for anything. Also only doing cave interiors will will ensure more of your work will be used.
my opinion.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Hi Sasquatch, as a developer, you shouldn't take the tone of someone in leadership, especially not toward another developer. This leads to confusion and, worse, conflicting instructions. In the future, please stick to constructive criticism, rather than telling people what to do, or how they should be modding.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Seneca37
Lead Developer

Post by Seneca37 »

Take all the time you need Bugsby. There is no rush - my post was to just making sure you are still around. I'm sure we can come up with a solution for the ladder, so put that on the back burner and continue working on the rest, when you can. I think you have a good handle on everything so continue the way you have been; no need to split things up.
Bugsby Bearkeley
Developer

Alright, well, in that case I won't give it up just yet. Sorry for the confusion - deadlines make me skittish.

That said, this could be a month or two, maybe sooner.
Seneca37
Lead Developer

Post by Seneca37 »

Just the mandatory check on progress - I know you are busy at the moment - update when you can.
Seneca37
Lead Developer

Post by Seneca37 »

Any progress with this claim?
Bugsby Bearkeley
Developer

Got the central room into a somewhat final shape. Uploaded just to show I'm working on it.
Seneca37
Lead Developer

Post by Seneca37 »

Any more progress on this?

Note that the latest TR_Data files have ladders as doors. This might come in handy. The new files are here [url]http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=17918&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=400[/url] and were uploaded on Dec 30th, 2014.

The floors are a bit too uneven. As I played I got stuck numerous times. Where the player is supposed to walk, the floor should be more level.

The new area with all the scaffolding looks great.
Seneca37
Lead Developer

Post by Seneca37 »

Any progress to report?
Seneca37
Lead Developer

Post by Seneca37 »

Revoking due to lack of claimant activity.
Rats
Lead Developer

Post by Rats »

Claiming. One vertical cavern coming right up.
Seneca37
Lead Developer

Post by Seneca37 »

Its yours
Seneca37
Lead Developer

Post by Seneca37 »

Any progress to report?
Rats
Lead Developer

Post by Rats »

Revoked. Me and the cave lost the spark and now it's time we go our separate ways.
Seneca37
Lead Developer

Post by Seneca37 »

I know that there was some good work done here, but the style that was taken is too demanding to ask of anyone else.
If you claim this interior, you do not need to continue working on this same interior. In fact, I ask that you don't, just create your own interior.

Hopefully Bugsby will return one day and finish working on the file - it could be used someplace else.